The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I need a good coffee to puzzle this one:

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that, in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'

'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your income on accessories for it.

(HOWEVER!)

The women's group concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that, in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your income on accessories for it.

(HOWEVER!)

The women's group concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
Clearly Feminine; The women's group doesn't make any sense (see #2 in men's reasons). Really simple, gals, you just need to think like men.:hsughwiggle:

I used to live in that area. At the time there was a steam train that ran from Intercourse to Paradise (also in Pennsylvania). Seemed like the right direction (although the return trip is no less metaphorically satisfying).

The Strasburg Rail Road is the oldest continuously operating railroad in the western hemisphere and the oldest public utility in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Chartered in 1832, the Strasburg Rail Road continues to operate under its original charter and original name.

My Father was born in Gap, PA, a couple of miles away!

Billed as the "Road to Paradise" Unfortunately they have made some concession the the TV generation:
https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ride/events/day-out-with-thomas/

(HOWEVER!)

I guess "garbage in, garbage out" applies to both sexes.

Ballgame (baseball, none of that 'football' crap) is on... Weathermen swore we were going to drown in rain (still waiting)... Hell, life is good...
Baseball - a striking proof for evolution of mankind. In former days you had to use the mace to defense yourself against dangerous animals and to smash the skull of your neighbor to get yourself a wife. Nowadays you just have to hit a little ball and you have a bodygard and enough money to buy a dozend women :)

Well, there was this recent story of an unfortunate British woman, who had plans to travel to the USA, and who accidentally clicked the wrong answer on her online ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) form :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45678517

The question was : "Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?"
Since her unintended answer was 'yes', she got trouble getting her visa.

Now, my question is, which public servant, somewhere on a desk in a government building along Pennsylvania Av., came up with this question? As if I would mark 'yes', despite having bad intentions on my travel? All right, if I got caught, they can sue me for intentionally disclosing my intentions, on the ESTA form, but as a future terrorist or spy, or genocidary :confused: that would be the last of my concern.

When I read the story, my mind went to a scene in the Blackadder IV series, the Episode 'General Hospital', where Blackadder must unmask an alleged German spy in an army hospital (note that 'hostipal' is not a misspelling on this occasion). Of course, his eternal sidekick Baldrick comes up with a cunning plan :

Baldrick: "I, too, have a cunning plan to catch the spy, sir."
Blackadder: "Do you, Baldrick, do you...?"
Baldrick: "You go round the hostipal and ask everyone, "Are you a German spy?"
Blackadder: "Yes, I must say, Baldrick, I appreciate your involvement on the
creative side."
Baldrick: "If it was me, I'd own up."
Blackadder: "Of course you would. But, sadly, the enemy have not added to the
German Army Entrance Form the requirement "Must have intellectual
capacity of a boiled potato."

I wonder which anonymous Homeland Security clerc, drawing up the ESTA form, one day came up with : "I have a cunning question to intercept terrorists!"

Well, there was this recent story of an unfortunate British woman, who had plans to travel to the USA, and who accidentally clicked the wrong answer on her online ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation) form :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-45678517

The question was : "Do you seek to engage in or have you ever engaged in terrorist activities, espionage, sabotage, or genocide?"
Since her unintended answer was 'yes', she got trouble getting her visa.

Now, my question is, which public servant, somewhere on a desk in a government building along Pennsylvania Av., came up with this question? As if I would mark 'yes', despite having bad intentions on my travel? All right, if I got caught, they can sue me for intentionally disclosing my intentions, on the ESTA form, but as a future terrorist or spy, or genocidary :confused: that would be the last of my concern.

When I read the story, my mind went to a scene in the Blackadder IV series, the Episode 'General Hospital', where Blackadder must unmask an alleged German spy in an army hospital (note that 'hostipal' is not a misspelling on this occasion). Of course, his eternal sidekick Baldrick comes up with a cunning plan :

Baldrick: "I, too, have a cunning plan to catch the spy, sir."
Blackadder: "Do you, Baldrick, do you...?"
Baldrick: "You go round the hostipal and ask everyone, "Are you a German spy?"
Blackadder: "Yes, I must say, Baldrick, I appreciate your involvement on the
creative side."
Baldrick: "If it was me, I'd own up."
Blackadder: "Of course you would. But, sadly, the enemy have not added to the
German Army Entrance Form the requirement "Must have intellectual
capacity of a boiled potato."

I wonder which anonymous Homeland Security clerc, drawing up the ESTA form, one day came up with : "I have a cunning question to intercept terrorists!"
The clerk was a Democrat...:doh:

I guess this is one question they are legally required to ask under the Immigration and Nationality Act, and I think that every year several old Germans had to answer 'yes', and a few not-so-old Irishmen still do.

Until the late 1980s they asked about communist beliefs, too.

Back
Top Bottom