Swimmers In Hot Water

Go to CruxDreams.com

windar

Teller of Tales
So, I'm sure everyone has heard by now about the Ryan Lochte scandal. Now, imagine that the Olympics were in a country that took a more severe position on such matters than Brazil, where you couldn't make it go away with a contribution to a judo club. Not naming any names of countries, real or imaginary, of course. Now, also imagine they were 4 female swimmers, rather than male swimmers. Again, no names. Certainly not Barbara, Eulalia, Dorothy, Messaline, CV, nor even Priya. Nope, not them.

Still, there could be a story there, no?

So, I'm sure everyone has heard by now about the Ryan Lochte scandal. Now, imagine that the Olympics were in a country that took a more severe position on such matters than Brazil, where you couldn't make it go away with a contribution to a judo club. Not naming any names of countries, real or imaginary, of course. Now, also imagine they were 4 female swimmers, rather than male swimmers. Again, no names. Certainly not Barbara, Eulalia, Dorothy, Messaline, CV, nor even Priya. Nope, not them.

Still, there could be a story there, no?

Certainly not any of us :rolleyes:

They call it 'decompression', the urge to scrub off the stress of the competition and four years of intense preparations. It is natural, but these girls went too far.

The local authorities will take things with the necessary severity about driving under intoxication, vandalism and stating false declarations to the police.
On the other hand, they do not want to spend too much time on it. The Olympics need a maximum deployement of police and security forces, particularly with the closing ceremony coming up, attended by many heads of state and other world officials.

In a full crowded olympic stadion, broadcasted world wide, at the start of the closing ceremony, they will be tied to a post, arms over head, strip naked of course, and each given twenty lashes. No one messes with local law. Then, the case is closed.

(still no 'volunteers' here?):devil::cool:

Misbehaving in a public loo -
making false allegations against the guardians of the law -
trying to do a runner while we're on bail...
looks like we'll be standing on another podium soon,
and they won't be giving us medals :eek:

It's a shame it had to be decided on penalties, I think both teams deserved to share the gold :)
But then I'm not really competitive (and I hated hockey when I had to play it at school :rolleyes:)

Misbehaving in a public loo -
making false allegations against the guardians of the law -
trying to do a runner while we're on bail...
looks like we'll be standing on another podium soon,
and they won't be giving us medals :eek:

That's quite a list there, Eula. That could even get you time in a labor camp. And just think when you get home, after embarrassing your country, you won't be welcome in the local pub.
In a full crowded olympic stadion, broadcasted world wide, at the start of the closing ceremony, they will be tied to a post, arms over head, strip naked of course, and each given twenty lashes.

Must not write this story. A promise is a promise. Shit!!!!

Why they awarded the Olympics to Pomodoro, the capital of Tilapia, is a mystery to me. Me, being Barbara Moore, member of the US Women’s Swim team. I’m sure large bundles of cash passed to IOC members were a big part of the story. Nevertheless, when you spend hours in the pool every day training for much of your life, you go where the games are.

And what a games they were. I won 2 gold medals, one in the individual breaststroke and one as part of the relay team. My best friend and training partner, Priya Narayan, did great as well, winning a gold in the butterfly (first Indian American to win a swimming medal) and also sharing in one as part of the relay team.

And since our events were early in the games, we were left with little to do afterwards, except to relax, which was something neither one of us had done much of in the last few years, sandwiching swim practices in between college classes and assignments. We had become friendly with a couple of the other competitors, whom we had met around the pool, Aline Messa, a French freestyler, who had picked up a silver medal (coming second to Katy Ledecky is hardly shabby) and Eulalia Cross, a swimmer for the Scottish team (something to do with Brexit). Poor Eula had come away without a medal because some genius on the Scottish Olympic Committee had decided the swimmers should all wear kilts in the pool and the drag of the sodden wool was too much to overcome.

So when they suggested we go to the Hot Tomato Lounge in downtown Pomodoro for a party, we happily agreed. Supposedly Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were going to be there, though we didn’t run into them.

Now, our coaches and the entire Olympic Committee had warned us that Tilapia had very strict laws, including caning for minor offenses and that they wouldn’t necessarily be able to help us if we fell afoul of them. But we were all of legal drinking age and we planned to just have a couple of drinks and have fun dancing for a couple of hours. Well, a couple of drinks turned into god knows how many and a couple of hours turned into 4 AM. Finally, the bar closed and we hailed a taxi to take us back to the Olympic Village.

Now, when you’ve had that much to drink, sometimes you just have to pee really, really badly. Like, can’t wait to get back to the Village badly. And, there by the road, was an all-night gas station, so we had the cabby pull over and we all went to use the Ladies. Well, with the high spirits from the successful competition, and the alcohol, things got a bit rowdy in there. Toilet paper was thrown, mirrors were soaped, doors were swung on until a couple broke (cheap Tilapian products, I’m sure). But no one was around, so who was to know, right?

So, when the cops showed up at the Village the next morning, we denied the whole thing. Not us, we said. must have been 4 other women. Who would have imagined a shitty place like Tilapia would have video cams at every gas station? They had us clear as anything going into the bathroom, with the place looking clean and coming out with the place looking like a hurricane had gone through it. Time stamps on the video and everything. So, they cuffed us and marched us down to the cop shop where they told us we were being charged with vandalism and lying to officers. Yikes!

Important author's note-Tilapia is NOT Trabbia. No resemblance whatsoever.

Does anyone want more of this shaggy dog story?

Why they awarded the Olympics to Pomodoro, the capital of Tilapia, is a mystery to me. Me, being Barbara Moore, member of the US Women’s Swim team. I’m sure large bundles of cash passed to IOC members were a big part of the story. Nevertheless, when you spend hours in the pool every day training for much of your life, you go where the games are.

And what a games they were. I won 2 gold medals, one in the individual breaststroke and one as part of the relay team. My best friend and training partner, Priya Narayan, did great as well, winning a gold in the butterfly (first Indian American to win a swimming medal) and also sharing in one as part of the relay team.

And since our events were early in the games, we were left with little to do afterwards, except to relax, which was something neither one of us had done much of in the last few years, sandwiching swim practices in between college classes and assignments. We had become friendly with a couple of the other competitors, whom we had met around the pool, Aline Messa, a French freestyler, who had picked up a silver medal (coming second to Katy Ledecky is hardly shabby) and Eulalia Cross, a swimmer for the Scottish team (something to do with Brexit). Poor Eula had come away without a medal because some genius on the Scottish Olympic Committee had decided the swimmers should all wear kilts in the pool and the drag of the sodden wool was too much to overcome.

So when they suggested we go to the Hot Tomato Lounge in downtown Pomodoro for a party, we happily agreed. Supposedly Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were going to be there, though we didn’t run into them.

Now, our coaches and the entire Olympic Committee had warned us that Tilapia had very strict laws, including caning for minor offenses and that they wouldn’t necessarily be able to help us if we fell afoul of them. But we were all of legal drinking age and we planned to just have a couple of drinks and have fun dancing for a couple of hours. Well, a couple of drinks turned into god knows how many and a couple of hours turned into 4 AM. Finally, the bar closed and we hailed a taxi to take us back to the Olympic Village.

Now, when you’ve had that much to drink, sometimes you just have to pee really, really badly. Like, can’t wait to get back to the Village badly. And, there by the road, was an all-night gas station, so we had the cabby pull over and we all went to use the Ladies. Well, with the high spirits from the successful competition, and the alcohol, things got a bit rowdy in there. Toilet paper was thrown, mirrors were soaped, doors were swung on until a couple broke (cheap Tilapian products, I’m sure). But no one was around, so who was to know, right?

