St Patrick's Day Isn't just Drinking and F**king.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Now, where's Eulalia to tell us what the hell those mean?

View attachment 672186 Yes, that's pretty well right PrPr,
literally, 'blessings on the feast of Patrick to you'
(oraibh - literally 'on you', plural, so as they, and we in Galloway, would say 'to youse')

View attachment 672187 'a good Patrick's day to you' (singular)

View attachment 672188 'a good Patrick's day to you' (plural)

View attachment 672189 'happy Patrick's day to you' (singular)

View attachment 672190 'pint of Guinness please' (lit. 'by your will')
(I don't think 'Guiness' is a mistake, it would be the correct spelling in Gaeilge)

View attachment 672191 'whiskey (Irish spelling, lit. 'water of life') please'

View attachment 672192 lit. 'where will you be wetting the shamrock?' i.e. 'where will you be partying?'

Pronunciation - very roughly, Scottish Gaelic pronunciation of the same or similar words would be different,
and it's a while since I had lessons in Irish Gaeilge:

1 Bennakhty na Faylya Patrick orriv!
2 La haylya Patrick so-na doot!
3 La haylya Patrick so-na day-iv!
4 Bennakhty na Faylya Patrick doot!
5 Pinn-ta Guinness lay do holl.
6 Usky bay-ah lay do holl.
7 Cah may too ag flookha na shamrock?

View attachment 672191 'whiskey (Irish spelling, lit. 'water of life') please'
Is that related to an dram buidheach , my favorite, Drambuie?

It is clear that the calumny against the Celtic people that they are drunkards is so totally false, when they call whiskey, "water of life," and liqueur made from Scotch whisky, "the drink that satisfies." They are clearly a people of exclusively temperate disposition!

Pronunciation - very roughly, Scottish Gaelic pronunciation of the same or similar words would be different,
and it's a while since I had lessons in Irish Gaeilge:

1 Bennakhty na Faylya Patrick orriv!
2 La haylya Patrick so-na doot!
3 La haylya Patrick so-na day-iv!
4 Bennakhty na Faylya Patrick doot!
5 Pinn-ta Guinness lay do holl.
6 Usky bay-ah lay do holl.
7 Cah may too ag flookha na shamrock?

Gaelic with Roman letters is worse than Polish. At least they could have tried to make it phonetic, but NOOOOO! Well, there are lots of places in the United States where English is nominally spoken but you can't really understand anyone.

Is that related to an dram buidheach , my favorite, Drambuie?
I'm not quite sure about Drambuie actually - an dram buidheach does mean 'the happy, contented dram',
but it could be 'the yellow, golden dram', which of course it is - maybe it was an intentional pun.

Gaelic with Roman letters is worse than Polish. At least they could have tried to make it phonetic, but NOOOOO! Well, there are lots of places in the United States where English is nominally spoken but you can't really understand anyone.
I know you won't believe this, but the Irish and Scottish Gaelic spelling systems are 'phonetic',
in the sense that they're pretty consistent (as I think is Polish) in the way they represent each sound,
much more so than English or French, though - like in those languages -
the spellings reflect pronunciations of four or five centuries ago,
when printed texts came into wide circulation (and vernacular Bibles and prayer books were in demand).
But of course the problem is, the Roman alphabet wasn't designed for Celtic or Slavic sound-systems,
so we either have to use lots of accents and other marks (like Polish), or combinations of letters, as Ir and Sc Gaelic do.
Manx Gaelic, incidentally, is spelt as if it were English, it's rather like my effort at a phonetic version of Irish above.

Back
Top Bottom