The Acts Of Julia Of Brixellum

Go to CruxDreams.com
PART 24 : AD 2073.

An abandoned railroad yard – the next day.

Julia recognized the place. Instantly her body stiffened of fear.
But had she expected something else?

Times have changed! Antonio del Nero will not organize mass crux executions. He will not make the mistake of the Princeps Nero, two thousand years ago, to turn crucifixion into an exciting mass entertainment, at the risk of undermining its deterring purpose, and unintentionally turning his victims into martyrs. Antonio del Nero will not sequestrate huge amounts of timber wood, still needed to reconstruct the continent’s infrastructure after the troubles and civil wars, even 15 years later.

Antonio del Nero does it the modern way. He makes his opponents and critics simply disappear without a trace, of course after having retrieved, by any means, all the information needed from them. Julia Bersel’s lawyer Martha would be one of them. Del Nero applies crucifixion rather sparingly, to specific individuals.

So, for the five, there was no reason to make them disappear, since they had been shown up in a public ceremony, witnessed by an audience of hundreds. They could be more useful to continue in their role as an example. Five former university professors! ‘Look at them, Ladies and Gentlemen! They are the dark shadows! This ceremony is a purification. It is also a warning to keep in mind by all!’.

Antonio del Nero is a man with a mission! His mission is the return of peace, prosperity and stability on the continent. This means all the faces into the same direction! Follow the leader!. Del Nero is convinced he is doing good! That he is doing good by removing obstacles on the way to peace, prosperity and stability. Antonio del Nero wants to be remembered by history as a great leader, not as a tyrant, and certainly not as a cruel tyrant.

Julia Bersel and her companions will not be driven as cattle into a circus, in a mass killing spectacle and randomly nailed to cross.

They would be professionally prepared to their ordeal. The place of preparation was a former goods hangar on the old railroad yard. The condemned had entered the hangar silently, without saying a word, obediently but anxious, all aware what was awaiting them. They had no idea that the ‘preparations’ had already started earlier. A tranquilizer had secretly been added to their breakfast.

In the concrete floor of the hangar, the rails where once the goods wagons were loaded or unloaded, were still present. They were useful now to line up the condemned along. Once more Julia and her companions were standing in a line, waiting, each flanked by three guards.

Once inside and lined up, their ankle chains and wrists cuffs were removed. Julia looked around. She estimated there were twenty-five guards and at least fifteen more people around. Some wore white coats, others dark grey jumpsuits or civil clothing, wearing a brassard.

“On behalf of the Chairman-general of the Governments, the following sentence is pronounced :
“(….!)”
“Julia Bersel!”
“(….!)”
“(….!)”
“(….!)”

“Which have been found guilty of the crime of conspiracy against peace! In accordance with Article 395 of the coordinated penal laws…”
“These articles are unconstitutional!” the former law professor exclaimed. But the official ignored him.
“In accordance with Article 395 of the coordinated penal code, declared under the Laws of Constitutional Exception, the guilty are condemned to be fixed to a wooden post, where they shall be left hanging on, publically exposed. The condemned will not be eligible for retrieval! The sentence will be executed immediately!
“The preparations start now!”

A dark grey wheelie bin was rolled in front of the first condemned and the lid was opened.
“Take off all your clothes and put them into the bin!”

Obediently, the man obeyed. All that was heard in the shed was the rustling of the clothes being pulled out and dropped into the bin. Julia looked forward, trying not to think at anything.

The man had finished undressing. In the extreme right angle of her sight, Julia noticed the naked flesh, behaving uneasily, naked flesh contrasting against the grey and other dark tints of the shed. After the symbolic undressing, the day before, on the Parade Ground, came the real one. And although Julia had seen many nudity in the stadium, now that she had been outside and wearing these clothes again, she had inclined to adapt to normal life modus again. This time, like the day before on the Parade Ground, the treatment felt suddenly personal, in contrast to the anonymity of the stadium, behind which nudity could still hide.’ Look at them, Ladies and Gentlemen….’ Forty people were watching!

The wheelie bin was rolled forward and stopped in front of Julia.
Julia looked into the open bin, at the pile of clothes inside. Yesterday stripped from her academic dignity, today from her human dignity. The fate of a condemned to death.
“The clothes I am wearing are not my clothes! They do not belong to me!”
“You have to remove them anyway!”
“I have to do nothing! I am the condemned! It is your procedure, not mine!”
“As you wish!”

Two female guards stepped to Julia, and lifted her hands up to the level of her shoulder. They took off her jacket, threw it into the bin. Then they opened the buttons of the blouse, took it off too and dropped it into the bin too. Next, Julia’s bra was detached and pulled over her arms. Meanwhile, the other guard had unzipped Julia’s skirt. But first, her shoes were taken from her feet. Then the guards pulled down Julia’s skirt, stockings and panties down along her legs, leaving Julia stark naked. Julia’s arms were lowered along her sides. The bin was rolled forward to the next condemned.

A few minutes later, all five condemned stood naked, lined up. Next, one by one, the condemned’ hands were strapped in front of them. The official inspected the row and then he took the word again.

“For the preparation, which will proceed now, I have to say two things! One : in this stage, you can say a word, which will be your last one!”

A word? Julia could not come to one. She tried to set off her mind, as the day before on the Parade Ground. She tried to ignore the looks of the staff around. She tried to ignore their thoughts : ‘yesterday in academic garments, today as naked condemned!’

“Secondly! For the next phase of the preparations, the order in which you get treated will be the order in which you will be fixed to the poles! We leave this last choice to you! Anyone who wishes can step forward! I suggest you make It easy for yourself, and accept this offer!”

‘Accepting this offer’? Julia thought. Well, right and not right! Offering that last little bit of self-control, the choice when to undergo an unavoidable fate? A matter of minutes in a lifetime. Cynically, it looked like they were offered an unique lifetime opportunity…

Meanwhile, outside, on the public parking, a car stopped and two men stepped out. They joined a group of some thirty, dwelling around near the fences of the old railway complex. People who were clearly ‘waiting for and looking forward to something to happen’.
“Ten hours thirty-five minutes! Note the time of our arrival!”
“All right!”
“They are already inside for the preparations, I presume,! Ask around if someone remembers the time of arrival!”
“Is that important?”
“Any information can be useful, at least only for the record! And ask if something particular has happened?”
“All right!”

A few minutes later, the man came back.
“According to witnesses, the condemned have arrived around 10:15 am! They are expected to come out around 11 am.”
“Thanks, I will note it! Anything special?”
“Just one incident it seems! A priest, who had insisted to be allowed inside, to give the condemned spiritual ministration, but he was refused!”
“Strange, right!? So far the project of religious revival?”
“The man is there! You could still ask him!”
“Good idea, they will stay inside for a while.”

The priest was annoyed.
“They said I had no official license to give ministration to condemned to death. Outrageous, don’t you think? To my opinion, they deliberately refuse it to them! This so called great plan for religious revival, that’s just a joke! Clearly, del Nero wants to join the club of dictators to whom religion was just an excuse to legitimate their tyranny! Abusing religion for terror! I hope he still can be stopped in time!”

“Yes, Father, I am afraid those condemned will have to carry on by their own spiritual force, no matter how hard their fate is. All we can do now is to pray that God will give them strength! Being prepared for such an ordeal, must be an ordeal on its own! I really wonder how it must be inside there! If I could be a fly now…”

“Even more, I wish I could be inside their head. I really wonder what goes on in their mind! Now, and when they will be crucified! But I am afraid there will be only one way to find out!” the priest chuckled, “ but that would be a drastic one!”

“That’s why you became a priest, Father?” (chuckle)

“Never question God’s ways!” (chuckle), “anyway, I see another police car has arrived! I am going to try to convince them once more to let me in! Or are they not compassionate at all? In that case, we are facing bad times!”

“Good luck, Father….”

“Loxuru, Father Loxuru!”

The priest went away.

“One way to find out? If that Father Loxuru does not mind his words about del Nero, his prayers will soon be heard and he will find out!”

(to be continued)

An abandoned railroad yard – the next day.

Julia recognized the place. Instantly her body stiffened of fear.
But had she expected something else?

Times have changed! Antonio del Nero will not organize mass crux executions. He will not make the mistake of the Princeps Nero, two thousand years ago, to turn crucifixion into an exciting mass entertainment, at the risk of undermining its deterring purpose, and unintentionally turning his victims into martyrs. Antonio del Nero will not sequestrate huge amounts of timber wood, still needed to reconstruct the continent’s infrastructure after the troubles and civil wars, even 15 years later.

Antonio del Nero does it the modern way. He makes his opponents and critics simply disappear without a trace, of course after having retrieved, by any means, all the information needed from them. Julia Bersel’s lawyer Martha would be one of them. Del Nero applies crucifixion rather sparingly, to specific individuals.

So, for the five, there was no reason to make them disappear, since they had been shown up in a public ceremony, witnessed by an audience of hundreds. They could be more useful to continue in their role as an example. Five former university professors! ‘Look at them, Ladies and Gentlemen! They are the dark shadows! This ceremony is a purification. It is also a warning to keep in mind by all!’.

Antonio del Nero is a man with a mission! His mission is the return of peace, prosperity and stability on the continent. This means all the faces into the same direction! Follow the leader!. Del Nero is convinced he is doing good! That he is doing good by removing obstacles on the way to peace, prosperity and stability. Antonio del Nero wants to be remembered by history as a great leader, not as a tyrant, and certainly not as a cruel tyrant.

Julia Bersel and her companions will not be driven as cattle into a circus, in a mass killing spectacle and randomly nailed to cross.

They would be professionally prepared to their ordeal. The place of preparation was a former goods hangar on the old railroad yard. The condemned had entered the hangar silently, without saying a word, obediently but anxious, all aware what was awaiting them. They had no idea that the ‘preparations’ had already started earlier. A tranquilizer had secretly been added to their breakfast.

In the concrete floor of the hangar, the rails where once the goods wagons were loaded or unloaded, were still present. They were useful now to line up the condemned along. Once more Julia and her companions were standing in a line, waiting, each flanked by three guards.

Once inside and lined up, their ankle chains and wrists cuffs were removed. Julia looked around. She estimated there were twenty-five guards and at least fifteen more people around. Some wore white coats, others dark grey jumpsuits or civil clothing, wearing a brassard.

“On behalf of the Chairman-general of the Governments, the following sentence is pronounced :
“(….!)”
“Julia Bersel!”
“(….!)”
“(….!)”
“(….!)”

“Which have been found guilty of the crime of conspiracy against peace! In accordance with Article 395 of the coordinated penal laws…”
“These articles are unconstitutional!” the former law professor exclaimed. But the official ignored him.
“In accordance with Article 395 of the coordinated penal code, declared under the Laws of Constitutional Exception, the guilty are condemned to be fixed to a wooden post, where they shall be left hanging on, publically exposed. The condemned will not be eligible for retrieval! The sentence will be executed immediately!
“The preparations start now!”

A dark grey wheelie bin was rolled in front of the first condemned and the lid was opened.

Obediently, the man obeyed. All that was heard in the shed was the rustling of the clothes being pulled out and dropped into the bin. Julia looked forward, trying not to think at anything.

The man had finished undressing. In the extreme right angle of her sight, Julia noticed the naked flesh, behaving uneasily, naked flesh contrasting against the grey and other dark tints of the shed. After the symbolic undressing, the day before, on the Parade Ground, came the real one. And although Julia had seen many nudity in the stadium, now that she had been outside and wearing these clothes again, she had inclined to adapt to normal life modus again. This time, like the day before on the Parade Ground, the treatment felt suddenly personal, in contrast to the anonymity of the stadium, behind which nudity could still hide.’ Look at them, Ladies and Gentlemen….’ Forty people were watching!

The wheelie bin was rolled forward and stopped in front of Julia.
Julia looked into the open bin, at the pile of clothes inside. Yesterday stripped from her academic dignity, today from her human dignity. The fate of a condemned to death.
“The clothes I am wearing are not my clothes! They do not belong to me!”
“You have to remove them anyway!”
“I have to do nothing! I am the condemned! It is your procedure, not mine!”
“As you wish!”

Two female guards stepped to Julia, and lifted her hands up to the level of her shoulder. They took off her jacket, threw it into the bin. Then they opened the buttons of the blouse, took it off too and dropped it into the bin too. Next, Julia’s bra was detached and pulled over her arms. Meanwhile, the other guard had unzipped Julia’s skirt. But first, her shoes were taken from her feet. Then the guards pulled down Julia’s skirt, stockings and panties down along her legs, leaving Julia stark naked. Julia’s arms were lowered along her sides. The bin was rolled forward to the next condemned.

A few minutes later, all five condemned stood naked, lined up. Next, one by one, the condemned’ hands were strapped in front of them. The official inspected the row and then he took the word again.

“For the preparation, which will proceed now, I have to say two things! One : in this stage, you can say a word, which will be your last one!”

A word? Julia could not come to one. She tried to set off her mind, as the day before on the Parade Ground. She tried to ignore the looks of the staff around. She tried to ignore their thoughts : ‘yesterday in academic garments, today as naked condemned!’

“Secondly! For the next phase of the preparations, the order in which you get treated will be the order in which you will be fixed to the poles! We leave this last choice to you! Anyone who wishes can step forward! I suggest you make It easy for yourself, and accept this offer!”

‘Accepting this offer’? Julia thought. Well, right and not right! Offering that last little bit of self-control, the choice when to undergo an unavoidable fate? A matter of minutes in a lifetime. Cynically, it looked like they were offered an unique lifetime opportunity…

Meanwhile, outside, on the public parking, a car stopped and two men stepped out. They joined a group of some thirty, dwelling around near the fences of the old railway complex. People who were clearly ‘waiting for and looking forward to something to happen’.
“Ten hours thirty-five minutes! Note the time of our arrival!”
“All right!”
“They are already inside for the preparations, I presume,! Ask around if someone remembers the time of arrival!”
“Is that important?”
“Any information can be useful, at least only for the record! And ask if something particular has happened?”
“All right!”

A few minutes later, the man came back.
“According to witnesses, the condemned have arrived around 10:15 am! They are expected to come out around 11 am.”
“Thanks, I will note it! Anything special?”
“Just one incident it seems! A priest, who had insisted to be allowed inside, to give the condemned spiritual ministration, but he was refused!”
“Strange, right!? So far the project of religious revival?”
“The man is there! You could still ask him!”
“Good idea, they will stay inside for a while.”

The priest was annoyed.
“They said I had no official license to give ministration to condemned to death. Outrageous, don’t you think? To my opinion, they deliberately refuse it to them! This so called great plan for religious revival, that’s just a joke! Clearly, del Nero wants to join the club of dictators to whom religion was just an excuse to legitimate their tyranny! Abusing religion for terror! I hope he still can be stopped in time!”

“Yes, Father, I am afraid those condemned will have to carry on by their own spiritual force, no matter how hard their fate is. All we can do now is to pray that God will give them strength! Being prepared for such an ordeal, must be an ordeal on its own! I really wonder how it must be inside there! If I could be a fly now…”

“Even more, I wish I could be inside their head. I really wonder what goes on in their mind! Now, and when they will be crucified! But I am afraid there will be only one way to find out!” the priest chuckled, “ but that would be a drastic one!”

“That’s why you became a priest, Father?” (chuckle)

“Never question God’s ways!” (chuckle), “anyway, I see another police car has arrived! I am going to try to convince them once more to let me in! Or are they not compassionate at all? In that case, we are facing bad times!”

“Good luck, Father….”

“Loxuru, Father Loxuru!”

The priest went away.

“One way to find out? If that Father Loxuru does not mind his words about del Nero, his prayers will soon be heard and he will find out!”

(to be continued)
You are quite the fascinating writer Loxuru! Another great chapter!

Madiosi 2017-115-24-Brixellum.jpg

Last edited:
PART 1 : AD 2071.

A university in Western Europe, the Faculty of Ancient History. The office of Prof. Julia Bersel.

“Professor Bersel, the Board of Peers forbids the publication of this paper! It is entirely speculative, scientifically unfounded. Making this content public will harm our Institution and its reputation!”
Madiosi 2017-116-01-Brixellum.jpg

PART 2 : AD 66
At the end of the tunnel, lay a pile of clothing. Guards ordered Julia to take off her tunic. Quickly! Instinctively she obeyed. She already had received two lashes underway in the tunnel. She pulled her filthy tunic over her head and dropped it on the pile. Then, only wearing a loincloth, she was rudely pushed into the open.

At the end of the tunnel was death!
Madiosi 2017-117-02-Brixellum.jpg
The circus was fully crowded. The air was filled with the shouting of thousands of people. Thousands of people enjoying and cheering a gruesome spectacle.

Last edited:
PART 3 : AD 2071

The Faculty of Ancient History, the Dean’s Office.
Madiosi 2017-107-fratnightout.jpg
“Professor Bersel, we have received the advice of the Board of Peers about the paper you intended to submit and we have examined it. I shall first inform you that the Office of the Dean considers this advice as a final verdict. If you will ever try to enforce the publication of this paper, the University will take disciplinary measures against you for harming its reputation. Am I clear!?”

A university in Western Europe, the Faculty of Ancient History. The office of Prof. Julia Bersel.

The lab benches, gas outlets, and spray bottles and the signs that say "Exit" suggest it may be a North American chemistry lab, though;)

Good chapter, Lox, but I am worried that Father Loxuru will soon be in trouble and then who will tell us the end of the story?

Last edited:
Good chapter, Lox, but I am worried that Father Loxuru will soon be in trouble and then who will tell us the end of the story?

Don't worry! The narrator Loxuru lives in 2017, Father Loxuru in 2073.:)

PART 1 : AD 2071.
The Faculty of Ancient History, the Dean’s Office.

Julia Bersel will be very pleased she is shown up some 20 years younger as she is in the story:cool: but never mind,;) superb manips, Madiosi! Thank you!:)

Anyway I'm rather guilty of not commenting properly here, I've been enjoying it a lot, and also,

‘Accepting this offer’? Julia thought. Well, right and not right! Offering that last little bit of self-control, the choice when to undergo an unavoidable fate? A matter of minutes in a lifetime.

ideas like that drive me crazy, as of course I know I ought to step forward, but could I?

PART 25 : AD 2073.

An abandoned railroad yard.

The five condemned had just been offered to decide themselves about the order of execution. The five, already feeling uneasy by their nakedness, looked confused at each other, each one waiting for someone else to take initiative.
“Are we… supposed to discuss this..?” the former law professor asked, hesitating.
“Just step forward!” the official replied!
“Since we are allowed to put a word,” the former law professor said with a trembling voice, “I have always opposed the laws that condemned me today! But I used to tell my students : Dura lex, sed lex! If it has to happen….at least I do not betray myself.“
“Come on! It isn’t of no use anymore! It is over and I am ready for it! I go first, the faster they start, the faster it will be done! It will be hard time, but digging peat in the work camps in Karelia is harder!”

The former engineering professor stepped forward and was led behind a partition.
(‘Digging peat in the work camps in Karelia?’ flashed through Julia’s head. That was new for her).

“Dura lex, sed lex, as I said! If it has to happen….at least I do not betray myself.“ The former law professor stepped forward. The guards led him away too.

Then the former medical professor stepped forward.
“He is right! We did what we thought was right and knew the risks! Hiding now is futile! Up to myself as a medical experiment!”

So there were two left, Julia, and the woman from the science faculty.
Julia had initially made up her mind not to ‘volunteer’. Like with the undressing, the order of execution should be the executioner’s call. But the other woman seemed to hesitate. She looked stiffened of fear. Clearly she would be not be eager to volunteer! The official looked impatiently. And actually, Julia got impatient herself. She was at the verge of saying to the official : ‘come on man, choose yourself!’ The order ought to be determined by the executioners, but that premise was already broken by the three volunteers. But going to her own execution still felt the weirdest thing she could imagine.
“Well!?” the official asked “ten seconds!”

Julia reconsidered. Her abhorrence to play the executioner’s game was pushed aside by an upcoming sense of responsibility that she could not afford for herself to abandon and betray the three men who had already volunteered. She recalled Julia of Brixellum’s account of Gestas’ crucifixion : ‘the last hold on that was left on the cross : the condemned’s mutual support’.
“All right! Then I will go next! ” She said and stepped forward with trembling legs. “For Julia of Brixellum!”.
“I follow you!” she heard the other women say.

Behind the partition, there was a long row of cabinets separated by curtains. Three were closed by a curtain. Julia was brought to an unoccupied one. She had to sit down on a stool, with her back towards the entrance of the cabinet.
“Some security precautions first!” a guard said.
Julia’s ankles were chained and attached to a heavy iron weight. A ball gag was put into her mouth. Her wrist restrains were attached to an iron bar in front of her.
She felt being pricked in her left upper arm.
“An extra sedative!” the paramedic whispered.
Next, her head was lifted backward. Two injections –rather painful ones – were given under her chin.

Then, she had to wait.

Outside. From where the onlookers stood, only the roof of the hangar was visible. The access to the yard was still closed. The place where the crosses would stand was not visible from there. It was hidden by a closure. Yet, a crowd of, meanwhile, some fifty persons, had gathered around the fence. Standing off from them stood the two men.

“What kind of people are these onlookers?”

“Most of them are adherents of the regime! They approve this kind of executions! Law and order partisans! One advice : ignore them! Do not attempt to argue with them! in any society you get that kind of folks! In their opinion, what happens here is right and just! It gives them the feeling that del Nero is concerned about their worries and fears. It gives them a feeling of protection. Particularly in today’s times. Many of them have seen atrocities and lost beloved ones during the civil wars!”

“Don’t they have nothing else to do? Rebuilding society, things like that? Simply, going to work?”

“Look! Del Nero needs popular support. He needs to win his referendum next week! These people come here to watch the execution! For them, it is the prove that del Nero keeps his word! One of the causes of the civil wars was a deep distrust of the population in anything that had to do with government! Now they say the elites have failed then, to restore that trust. Actually, there was not a problem with the way the elites acted! No, the elites were the problem. The so-called elites were a small group of people who had managed to take over the state and its institutions, only for their own profit! They did not bother about society or the people, only about themselves. That is the cause of that deep distrust. Del Nero knows, and that explains the purpose of what is happening here! By crucifying five academics, the authorities want to show the people that nobody is protected by any kind of immunity!”

“But you can hardly consider Julia Bersel and her companions as members of that kind of an elite as you just described?”

“Perception, Nico! These onlookers consider them guilty by association! The elites controlled the universities too…!”

Something was moving. An employee had come out of the yard, and put on a paper on a board next to the entrance. The crowd gathered around the board. They talked and looked satisfied, as they read the names.

“The name list of the condemned, Nico! It won’t be long anymore!”

“I wonder what is happening now under the roof of that hangar.”

(to be continued)

PART 4 : AD 66

A party of executioners approached. One by one the victims on her row were nailed to the patibulum, which was raised on the stipes, to which the ankles were nailed. The screams of the victims were now frighteningly nearby. Julia saw three crosses being put up next to her, silhouetted black against the blue sky. Above her head she saw the victims writhing, she heard them cry of despair. Then, she saw shadows gathering around her. In a last glimpse she looked at the petrified head of Caligula, as if any help could come from there! Her lower arms were grabbed and a sharp point was pierced into the skin of her wrists. Terrified she looked to the left and to the right, just to feel the first nail piercing her right wrist in two swift blows. The left one was secured almost simultaneously.
Madiosi 2017-122-04-Brixellum.jpg

PART 26 : AD 2073.

An abandoned railroad yard.

“Calm down, we are not going to torture you!”
Julia was scared. She was sitting on a stool, chained by wrists and ankles and gagged. She felt a lot of fuss being carried out along her spine. Cold liquid, pricks. She felt as if in a hospital, which she hated anyway. This, however was the preparation to the execution of her death sentence. In the cramped space, she suddenly realized that everything would stop here. The very little time that would be left to her, she would be in the hands of these executioners. Her life was over! All that would be left was enforced agony. The fear had made her resist. She tried to hinder the preparations by nervously rocking and writhing her upper body. She suddenly got out of breath. No matter how deep she she was breathing, it was as if no more air was entering her lungs any more. But somehow, her own body resisted her panic. Probably the effect of the tranquilizer she previously got injected.

“Cervical anesthesia! (‘In the next 24 hours, do not drive a car or control any kind of engine, do not drink alcohol!’)”.
Two paramedics were holding her head deeply bent forward, she felt a needle was inserted into her column, just below her neck. It did not hurt, but it felt very unpleasant since it clearly penetrated. Instinctively she wanted to raise her head, but the paramedics kept her bent forward. A shiver rushed through her body when she felt a cold liquid spreading down from the injection point. As soon as the needle had been pulled out, the cold turned into a warm feeling, spreading to her arms and further down in her back. She felt a slight dizziness.

“All right! Bring her away!”
The gag was removed. Julia’s ankles were detached from the block of iron. She was helped from the stool to stand on her feet. Two guards took position on each side of her, a third one behind her.

Julia was aware that more and more something was changing in her body. She was fully conscious about what was going on around her, but for some reason, she could neither talk, nor resist, although she knew she was about to start her last walk.

Walking went easy, although she felt a stiffness developing in her shoulders and her hips. She was marching barefoot over the concrete of the hangar, but she felt no cold under her feet. Then, her knees started to feel weak, and when they had reached the exit of the hangar, it was as if she was not walking over concrete, but over an air cushion. The guards noticed it and grabbed her arms much firmly. She felt their grip on her arms getting really tight, but she noticed only pressure, no pain.

She hardly could walk any longer, and when they laid her down, it felt as a relief. Even if it was on a cross. On ‘her’ cross. Underway, she had passed along three other crosses on which her male colleagues had been strapped. Guards removed Julia’s wrist straps and strapped her arms spread to the cross. Her ankles were strapped too.

The other female convict was brought out of the shed. The last part, she had to be dragged over the ground, as she was completely unable to walk. She got strapped to the cross next to Julia.

The physician who had given the cervical injections came out, with a notepad. He kept the time. Silently, the five condemned waited, staring in the air, silenced and immobilized. The only body part that was still easily movable, was the head. The five were anxiously and nervously looking around. Julia watched her fingers and found out she could not move them. Strange enough, she still felt in control, but the ‘command’ from her brain to move them did not reach her hand. Moving a limb, otherwise an automatism, did not seem to work anymore.

“Move you damn fingers!” Julia’s brain said, but the fingers disobeyed. Nothing than a little bit of quivering!

Suddenly, there was a woman squatting next to her.

“Julia!? Julia! My name is Livia!”

Julia noticed someone was near the other condemned too.

“Julia! Can you understand what I am saying!?”

Unable to speak, Julia nodded.

“It is almost time, Julia! Are you ready for it?”

Julia moved her head around.

“Are you afraid, Julia?”

Julia nodded.

“Try to calm down!” Livia said and put her hands on Julia’s shoulders.

Julia confirmed, nodding. Deep inside, she knew Livia was right. Getting nervous would not help. It would be best if she accepted her fate. She tried to think of a tropical island, rustling palm trees, splendid weather, a blue sea, warm water, a beautiful white beach…

But it did not very well. The only beach she could imagine was the beach she had landed on, after the wreck of the Galatea…

The most relaxing were Livia’s hands on her shoulders. Julia tried to concentrate. She noticed the clock on the hangar. A relic from the railroad times. But it still worked. It was 11:09 am.

The physician looked at his watch.

“Time!”

Five men in dark jumpsuits stepped towards the first cross.

Anxiously and nervously, the condemned looked around, searching each other’s eyes .

“Calm down, Julia!”

Outside.

“It’s 11 hours 10! They are late! Usually, P3S is very punctual.”

“P3S?”

“Public Security Systems & Solutions. That is a private security company whose core business includes carrying out executions. They are contracted by the authorities.”

“Weird!”

“We live in a free market economy, Nico! Julia Bersel and her unfortunate companions are to be crucified by the cheapest bidder!”

“Any idea what they are doing there?”

“Del Nero keeps it civilized. A cervical anesthesia, to drown the pain of the nailing. Not particularly out of mercy, but in order to prevent too much mental stress and trauma for the executioners. For the same reason, the cross is made of smoothly planed wood, so, no risk of splinters in the executioners’ hands. Although the anesthesia also has another purpose.”

Suddenly, the onlookers moved to the fence.

“Do you hear that, Nico!? Hammering on the yard!?”

(to be continued)

PART 6 : AD 66
Meanwhile, around her, she saw strange acceptance all around. There was moaning of pain, but no more cursing or shouting. There was praying. Were they exhausted by the pain and heat, or was the resignation instigated by their prospect to be with their God soon? Julia was looking forward to nothing, but the accepting mood of her hundreds of companions made herself accept her fate too.
Madiosi 2017-124-06-Brixellum.jpg
Although it would have been a little bit less difficult, if Livia had not been there.

Back
Top Bottom