Short Stories by DjEtla

Go to CruxDreams.com
It's always a treat to get a comment from you. Thanks very much. I liked writing this and so far it seems to be popular with a number of readers.

There's no "edit" button at this site, is there? I've been changing and developing this story at DA using their "edit" feature and I feel it's gotten better over the last week or so -- trying to highlight the mixed feelings of terror and excitement in the main character. I don't know if there's a way to post the most up-to-date version of this story here. If not -- no problem. I think the reader here will understand the basic thrust of the story.
There is an edit button but I think there is a time limit. However, any staff member/moderator can help if time runs out.

It's always a treat to get a comment from you. Thanks very much. I liked writing this and so far it seems to be popular with a number of readers.

There's no "edit" button at this site, is there? I've been changing and developing this story at DA using their "edit" feature and I feel it's gotten better over the last week or so -- trying to highlight the mixed feelings of terror and excitement in the main character. I don't know if there's a way to post the most up-to-date version of this story here. If not -- no problem. I think the reader here will understand the basic thrust of the story.
Yes, it's only 10 or 15 minutes I think. But if you want we can replace what you've posted with an updated version.
But it's a fine story as it stands - perhaps better to leave it as it is, then when it's complete,
you can supply the latest version for Madiosi to make into pdf for the Archive and ebook for the Library.

Yes, it's only 10 or 15 minutes I think. But if you want we can replace what you've posted with an updated version.
But it's a fine story as it stands - perhaps better to leave it as it is, then when it's complete,
you can supply the latest version for Madiosi to make into pdf for the Archive and ebook for the Library.
I'd really like to upload the most up-to-date version of my story to this site if there's a way I can do that without too much trouble for the staff. (The most up-to-date version is currently posted at DA and I don't expect further edits.)

I'd really like to upload the most up-to-date version of my story to this site if there's a way I can do that without too much trouble for the staff. (The most up-to-date version is currently posted at DA and I don't expect further edits.)
Cut and paste it to me in a PM. Is this replacing one post already up?

I love the tantalising unspoken "Fate worse than death" outcome if caught alive, and the very remote chance that the prey will be released with riches. Us readers can then imagine what fate we want to see, and calculate the odds on Laura being the first survivor. Active involvement in the story, even if only as brief thoughts while doing the washing-up, turn a tale into an epic.
Thank you for the very thoughtful comment on the story.

Nice start. Good writing and an enticing premise. I look forward to the hunt.
Not sure why the girls would have their hands tied. You don't hobble a deer before a hunt.

Intriguing story, but having difficulty envisioning this “hunt.” As a rope guy, naturally appreciate the aesthetic allure of the feminine form when bound. Yet, must agree with Mr. Jollyrei as to the incongruity of tying the hands of the prey girls behind their backs. Hard to get any erotic mental image from those bloody and likely broken girls taken “alive” after having continuously stumbled/fallen through rough terrain — or, those simply shot by the intrepid hunters from a distance?

Intriguing story, but having difficulty envisioning this “hunt.” As a rope guy, naturally appreciate the aesthetic allure of the feminine form when bound. Yet, must agree with Mr. Jollyrei as to the incongruity of tying the hands of the prey girls behind their backs. Hard to get any erotic mental image from those bloody and likely broken girls taken “alive” after having continuously stumbled/fallen through rough terrain — or, those simply shot by the intrepid hunters from a distance?
I really appreciate every single person who takes the time to leave a comment. Thanks. I basically just write what I feel like writing -- I'm sure others have different opinions about the details they'd like to see in a story. I'd encourage others to write and post the stories they like.

I love the tantalising unspoken "Fate worse than death" outcome if caught alive, and the very remote chance that the prey will be released with riches. Us readers can then imagine what fate we want to see, and calculate the odds on Laura being the first survivor. Active involvement in the story, even if only as brief thoughts while doing the washing-up, turn a tale into an epic.
I don't know if I've said "thanks" yet for leaving a comment -- and a very perceptive comment as well. I don't know when or if I'll continue this story -- I mostly just wanted to write a story about preparation for a hunt. But the story seems popular so far. (Over at the DA site this story has received "favorite" votes faster than any story I've ever posted.) Maybe that means people like the theme and maybe I should return to it some day.

I don't know if I've said "thanks" yet for leaving a comment -- and a very perceptive comment as well. I don't know when or if I'll continue this story -- I mostly just wanted to write a story about preparation for a hunt. But the story seems popular so far. (Over at the DA site this story has received "favorite" votes faster than any story I've ever posted.) Maybe that means people like the theme and maybe I should return to it some day.
Oh, do continue!!!

I don't know when or if I'll continue this story -- I mostly just wanted to write a story about preparation for a hunt.
Oh, do continue!!!
My feeling is that if you try to detail Laura's activities for the next five days it will get tedious.
Only you can decide if she survives; if no, a-third party description of what was done with the body will tie it up; if yes, her thoughts as she stays in the holding cell, talking to the other survivors and waiting till the next hunt?

My feeling is that if you try to detail Laura's activities for the next five days it will get tedious.
Only you can decide if she survives; if no, a-third party description of what was done with the body will tie it up; if yes, her thoughts as she stays in the holding cell, talking to the other survivors and waiting till the next hunt?
Thanks for leaving a comment. I might have a few ideas for part two. We'll see how that evolves. I'm a very slow writer so it might take me quite a few months to work this out,

“Okay, come out of the pen and gather around me,” Ann said in a serious tone to all the prey.

“I think you all know the rules. This is important so let's go over them one last time. Then you'll be on your way,” she said.

“I know you'll all be happy and eager to get started,” she said with a wry smile.

She looked at the note card in her hand.

"Timing: In a few minutes we’ll release you. You’ll get a four-hour head start. You're safe for that time.”

“Listen girls,” she said very seriously, “Each minute is precious so use each minute well. There’s no signal when the hunt starts so use your best guess. And don’t stick together – you’ll be caught easily. You need to disperse.”

“End time: The hunt lasts five days. When time is up you'll hear sirens -- they're all over the island and they're loud. If you're not 'harvested' or captured by then the sound means you're safe. You should move to any road or trail. Anyone who spots you will give aid and help you get back here. We'll be out looking for you.”

“Strategies: Some of the hunters will be stalking. Some will use dogs. Others like to get into a hidden position and wait.”

She looked around and could see we were all paying rapt attention.

“I'll let you all think about what strategies the hunters will use.”

She paused.

“You’re all smart. I’ll let you think about what your strategies will be to keep them challenged and keep you alive as long as possible.”

“After we took your clothes we spread them out for the dogs to sniff – about an hour ago. Oh Lord you should see them -- they've been having a grand old time just sniffin' and sniffin' their little hearts out! So if you're wondering, yeah, they have your scent pretty well in mind. You might want to think about that.”

“Rules: The dogs have to be on a leash and the owner has to hold the leash all the time. No hunters can to run -- they can move no faster than a brisk walk and we use GPS to prevent cheating. If you think you're being pursued I know it's tiring to move fast or far with your hands fastened behind you. But if you keep moving you might not be 'harvested.' Just watch out for the other hunters who are lying in wait.”

“Traps: We hidden a few bear traps around the island just to keep things interesting. This is a big place and you probably won't run into one. But you never know. It's something extra to think about as you're moving around. I think you all know what happens to those who are taken alive so you might want to keep that very fresh in your mind, okay?” she said, looking at all of us with a look of concern.

“Try your best. That’s the most important thing I can tell you. Even if you feel cold or ill or wounded or hungry don't despair. Keep trying all the time. The hunters are paying huge sums and they want a challenge. If you think you can’t go on, try to go on for a few more minutes – that might make all the difference,” she said with a tone of concern.

“Look,” she said, “If you survive the hunt there's a lot to look forward to. You'll get whatever medical care you need. We'll bring you back here to the holding cells. You'll get hot showers. You’ll get lots of great food. You’ll get to sleep at night a warm, soft cot. You can talk with the other survivors and hear the stories they have to tell, with important information about how you can survive in the future. It'll be a lot of fun to relax and recover from your ordeal. We'll keep you in the holding cells until the next hunt in a few months. We'll try to make it comfortable. So even if things look grim for you, keep trying your best every minute of the hunt and think about how nice it’ll be if you can make it to the end.”

“Release: If you survive 4 hunts this year you can be released. There's a prize worth five million dollars paid to you any way you like – in dollars, gold, Euros, bitcoin or whatever,” she said. “That sounds pretty good – doesn’t it?” she said with a smile.

“But look,” she said seriously, “I don't want to sugar-coat things, okay? You need to realize no one has ever made it. A few of our ‘prey’ have gotten close. Two hunts ago we had this one girl who made it to her fourth hunt. She was really excited, happy and bubbly to do her fourth hunt. I really thought she had a special talent for this. But I guess her luck ran out or she got overconfident. Anyway maybe one of you will be so skilled and so lucky that you'll pull it off. You definitely want to try very, very hard. And even if you don’t make it you should be happy knowing you gave the hunters a really tough, difficult challenge and that’s really what you’re here for.”

“We’ll get started in a few minutes,” she said.

"Any questions?"

[freeze frame – record scratch]

Yeah, it's me, Laura. You might wonder how a mild-mannered veterinary’s assistant ended up in this situation, naked with my arms fastened behind me and about to be hunted.

When I first learned about the hunt I was outraged. I thought it was horrible and unconscionable. I couldn’t understand how anyone could do this to another human being. And it was even harder to understand why anyone would agree to be hunted.

I guess my thoughts evolved. In spite of my shock I started to wonder what it would feel like. It became a fun little fantasy. I wondered how long I could last. “I'm smart. I'm tough. I'm comfortable outdoors,” I thought. “I bet I can do this.” Little by little I thought about it more.

I was starting to think about volunteering, then I learned a little more. I learned the “prey” is not only naked but have their hands and arms fastened firmly behind their back.

I was like, “No way – oh hell no!” That would make it much more difficult to move as far or as fast as I wanted. I thought that put the prey at far too much of a disadvantage and gave the hunters way too much of an advantage. Anyway, I thought, it’s humiliating enough to be hunted and to be naked – it’s horrible to be further humiliated that way.

Once again I guess my thoughts and feelings evolved. Having my arms bound back would be a big extra challenge. Since I wouldn’t be able to move quite as far or fast I’d have to use my brain and all of my other sense a whole lot more. I’d have to try far harder to really understand the terrain and figure out the best strategies to survive. Once again it became an interesting little fantasy. And on the positive side I learned the prey get to wear leather moccasins – that would definitely help me move around better than if I had to do it with bare feet. That would counterbalance some of the disadvantage of being bound. My mind inched closer to saying, “I’ll do it.”

I know this isn’t a smart decision. I know it’s not logical. Sometimes people are just quirky and complicated and not logical. Maybe there are other women who enjoy a fun little fantasy about being pursued. Maybe I just find it a little more fun than most. If I have to do it naked with my arms bound I guess that is quite a bit more scary but … somehow it’s really scary in a good way, and fun and sexy and extra challenging too.

I did some hunting with my dad when I was younger, with a pellet rifle or a small .22 – mostly rabbits, sometimes squirrels or whatever. God it was so much fun when I got one. Dad was so happy – he’d get a big, proud smile that just lit up the world for me. We’d clean it together. My mom and I would cook the meat in a flavorful stew with aromatic vegetables and herbs that filled the house with good smells. I’d feel so proud I was able to help with this meal.

Sometimes I felt a little bit sorry for the little critters. I used to wonder what they must think. Did they know they were prey? Did they feel shocked or frightened? I thought it must be scary, even horrible – but maybe kind of interesting too in a funny and exciting way. I guess I’m about to find out what it feels like.

The five million dollar prize would be extremely amazing and wonderful. I could pay off all my student loans in one swoop and have a lot left over. But deep down I didn't sign up for the money – it’s the challenge.

It's been fun and exciting so far. The limo to the airport was nice. They took me to the private jet terminal.

I went inside and the pretty young woman behind the counter said, “May I help you?” in a pleasant and crisp tone of voice.

I was feeling under dressed in a t-shirt, a denim skirt and sandals.

I wasn’t sure what to say. Was I supposed to say, “Um, I’m going to be prey for this strange hunt on a remote island….”

I thought for a second and said, “I’m Laura Simmons … and um … I think I’m supposed to fly to ….”

The young woman cut me off with a big, pretty smile and said, “Oh you’re Miss. Simmons. Of course we’ve been expecting you. Your plane is here and ready when you are. I hope you’ll find your flight very comfortable. Can I get you a drink while I let the crew know you’re here?”

I was surprised to get such a VIP reaction. I was flattered and a little uncomfortable. “No thanks,” I told her.

She told the crew I had arrived. As I was leaving the terminal the young woman at the counter said, “Take care.” She seemed to have a look of compassion and concern.

I wondered if she knew what I was in for. “Thanks,” I told her.

