Roman Resources

Go to CruxDreams.com
A seriously academic study of virgin martyrs and how they were written about (by men, needless to say :rolleyes: )

Narrating Martyrdom
Rewriting Late-Antique Virgin Martyrs in Byzantium
Alwis, Anne P.

This book reconceives the rewriting of Byzantine hagiography between the eighth and fourteenth centuries as a skilful initiative in communication and creative freedom, and as a form of authorship. Three men – Makarios (late C13th-C14th), a monk; Constantine Akropolites (d.c.1324), a statesman; and an Anonymous educated wordsmith (c. C9th) – each opted to rewrite the martyrdom of a female virgin saint who suffered and died centuries earlier. Their adaptations, respectively, were of St. Ia of Persia (modern-day Iran), St. Horaiozele of Constantinople, and St. Tatiana of Rome. Ia is described as a victim of the persecutions of the Persian Shahanshah, Shapur II (309–79 C.E), Horaiozele was allegedly a disciple of St Andrew and killed anachronistically under the emperor Decius (249–51 C.E), and Tatiana, we are told, was a deaconess, martyred during the reign of emperor Alexander Severus (222–35 C.E). Makarios, Akropolites, and the Anonymous knowingly tailored their compositions to influence an audience and to foster their individual interests. The implications arising from these studies are far-reaching: this monograph considers the agency of the hagiographer, the instrumental use of the authorial persona and its impact on the audience, and hagiography as a layered discourse. The book also provides the first translations and commentaries of the martyrdoms of these virgin martyrs.

A search of this thread turned out no indication that this has been shared already, so I am doing so. If it's repeated I apologize.

The Roman Guide to Slave Management:

This book is written in-character by a fictional Roman slaveowner, so you get his point of view of slavery as completely normalized and natural. The book includes OOC commentary by the actual author, explaining what the fictional Roman says about slavery and slaves.

I actually bought this book a few months ago. I recommend it for anyone who wants to know more about Roman slavery, though I'll admit I was a little disappointed by how little the section "Sex and Slaves" dealt with owners bedding their slaves.

A seriously academic study of virgin martyrs and how they were written about (by men, needless to say :rolleyes: )

Narrating Martyrdom
Rewriting Late-Antique Virgin Martyrs in Byzantium
Alwis, Anne P.

This book reconceives the rewriting of Byzantine hagiography between the eighth and fourteenth centuries as a skilful initiative in communication and creative freedom, and as a form of authorship. Three men – Makarios (late C13th-C14th), a monk; Constantine Akropolites (d.c.1324), a statesman; and an Anonymous educated wordsmith (c. C9th) – each opted to rewrite the martyrdom of a female virgin saint who suffered and died centuries earlier. Their adaptations, respectively, were of St. Ia of Persia (modern-day Iran), St. Horaiozele of Constantinople, and St. Tatiana of Rome. Ia is described as a victim of the persecutions of the Persian Shahanshah, Shapur II (309–79 C.E), Horaiozele was allegedly a disciple of St Andrew and killed anachronistically under the emperor Decius (249–51 C.E), and Tatiana, we are told, was a deaconess, martyred during the reign of emperor Alexander Severus (222–35 C.E). Makarios, Akropolites, and the Anonymous knowingly tailored their compositions to influence an audience and to foster their individual interests. The implications arising from these studies are far-reaching: this monograph considers the agency of the hagiographer, the instrumental use of the authorial persona and its impact on the audience, and hagiography as a layered discourse. The book also provides the first translations and commentaries of the martyrdoms of these virgin martyrs.

What most people fail to realize is virtually EVERY writer has a particular point of view that they are trying to get across. The better ones will include (some) data\points of view that contradict their viewpoint solely for the purpose being able to demolish those items to enhance their argument.

Propaganda is as old as written culture (Pharaohs anyone?). Facts are things that can be verified and are indisputable (ex: The Allies invaded Europe on June 6th 1944).

"Truth" is the interpretation we give to those facts (and sometimes even made up stuff) which is based on our view of the world and thus changeable.

To think that we are any better than they were (or better informed) is an incredible act of hubris every generation does.

Kisses

willowfall

More Roman Cooking
It looks like the cleanup would have been problematic--lots of scraping and rinsing. It could be that they didn't worry so much about keeping the implements squeaky clean--maybe like the German in Grass' "BlechTrommel" (Tin Drum) who cooks spaghetti repeatedly and just stuffs the dishes under his bed for next time, "enhancing" the flavor of each successive meal.

Slaves have been referred to as "the electricity of the ancient world", and it does look like they did a lot of work.

Paul of Tarsus refers to people who eat "meat sacrificed to idols" (which he allows). Apparently in Judaism at least you couldn't slaughter animals for food without expiating the sin by "sacrificing" a portion of it (i.e., feeding the priests too). He also refers to people who eat only vegetables. I guess lentils were a big thing. I can't imagine they did all that work for every meal unless they were rich and had a lot of slaves. The probably ate a lot of thick soup and bread and maybe roasted meat less frequently.

I recall a story I read once in a book about "Archeology by Experiment". Supposedly they recruited some Britains to live for an extended period as people did in the Iron Age (one guy did hide some money and went out for fish and chips during the experiment). Afterward, the experimenters examined the communal hut and were excited to find a trench near the doorway. They had seen that repeatedly in excavations, and wondered if it had "ritual significance" (everything in archeology has "ritual significance"--one wag said that if archeologists were to uncover the US interstate highway system and "muscle cars", they would say that it was a system of "ritual roads"). They asked about it. "The chickens would shelter near the door during a rain. They made an interesting little depression, didn't they." I would assume the Romans kept chickens, and weren't totally dependent on quail eggs (the latter being fancier were probably reserved for banquets).

