St Patrick's Day Isn't just Drinking and F**king.

Go to CruxDreams.com
Remember to wear green tomorrow.
View attachment 683279View attachment 683280View attachment 683281

Not everyone in the States knows the significance of green and orange in Irish history.
http://thefederalist.com/2016/03/17/why-you-should-wear-orange-this-saint-patricks-day/
Yes, that's quite a good account, though it doesn't perhaps emphasise the close links between the Loyal Orange Lodges and Ulster Unionism,
which has been a thread in the painful story ever since the raising of the Ulster Volunteer Force in 1914, and remains very problematic at the present time - with power-sharing at Stormont having collapsed, and the UK Government dependent on the votes of the 10 very hard-line Democratic Unionist MPs to get its legislation, and especially the Brexit agreement, through Parliament. Even since the Good Friday Agreement, the annual marches on July 12th, Orangemen's Day (anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne 1690, when forces of William of Orange defeated those of Catholic James VII and II) - some of them passing provocatively through or close to Catholic districts, have been regular flashpoints, and I'm sad to say the atmosphere in NI at present is tense.

Note also that, while the Orange Order indeed includes Protestant Unionists of all backgrounds and denominations, the Calvinist Presbyterian Ulster Scots are dominant (in more senses than one!)

I get the impression that the Orange Order isn't and hasn't ever been strong in USA, obviously passionate loyalty to the British Sovereign sits uneasily with the Revolution - are there any parades on July 12th? There are Lodges, and parades, in Canada, notably in Newfoundland, with its own Ulster Scots 'Plantation'.

A must watch on every St Paddy's Day is The Quiet Man with very memorable quotes:
Father Peter Lonergan, Narrator
Ah, yes.... I knew your people, Sean. Your grandfather; he died in Australia, in a penal colony. And your father, he was a good man too. He also died in Australia?

Mary Kate Danaher
Could you use a little water in your whiskey?
Michaleen Flynn
When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

'Red Will' Danaher
He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long.

And two for CF.

Michaleen Flynn: Is this a courting or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband and entitled to hit you back.

When Sean Thornton is dragging his wife back home from the station (Five miles - "a good stretch of the legs") Fishwoman with basket at station: Sir!... Sir!... Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems that film had a few #metoo moments

But it all ended happily

Back
Top Bottom