Crucifixion Stories by Rufus

Go to CruxDreams.com

Rufuss

Governor
Rufus Journey to Crucifixion​

Part 1​

Jerusalem, 39 A.D.

We had a long Journey to Jerusalem, I never been here before, but I heard so much about it. I am from a city of Cyrene, Roman Empire, just turn 18 recently and my family sent me to Jerusalem for better opportunities. My cousin Mark lives in Jerusalem, and I will be staying with him. We arrived at Damascus gate towards the evening to where our final stop was. I sit down to drink some water, “how am I going to find my cousin?” I thought. Then someone tap me on my shoulder, I turn around, it was my cousin Mark. I haven’t seen him in two years. He moved to Jerusalem when he was 18 and was working as a Carpenter. We hugged, it was so good to see him.

“Come on let’s go to my place, I bet you are really tired from the road” he said to me

“Yes of course” I replied as we walked into Jerusalem.

“Tell me about you, Jerusalem, it feels like I haven’t seen you forever” I started the conversation.

“Things are good, been slammed with work, I am glad you came, you can help me. I live not far from here on street called ‘Via Dolorosa’ and that’s where my shop it at as well.” My cousin continued. “Remember uncle Simeon, your dad, told us a story how he helped that prisoner who was led to crucifixion in Jerusalem?”

“Yea, how can I forget” I said, as I remembered when I was younger, my dad went to celebrate Passover in Jerusalem, when he came back he told us a story of how he helped a man that was led to crucifixion. He described the crucifixion process to us, it was scary but interesting.

“Well this is the road that leads to Golgotha where they crucify rebels once in a while, this is where it happened” said Mark.

It was incredible to walk on the street that dad told me about in his story.

As we come along a crowded road, we notice a Roman Centurion on horseback approaching us. Because of the many people on the road, we do not immediately see who is following him or what they are doing. As the people in front of us step to the side of the road, a group of Roman soldiers behind the centurion comes into view.

"Move out the way, clear the path," the soldiers yelled.

Of course, Mark and I step off the road also to let the soldiers pass.

Then we notice for the first time that the soldiers are forcing three men with roughhewn crossbars on their shoulders to walk along behind the centurion’s horse. They were almost completely naked wearing nothing except the small loincloth. Every time their prisoners slow a bit, the soldiers lash them with whips. As I take in the horror of this scene, I am filled with pity for them. I cannot take my eyes off them as they approached us.

“You want to see the crucifixion?” Mark asked

“I never witness one, I would be interested in doing so” I replied.

We followed them and came to Golgotha, the place where these three are to be crucified.

Two soldiers pushed the first prisoner backward on the ground, so that he is flat on his back. Then, as I watch, one soldier was holding a spike. He set the spike right on his wrist and presses it downward into his arm, and then he slams the heavy mallet down, AGHHHHHHHHHH the man screamed in agony. The soldiers hammer six-inch-long iron nails into the condemned men’s writs, pinning them to the crossbar. The soldier moved over to the other wrist and once again the prick of the spike was felt against his wrist followed by a sudden explosion of intense pain, once again he screamed in agony as his body jerked on the ground.

The soldiers attached chains to each end of the crossbeam and he was slowly pulled up the vertical post and fixed in position towards the top. Before long he was dangling in the air hanging on his nailed wrists as the cross beam climbed the vertical post towards its final position. The prisoner was screaming in pain as the full weight of his dangling body was held by nails. The cross beam finally reached its destination and was secured firmly in place. His naked nailed body hung from the cross awaiting the next stage of his crucifixion.

Two soldiers grabbed his legs and positioned his feet against the side of the stipe. The nails were placed at his heel and several violent hits from the hammer drove the spike through the bone and into the hard wood. More screams from him as he shook his cross, violently, cursing the soldiers that had put him there. Then they nailed the second and the third man in the same manner.

I have never seen anyone being crucified before. It is a terrible sight. We stay there for a while; I’m not sure how long. The three condemned man screamed in agony as they hang from the cross naked. Then, Mark and I left the crucifixion scene to go back to Jerusalem. We walk slowly and in silence, the terrible crucifixion scene indelibly imprinted in our minds.