Well, I think an ordinary plebeian Roman housewife or kitchen slave wouldn't be all that out of her depth in my kitchen. She'd be astonished, of course, by the (actually fairly basic and minimal) electrical equipment, which does admittedly save a fair bit of work, but as to ingredients, tatties, tomatoes and chillis are the only things I use most days that she wouldn't recognise - though tea, coffee and chocolate would mystify her. Otherwise my daily food would be familiar: fresh seasonal vegetables and fruit, bread and other grain-based foods (even spelt), beans and pulses, olives and olive oil, dairy - milk, butter, cheese, eggs; meat or fish, and wine, only at weekends and special occasions. Lots of herbs and spices (ground in a stone mortar). Rather more metal and glass, though I do use some earthenware cooking pots and dishes. And I don't think I'd have too great difficulty if I were time-travelled back to her kitchen.

It looks like the cleanup would have been problematic--lots of scraping and rinsing. It could be that they didn't worry so much about keeping the implements squeaky clean--maybe like the German in Grass' "BlechTrommel" (Tin Drum) who cooks spaghetti repeatedly and just stuffs the dishes under his bed for next time, "enhancing" the flavor of each successive meal.
In my student days I had an 'everlasting curry', it got better and better as the weeks went by! Actually keeping utensils clean without all the modern aids isn't as hard as you might think, anyone who's experienced living in places where there aren't dishwashers or even hot water and detergents will have learnt how it can be managed.

Last edited:
Well, I think an ordinary plebeian Roman housewife or kitchen slave wouldn't be all that out of her depth in my kitchen. She'd be astonished, of course, by the (actually fairly basic and minimal) electrical equipment, which does admittedly save a fair bit of work, but as to ingredients, tatties, tomatoes and chillis are the only things I use most days that she wouldn't recognise - though tea, coffee and chocolate would mystify her. Otherwise my daily food would be familiar: fresh seasonal vegetables and fruit, bread and other grain-based foods (even spelt), beans and pulses, olives and olive oil, dairy - milk, butter, cheese, eggs; meat or fish, and wine, only at weekends and special occasions. Lots of herbs and spices (ground in a stone mortar). Rather more metal and glass, though I do use some earthenware cooking pots and dishes. And I don't think I'd have too great difficulty if I were time-travelled back to her kitchen.

In my student days I had an 'everlasting curry', it got better and better as the weeks went by! Actually keeping utensils clean without all the modern aids isn't as hard as you might think, anyone who's experienced living in places where there aren't dishwashers or even hot water and detergents will have learnt how it can be managed.
From Plutarch:
However, he who first of
that house was surnamed Cicero seems to have been a person worthy
to be remembered; since those who succeeded him not only did not reject,
but were fond of that name, though vulgarly made a matter of reproach.
For the Latins call a vetch Cicer, and a nick or dent at the tip of
his nose, which resembled the opening in a vetch, gave him the surname
of Cicero.

So, they also used "chickpeas", which I read somewhere were mostly fed to cattle.
We had to read Cicero in third-year Latin in high school (of which thank God I remember not so much), and I found it much more soporific than Ceasar (second year) or Virgil (fourth year). So, I would much prefer he be referred to as the Spanish for "chickpea", garbanzo. It has a much nicer ring to it.

From Plutarch:
However, he who first of
that house was surnamed Cicero seems to have been a person worthy
to be remembered; since those who succeeded him not only did not reject,
but were fond of that name, though vulgarly made a matter of reproach.
For the Latins call a vetch Cicer, and a nick or dent at the tip of
his nose, which resembled the opening in a vetch, gave him the surname
of Cicero.

So, they also used "chickpeas", which I read somewhere were mostly fed to cattle.
We had to read Cicero in third-year Latin in high school (of which thank God I remember not so much), and I found it much more soporific than Ceasar (second year) or Virgil (fourth year). So, I would much prefer he be referred to as the Spanish for "chickpea", garbanzo. It has a much nicer ring to it.
I didn't know of that story about the origin of Cicero's name - it's probably at least half-true, I think the name does mean something like 'scar-face', but as Plutarch says, it was evidently a cognomen born with pride. As for the chick-pea link, again, cicer does mean 'notched' when used of leaves, like those of that genus. English 'chick-peas' have nothing to do with chicks, it's a misinterpreted borrowing of French pois chiche, Italian ceci. In Indian/ S Asian cookery, channa daal (or Kabli channa, from Kabul), though they're the smaller, nutty-tasting brown ones if you can get them.

I agree Cicero can be a bit heavy-going, though Caesar's self-glorifying and tedious battles didn't appeal to me - but Virgil is wonderful.

Last edited:
This is a rather old thing, and more greek than roman, I only recently stumbled across it,
and a search on the site makes it appear so that it might not have been posted before?

Great project! It would be surprising if the Romans didn't use something similar, especially in campaigns around the Mediterranean, as was said, they wouldn't have wanted to get cooked encased in metal armour! I know they used leather a lot, but linen canvas would be lighter and as the video shows, pretty tough protection.

This is a rather old thing, and more greek than roman, I only recently stumbled across it,
and a search on the site makes it appear so that it might not have been posted before?

The linothorax may have been fine against bronze weapons, but by the time of the Romans - at least the by the Punic wars - most weapons were made of iron. While the linothorax could still stop arrows, it was likely no match for an iron sword or axe.

Back
Top Bottom