The Chosen One by Bartnel and Eulalia

Go to CruxDreams.com
the__chosen_one___part_4___by_bartnel_ddsnrxh-pre.jpg

‘Kneel up, Chosen One.’

The two words freeze my blood, I lift my body and look up to the cold, grey eyes of the Priest.

‘Please Sir, must this be?’

The greybeard nods.

‘The Lord of All the Powers allowed the Dark Angels to fall, to consort with the daughters of men. He allowed their loathsome progeny to be born and to threaten our land with terror and evil.
He allowed our Father Enoch to make the Covenant with them which lets us live in peace. If we fail to keep it, much worse will befall, not just for you, daughter, but all of mankind.’

‘Can nothing save me?’

He sighs, raises his eyes to the roof beyond me.

‘Men cannot tell, what the Lord of All the Powers may do. We only know what we must do.’

I bow again to the floor, instinct urges me to pray a wordless prayer to the Lord of All the Powers. He allows, he allows, he allows ... may he allow me to be spared this dreadful fate!
I kneel up again.

‘T-tell me, what must I do?’

‘Go through the woods daughter, just as you are, barefoot, bare-legged.’

‘B-but it’s cold ... and deathly dark, the Moon has turned the colour of dark blood, soon it will be all black.’

‘You will carry a torch, a sacred brand, that will give you warmth and light, fuelled by your own beauty and goodness.’

‘Which way must I go?’

‘The stars are bright, you can find the Pole?’

‘Of course.’

‘Just head that way. And the comet, you’ve seen that?’

I shudder.

‘I did.’

‘That’s going the same way. It will guide you.’

‘And where shall I come to?’

‘You will come to The Ring of the Moon.’

‘I’ve explored the Forest since I learnt to walk, yet I’ve never heard of that place.’

‘Nevertheless, you will find it. You will know it when you’re there.’

‘And what must I do?’

‘You must take off your last shreds of clothing, tear them on the thorny bushes, cast the scraps away.’

‘So I must be naked?’

‘Of course. Then enter the Ring, place the torch behind you, kneel in the centre with your arms spread wide, revealing your womanly beauty ... to Them.’

I shudder. Them? I dare not ask. My dreadful dreams of these last many restless nights are crowding back to me. One thing keeps haunting my tormented mind,

‘Will there be chains?’

‘There will be chains. They will chain you when you have offered yourself.’

‘Shall I be sacrificed, slaughtered?’

He shakes his head, sadly.

‘No, my daughter. Death is a blessing, though men fail to see it so. But you will be stripped even of that blessing. Though you bear monstrous children, though they feed on your flesh and drink your blood, the blessing of death will be denied you.’

‘So what will they do to me, when I’m naked and chained?’

‘That, my daughter, is too terrible for men even to think of ...’

‘No, my daughter. Death is a blessing, though men fail to see it so. But you will be stripped even of that blessing. Though you bear monstrous children, though they feed on your flesh and drink your blood, the blessing of death will be denied you.’

He's not really good at these pep talks, is he? :rolleyes: :facepalm::eek::eek::eek:

This is getting quite exciting now.

View attachment 842904

‘Kneel up, Chosen One.’

The two words freeze my blood, I lift my body and look up to the cold, grey eyes of the Priest.

‘Please Sir, must this be?’

The greybeard nods.

‘The Lord of All the Powers allowed the Dark Angels to fall, to consort with the daughters of men. He allowed their loathsome progeny to be born and to threaten our land with terror and evil.
He allowed our Father Enoch to make the Covenant with them which lets us live in peace. If we fail to keep it, much worse will befall, not just for you, daughter, but all of mankind.’

‘Can nothing save me?’

He sighs, raises his eyes to the roof beyond me.

‘Men cannot tell, what the Lord of All the Powers may do. We only know what we must do.’

I bow again to the floor, instinct urges me to pray a wordless prayer to the Lord of All the Powers. He allows, he allows, he allows ... may he allow me to be spared this dreadful fate!
I kneel up again.

‘T-tell me, what must I do?’

‘Go through the woods daughter, just as you are, barefoot, bare-legged.’

‘B-but it’s cold ... and deathly dark, the Moon has turned the colour of dark blood, soon it will be all black.’

‘You will carry a torch, a sacred brand, that will give you warmth and light, fuelled by your own beauty and goodness.’

‘Which way must I go?’

‘The stars are bright, you can find the Pole?’

‘Of course.’

‘Just head that way. And the comet, you’ve seen that?’

I shudder.

‘I did.’

‘That’s going the same way. It will guide you.’

‘And where shall I come to?’

‘You will come to The Ring of the Moon.’

‘I’ve explored the Forest since I learnt to walk, yet I’ve never heard of that place.’