The flight on the private jet was a treat. The stewardess brought me a few little hors d’oeuves and asked if I wanted a glass of wine. I figured, “Why not?” and nodded to her. It was a lovely, cool and crisp white wine. I don’t usually drink much so it made me light headed. Later she brought a light dinner. For desert there was a small slice of a lovely fruit tart.

I was starting to feel like a princess. I thought, “When I was thinking about volunteering no one told me about the limo or the private jet. If I’d known about these things I might have volunteered sooner.”

When I got to the island they put me in a comfortable room by myself. It was a little bit like being in jail because I couldn’t leave. But it was okay. Ann came by to visit and chat each day. I had time for exercise on the treadmill in the room. I had access to books and music. The food and drink they brought were quite good. Dinner each night came with a small bottle of champagne – enough for a glass or two and that was really nice. I felt like a princess who was in captivity. The time passed quickly.

One day Ann came by and told me to be ready to leave. All the new prey would be moved to a holding pen the next day and the hunt would start the day after that. It was scary news but kind of fun too. Ann gave me a small package – she said it was the uniform I was supposed to wear the next day for the move to the holding pen. She told me to get a great nights sleep since sleep would be more difficult from here on out, especially during the hunt.

When she left I opened the package to see the “uniform.” I had to laugh. It was a pair of tiny, stretchy, little black booty-shorts. There was also a really small, stretchy white tank top. On the front and back of the tank top, in big black block letters it said “PREY.”

The tank top seemed like fun and I had to try it on right away. Seeing myself in the mirror was very cool.

There were a pair of leather moccasins too. They were simple but pretty with beautiful stitching that looked handmade.

The next morning I showered and gladly got dressed. I didn’t know if I was allowed to wear panties or a bra. I figured “probably not.” So I didn’t wear any. The tank top was kind of semi-sheer and it didn’t hide much – I guess that’s the point.

I didn’t know what the “holding cell” would be like. I was looking forward to meeting the other girls.

At mid-morning Ann came by and told me it was time to depart. I linked up with four other girls. We were all wearing our PREY tank tops and I had to smile at that.

As we moved toward the holding cell I could see other people moving around us. I wondered who they were. Where they hunters? Were they staff who help the hunt go smoothly?

Anyone who saw the five us together in a group would have no doubt about what we were there for.

I got to chat briefly with a couple of the other girls. We were all new at this.

One of them, named Maggie, caught my attention at once. There was something about her body language and the confident, happy way she wore her “prey” clothing that made her stand out.

I also noticed another girl, named Annie, and we chatted a bit. I got the opposite impression from her – she seemed extra nervous and worried. She seemed like a somewhat “fragile” personality if that’s the right word. I had to wonder, “Sweetheart, do you know what you’re doing? Do you realize what you volunteered for?” But I didn’t say anything like that.

We got to the holding cell soon enough. It was a simple outdoor pen made of steel bars, about ten feet square, with a ceiling of steel bars also. The floor was dirt.

Ann said there was no rush to go in. She wanted us to get some group photos first.

There was a photographer nearby who came over to us.

We gathered for a few pictures with Ann in the photo. And we took a few pictures with just the five prey girls.

The photographer was a young woman about our age. She was dressed differently – in khaki pants, brown shoes suited for rough terrain, and a denim shirt.

She seemed to know what she was doing. She helped us get into lots of different poses and took a variety of shots.

Then Ann told us it was time to go into the pen. She said it was traditional for all the prey to spend about 24 hours there before the hunt.

“So girls,” she asked with a smile. “Who’s the first one who wants to go into the cage? Who is going to set a good example for the others.” She looked at us all.

There was a pause. Maggie spoke up. “I’ll do it,” she said.

She walked over to the open door of the pen.

“Am I just supposed to get naked right here, right out in the open?” she asked.

Amy nodded.

Maggie turned to the rest of us. “Oh come on girls,” she said. “If I’m going to do this I need some encouragement,” she said. “I know you can all give me a cheer and some clapping.”

It was a great suggestion. The rest of us liked that idea – I think we all got a big smile, started clapping and cheering and whistling for Maggie. Someone called out, “Take it all off – you know you want to!”

She got a smile at that. “That’s better,” she said. She took off all her clothes without too much delay.

When she was done she lifted her arms as high overhead as she could and twirled around in a full circle to show off her bare naked body with a smile.

We all cheered nice and loud for her.

With a smile she walked into the pen. “See girls, it’s not that hard,” she said. “Who’s next?”

I guess I was feeling bold. Or I wanted to pretend I was feeling bold. “I’ll do it,” I said and walked over to the doorway to the pen.

All the other girls cheered and clapped while I got undressed. I was blushing like crazy. But I also had a big smile I guess. It was funny to be the center of so much attention while I was taking off all my clothes, maybe for the last time in my life.

When I was totally bare I copied Maggie’s example. I raised my arms up straight over my head as high as I could did a full-circle twirl in front of everyone while they clapped and whistled. I walked into the pen to join Maggie. She gave me a big hug – that felt funny since we were both bare but it felt good too.

[Continued below.]
Now is this realistic? Could 5 million really pay off all the student loans--especially if she went to law school in the US?

Thanks for your comment. Yes, even with the high costs of college in the US that amount would be plenty to pay off all loans and leave plenty left over.

GALLEY SLAVES ON THE QUEEN'S YACHT

[Story excerpt: All the girls were told to lose their white smock uniforms and every other stitch of clothing. Most of them expected that was going to happen.]

Male galley slaves had a very harsh life -- they’re naked and chained to their bench all the time with scant shelter from the elements. That’s where they have to eat and try to sleep, and do all other bodily functions. They pump sea water on deck once a day and give it a good scrubbing. But even so it was a messy place. The men were from the bottom of society -- surplus slaves, criminals, serious debtors, and prisoners from prior wars.

Service on the queen’s yacht was very different. It was a beautiful, slim vessel. Young women from well-to-do families competed hard for each 2-year slot on the crew. Only the most energetic, smart and beautiful were selected. The duties were mostly ceremonial -- they’d row occasionally, typically for a short cruise in the harbor on a warm, calm afternoon or evening. The rest of their time was spent ashore, filled with classes, meals, study, and a busy social schedule. The lucky girls could make social contacts at court that could pay off for the rest of their lives.

War came in 431 BC and the queen donated her yacht to the navy. The queen assembled the crew on the boat and told them they could depart. But she said they could also stay and serve and asked them to consider it. Most decided to stay.

That afternoon professional navy officers came on board and life changed instantly. All the girls were told to lose their white smock uniforms and every other stitch of clothing. Most of them expected that was going to happen. Some did it in a matter-of-fact way, as if it was no big deal. Others had a big smile, from being nervous or excited. A few were shocked. They had no idea they'd have to serve naked. But at that point there was no choice. They had to reluctantly do what all the others were doing and try to make the best of it.