So, when the cops showed up at the Village the next morning, we denied the whole thing. Not us, we said. must have been 4 other women. Who would have imagined a shitty place like Tilapia would have video cams at every gas station? They had us clear as anything going into the bathroom, with the place looking clean and coming out with the place looking like a hurricane had gone through it. Time stamps on the video and everything. So, they cuffed us and marched us down to the cop shop where they told us we were being charged with vandalism and lying to officers. Yikes!

Here we go again. The part about the Scottish kilts slowing the swimmers down is a gem. I laughed!

More ? ......... Oh go on then ........ But I must say "Tilapia" sounds a bit fishy !!
(for those of you that don't get the joke ... Google it)

It was nice of the Tilapians to have a TV in the cell where they stuck us. Cable too. CNN International was on. We were celebrities. Sure, we got some coverage when we won our medals, but this was much, much bigger. “Four female swimmers arrested in Pomodoro,” read the crawl. There was a reporter standing outside the gas station we had vandalized and they ran the footage from the surveillance camera over and over. They also ran footage from Tilapian TV of the bathroom after we had been in there. I had to admit that didn’t make us look very good. Eula and Aline wondered if this was being covered by the BBC and French TV, too. I was pretty sure it was.

Pretty soon, the bigwigs from the various Olympic Committees showed up, a bunch of shifty-eyed rich old white guys, trying to look like athletes in their track suits. Priya and I were closeted with our country’s representatives, including some shady looking fellow from the Embassy, named Tree.

“We warned all of you athletes to behave yourselves,” the chief of the delegation snorted. “You have brought disgrace on the entire US team and on our country. The fact that you won medals doesn’t excuse this.”

“You are quite right. We are terribly sorry, and will be happy to issue a very sincere apology to the government and the people of Tilapia and pay for the damage we have done,” I said sheepishly. By now, I had a splitting headache, both from the mess we were in and from the aftereffects of the alcohol we had consumed, or, more accurately, over consumed.

“Absolutely,” Priya added, nodding. “We will also be happy to make a nice donation to any sports club in any disadvantaged neighborhood in Pomodoro. We will even be happy to coach any of their swimmers at no charge, right Barb?” I immediately indicated my full agreement to all of that.

“Well, that’s very nice, but the authorities here are insisting on prosecuting you under their laws.” That didn’t sound good.

“What does that mean?” Priya asked.

“The vandalism is bad enough,” Tree said, “But lying to the police is the real big deal. That could get you 5 years in a labor camp.” I wasn’t sure I should even ask what that involved, but I did. “They make you clear jungle and plow fields by hand. If you don’t work hard enough, they flog you.”

“Flog us?” Priya and I asked, together, incredulously.

“Yes, I’ve visited one and I can tell you, you won’t like it. Not one bit.”

We were both crying now. “Please, you have to help us. We’re sorry. It was stupid what we did, but we want to fix it. Please.”

The suits looked uncomfortable. One of them spoke up. “I’m an attorney back in the States and I have contacts with some local attorneys, so maybe I can arrange something. No promises though.”

After all the suits had left, we compared notes with Aline and Eula. Things with their high muckety-mucks had gone more or less the same.

So we sat some more, watching ourselves on CNN. We hoped the story would die down, but it seemed it wouldn’t. Anderson Cooper was on a plane coming here (British, French and other readers can substitute the TV news anchor of their choice).

Maybe something would happen somewhere to take the attention of us. Couldn’t one of the Kardashians do something tacky? Couldn’t some terrorists blow something up or shoot a bunch of people? Where was ISIS when you wanted them? They were probably watching our disgrace and enjoying it-that’s what you get when you let women play sports in skimpy outfits they would say (well, OK, Eula’s kilt wasn’t that skimpy, but still). Maybe a Malaysian plane would disappear. A girl can hope, can’t she?

It wasn’t long before the reporters had tracked down our parents. There were Priya’s, saying how she had always been such a good girl. There were mine saying I had always been a bit rebellious, but this was really surprising. They even found my 5th grade teacher. You’d think someone would forget about a little thumbtack on her chair after all these years, but apparently not.

What would happen next?

Back
Top Bottom