When we came home, Mark showed me a small little room that I will be staying in and I retired to the room and try to sleep. I took my robe and sandals off and tried to fall asleep, but I was not able too. The terrible image of the crucifixion scene keeps appearing in my mind as I toss and turn. I cannot get any rest, The horrible beating! The bloody back! The cruel nails! As I was laying, I was not able to take off my head the scene of men stretched and hanging naked on their crosses.

Then this though cross my mind, “I wonder how it feels to be crucified? How does it feel to walk through the streets carrying the crossbeam and knowing the destiny that awaits you? How does it feel to be nailed to the cross? How does it feel to be left hanging naked on the cross for everyone to see?”

Soon I found myself with my hands stretched in crucifixion pose and I began to imagine myself being on the cross. I couldn’t fall asleep until late in the night. The thoughts completely occupied my mind, I decided that I need to find out for myself.

To be Continued…

Rufus Journey to Crucifixion

Part 2

It was beautiful morning, I woke up to some noise that was coming from a busy street. “Where am I?” I though to myself.

“Good morning Rufus?” my cousin walked into the room “breakfast is ready” he said.

“That’s right, I’m in Jerusalem”

I got up, put my tunic on and put on my sandals. I walked into the back yard where my cousin was finishing preparing food on fire.

“How was your sleep?” Mark asked.

“It was okay, it was hard to fall asleep, I kept thinking of what we seen yesterday” I replied.

“Crucifixion” Mark said, “It was pretty traumatizing for me the first time a saw it too. Pilate had been crucifying many Jews recently, he is afraid that they might rebel.” he continued, “One time I was on the market buying some groceries, the Roman soldiers surrounded the market and ordered all men to get in one line. There was around 100 man there. Then the centurion came forward and told us that a Roman soldiers was killed last night, and that they have caught the man who did it. He said that they will crucify him tomorrow. Then Centurion gave an order to cease 10 man from the crowd. Two of the soldiers run up to me and tied me up. He then said, ‘you ten will be crucified as well so you all Jews will learn your lesson not to mess with the Romans”.

“No way”, I exclaimed, “What happened next?”

“I was terrified” Mark said, “I was shocked, I couldn’t believe that I will be crucified the next day. As they brought 10 of us to the Centurion, he looked at all of us and then he looked at me and said, ‘let him go, he is too young to die yet.’ They un-tied me and let me go. The soldiers crucified all of them next day, I was really lucky not to face that”

“That is scary” I replied, “so they can randomly crucify someone with out any reason, no wonder people hate Romans” I continued.

“Yea, we live in such a time” Mark said, “never know what can happen to you, come on eat your food because we have a lot of work to do today.”

I ate my breakfast and then we went into his little shop, he showed me all of his tools and the work I was supposed to do, it was nothing hard, I learn carpentry from young age.

Two weeks later…

Life in Jerusalem was going great, I help my cousin with his shop and started to learn life in new city. However, the thought of crucifixion would still be on my mind.

One day as my cousin left to the Market, I was alone at the shop. I was working with wood when a thought crossed my mind, “let me try to experience at least a part of what person feels before crucifixion”. I picked up a huge beam that was like the one I saw man carry as they were led to crucifixion, and I placed it on my shoulders. My heart started to beat really fast, then I put down the beam and took off my tunic, at that point I was wearing nothing but a loincloth. I picked up a beam once again and put it on my bear shoulders and I walked couple steps. I try to imagine being led by a roman soldier through the streets and this thought really excited me. Then I dropped the beam down and laid on it with my outstretched hands imagining the scene that I saw on my first day in Jerusalem. I looked down on my naked body then on my hands that way laying stretched on the beam. I closed my eyes and imagine myself being nailed to a cross.

“GHMMM” I heard the noise.

I opened my eyes and my cousin Mark was standing next to me and was looking at me laying naked on the crossbeam in crucifixion position.

“And what are you doing?” he said

I became so red and embarrassed, I try to play it off and tell him that I was taking a nap, he wasn’t buying it.

“Naked, on the crossbeam, nap, you were playing crucifixion, didn’t you?” he said.

“Look, I was just trying to see what those men felt like when they were crucified” I said while putting my tunic on.

