Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
The actual cause of this collapse is that the section runs over grounds with peat layers. During construction, the soil has been reinforced with sand/cement pilars in the ground, but this has proven to be an inadequate solution. They would have better driven real reinforced concrete pilars as deep foundation into the ground, put a bridge deck on them and have that carry the road. But that is way more expensive solution.

And we have this from Miami, where a pedestrain bridge collapsed on Thursday killing several people:

Hours before the collapse of a pedestrian bridge at Florida International University on Thursday, the engineering company for the bridge met with the construction manager and representatives from the university and the Florida Department of Transportation to discuss a crack on the structure, according to a statement from the university released early Saturday.

The engineering company, Figg Bridge Engineers, delivered a technical presentation on the crack, the statement said, and “concluded there were no safety concerns and the crack did not compromise the structural integrity of the bridge.” :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/florida-bridge-collapse-crack.html?

One can imagine a parallel universe where Ancient Rome lived to see another millennium and brought the cross to the New World -- but not in the way Isabella and Ferdinand meant it.

Old Slave wrote a story here where the Mayans conquered Europe...

You're fast, Madi, damned fast!

The engineering company, Figg Bridge Engineers, delivered a technical presentation on the crack, the statement said, and “concluded there were no safety concerns and the crack did not compromise the structural integrity of the bridge.” :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Crucify them.

I loved that story but it looks like he is not going to continue it :(
It inspired several unfinished manips :)

I loved that story but it looks like he is not going to continue it :(
It inspired several unfinished manips :)

Guilty as charged! Stories From The Colonies

Don't throw away any unfinished manips, creative juices may at last flow, Geraldine has yet to experience the true "hospitality" the Mayans gave to the ignorant savages they colonised.

From Oxford Bibliographies:

General Studies on the Penalty of Crucifixion
All the studies listed here examine a wide range of ancient texts and images that provide the main primary-source evidence for crucifixion in Antiquity. Chapman and Schnabel 2015 catalogues ancient Greco-Roman and Jewish sources about the penalty. Fulda 1878 and Zestermann 1868 summarize the research as it stood in the 19th century. Hengel 1977 is a brief, but excellent, introduction to the topic, and the short Lafaye 1887 includes some pertinent images. Kuhn 1982 focuses its influential study on the crucifixion of Jesus and of others in Palestine in the 1st century. Samuelsson 2013, a published dissertation, extensively queries the Greek and Latin terminology for definitive markers of crucifixion, finding few sources that pass the author’s strictures. Cook 2014, a thorough monograph, argues that research on crucifixion should begin with the Roman (Latin) material.​

Spartacus by Howard Fast, The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie, the Warrior of Rome and Iron and Rust series by Harry Sidebottom. All very good, by my lights.

The Gladiatrix trilogy by Russell Whitfield is neither good history nor great literature, but it does have topless gladiatrices by the barrel. :tits::tits::tits:

The Falco and Medicus mystery series, by Lindsey Davis and Ruth Downie respectively, are NOT very graphic but have a few dead bodies in each novel; the latter are uneven but generally okay.

Roman Orgy by Marcus van Heller is as far from mainstream as streams go :naughty2: :fuck::b2::69:, but it fits the bill.

That's Anglophone lit, the Continent has more stuff that has not been translated into English.

Spartacus by Howard Fast, The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie, the Warrior of Rome and Iron and Rust series by Harry Sidebottom. All very good, by my lights.

The Gladiatrix trilogy by Russell Whitfield is neither good history nor great literature, but it does have topless gladiatrices by the barrel. :tits::tits::tits:

The Falco and Medicus mystery series, by Lindsey Davis and Ruth Downie respectively, are NOT very graphic but have a few dead bodies in each novel; the latter are uneven but generally okay.

Roman Orgy by Marcus van Heller is as far from mainstream as streams go :naughty2::fuck::b2::69:, but it fits the bill.

That's Anglophone lit, the Continent has more stuff that has not been translated into English.
Thanks that's a helpful list :span1:

One more.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/142024.The_Far_Arena

I read it when it was new. It has a brief but graphic "field crucifixion" of two men, which is the reverse of erotic but is convincing.

It's out of print, but you might get it from a library, and it’s available as an ebook.

Cook, John Granger. Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 327. Tübingen, Germany: Mohr Siebeck, 2014.

Jehovah's Witnesses of Poland, intellectual pirates as they are, have put the PDF of one of the most important recent books on crux online.

Cook, John Granger. Crucifixion in the Mediterranean World. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament 327. Tübingen, Germany: Mohr Siebeck, 2014.

Jehovah's Witnesses of Poland, intellectual pirates as they are, have put the PDF of one of the most important recent books on crux online.
Wow! I had no idea it was available as a PDF. What a feast! Thank you so much.

Quite a lot of books are, and more than a few of them, let's say, circulate round the Web. I'm looking for The Trial and Crucifixion of Jesus: Texts and Commentary by Chapman and Schnabel right now, I suppose it supersedes the excellent On the Trial of Jesus by Paul Winter.
Do you have an interest in New Testament scholarship per se, or is it - how shall I put it - a prurient interest in crucifixion?

Do you have an interest in New Testament scholarship per se, or is it - how shall I put it - a prurient interest in crucifixion?
I think it'd be accurate to say that I'm interested in the Roman world in general and the development of early Christianity in particular.

There are much easier ways to satisfy the prurient interest, not to mention that I'm not really into men. :)

A more reserved take on the subject of scourges appears here. Pity I can't access the full text.

Abstract
According to the Gospels, Jesus suffered the flagellation before his crucifixion. The texts do not clarify the form and materials of the scourge that was utilized. Since the beginnings of the modern era, several commentators have speculated about the scourge’s form, on the basis of the Greek-Roman literary evidence and with reference to flagellation relics. In the last few centuries, scholars have provided new indications that are exemplified in great dictionaries and encyclopedic works of Greek-Roman archaeology and antiquities, as well as in the consultation works available to biblical scholars. However, a close re-examination of the whole evidence compels us to dismiss nearly all data and to conclude that we know almost nothing about the materials and form of the scourge used at Jesus’ time.
Now we can.

Attachments

• Nic0l0tti2017.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom