The Best Of Times, The Worst Of Times

Go to CruxDreams.com

andy01

Magistrate
MP5stab has had the great idea of kick-starting the "Your Favourite Artwork" thread by focusing on "Your favorite pictures of carrying the cross"
That makes for terrifying images. It set me thinking, which part is the most spectacular. For me, my first three choices, in sequence, are:
1. Raising the cross or patibulum.
2. Nailing.
3. The last walk.
How about you?

I ran a poll awhile ago on deviantart, and the two biggest winners were definitely nailing and raising, although it seems like plenty of people would have voted for "the dance of suffering on the cross", which is pretty clise to the shit I'm drawing most of the time.

The whole procedure is awesome and terrifying, from the moment of condemnation, when we learn the certainty of the sentence about to be carried out. On being stripped for scourging, the condemned is deprived of personal possessions and exposed, defenceless, to the will of the executioner. The pain of the lash producing the first sight of blood confirms the reality of what lies ahead. Deprived of legal rights, a human being is reduced to being made an example in a prelude to extreme suffering. Life, in a relatively short sense, can only get worse. We know this is the beginning of the end.

Attempting to convey the experience of fear, the racing heartbeat, perspiration and hyper-ventilation of these moments presents a challenge for those seeking to depict sheer stark terror combined with the hopeless task of maintaining a sense of dignity. The mental anguish is as real as the physical torment. Feeling the patibulum pressed against bleeding shoulders with arms pulled out and tied securely, the subject knows that wood and flesh are now connected for as long as life endures. The cross demands its human burden, and the human has to carry this burden to the stake.

The walk to the execution site is the last opportunity to feel the ground beneath bare feet. This is a series of prolonged endings, relentless and inescapable. Arriving at the stake merely marks the end of the beginning. Thrown to the ground, exhausted but conscious of everything, our subject continues to endure the physical pain, knowing that the nails will be inserted next. This is the defining moment, when the human body is reduced to simple carpentry, with hammer blows, like one piece of worthless wood nailed to another, permanently. The new pain provided by the nails will be an intimate accompaniment, eventually unto death.

Physically, the roles are reversed, as the figure once supporting the beam, is now supported by it, and hoisted into position by the insensitive executioners. How can we imagine the agony of these moments, knowing that the ordeal will not be over for hours or even days? We can only try to empathise with the conscious subject, writhing in tense agony, in a state of shock, crying out in pain, perhaps trying to form coherent words or babbling insensibly, whilst gasping for breath.

The execution has been carried out according to the law, and all that remains is the waiting and watching by spectators who will not help a fellow human being, outcast by society, awaiting death and suffering indescribably. This is the lingering end which cannot come swiftly enough - a short life sentence of crucifixion. Named and shamed by the titulus overhead, bleeding freely and exposed to the public gaze - justice is done, and seen to be done.

The whole thing is spectacular, but arguably the nailing is the defining moment.

Via Appia 10detxp.jpg

The whole procedure is awesome and terrifying, from the moment of condemnation, when we learn the certainty of the sentence about to be carried out. On being stripped for scourging, the condemned is deprived of personal possessions and exposed, defenceless, to the will of the executioner. The pain of the lash producing the first sight of blood confirms the reality of what lies ahead. Deprived of legal rights, a human being is reduced to being made an example in a prelude to extreme suffering. Life, in a relatively short sense, can only get worse. We know this is the beginning of the end.

Attempting to convey the experience of fear, the racing heartbeat, perspiration and hyper-ventilation of these moments presents a challenge for those seeking to depict sheer stark terror combined with the hopeless task of maintaining a sense of dignity. The mental anguish is as real as the physical torment. Feeling the patibulum pressed against bleeding shoulders with arms pulled out and tied securely, the subject knows that wood and flesh are now connected for as long as life endures. The cross demands its human burden, and the human has to carry this burden to the stake.