“You don’t want to know Rufus, it’s horrible, May God protect you from that ever happening to you or anyone you know” Mark said, “I have seen many crucifixions in the past two years, it’s scary” he continued. “even tho I think your fit naked body would look great hanging from the cross” he said with a smile.

I got slightly shy and embarrassed, but we had to get back to work because the customer was supposed to pick up those beams for his new home that he was building.

Towards the evening as we finish all our work. Mark told me about Longinus who lives down the street from us. He said that he used to be a Centurion of a Roman army, he left the service six years ago. He has married a Jewish woman, so he decided not to go back to Rome but to stay here. Mark said that Longinus has performed many Crucifixions through his military service and if I am interested we can go and talk to him.

That got me excited, I wanted to know every detail of crucifixion.

We closed the shop and went down Viva Dolorosa, his home was close. We knocked, and the door was open by a beautiful young woman. She had dark hair and beautiful dark eyes, she was astonishing. I couldn’t say a word, she was so beautiful. When she saw us she got little bit shy.

“Is your father home?” Mark asked

“No, he is not, he is out of town, he will be back tomorrow” she replied quietly

“Well, I am Mark and that’s my cousin Rufus, we live couple houses down”

“Great, I’ll let him know you stop by, please come tomorrow, he will be definitely happy to see you.” She replied.

We turn around and made our way home.

“She way eyeing you” my cousin said,

“No, she was eyeing you” I got into defense mode.

“Not going lie, she is beautiful” he replied.

We came home, and I made my way to my room. I took my robe off and lay down to rest. I couldn’t fall asleep at first, I was thinking of the day, how my cousin caught me laying on the cross beam in a crucifixion pose, how embarrassed I was. However, I was excited for tomorrow, first I get to see that beautiful girl again, and I get to learn more about crucifixion from the person that perform so much of them.

To be Continued...

Part 2

It was beautiful morning, I woke up to some noise that was coming from a busy street. “Where am I?” I though to myself.

“Good morning Rufus?” my cousin walked into the room “breakfast is ready” he said.

I got up, put my tunic on and put on my sandals. I walked into the back yard where my cousin was finishing preparing food on fire.

“It was okay, it was hard to fall asleep, I kept thinking of what we seen yesterday” I replied.

“Crucifixion” Mark said, “It was pretty traumatizing for me the first time a saw it too. Pilate had been crucifying many Jews recently, he is afraid that they might rebel.” he continued, “One time I was on the market buying some groceries, the Roman soldiers surrounded the market and ordered all men to get in one line. There was around 100 man there. Then the centurion came forward and told us that a Roman soldiers was killed last night, and that they have caught the man who did it. He said that they will crucify him tomorrow. Then Centurion gave an order to cease 10 man from the crowd. Two of the soldiers run up to me and tied me up. He then said, ‘you ten will be crucified as well so you all Jews will learn your lesson not to mess with the Romans”.

“I was terrified” Mark said, “I was shocked, I couldn’t believe that I will be crucified the next day. As they brought 10 of us to the Centurion, he looked at all of us and then he looked at me and said, ‘let him go, he is too young to die yet.’ They un-tied me and let me go. The soldiers crucified all of them next day, I was really lucky not to face that”

“That is scary” I replied, “so they can randomly crucify someone with out any reason, no wonder people hate Romans” I continued.

“Yea, we live in such a time” Mark said, “never know what can happen to you, come on eat your food because we have a lot of work to do today.”

I ate my breakfast and then we went into his little shop, he showed me all of his tools and the work I was supposed to do, it was nothing hard, I learn carpentry from young age.

Two weeks later…

Life in Jerusalem was going great, I help my cousin with his shop and started to learn life in new city. However, the thought of crucifixion would still be on my mind.

One day as my cousin left to the Market, I was alone at the shop. I was working with wood when a thought crossed my mind, “let me try to experience at least a part of what person feels before crucifixion”. I picked up a huge beam that was like the one I saw man carry as they were led to crucifixion, and I placed it on my shoulders. My heart started to beat really fast, then I put down the beam and took off my tunic, at that point I was wearing nothing but a loincloth. I picked up a beam once again and put it on my bear shoulders and I walked couple steps. I try to imagine being led by a roman soldier through the streets and this thought really excited me. Then I dropped the beam down and laid on it with my outstretched hands imagining the scene that I saw on my first day in Jerusalem. I looked down on my naked body then on my hands that way laying stretched on the beam. I closed my eyes and imagine myself being nailed to a cross.

