Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Re-enactors typically stage two kind of events, scripted, where they know the winner and most of the moves in advance and unscripted which is a bit more of an actual mock battle.
Well the American Civil War re-enactors have muskets and canons (sometimes). I think that's a little dicier than pikes and swords. I try to avoid them. Anything that can explode in the hands of amateurs tends to worry me.

Well the American Civil War re-enactors have muskets and canons (sometimes). I think that's a little dicier than pikes and swords. I try to avoid them. Anything that can explode in the hands of amateurs tends to worry me.

The Sealed Knot have matchlocks....so if you think percussion weapons loaded from cartridges are dangerous

:peep: you may want to find yourself a wall

Mind you they are fanatical about safety, so it has been years since I last heard of an accident.

They also have cannon.........
View attachment 699961
Black gunpowder does make shitloads of smoke and flame - very impressive, but you see why we use "smokeless" powder today.
Mind you smokeless powder is not without its problems, as it gets older it can, if in sufficient quantity, ignite spontaneously.
My father was stationed at Dover on a 9 inch coast defense battery in the 1940's. Periodically they had to take the cordite which was past its "use by date" to the airfield, lay out the cordite sticks in a long snake and ignite with a Very pistol flare. The flame would race from end to end in a few seconds.

They also have cannon.........
View attachment 699961

Back in the 1970’s at an Enormous State University dwelt a chapter of Kappa Epsilon fraternity, founded by ex-confederates about a minute after Appomattox. These frat rats had a working replica Civil War War Between the States cannon, in which they would fire off with black powder at the front the their house during pledge week.

Until the time they blinded a passing cyclist, and the Campus Police bade them cease and desist.

This book will probably tell you all you could possibly want to know about the brothel in Pompeii;

In this book, Sarah Levin-Richardson offers the first authoritative examination of Pompeii's purpose-built brothel, the only verifiable brothel from Greco-Roman antiquity. Taking readers on a tour of all of the structure's evidence, including the rarely seen upper floor, she illuminates the subculture housed within its walls. Here, prostitutes could flout the norms of society and proclaim themselves sexual subjects and agents, while servile clients were allowed to act as 'real men'. Prostitutes and clients also exchanged gifts, greetings, jokes, taunts, and praise. Written in a clear, engaging style, and accompanied by an ample illustration program and translations of humorous and haunting graffiti, Levin-Richardson's book will become a new touchstone for those interested in the history of women, slavery, and prostitution in the classical world.

But you can save yourself £75 by reading Velut Luna's 'Amica, the slavegirl of Pompeii' in our Archive:
In a wonderful scene, Luna takes us on just such a tour of the same establishment,
yes, even to the 'rarely seen upper floor' and what went on there! :devil:

Back
Top Bottom