The walk to the execution site is the last opportunity to feel the ground beneath bare feet. This is a series of prolonged endings, relentless and inescapable. Arriving at the stake merely marks the end of the beginning. Thrown to the ground, exhausted but conscious of everything, our subject continues to endure the physical pain, knowing that the nails will be inserted next. This is the defining moment, when the human body is reduced to simple carpentry, with hammer blows, like one piece of worthless wood nailed to another, permanently. The new pain provided by the nails will be an intimate accompaniment, eventually unto death.

Physically, the roles are reversed, as the figure once supporting the beam, is now supported by it, and hoisted into position by the insensitive executioners. How can we imagine the agony of these moments, knowing that the ordeal will not be over for hours or even days? We can only try to empathise with the conscious subject, writhing in tense agony, in a state of shock, crying out in pain, perhaps trying to form coherent words or babbling insensibly, whilst gasping for breath.

The execution has been carried out according to the law, and all that remains is the waiting and watching by spectators who will not help a fellow human being, outcast by society, awaiting death and suffering indescribably. This is the lingering end which cannot come swiftly enough - a short life sentence of crucifixion. Named and shamed by the titulus overhead, bleeding freely and exposed to the public gaze - justice is done, and seen to be done.

The whole thing is spectacular, but arguably the nailing is the defining moment.

View attachment 502310

Well said!.... REALLY well said! :clapping:

Since this thread is titled "The Best of Times, The Worst of Times" there should be some comment on what would be the best, or maybe the least bad part. I guess that would be the last meal a condemned gets before being executed. Here is a picture that some clever paparazzo managed to grab of one.Leonardo_da_Vinci_-_Last_Supper_(copy)_-_WGA12732.jpg

I agree with Bob - when I think about the most powerful images I've seen here,
I can't pick out a particular stage in the process, though I might be able to choose
the most gut-wrenching interpretation of each stage - from the night of abuse
and dreadful anticipation in the dungeon, via scourging, the Via Crucis,
arrival at Golgotha, waiting my turn, stripping, lying ready, nailing, raising,
to the final struggle up there on the cross.

Maybe you should have thought of that BEFORE you did whatever it was that landed you there. Did you really think you'd get away with it? Did you think the Rome PD was really that stupid? SPQR, baby, SPQR...

Since this thread is titled "The Best of Times, The Worst of Times" there should be some comment on what would be the best, or maybe the least bad part. I guess that would be the last meal a condemned gets before being executed. Here is a picture that some clever paparazzo managed to grab of one.View attachment 502347

...and one of Barb's...
last supper barb.jpg

As for the opening question to me it is the whole event with a few exceptions such as describing a traveler passing by a person already crucified...

It has always puzzled me ... it's is all of incredible horror. Each step more terrifying than the other.
Scourged, paraded carrying the instrument knowing what awaits.
People watching and spitting and laughing or many even worse than that ... paying no attention at all.
Seeing the crest as you arrive and realizing, in full view, what is to come ... knowing the horror without knowing the pain that awaits.

Wanting to run but knowing that they will never kill you before it is done.

Placed and hammered raise and dropped ... dangling helplessly as it continues ... slamming the nails through your feet.

And it happens ... you can't even make it stop!

Try as you might your body is not yours ... it thrashes out of your control.

That is the most terrifying part.

Lost in a river of pain and knowing.......................................

It has always puzzled me ... it's is all of incredible horror. Each step more terrifying than the other.
Scourged, paraded carrying the instrument knowing what awaits.
People watching and spitting and laughing or many even worse than that ... paying no attention at all.
Seeing the crest as you arrive and realizing, in full view, what is to come ... knowing the horror without knowing the pain that awaits.

Wanting to run but knowing that they will never kill you before it is done.

Placed and hammered raise and dropped ... dangling helplessly as it continues ... slamming the nails through your feet.

And it happens ... you can't even make it stop!

Try as you might your body is not yours ... it thrashes out of your control.

That is the most terrifying part.

Lost in a river of pain and knowing.......................................

Well said!

"Each step more terrifying than any other ... Lost in a river of pain and knowing"

Exactly! :eek::p:D

Back
Top Bottom