I opened my eyes and my cousin Mark was standing next to me and was looking at me laying naked on the crossbeam in crucifixion position.

I became so red and embarrassed, I try to play it off and tell him that I was taking a nap, he wasn’t buying it.

“Naked, on the crossbeam, nap, you were playing crucifixion, didn’t you?” he said.

“Look, I was just trying to see what those men felt like when they were crucified” I said while putting my tunic on.

“You don’t want to know Rufus, it’s horrible, May God protect you from that ever happening to you or anyone you know” Mark said, “I have seen many crucifixions in the past two years, it’s scary” he continued. “even tho I think your fit naked body would look great hanging from the cross” he said with a smile.

I got slightly shy and embarrassed, but we had to get back to work because the customer was supposed to pick up those beams for his new home that he was building.

Towards the evening as we finish all our work. Mark told me about Longinus who lives down the street from us. He said that he used to be a Centurion of a Roman army, he left the service six years ago. He has married a Jewish woman, so he decided not to go back to Rome but to stay here. Mark said that Longinus has performed many Crucifixions through his military service and if I am interested we can go and talk to him.

We closed the shop and went down Viva Dolorosa, his home was close. We knocked, and the door was open by a beautiful young woman. She had dark hair and beautiful dark eyes, she was astonishing. I couldn’t say a word, she was so beautiful. When she saw us she got little bit shy.

“No, he is not, he is out of town, he will be back tomorrow” she replied quietly

“Great, I’ll let him know you stop by, please come tomorrow, he will be definitely happy to see you.” She replied.

We came home, and I made my way to my room. I took my robe off and lay down to rest. I couldn’t fall asleep at first, I was thinking of the day, how my cousin caught me laying on the cross beam in a crucifixion pose, how embarrassed I was. However, I was excited for tomorrow, first I get to see that beautiful girl again, and I get to learn more about crucifixion from the person that perform so much of them.

To be Continued...
Interesting and classic story, very well written.

Part 2

Two weeks later…

To be Continued...

Beautiful! Can't wait for the next part

It looks to me like Rufus will soon join his cross...and I wouldn’t mind to be crucified with him!
Not until he gets arrested and thrown in to a prison cell with other condemned man who will be crucified with him, scared of the reality that is about to face him, he will be mocked by soldiers and whipped before the day of crucifixion. The day will come...

@carlorcruz You will be also arrested soon for being part of the rebel groups that wanted to overthrow Roman's Rule, you will be in the same cell room with Rufus, and will get to watch Rufus Journey to the cross. You will be scourges and nailed to a cross by Roman soldiers and hang there in agony.

Last edited:
Not until he gets arrested and thrown in to a prison cell with other condemned man who will be crucified with him, scared of the reality that is about to face him, he will be mocked by soldiers and whipped before the day of crucifixion. The day will come...

@carlorcruz You will be also arrested soon for being part of the rebel groups that wanted to overthrow Roman's Rule, you will be in the same cell room with Rufus, and will get to watch Rufus Journey to the cross. You will be scourges and nailed to a cross by Roman soldiers and hang there in agony.

Carlos had better not give up any rebel names. This could get out of hand :facepalm:

Part 3​

Next day was a usual day, we worked on a table that was ordered by one of the families in Jerusalem. I couldn't wait to be done so we can go to Longinus house to talk to him. His daughter was in my head all day long. We finished a little earlier, so my cousin proposed we go to the Siloam pool quickly to wash ourselves before we go. I like that idea, I wanted to look good for the night. We came to the pool, there wasn't much people there, we took our robes off and jumped for the swim. It was a good feeling to be in the water in such a hot day.

Then we put our robes on and went to Longinus house. As we knock the door, once again, the same beautiful girl opened the door, she looked even more beautiful than yesterday, she had a big smile on her face, she was glad to see us.

"Come on in" she said quietly. "I'll call my dad"

Longinus came out, he looked like a regular Roman citizen in his 40's.

"Hey Mark, good to see you again" he started, " the table you build for us is amazing, you are one gifted man."

"Thank you Longinus, glad to offer my services, meet my Cousin Rufus, he just moved from Cyrene, he helps me at the shop" Mark replied.

"Oh great, welcome to Jerusalem, meet my wife Magdalene and my daughter Sofia who we just celebrated her 18th birthday a week ago." He continued.

"Sofia, Sofia" what a beautiful name, as beautiful as she is, I thought to myself.

"Join us for dinner" Magdalene offered.

We walked in to a beautiful dining room and set behind a table that Mark has made for them. Longinus sat at the head of the table, on right of him was his wife Magdalene and next to her was Sofia. Mark set on the left of him and I sat next to Mark right across Sofia. As we began to eat, I was not able to take my eyes of her, I think she notice me starring at her.

“How is Jerusalem threating you Rufus” Longinus started,

“Its great” I replied

“You might as well ask him, how was his first day?” Mark said with a smile

“Oh yea, anything special?” Longinus said with excitement.

I was caught slightly of guard, I didn’t expect to go in to the conversation right away.

“Well I witness crucifixion for the first time” I said quietly

“And he has been interested in the topic ever since” Mark continued.

“Crucifixion” Longinus replied, “I done many of them, we Romans are professionals at doing the crucifixions.”

“Can you tell us more about it? After seeing three man crucified, its been on my mind, I wonder what they felt like?” I asked.

“Well let me tell you,” Longinus continued.

“Crucifixion was designed that a victim would sufferer the maximum amount of pain. It’s usually reserved for slaves, foreigners, revolutionaries, and vile criminals. Once a person gets convicted we kept them in a cell jail until we have at least couple of condemned man to be crucified. At the day of crucifixion, we would first flog the victim with a whip. The whip had iron balls tied a few inches from the end of each leather thong on the whip. After a few lashes, the skin would be cut through, and the muscles would begin to be cut.

After the flogging, the victim would carry his own cross bar called a patibulum from the flogging area to Golgotha. The upright part of the cross was typically mounted in the crucifixion area. The cross bar would be balanced on the victim’s shoulders, and their arms would be tied to the crossbar. The victim was escorted by a Centurion and several soldiers, who were responsible for guarding the victim until his death. One of the soldiers would display a sign with the crime written on it. The prisioner would then be nailed to the cross bar. The nails would be driven through the wrists, to support the body weight. The cross bar would be raised and placed on the upright post, where the prisoner’s heels would be nailed to the post. Once crucified, a he would live for a period ranging from a few hours to a few days.”

“Why did you leave the service” I asked

“Well, the last crucifixion I over seen was the crucifixion of Jesus, I knew he was an innocent man, but because of the pressure of Caiaphas, Pilate ordered his crucifixion. Watching him die I was assure that he was a son of God, at that point I ask Pilate to release me from my duties and he did with one condition is if I stay and live here in Jerusalem.”

“So, what do you do know” I asked

“Well I become a believer in Jesus Christ” he said “I am part of an underground church”

I was amazed that the former Centurion believed in the man that he himself have crucified. As we continue the dinner Longinus shared couple of the stories of crucifixion.

Towards the end of the dinner Longinus looked at his daughter and said “Sofia, take Rufus and show him our garden in the back while I chat with Mark really quick,”

“Sure” she replied,

We walk together quietly to the garden. Once we were there she told me how she grow up in this place and how she loves to spend her time in this garden. It was a beautiful Garden, I was excited to hear her beautiful voice and to be in her presence.

Then Mark and Longinus came out, they looked like they were up to something.

“Rufus, come over tomorrow night, we have a special surprise for you” Longinus said.

I look at Mark with a confusing face.

“Sure” I replied.

We left their house and started to make our way to our home.

I asked my cousin what he and Longinus talked about, He smiled and told me that it’s a surprise and I will love it. He told me that I can have a day off and that toward evening we will make our way to Longinus house tomorrow. I couldn’t be excited more.

To be Continued...

Part 3​

Next day was a usual day, we worked on a table that was ordered by one of the families in Jerusalem. I couldn't wait to be done so we can go to Longinus house to talk to him. His daughter was in my head all day long. We finished a little earlier, so my cousin proposed we go to the Siloam pool quickly to wash ourselves before we go. I like that idea, I wanted to look good for the night. We came to the pool, there wasn't much people there, we took our robes off and jumped for the swim. It was a good feeling to be in the water in such a hot day.