‘Nevertheless, you will find it. You will know it when you’re there.’

‘And what must I do?’

‘You must take off your last shreds of clothing, tear them on the thorny bushes, cast the scraps away.’

‘So I must be naked?’

‘Of course. Then enter the Ring, place the torch behind you, kneel in the centre with your arms spread wide, revealing your womanly beauty ... to Them.’

I shudder. Them? I dare not ask. My dreadful dreams of these last many restless nights are crowding back to me. One thing keeps haunting my tormented mind,

‘Will there be chains?’

‘There will be chains. They will chain you when you have offered yourself.’

‘Shall I be sacrificed, slaughtered?’

He shakes his head, sadly.

And what, O Priest, will become of me if instead I nip back to the Rose and Crown for a quick G & T?

the_chosen_one___part_5___by_bartnel_ddst9lg-pre.jpg

The Forest at night has a life all of its own, around the small ring of shivering light that protects me, I hear breathing in the darkness, the ancient trees seem to be sighing, deer and all the beasts of the night are watching me, I glimpse their eyes, too fearful to come near me.

The scents of the fungi and the green herbs mingle, a mixture of incense and decay, long strands of bramble thrust out into my pathway, seeking to capture me, maybe to save me.

A nightjar’s sudden rasping cry gives warning ...

View attachment 843482

The Forest at night has a life all of its own, around the small ring of shivering light that protects me, I hear breathing in the darkness, the ancient trees seem to be sighing, deer and all the beasts of the night are watching me, I glimpse their eyes, too fearful to come near me.

The scents of the fungi and the green herbs mingle, a mixture of incense and decay, long strands of bramble thrust out into my pathway, seeking to capture me, maybe to save me.

A nightjar’s sudden rasping cry gives warning ...

Breathing in the darkness ... exciting ... remembers me on something. Maybe just a dream.

Exciting grows by every step. By every chapter. Still go on.

the_chosen_one___part_6___by_bartnel_ddsvxm1-pre.jpg

So … this is the place …
it’s dark, can’t make out a thing … but I can hear Them …
Them, whatever ‘They’ are … moving about, breathing heavily, grunting …
they sound big … the warm, clammy air’s swirling about me, sweeping my hair …

they smell, too … a musky, fetid smell, rotting meat … my mouth’s dry… yes, fear …

But why be frightened?
This is what I must do … in truth, I’ve always known it…
not just since Father and the White Priest told me about the Covenant of Enoch.
No, ever since I could understand anything, I’ve known it in my heart, hidden it, tried to hide from it …

I am the Chosen One, I was born for this …

the_chosen_one___part_7___by_bartnel_ddsyi9a-pre.jpg

Oh, Gods! Now I see them … huge … dark, shadowy beasts …
I see their eyes, burning, blazing … sharp claws that could tear me … they seem to be eyeing, assessing, inspecting me …

I’m trembling, cold sweat on my breasts … I’m sensing them studying... savouring in silence … the scent of my fear …

No, no point in being frightened … I must do what I’m fated to do.
The White Priest had no need to tell me, I’ve practised it so hard, guided by some deep instinct since I became a girl, again and again ..
kneeling, naked, arms wide open … offering myself, my flesh and my blood, my body, my soul …

Last edited:
View attachment 844275

Oh, Gods! Now I see them … huge … dark, shadowy beasts …
I see their eyes, burning, blazing … sharp claws that could tear me … they seem to be eyeing, assessing, inspecting me …

I’m trembling, cold sweat on my breasts … I’m sensing them studying... savouring in silence … the scent of my fear …

No, no point in being frightened … I must do what I’m fated to do.
The White Priest had no need to tell me, I’ve practised it so hard, guided by some deep instinct since I became a girl, again and again ..
kneeling, naked, arms wide open … offering myself, my flesh and my blood, my body, my soul …

Proud brave slave girl.

the_chosen_one___part_8___by_bartnel_ddt184w-pre.jpg

Strange place this, the Ring of the Moon … deep in the Forest …
my Forest, place that I love, place where I’ve roamed since a little girl …

Yet I never knew, never found, this weird arena … wonder who made it?
Long, long ago, in the days of Father Enoch?
The moonlight shines so bright on the marble,
I’m glistening, yet all around’s so dark, so silent …
no owls, no wolves, no creatures of the night …
except these … the nameless, monstrous ones …

The moonlight glints on steel shackles, chains, near my bare knees, and swaying above me …
I’ve tried not to notice them, tried not to wonder what these monsters will do to me …
“too terrible for men even to think of…” ,
and yet they don’t harm me, don’t touch,
don’t enter the circle … am I protected, by some sacred power?

Back
Top Bottom