The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'd draw a stone out but keep it hidden in my palm, then hold out the bag to Tree and say,
'I can't bear to look at the stone I've drawn, please take the other one out and show the tribe what my father's fate and mine will be.'
Tree would twig that I've spotted his trick, but could save his face by drawing out the black stone,
knowing that if he didn't I'd tip it out then show the other one.

I'd draw a stone out but keep it hidden in my palm, then hold out the bag to Tree and say,
'I can't bear to look at the stone I've drawn, please take the other one out and show the tribe what my father's fate and mine will be.'
Tree would twig that I've spotted his trick, but could save his face by drawing out the black stone,
Send her back to the civet slave-bard pit!!!

Very clever! And this smart girl milling dayly coffee. We see, she have time for thinking successful in this job.

Oh so very close. The key to the solution is shifting the decision on which stone has been selected from Belle to Tree. What Belle does is as she takes the stone from the bag, she fumbles and drops it. Then she gives Tree a winsome smile and says, "Clumsy me. Never mind. Whatever stone is left in the bag, I must have chosen the other one, mustn't I?"
Tree cannot admit his deception and so has to agree that Belle must have chosen the white stone as a black one remains in the bag.

Oh so very close. The key to the solution is shifting the decision on which stone has been selected from Belle to Tree. What Belle does is as she takes the stone from the bag, she fumbles and drops it. Then she gives Tree a winsome smile and says, "Clumsy me. Never mind. Whatever stone is left in the bag, I must have chosen the other one, mustn't I?"
Tree cannot admit his deception and so has to agree that Belle must have chosen the white stone as a black one remains in the bag.

messa pensive 11.jpg Hum, perhaps that I'm a little dumb but I'm not sure that I've understood ... blonde4.gif

Another tale from Crux and one to exercise the brain cells.

Belle has three suitors but she secretly favours just one of them. The three are Tree, Wragg and Bobinder.

To settle who will claim her affections the three agree to hold a duel. Now Tree, who Belle favours is the worst shot as he will hit his target only once out of three shots, Bobinter is slightly better and he will hit his target twice out of three shots. Wragg is the best shot and never misses.

They agree that the order in which they will fire is the weakest shot first – that is Tree – followed by the next best shot – Bobinder – with the best shot – Wragg – firing last. They may shoot at whoever they choose when it is their turn.

Belle fears for Tree’s safety in the forthcoming duel but is determined to give him the best chance of surviving and so be able to claim her hand at the end of it. So that night she writes a note to Tree with some advice on how to improve his chance of success.

What did she write on the note.
[This is a hard one and as a clue Belle will tell you that the answer lies in probabilities and you are looking for the best chance not a certain chance of success.]

:2guns:

Belle has three suitors but she secretly favours just one of them. The three are Tree, Wragg and Bobinder.

To settle who will claim her affections the three agree to hold a duel. Now Tree, who Belle favours is the worst shot as he will hit his target only once out of three shots, Bobinter is slightly better and he will hit his target twice out of three shots. Wragg is the best shot and never misses.

They agree that the order in which they will fire is the weakest shot first – that is Tree – followed by the next best shot – Bobinder – with the best shot – Wragg – firing last. They may shoot at whoever they choose when it is their turn.

Belle fears for Tree’s safety in the forthcoming duel but is determined to give him the best chance of surviving and so be able to claim her hand at the end of it. So that night she writes a note to Tree with some advice on how to improve his chance of success.

[This is a hard one and as a clue Belle will tell you that the answer lies in probabilities and you are looking for the best chance not a certain chance of success.]

Does Tree have his Seagram's???

Well, a couple of observations:

1. You prefer Tree?:confused::duke:

2. Two Goldman brothers risked their lives to save a woman (I won't say whom, but her initals are BM). One ended up dead, one ended up with a large bill for a room at the Dorchester and some fancy French food. So my message to all three guys is-put the guns down and walk away slowly. There are plenty of women you can have without risking either your lives or a murder rap. Think with the big head, guys, not the little one...

So my message to all three guys is-put the guns down and walk away slowly.

Good advice, Windar. What Belle seems to have overlooked is that I couldn't hit a barn door from five paces.

Also, I am a card-carrying coward.... :rolleyes:

Mr Pedant here... how can three people fight a duel? :confused:
It's a truel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truel

I don't think Belle's note to Tree says:

if the order is Tree, Bobinder, Wragg, with respective probabilities
ed15b6b7eca4d6b5b491f63fa3c462cafea19e24

and it is Wragg's turn, he should waste his shot if:
40f8aeb6b984ef8d86d7364dc8fe281a440406ed

but not do so if:
7ce4b79d64c20ead146f7a30d478d956933ee896

In between, Wragg should waste his shot if:
56ba1ecf26b74bd6a57ef2dc5e3f3d917cbd6238

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Actually, one thing I think we need to know - are they only allowed one shot each?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom