Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Our old friend the Notitia Dignitatum! :)
It's an important document, but devilishly difficult to interpret in many respects,
and part of the trouble is the manuscripts only date from 15th - 16th centuries -
we can't be sure how accurate those illustrations are, after more than a millennium of copying,
or even whether they go back to the original, probably c400, or were added later.
You can say all that about the New Testament, too, and certainly the "apochrypha". Too bad they didn't preserve the newsreels (which nowadays can be faked as well).

Yes, modern times are far worse. Given free enterprise and competition, one has trouble figuring out how to use the soap dispensers and the towel dispensers in public restrooms. They're all different.
Oh yes! And then to example this mad urinals!
155078_DysonPissbeckenneu_1.jpg

Hannibal's Army: a day at the office

I read a story about a guy who worked for a Hindu temple, which owned a bull elephant. Reasonable. The Hindus have an elephant god, Ganesh. This guy's job was to prepare the elephant for ceremonies. He was on the elephant's back, draping him with cloth and flowers, when the elephant went into musth, charging anyone who came close. The poor guy was up there for 6-7 hours before a vet with a tranquilizer gun showed up.

Alexander the Great faced war elephants (genus Elephus) in India and Pakistan. But Hannibal had African elephants (genus Loxondonta), which are more temperamental. I assume the Carthaginian war elephants were "kidnapped" as older calves and trained--I can't imagine trying to corner and train a full-grown bull.

So, a day at the office in Hannibal's army:

This is a female "elephus" at the Phoenix, Arizona, zoo getting her annual squirt during their "Winter in July" event, courtesy of the Phoenix fire department.

I guess Hannibal needed "elephant whisperers".

You can say all that about the New Testament, too, and certainly the "apochrypha". Too bad they didn't preserve the newsreels (which nowadays can be faked as well).
True - and the earliest mss of the New Testament that we do have don't have pictures.
I think it doubtful that the original text of the Notitia Dignitatum did -
the mss with those symbols, like I said, date from 15th - 16th centuries when heraldry was highly fashionable,
and the scribes and artists would have assumed Roman soldiers would have had distinctive shields and badges.
They may well have done, but the way those illustrations are used in articles I find on the internet
seem to me to take them very much on trust.

Hannibal's Army: a day at the office

I read a story about a guy who worked for a Hindu temple, which owned a bull elephant. Reasonable. The Hindus have an elephant god, Ganesh. This guy's job was to prepare the elephant for ceremonies. He was on the elephant's back, draping him with cloth and flowers, when the elephant went into musth, charging anyone who came close. The poor guy was up there for 6-7 hours before a vet with a tranquilizer gun showed up.

I guess Hannibal needed "elephant whisperers".
The Carthaginians used the North African elephant (Loxodonta africana pharaoensis), which became extinct sometime during the Roman Empire. These were smaller than the modern African bush elephant, similar in size to the modern African forest elephant which is smaller than the Asian elephant. It is believe they were also more easily trained than the bush elephant.

The Carthaginians used the North African elephant (Loxodonta africana pharaoensis), which became extinct sometime during the Roman Empire. These were smaller than the modern African bush elephant, similar in size to the modern African forest elephant which is smaller than the Asian elephant. It is believe they were also more easily trained than the bush elephant.
...again I have no reply...:doh:

Today is our esteemed member Apostates birthday. In honor of the occasion, I offer this clever and informative piece on his namesake, Julian the Apostate, who brought back Roman paganism for one brief shining moment Doesn't have anything to do with crucifixion, but it does shine a bit of light on a period of Roman history most people know nothing about:
http://creekification.blogspot.com/2017/02/julian-apostate-aka-last-pagan.html
You may want to check out the rest of this fellow Creekmore's blog. He's a very talented artist and writer.

Today is our esteemed member Apostates birthday. In honor of the occasion, I offer this clever and informative piece on his namesake, Julian the Apostate, who brought back Roman paganism for one brief shining moment Doesn't have anything to do with crucifixion, but it does shine a bit of light on a period of Roman history most people know nothing about:
http://creekification.blogspot.com/2017/02/julian-apostate-aka-last-pagan.html
You may want to check out the rest of this fellow Creekmore's blog. He's a very talented artist and writer.

Very entertaining as well as informative

Julian the Apostate, who brought back Roman paganism
That was what his Christian enemies accused him of - in fact, what he attempted to introduce
was a sophisticated monotheism rooted in the Neoplatonism of Plotinus -
a very different matter from the old Roman gods. That article is amusing,
but I think it exaggerates that 'eccentricity' of Julian's beliefs,
as they are expressed in his surviving writings as opposed to the propaganda of his enemies,
and it uses 'paganism' as a catch-all term for any beliefs and religious pracitces
other than Christian or Jewish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom