The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Warm times in Paris:
haf21dpg_france_625x300_28_June_19.jpg
France Records All-Time Hottest Temperature At 45 Degrees Celsius: Weather Service
People cool off in the Trocadero fountains in Paris as a heatwave hit much of the country.

When I was growing up near Philadelphia, the one and only strip club in the city (pasties and g-strings required) was called the Trocadero!
ArchStOperaHouse.png
It's still there but is a legit theater specializing in art house stuff and punk rock.

France Records All-Time Hottest Temperature At 45 Degrees Celsius: Weather Service
Exactely 45,9° C !!! :very_hot::very_hot::very_hot:

Actualités Météo Direct canicule : record de France de température battu avec 45,9°C dans le Gard !
A 17h50 : le record national de température s'établit au final à 45,9°C à Gallargues-le-Montrieux dans le Gard.

Weather News Direct heatwave: French record temperature broken with 45.9oC in the Gard!
At 5:50 p.m.: The national temperature record is finally set at 45.9oC in Gallargues-le-Montrieux in the Gard.

The Gard ? The "Pont du Gard" , you know ...

Pont-du-Gard.jpg

Trocadero ?

It could be making reference to :

1)Spain
Trocadero Island in Cadiz Bay
... in memory of the Battle of the Trocadero which took place on August 31, 1823, during which a French expeditionary force removed the fort of trocadéro, which defended the port of Cadiz, Spain .

2)In Paris actually :
The Trocadero Palace, a building built for the 1878 World's Fair and replaced by the present-day Chaillot Palace for the 1937 World's Fair.

the Trocadero Gardens and trocadero Square (now the Place du Trocadéro-et-11-November in 1978), both created for the same event.

the aquarium, created in 1867 (one of the first in the world, after England), renovated in 1937 (the entrance), closed in 1985 and rebuilt in 2006.

Trocadero metro station (lines 6 and 9).

The Gard ? The "Pont du Gard" , you know ...
Of course! Built so well by the Romans using Gauls as slaves, it has lasted to today!
Located in Provincia, the Province, the first major foreign territory of Rome. The name has come down, corrupted, into French.

Last edited:
And close to the hot spot, Gallargues-le-Montrieux,
le Pont Ambroix, Pons Ambrussi, on the Via Domitia.
The Via Domitia was the first Roman road in Gaul and went on to Hispania. When the Roman engineers surveyed it, they followed a much older road, said to be the legendary route of Hercules!
I didn't know it ...
... and in fact, it's
Gallargues-le-Montueux ...
OMG! Did Eulalia mess up French. Or did she use the 13th century Latin-Frankish form? Inquiring minds want to know!:popcorn:

The Via Domitia was the first Roman road in Gaul and went on to Hispania. When the Roman engineers surveyed it, they followed a much older road, said to be the legendary route of Hercules!
That is part of a broader discussion. Much of these straight Roman roads can still be traced today in ancient Northern Gaul. But some claim these roads already existed longtime before the Romans came. Some are said to originate in Neolithic times. Much of these roads are called 'Chaussée Brunehaut', after the Francian Queen Brunehaut (547-613).

No, even at the news they were wrong ... or perhaps that we can use of the two names ...
Yes it seems Montueux is correct. Looking at the excellent
Larousse Dictionnaire des noms de lieux, which of course i have to hand,
I see Montrieux is one of very many names derived, in different variants,
from Latin monasteriolum 'a little monastery'. Montureux is another,
I wonder if Montueux might be a Provençal form of that?
Or else some reporter simply muddled Montueux with more common Montrieux,
and others copied him/her.

In fact, "montueux" is an old french word , no used actually, which signify :
"Qui a des montagnes , des collines " ... (which have mountains or hills)

I think that in this case, this term is better bestowed ... The town is built on the first butt of 65 m dominant the plain of Petite Camargue, made of dry ponds and swamps up to the coast located 12 km.
a9bc7e9c28a6ef24eb3ba09122ac00c9.png

Back
Top Bottom