Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
Yes - we even had a playground doggerel:
"Julius Caesar,
the Roman geezer,
squashed his nose in a lemon-squeezer!"

Not so sure about the second, like Old Slave I thought possibly Pontius Pilate,
at least if they'd been to what in Britain are irritatingly called 'faith schools'

Otherwise Nero, portrayed as a memorably grotesque monster in so many films etc.

Yes - we even had a playground doggerel:
"Julius Caesar,
the Roman geezer,
squashed his nose in a lemon-squeezer!"

Not so sure about the second, like Old Slave I thought possibly Pontius Pilate,
at least if they'd been to what in Britain are irritatingly called 'faith schools'

Otherwise Nero, portrayed as a memorably grotesque monster in so many films etc.

Hadrian is quite familiar due to him having a wall.

I do not know the answer to this, I grew up with Roman history and Romans, at least a good few famous Roman men are deeply embedded into the popular consciousness. I would not be surprised if a goodly portion of the population of most European culturally influenced countries could name more than two famous ancient Romans.

It seems most have weighed in, so I’ll reveal the answer.

As I said when I posed the question, there is no right answer, not data or source to prove one right and another wrong. The answer is entirely my choice, since I came up with this. I do suspect the answer might be different in different places. For example, Hadrian. He might be well known in Britain, especially northern, due to the wall, but in America his name would get mostly blank stares (or think you have a lisp and mean Adrian). I’m thinking in terms of, if you gave the name, how many would say, “Oh Yes, I know him. He was a Roman dude.”

My list from bottom to top, the final two being the winners.

Diocletian – who deserves to be better known but who isn’t. To correct that, read and pass on my story Minnesota Moore and the Emperors’ Treasure.

Hadrian (included for the Brits – who are over-represented here)

Mark Antony – he who needs more ears (or was that Van Gogh?)

Cicero – a name used fairly frequently.

Nero – yes, fiddle players are very well known. Especially beloved on "cruxforums" due to his delicious kinks. And remembered for persecuting Christians which influences a large segment of Western thought. Which leads inevitably to the top two:

Pontius Pilate - an obscure and failed Roman Procurator in a stinking shit-hole of a sub-province, trying to rule a third (or fourth) rate country of religious fanatics and eventually recalled for 'excessive cruelty", has come down by the endless repeating of the Creed by Christians – “and suffered under Pontius Pilate”! Even today, with many fallen away, I bet an astonishingly large number would recognize his name! Although not quite as many as would know:

Julius Caesar- What can you say. Everyone knows him. The Stratford Bard certainly helped, but even before his play, Julius had lent his cognomen to a whole class of rulers (as early as 68/69 CE “the year of the four Caesars”) which remains today in such terms as Caesar, Kaisar, Czar, Καῖσαρ, Kaysar-i Rûm, Císař, and many more.
Shakespeare said it best (as usual)

“Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world
Like a Colossus, and we petty men
Walk under his huge legs and peep about
To find ourselves dishonorable graves.”

The winner? @old slave ! He will receive an authentic bone and metal laced Roman flagellum. Use it wisely old friend. It can REALLY hurt!

Last edited:
Quick Question. Who are the two Romans that the average person in the US and EU (and UK) can name off the bat. No, Cleo doesn't count; she was Egyptian (or really Greek). I have four in mind, but I believe two stand out.

I think the best known Latin names must be without any doubt “Quintus Curtius Rufus” and “Flavia Tullia Meretrice”: who doesn’t know them?

The winner? @old slave ! He will receive an authentic bone and metal laced Roman flagellum.

Looking forward to receiving it, what will you put on the customs declaration form?

Then I might loan it to @Fossy (for a fee of course) for his next adventures in some dank basement in Leeds, it's an instrument he's not yet used on Little One.

Looking forward to receiving it, what will you put on the customs declaration form?

Then I might loan it to @Fossy (for a fee of course) for his next adventures in some dank basement in Leeds, it's an instrument he's not yet used on Little One.
Unfortunately, I have been informed by UPS that it may not be shipped internationally due to being classified as a "Weapon of Mass Destruction." You will have to travel to the warm, sunny Grand Strand of South Carolina to claim your Prize.

You will have to travel to the warm, sunny Grand Strand of South Carolina to claim your Prize.

At US Customs
"Any guns, explosives, knives, needles?"
"Only a flagellum."
"Flagellum not on my list, OK, have a nice day"

At UK Customs
"Anything to declare, sir?"
"A flagellum, officer."
"And what's that when it's home, sir?"
"An instrument for inflicting pain, officer."
"All instruments must be demonstrated to ensure they perform as expected, and have not been modified in an unauthorised manner"
"Certainly officer, I'll demonstrate it on your attractive female collegue over there if I may"

Back
Top Bottom