Then we put our robes on and went to Longinus house. As we knock the door, once again, the same beautiful girl opened the door, she looked even more beautiful than yesterday, she had a big smile on her face, she was glad to see us.

"Hey Mark, good to see you again" he started, " the table you build for us is amazing, you are one gifted man."

"Thank you Longinus, glad to offer my services, meet my Cousin Rufus, he just moved from Cyrene, he helps me at the shop" Mark replied.

"Oh great, welcome to Jerusalem, meet my wife Magdalene and my daughter Sofia who we just celebrated her 18th birthday a week ago." He continued.

"Sofia, Sofia" what a beautiful name, as beautiful as she is, I thought to myself.

We walked in to a beautiful dining room and set behind a table that Mark has made for them. Longinus sat at the head of the table, on right of him was his wife Magdalene and next to her was Sofia. Mark set on the left of him and I sat next to Mark right across Sofia. As we began to eat, I was not able to take my eyes of her, I think she notice me starring at her.

“Its great” I replied

I was caught slightly of guard, I didn’t expect to go in to the conversation right away.

“Crucifixion” Longinus replied, “I done many of them, we Romans are professionals at doing the crucifixions.”

“Can you tell us more about it? After seeing three man crucified, its been on my mind, I wonder what they felt like?” I asked.

“Crucifixion was designed that a victim would sufferer the maximum amount of pain. It’s usually reserved for slaves, foreigners, revolutionaries, and vile criminals. Once a person gets convicted we kept them in a cell jail until we have at least couple of condemned man to be crucified. At the day of crucifixion, we would first flog the victim with a whip. The whip had iron balls tied a few inches from the end of each leather thong on the whip. After a few lashes, the skin would be cut through, and the muscles would begin to be cut.

After the flogging, the victim would carry his own cross bar called a patibulum from the flogging area to Golgotha. The upright part of the cross was typically mounted in the crucifixion area. The cross bar would be balanced on the victim’s shoulders, and their arms would be tied to the crossbar. The victim was escorted by a Centurion and several soldiers, who were responsible for guarding the victim until his death. One of the soldiers would display a sign with the crime written on it. The prisioner would then be nailed to the cross bar. The nails would be driven through the wrists, to support the body weight. The cross bar would be raised and placed on the upright post, where the prisoner’s heels would be nailed to the post. Once crucified, a he would live for a period ranging from a few hours to a few days.”

“Well, the last crucifixion I over seen was the crucifixion of Jesus, I knew he was an innocent man, but because of the pressure of Caiaphas, Pilate ordered his crucifixion. Watching him die I was assure that he was a son of God, at that point I ask Pilate to release me from my duties and he did with one condition is if I stay and live here in Jerusalem.”

“Well I become a believer in Jesus Christ” he said “I am part of an underground church”

I was amazed that the former Centurion believed in the man that he himself have crucified. As we continue the dinner Longinus shared couple of the stories of crucifixion.

Towards the end of the dinner Longinus looked at his daughter and said “Sofia, take Rufus and show him our garden in the back while I chat with Mark really quick,”

“Sure” she replied,

We walk together quietly to the garden. Once we were there she told me how she grow up in this place and how she loves to spend her time in this garden. It was a beautiful Garden, I was excited to hear her beautiful voice and to be in her presence.

“Rufus, come over tomorrow night, we have a special surprise for you” Longinus said.

“Sure” I replied.

I asked my cousin what he and Longinus talked about, He smiled and told me that it’s a surprise and I will love it. He told me that I can have a day off and that toward evening we will make our way to Longinus house tomorrow. I couldn’t be excited more.

To be Continued...
Good story, like it so much, and most important for me is that it"s about Romans. Looking forward for next chapters.

Part 3​

“Its great” I replied

“Sure” she replied,

“Sure” I replied.

To be Continued...
I wonder if Rufus will end up denouncing himself anonimously, or be arrested by chance?
I also wonder about Sofia. Will she end up crucified with Rufus or will she enjoy his naked nailed body as part of the public?

Back
Top Bottom