Some Sketches

Go to CruxDreams.com
Few tree crucifixions. Being bound to a tree may sound not very terrific but in fact it is the same starving naked on display waiting for wild dogs or wolves as when you're bound to the low cross.

Just as horrific. If I was in a raiding party, the last thing on my mind would be creating a cross from sawn timber. Use a tree, a barn door, the timbering of a house. Use nails if you can find any, otherwise rope or wire.

The fear factor for those surviving will be just as great.

The background on the last one is well done. Having a living background with a crucifixion makes for a lovely view.
I find this a very interesting comment!
Indeed background is also sometimes very important in the sketch....for example when I want to express the humiliation of being surrounded by onlookers.:rolleyes: But at the same time I like that the victim is well seen by those who are looking the sketch himself, being also onlookers... ..Maybe it's because I'm not good in perspectives.:p....What a dilemma! And I don't like to put "half cut "person in front of the sketch. So I use sometimes the short perspective.... Andyman can do all and put movement too. Therefore for me he is a real great artist. flower3flower3

Sometimes I try to imagine how the Roman procurator should punish the criminals of different social status. Let's imagine five women cooperating in some crime: the patricia (wealthy citizen), the plebeia (poor working woman hardly assumed to be a citizen), the province woman (within borders of an empire), then a barbaric woman (a member of a tribe not allied with Rome) and, finally, a slave woman. I suppose that it was possible to have them sentenced for the same crime, but their fate would be different: the most wealthy one could be decapitated or exiled only, while the four remaining would die on their crosses - and that is how I drawn them, left to right. And what do you think about this idea?

Attachments

• Clipboard.jpg
    Clipboard.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 715
Sometimes I try to imagine how the Roman procurator should punish the criminals of different social status. Let's imagine five women cooperating in some crime: the patricia (wealthy citizen), the plebeia (poor working woman hardly assumed to be a citizen), the province woman (within borders of an empire), then a barbaric woman (a member of a tribe not allied with Rome) and, finally, a slave woman. I suppose that it was possible to have them sentenced for the same crime, but their fate would be different: the most wealthy one could be decapitated or exiled only, while the four remaining would die on their crosses - and that is how I drawn them, left to right. And what do you think about this idea?
It's a lovely idea! And it would've been exile for the noble lady: they weren't really executed for 'common' crimes, only if there was some sort of treachery involved. You could show her waving good-bye to the crucified from her litter while being carried down the road to Ostia, to catch a ship to Greece.

Yep, life on an island in the Aegean Sea was the Roman idea of getting tough on crime -- when the miscreants belonged to the upper orders. :zplayita:

Something I have often considered as well. Great idea! The drawing works well I think!

That is almost a manual of how to crucify the different classes. I imagine the plebeia's fate is time-limited tying, and you have progressively more nasty cornua for the nailed condemned. Well thought out.

Few single women (mostly naked) surrounded by men (mostly covered): as for me the worst imaginable death for an innocent woman... A real nightmare! This kind of situation is very exciting and, yes, terrifying for me when I think of such punishment, that's why I like to return to this theme again and again (maybe you are tired of it). This time the sketches are extremely "speedpainted", five minutes each, so sorry for the not excellent quality...
Never tired of your sketches, Andy! They are amongst the most erotic I have seen!

So far 'the cross as the great equaliser'? Roman justice sets a bad exemple here!:oops:

The first day of seven...
The first of the last seven days...!

Back
Top Bottom