Then chains were installed on both sides of the boat under the benches. All the women were told to lock one ankle into a cuff that was attached to the chain. Some looked scared and did it only reluctantly. Others giggled and cheerfully locked themselves in place.

Metal collars and wrist cuffs came next. When slaves were rowing their wrists would be free. The ship would also be in port from time to time -- sometimes for hours, days or weeks. While in port it was common lock the wrists of the rowers behind their back for extra security as often as possible. The cook and her assistants would help them take their food and water.

Finally the overseer came on board. With a big, hearty bellow he told them how much he loved his job. He'd use the bare young women as target practice for his whip -- especially whichever girls seemed to thinking about being less motivated that day. With even more gusto he told them how much he enjoyed having his dick sucked, and he expected enthusiastic compliance.

Some found this amusing. Others looked concerned. Many of the girls had a sheltered upbringing and it was possible some of them had never been with a man. The girls knew he wasn't bluffing when he selected one of them right away, put her on her knees, and obviously had a great time while she sucked and licked him to orgasm and took it all in like she was told.

After he was satisfied he said to all of them, loud and clear, “Don't worry – you'll all get lots of chances! And when it's your turn you better do fantastic. If you don't I'll take out my anger on every one of you. So think about how you want to do a great job – if you don't then everyone on this ship will know and I'll make sure they thoroughly hate you for it.”

The latest rumors seemed to say the war was a big one and might go on a long time. They all knew they'd be released only when there was peace, or at their death. It was very possible, and maybe even likely, they would never be released for the rest of their lives. The girls had to stay silent most of the time. When they were allowed to talk they tried to help each other stay upbeat. The shared hardships made them closer.

* * * *​

The outgoing commander, Captain Kleio, had a good transition with the new commander, Captain Agis.

They’d crossed paths over the years and had many mutual friends.

He was a newly promoted captain and had hoped to take command of one of the city’s big war galleys.

But he accepted his unusual new command with good cheer. He quickly realized that the queen’s graceful, slim yacht was well-suited for unconventional missions like carrying messages, scouting, and moving diplomats. There would be no more quiet harbor cruises on warm afternoons – stormy, cold dark nights would be the best time to slip in and out of a harbor and get to the open sea without being spotted by an enemy.

On their last evening together Captain Klieo had strong feelings. She had built up a strong connection during her years in command and felt sad to be leaving. She thought about all the excitement in store for the vessel and the crew. Everyone on board would be facing all kinds of dangers and hardships and thrilling adventures. She felt sad she would miss out on all of it.

“This boat means a lot to me. I'm sorry I have to depart,” she told Agis. “Have you ever considered having a woman for an overseer?” she asked.

Slave management was critical on a Navy vessel. Agis considered the idea seriously. “I'm not sure a woman could be harsh enough to do a good job,” he said.

Kleio smiled to herself when she heard that. “Men can be so naïve about what women can do,” she thought, shaking her head. She could imagine herself as the overseer, cheerfully walking up and down the ship between the rowers while they were tugging at their oars. She'd taunt the girls about being naked and helpless, and she'd swing her whip with cruel precision onto their exposed bodies to keep them working hard. It was a fun fantasy and she knew she could do it well.

“Oh ... I don't think that would be a problem,” she told Agis.

He nodded soberly. “Well, maybe it's something I'll try in the future,” he said. “Lars and I have worked together for many years. I think I'll stick with him as my overseer for now.”

He paused for a moment. He pointed out to her that there was one rowing seat that was still empty. “I'd like to have all the seats filled by the time we're operational at midnight,” he told her.

“Yeah,” she said. “If I can't serve on this ship maybe I can help you in other ways. I can talk with some leading families. Maybe I can find a patriotic or adventurous girl who’ll volunteer. Maybe there's a father who has a daughter or slave girl to donate. But it might take a while to find someone.”

“Maybe you'd like to take that seat,” he said.

Kleio laughed nervously at his joke, even though it made her uncomfortable and she didn't find it very funny.

“Okay, if you don’t want it I understand,” he said.

“Wait – you really mean that?” she asked seriously.

“I need someone,” he said in the clipped, professional tones of a seasoned officer. “You’ve rowed here before.”

“Yeah – many years ago!” she said. “Not at night. Not in wartime.”

He shrugged. “If you want the spot you can have it. If you don’t, okay.”

Twilight was falling fast – the evening was cloudy, dark and cool. The night would be chilly. She looked around at the rowers sitting naked and silent on their benches, each one with their arms fastened behind her. They’re in for a long and truly miserable night, she thought. Just thinking about it make her shiver and pull her own cloak a bit tighter around her body.

“You should have asked me on a warm afternoon,” she told Agis. “Then it would be easier to say 'yes.'”

“I need to know,” he said. “Do I have to find someone else?”

Kleio thought about the dining room at her father’s house. There’d be a fire, and servants waiting with her dinner. She thought about her fiancé, also an officer in the navy, and their plans for the future.

She thought about the girls at their rowing stations. She had no illusions about what they were in for – great danger, exhausting work, living with little protection from the elements and no protection from the whip and the rod of the overseer, and nothing to look forward to in the future except more of the same. She knew that the smart thing to do was to wave goodbye to the rowers, walk away from the ship, and leave them to their fate. Another part of her felt it was a strange, scary yet darkly sexy and exciting idea to stay and take on those hardships herself.

She thought about the dangers and excitement the ship was sure to face on its missions. Her sense of adventure told her it would be a thrill to be a part of it all.

“Ugh!” she blurted out, as her frustration and mixed feelings came to a boil.

Then, “Yes, I’ll do it,” she said with huge reluctance.

Agis nodded. He asked for the key-master to open the lock at the vacant rowing position.

Kleio paced nervously. She realized these might be her last few minutes of freedom, maybe for the rest of her life.

It turned out the key-master was not on board – he had gone ashore for dinner. Agis sent a messenger to find him.

He told Kleio she could wait in the captain’s cabin where she’d be more comfortable, out of the evening breeze.

She nodded. “Could I have a cup of tea?” she asked, feeling very nervous and scared about what was ahead for her. “It would mean a lot to me.”

“Of course,” he said. He told the ship’s cook to bring her tea.

She waited quietly cabin where she had spent a lot of time in the past. A candle gave a bit of light. The cabin was tiny but cozy, with a bunk, a chair and a very small desk. When the tea arrived Kleio sipped it slowly. She looked around the cabin and thought about how it belonged to Agis now – it would be a private place where he could read and write, and stretch out for rest when he had the time. She tried not to think too much about what was ahead for her, afraid she'd change her mind if she gave that topic too much thought.

The key-master got back to the ship in about an hour, carrying a lantern. A ring of keys jingled on his belt.

Agis went to the cabin door, knocked gently, and told Kleio they were ready for her.

The knock on the door was a frightful sound to her. Her heart skipped a beat. She stood up. She took a moment to breathe deep, smooth her garments with her hands and build up her courage. "I can't believe I'm doing this," she thought. Then she opened the door to the cabin and let Agis lead her out on deck.

Twilight was over by then – the night was cloudy, breezy and dark except for the weak, flickering flame of the lantern. The night air smelled damp – a hint that rain was on the way.

The other rowing girls were shocked to see their former captain making her way toward the empty seat near the bow. They held her in awe and didn’t know what to say. For a few minutes they forgot their discomforts and worries. They all watched intently to see what was going on.

The key-master opened the empty ankle cuff. He stood back and looked at Kleio.

Kleio knew all eyes were on her. She wanted to act brave. She instinctively hugged herself for warmth when she thought about what she was about to do. Then she slipped off her cloak and handed it to Agis – he said he’d get it to her father with a note of explanation.

Her heart was beating fast as she made herself take off all the rest of her clothing and her sandals. When she was completely bare she took a few more breaths to build her courage and sat down on the hard, cool bench. She bent over and locked the metal cuff on her ankle without being told. She lifted her chin while the key-master put a collar on her. Then she held out her arms one at a time while he found the wrist cuffs that fit her best and attached them to her.

Agis was pleased. “We might leave the dock soon – maybe tomorrow morning. Row hard and you’ll quickly be warm – you’ll see,” he said.

“The captain of a ship shouldn't speak to a galley slave,” she said, looking straight ahead. “And galley slaves shouldn't know when the ship will sail. It’s bad for discipline.”

“Okay. You’re right,” he said. “We’ll talk again when the war is over. I’ll release you myself.”

“If you don't dispose of me before then,” she said to him. She knew what happened to a galley slave who was too ill or injured to pull an oar with gusto. It was common to flog that one almost to death, then toss the slave overboard in the deep ocean. This was a way to tell the other slaves to stay focused and motivated.

“I'm sure you'll give us no reason to be harsh with you,” he said, patting his hand on her shoulder. He left to attend to other business and to be with his wife on shore. His words were not reassuring to Kleio. She expected little kindness from him in the future. She knew that being soft on slaves was a grave offense. A captain who was accused of that would quickly be relieved of command and put on trial. If he was found guilty he'd be sentenced to a flogging and life as a galley slave himself. Kleio had a kind opinion of Agis and didn't want him to meet that fate.

Kleio tested her ankle cuff. She could only move her foot a few inches in any direction.

The reality of her situation started to hit her more and more. She could feel the hard wooden seat on her bare bum. She held her arms across her stomach as if to hold in as much body heat as she could. She could feel the cool night breeze on her back and her face and her bare breasts. She thought about friends and family in warm, snug homes.

“Good gods,” she thought. “What have I done?” She rocked herself slowly, shivered, and thought about the future. The war could last many years. She knew this could be her whole life from now on. It was quite likely she'd never be released except for death. She promised herself she'd try not look back on her decision with too much regret, and try not look ahead with hope of being free again. She'd have to make the best of her current life, and enjoy the good parts as possible.

The key-master approached her with a small padlock in his hand. “Just one more for you, child,” he said, using a slang term that was common for slaves of any age. The key-master had a cheerful attitude -- he seemed to enjoy his work.

Kleio knew what he meant. She was dreading this part of the process. She felt like she was about to cry. But she didn't want to start her new life with a bad attitude or set a bad example for the other girls. So she took some breaths, tried very hard to calm herself and smile, and she put her arms together behind her back.

He smiled and nodded at this. She was a beautiful young woman and it was fun to see her sweet, compliant attitude. He took his time opening the small lock in his hand while she waited patiently. Then he stepped behind her and took a moment to slip the lock into the little rings attached to each of her wrist cuffs, locking her arms together behind her.

When he was done he stepped back to admire her beauty. Then he stepped away, leaving the whole ship and all the rowers in darkness for the night. The light rain started to fall.

In the end the war was much bigger, more complex and more destructive than anyone expected. It went on for 31 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noose Party

It all started when I was enjoying a quiet Saturday morning with my mom not too long ago. I was sipping coffee while she made us eggs and toast.

She seemed to be in a good mood. We chatted about this and that. There seemed to be something on her mind. I figured she would let me know when she was ready.

“Did you hear Jamie is thinking about having a noose party?” she asked me, kind of out of nowhere. Jamie Rogers was a good family friend. And I was good friends with her daughter Sidney who was just my age. We’ve grown up together.

It didn’t make a lot of sense to me. “A noose party?” I asked.

Mom seemed embarrassed but she smiled. “Yeah. She wants to have a real-life noose party. Can you believe it?”

“Wait – you mean like … you mean like … where someone really hangs?” I asked. It was hard to believe.

Mom served our food and sat down. She still had a smile. “Yes, like that.”

“Oh my God,” I said. I was stunned. “Why would she do that? Why would anyone do that?”

Mom shrugged. “It’s a really scary idea, isn’t it? It might be fun and exciting too – I’m not sure.”

“Wait – you’re not thinking about doing this, are you?” I asked. I tried to eat some of my breakfast. But I was also kind of shocked and wanted to know more.

She shrugged and smiled again. “I don’t know. Maybe. We’ll see if anyone else wants to. It might be quite an experience don’t you think? I imagine a real-life noose party would bring out a whole lot of strong emotions. It might be truly horrible. It might be an interesting once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

“You might have to hang!” I blurted out.

She nodded seriously. “Yeah, it’s part of the game.”

“Aren’t you scared?!” I asked.

“Oh yes, sweetheart. Of course I’m scared. The whole idea is terrifying. It’s incredibly scary and exciting. Just going to this kind of party would be a huge challenge.”

“Does the person get a chance to back out?” I asked.

“Well, Jamie says she wants to do this right. Everyone who attends will sign a consent form a week before they party. On the day of the party they have to sign again, to show they haven’t changed their mind. The consent form says the one who is picked will definitely hang – she can choose to do it herself or have the others do it with force. So no, I guess the one who is picked will not be able to back out.”

“Oh my God,” I said.

“I think it’s better that way, don’t you?” she said. “The person who’s picked might have an easier time going through the process if she knows there’s no choice.”

“What are the odds of getting picked?” I asked.

“Well she wants to have eight do the consent paperwork,” Mom said. “If any two back out before the day of the party then it’s still on with six. But if we get less than six the party is called off. One out of six are pretty good odds – high enough to be very scary but low enough to attract some interested players for the game.”

“So you’re going to do this?” I asked.

“I told her I’d do it if there are enough others who want to do this.”

“You’re not like depressed – this isn’t a call for help is it?” I asked.

“Oh no,” she said. “It’s not like that. That’s what makes the party so intriguing. It’s all much more interesting with people who don’t want to be picked.”

“Well,” she continued, “I suppose everyone is different. Maybe some of the women are hoping they’ll get picked and would be happy if they do. That’s not how I feel though.”

“Well ... ” she said after thoughtful pause, “if I was picked I'd have mixed feelings. God it would be horrible. But ... I don't know ... it might be kind of strange and exciting in its own weird way, don't you think?”

“God, I don't even want to think about it,” I shuddered. I couldn't help imagining it. “Well ... maybe a little,” I said.

She nodded, “I hope I could go through with it without complaining.”

“Well anyway,” she said, “I didn’t know if you heard about this. I’m sure you’re probably not interested but I wanted to let you know anyway.”

“What are you saying?” I asked. “You mean I could do this too??”

She shrugged. She nodded. “Only if you really want to. Only if you understand the risks,” she said. “You’re old enough. You could do it too. It would have to be your choice and your wish.”

“Is Sidney going to do this?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” Mom said. “Jamie was going to talk with her about it. Maybe she won’t want to. LOL – that’s probably the smart decision!” she said. “Or maybe she’ll want to join in.”

“Wow,” I thought. “It’s a lot to think about.”

Hanging parties were a new idea. I knew they happen from time to time. The idea seems to slowly become a bit fashionable. A new wave of state privacy and right-to-die court cases paved the way for effective, enforceable contracts for these games. A few very talented artists and filmmakers helped bring the idea to the public. The best artists didn’t try to hide or sugarcoat the real fear and horror that comes with a game. Yet they also made the game seem very darkly sexy and oddly appealing to those who were interested. It was a lot to think about.

“How will the person to hang get picked?” I asked.

“We’re thinking about ‘face-card draw,’” she said.

“What’s that?” I asked warily.

“Well,” she said with a tone of voice that said “I'm glad you asked,” and she continued, “Each woman starts with two items of clothing. Each one takes a card from a deck. On the first face card – well, one clothing item goes away. She’ll lose the second for the second face card. And on the third face card, well....”

“So there's no strategy,” I said.

“Nope – no one can try to win or lose. All she can do is draw a card and turn it over for all to see.”

We talked more about this in the coming weeks. When I got over my initial shock I realized that the whole noose party idea was very strange, scary, fun and exciting to talk about. But I wasn't sure I wanted to do it for real.

I talked with Sidney about it quite a bit. At some point I guess we both felt bold. One of us said something like, “I’ll do it if you do it.” We both laughed about it. And in the end we agreed to join in.

We all had a lot of fun getting ready for the party. We talked and laughed a lot.

Sidney and I were assigned to go to the home improvement store for rope. We looked at several kinds. We decided against the slick nylon rope. We picked a rough, natural-looking type with lots of little prickly hairs on it – somehow that just seemed like the best choice.

The guy at the store might have guessed what we were up to. As we were leaving the store he said, “Have fun girls.”

Back home we all took turns tying a proper noose – we all got better with practice.

Others went to a shop with police and security equipment to get the cuffs. There was a little debate between polished silver and flat black. Black won in the end. I'm glad. I think black looks classy and sexy and serious. There wasn't much debate about whether we wanted the kind with the chain or the kind with the hinge. The hinge type is more restrictive so that's what we got.

After that, just for fun, we all had a chance to play around with the handcuffs in the weeks before the party to practice. Sydney seemed to enjoy the handcuffs most of all – she seemed to look for excuses to lock her arms behind her back and wear the cuffs for extended periods. I guess she liked the feelings and she liked how they made her look. I played around and had fun with them too – we all did. We all promised that if we were the one who is picked we’d put them on properly, nice and snug.

We got some champagne too.

Anyway, the whole run-up to the party was fun. And it got better as the time for the party got close.

Sydney and I went shopping for new lingerie and shoes. We each got a manicure and pedicure and waxing.

Even the paperwork was kind of cool – I had to smile when it was my turn to sign at the lawyer's office. It was exciting and made me feel grown up.

I got to the party early and took the opportunity to strip down to lingerie right away. That was scary but a lot of fun. I felt very grown up and sexy to show off my skimpy little black little bra and panties to the others, especially while wearing my new shoes.

There were seven of us. Jamie’s house had a lovely finished basement and it was comfortably warm.

I was worried about the outcome of the game – mainly about my mom and Sidney and Jamie. I didn’t really know the other women as well. They worked at the school where Jamie was a teacher – Carol was a teacher too, Suzy was a secretary, and Vicky was the school nurse. I figured it wouldn’t be quite as hard seeing them hang. But whatever happened I decided it’s all part of the overall emotional experience.

Everyone had obviously worn some special lingerie and shoes. It was fun to see all the beautiful things everyone had on. There were lots of compliments going about. Sydney wore some especially skimpy little panties. They didn't cover much. She was nervous but she liked how they looked. Suzy had made a bold choice. She was a petite, slim girl and she wore a delicate little shelf bra with pretty lace trim. It gave some support to her small breasts from below, which she didn't really need. And it left her areolas and perky nipples exposed for all to see. It all looked really sweet and cute and feminine and pretty. So she got lots of extra compliments and extra attention from everyone at the party. She seemed to enjoy that.

All of us with long hair had it pinned up – we all agreed on that so the hair on whoever got picked would not interfere with the noose or with the onlookers getting a good view during the hanging.

There were a few small hors d’oeuvres. I tried to nibble a little and act casual. But I was too nervous to eat. In some ways I was eager for the game to start. But in some ways I wanted to put if off as long as possible.

While we were waiting to get started Sydney and I walked to one end of the room, to check out the noose. It was ready to go, along with a foot stool underneath. There were extra lights at that end of the room -- it was well lit up. The handcuffs looked cool and sinister – just waiting for someone.

1574113179358.png

When the time was right Jamie called us together.

It was a weird feeling to gather around the table with the cards in the center. We were all scared. But in spite of the fear and the serious reason we were there, everyone was pretty happy and upbeat.

Jamie shuffled the cards a few extra times in front of all of us to show they are random. Carol cut the cards and we were ready to begin.

Jamie was willing to go first. She started off with a quick little reminder. “Okay girls, one of us will get picked,” she said with a cheerful smile. “We're all here for our own reasons. We all have our hopes and fears about this. When someone gets picked let's not be too sad or down about it.”
Everyone nodded.

“If you need to feel sad you can do that after it's all over,” she continued. “But until then, the kindest and nicest thing we can do for whoever is picked is to help her get through it all with the best possible attitude. So let's all stay cheerful and let's have fun with this.”

It was good advice. I told myself that no matter what happened I'd try to handle it well.

Then we started the game.
With seven women I figured my odds were pretty good.

Anyway – here I am now, standing on a small stool, wearing nothing on my body but a noose, and the handcuffs holding my arms behind my back. The cuffs are tight and the hard steel will cause pain if I squirm or fidget too much, so I’m trying to mostly be still.

I was surprised when I was picked. Okay – I wasn’t exactly surprised. I was absolutely stunned and speechless.

When we started picking cards I was actually hoping to draw a face-card or two. I thought it would be fun to do that and lose some clothing.

The first time I got one I couldn't help smile and giggle like all the others were doing. It didn't take me long to slip off my bra and toss it aside with a big smile. I was kind of shocked to realize my nipples are all stiff and pointy. I guess that's from some strong mix of stress and deep fear and excitement. There was nothing I could do about that except blush and laugh. And anyway, I wasn't the only one who was like that.

The second face card was fun too. Everyone was laughing and joking. When I turned it over I got whistles and cat-calls from the other women. I was blushing and smiling. I guess I was pretty quick to shimmy out of my panties and toss them aside while the others watched and clapped. Even my mom clapped for encouragement, which was kind of fun and funny. When my panties were gone I guess I was feeling bold because I put my hands on my head, gave a smile and wiggled my hips for all to see, which got a few more cat-calls and cheers.

I knew in the back of my mind I knew the game was getting very serious. But I was having fun and just didn't focus on that too much. Even when my clothes were gone I wasn’t too worried. Other women were naked too and I guess it just seemed likely someone else was going to draw the third face card.

For some reason I wasn’t super scared as I turned over my last card – until I looked. Then my heart just about stopped cold.

I froze. Everyone was silent for just a second.

“We have a winner,” Jamie said softly.

Some gasped. Others cheered. A few clapped.

For a moment I was stunned. I didn't know what to do.

I saw Jamie tap something on her phone. I realized it was a timer. Then she looked at me. “Better hurry, sweetheart,” she said seriously.

We’d been over the rules many times and everyone knew them well. When someone is picked she has a tight time limit to get up on the stool, get the noose on and get cuffed.

There’s a penalty for those who don’t comply – immediate hanging with no chance to catch her breath or collect her thoughts or anything like that. That’s a scary and undignified way to go.

In spite of my shock I knew I had to get going – the seconds were ticking away.

I got one wrist cuffed okay – I even remembered to put it on with the keyhole facing away from my hand, which we all agreed was the best and most proper way to wear them. The footstool was small – barely big enough to stand on. I had to step up on it carefully, especially because of my heels that I wasn't used to wearing. Then I slipped the noose over my head and pulled it snug. The tighter the better, I figured. Then I made myself quickly put my arms together and slip on the second cuff with no delay. Locking my arms behind my back was really a scary moment. And it felt kind of good too in a weird way – it was nice to think I was crossing a point of no return. It's complicated.

“Time!” I said as confidently as I could manage, praying I had met the time limit.

Jamie tapped the timer on her phone. She picked it up and took her own sweet time looking at the readout. It may have only taken her a few seconds but it felt like forever and my heart was pounding like crazy. Then Jamie nodded said I met the goal.

That was a slight relief but my heart was beating really hard. I thought others could see it in my chest. My thoughts were a whirlwind. How should I react? Should I laugh and act bold? Should I say something to the others? I thought I might burst out in tears but wanted to stay calm. I tried really hard take deep breaths, calm down, and think about what's ahead. I figured it’s going to hurt bad. Well, I guess it's supposed to hurt. It’s not supposed to be easy, right? I started to wish we got that nice, slick nylon rope – the kind that would probably close up quick and smooth. I wasn't sure how well this prickly hemp rope will close up, especially because we tied the coils on the noose a bit snug and I don’t weigh much. We figured that snug coils would make the noose close up slowly and that would make for a better show. I guess I’m going to find out if that’s true.

While I was still in shock I was startled by the "Pop!" of a champagne cork at the far end of the room.

My mom came over to chat.

“I'm sorry you got picked, sweetheart,” she said, looking up at me as I stood on the stool. "That's bad luck."

“Someone had to get picked,” I said, trying to pretend I was feeling brave and bold.

“Well, okay, that’s a good attitude,” she said. “But I'm sorry I got you in to this. I'd trade places with you if I could.”

“That's not how the game is played,” I said, with mixed feelings.

“I know,” she said. Then after a pause she asked, “Do you think you can step off when the time comes, or do you need someone to help you?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “I think I can do it. We’ll see.”

“Did you get the handcuffs on tight?” Mom asked.

I nodded. “They’re tight.”

“We don’t want you coming loose when you struggle,” she said.

“No,” I said.

1574113220651.png

Jamie and Sydney drifted over to talk. They both had champagne and Jamie had an extra glass for Mom. It was funny how none of them had a stitch on except their shoes, and none of them seemed to mind being bare.

Jamie took some time to look over my body from head to toe.

That made me feel kind of funny, especially because I realized my nipples were even more engorged and erect than before. I guess that was from the fear. And, okay, maybe I was feeling kind of excited too in an odd way.

“You look great,” Jamie said when she spoke up. “Pretty shoes,” she said.

“Thanks,” I said.

“Well how are you feeling?” Jamie asked.

“Okay I guess,” I said with a sigh. “Really nervous,” I added.

“I bet,” she said. “But don't worry your pretty little head too much – we're here to help and I know you'll do great.”

“Did you get those cuffs on snug?” she asked.

“Yes, they're snug!” I said with some frustration. “Everyone can stop asking me that please.”

“Heh – don’t get snippy with me young lady,” she said in a sly tone. “If you’re going to be unpleasant I can take that footstool away from you right now.” She bent over as if to take hold of the stool.

“No! No! No!” I blurted, truly terrified. “Please! Please! I’ll be good!”

(continued below)

Last edited by a moderator:
(continued from above)

Jamie smiled. “Well okay,” she said sweetly. “I know you're nervous about hanging. But you still have to be pleasant, okay?”

“I will,” I nodded, trying to catch my breath, “I promise.”

She looked at the timer. “You have a few minutes left in the green period sweetheart. Enjoy your time,” she said. “When we move into the yellow period I expect you to step off, okay? Don’t make us get to the red – that’s undignified.”

“Yes Ma'am,” I said. I was really scared and breathing deep.

“I’m sure you’ll give us a lively little show,” she said.

Sydney had been silent until now. She just looked up at me, studying me intensely.

“God, you must be scared,” she said.

I nodded. “I guess so,” I sighed.

Jamie said to Sydney, “Say something pleasant to her.”

Sydney looked up at me. “You're really brave,” she said.

“Thanks,” I sighed.

“And you look super hot,” she added with a sexy tone of voice.

That made me smile. “Thanks,” I said, trying to act confident.

“I hope it doesn't hurt too much to hang,” she said.

I sighed and nodded. “I guess I'll find out.”

I noticed Vicky now had a stethoscope around her bare shoulders. I gave me a new chill from that because I knew what it was for. She was going to check for a heartbeat after I had been hanging long enough. When my heart had fully stopped beating that would signal the end of the game and everyone would be free to get dressed again.

The other women sipped a bit of wine and tasted the snacks. It was easy to tell from their tone of voice and body language they were feeling very relieved from the stress of the game.

Little by little they gathered around me in an arc.

I could sense my time was running out.

I was breathing really hard and trying to control my feelings. There was nothing else I could do but stand on the stool and wait.

Suzy walked up next to Carol. With a little laugh and a pretty smile she said, “I guess this means I don't escape going to work on Monday.”

Carol nodded. “Yeah,” she said soberly, “I was thinking the same thing.” Then she added, “Well, maybe there will be another noose party some day.”

Suzy nodded. “Count me in,” she said cheerfully.

The last minutes slipped by quickly.

When I knew my time was about up Jamie came over and stood close. She reached up her hand and laid it on my chest above my left breast -- about where my heart is.

She held her hand there for a moment. “Wow,” she said softly, mostly to herself. “So much warmth. So much life.”

I didn't know what to do. I just stood still on the footstool.

Then Jamie took her hand away, stepped back, took a deep breath, and spoke up. “Well sweetheart, you might be getting bored just standing there. You're probably eager to take the next step on your journey. So I have good news for you,” she said with a nice tone of voice. “It's about time to get you dangling. It's time for you and that noose to get more intimate with each other and get more acquainted if you know what I mean,” she said with a nice smile. “It's exciting,” she said.

I gulped. I tried to nod and agree.

“You've got to do this,” she said. “So you probably want to do it with good style and good cheer. That way everyone can look back later and remember how happy and brave you were, right?”

“Okay,” I said with mixed feelings.

Jamie turned to speak to the others. “Annie is going to be very brave and bold. She's happy to give us a good show. So even if this part is tough to watch we should all give her our full attention.”

Several of the women nodded.

Turning back to me she said, “You look gorgeous. You've been a good sport so far. I know all of this isn't easy and you've done great. You should stand up straight and tall and feel very proud about how brave you've been.”

I guess that made me smile a little.

“Now comes the good part,” she said. “You're probably ready to get going,” she said with a cheerful smile. “And we all want to see that cute little body squirmin' and a-wigglin' for us. We want to see those slim, sexy legs a-kickin'. So take some nice, deep breaths and give us a smile. Then step off – everyone wants to what see a happy and kinky and eager little noose slut you are.”

I tried to nod. I looked down at the women standing around me. I felt really odd to be the center of attention of so much rapt attention. I worked to keep emotions under control.

Mom was starting at me intently with one hand over her mouth. She didn’t say anything. Jamie leaned in close to her for some comfort and warmth and put one hand on her shoulder.

“This is it,” I thought. I wondered if I should say “Goodbye,” or something like that. But I didn’t want to lose my composure and start crying. “I better just do it,” I thought.

I tried to smile but I guess it came out kind of crooked.

Annie had a hard time pushing herself off. She made some half-hearted attempts to step off but always changed her mind as she realized how difficult it was. Finally, when it was looking like someone would have to take the stool away she bent her knees, closed her eyes, took a deep breath, said "Oh God," and pushed away. She swung out like a pendulum. Immediately she struggled very hard. And seconds later her struggles became truly frantic. Her legs flailed wildly in all directions and she quickly kicked the stool away, probably by accident. Then she kicked and thrashed and sputtered like crazy as the rope and gravity did their work. Her legs jerked in all directions. She made some stabbing motions toward the floor. She seemed to sense that the floor was just inches away below her feet, which it was. But it was just out of reach. Her shoulders and hips twisted sharply. The muscles in her belly flexed and strained. She made scissor kicks to the front, back or sides with her toes stretched to their limits, trying desperately to connect with some kind of footing. But there was nothing she could reach - just empty air in all directions. With all her energy and stamina she struggled quite a while. The other women watched as it all unfolded. Some were spellbound and didn't move. Others sipped their wine casually. After a while they watched as her struggles gradually got slower, then came to an end at last.

Vicky said there still seemed to be a weak heartbeat the first time she checked. After another five minutes she checked again and reported there was none.

When it was all over the reactions varied.

Suzy and Vicky seemed happy, maybe exhilarated by the overall experience and the risks they had run. They talked happily about going out for a night on the town and maybe meeting some guys.

Others felt more somber as they tried to sort out their feelings after so many intense up and down emotions.

Annie had to remain hanging. She would stay in the noose for the next 20 hours. Her bare, handcuffed body made a sad, macabre, and perversely beautiful sight. Her mom, Jamie and Sydney felt she shouldn’t be alone. So they brought in a couple cots and some bedding to spend the night near her.

When it was time for bed the women got undressed. Sydney took one cot and the two women took the second. They wanted a chance to talk and cry and snuggle and get very close, and try to deal with the almost overwhelming emotions of the day. They were up very late.

The next day they took turns staying with Annie while she continued to dangle. As needed, they kept her clean with a washcloth and a bucket of soapy water. The disposal crew arrived that next afternoon to take down the body and take it away.

Over the next few months Sydney tried to deal with her strong feelings from the noose party. The memories partly felt like a nightmare. She could only imagine what kind of terror and pain her friend must have gone through. She missed Annie terribly. Yet it was all strangely appealing too. Sydney often wondered what it would feel like to be picked to hang. It would be horrible. But the idea was darkly exciting too. She was worried she'd seek out another noose party in the future, to get that same thrilling surge of emotions and maybe get picked herself. To help work through her feelings she sat down and tried to write the noose party story from the point of view of her friend.

Back
Top Bottom