The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
For a movie about car racing, a 'fast forward' button could also be helpful!:car:

Such endurance races as the Le Mans 24h, or Francorchamps 24h, have lost lots of their 'glamour' since around 1990. Formula 1 racing has practically seized the monopoly of the media and the attention from these times on. And now, Formula 1 on TV is vanishing behind pay walls, like soccer football, and soon cycling too.
The people's sports, robbed from the people, sadly.:(
okie dokie fast and furious movie brum brum brum red car :oops: :cat:

I went to see "Ford vs. Ferrari" today. I knew the story-line and my high-school friend had no clue at all of the history. I am and have been for too damn many been a racing fan but found the (well-told) lead-up to the '66 Le Mans a very much better story than the last third of the race. It was a rare instance that Tree knew more than most people in the theater. My friend, who IS a car guy seemed amazed at the politics that happened when we were 8-10 years old...

Yes, we went to a nearby restaurant and had adult beverages after the show.

Tree's recommendation is unless you really have someone that wants to see it, skip it until you can watch it on TV with a 'pause' button handy.

A Tree public service announcement...

T
For a movie about car racing, a 'fast forward' button could also be helpful!:car:

Such endurance races as the Le Mans 24h, or Francorchamps 24h, have lost lots of their 'glamour' since around 1990. Formula 1 racing has practically seized the monopoly of the media and the attention from these times on. And now, Formula 1 on TV is vanishing behind pay walls, like soccer football, and soon cycling too.
The people's sports, robbed from the people, sadly.:(
Many movies these days are awfully long. I really want to see "The Irishman". Scorcese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci, Keitel. When you think of an all-star line up, that's it. But it's 3 and a half hours! My bladder can't take it!

Many movies these days are awfully long. I really want to see "The Irishman". Scorcese, DeNiro, Pacino, Pesci, Keitel. When you think of an all-star line up, that's it. But it's 3 and a half hours! My bladder can't take it!
This one is 2 1/2 hours long. We got in at the 'start time' just to sit through 20 minutes of previews!!!

www.bbc.com/sport/american-football/50448708
This d*** hasn't played NFL football in three years and the NFL sets up a screening of his skills and the d*** M*****-f***** DOESN"T SHOW UP?!?!?!

The NFL has never done this before, 11 teams sent at least high-level scouts, and the Pr*** doesn't like the media can't film it????

I'm not a big NFL fan (think STL Cardinals and STL Rams and where they play now) and I really don't give a damn Colin...

What a joke to us...

This d*** hasn't played NFL football in three years and the NFL sets up a screening of his skills and the d*** M*****-f***** DOESN"T SHOW UP?!?!?!

The NFL has never done this before, 11 teams sent at least high-level scouts, and the Pr*** doesn't like the media can't film it????

I'm not a big NFL fan (think STL Cardinals and STL Rams and where they play now) and I really don't give a damn Colin...

What a joke to us...
I would like to see what your reaction would be like when you give a damn :)

What a joke to us...
A second rate player and a third rate person!

A second rate player and a third rate person!

First, Kaepernick took the 49ers to the SuperBowl. Hardly a second-rate accomplishment.

Secondly, his protest during the national anthem was echoed by numerous other athletes and civil right leaders. Your reaction reminds me of what happened after the protest at the 1968 Olympics by Tommie Smith and John Carlos (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute). They were roundly criticized. Only later was their action seen as courageous and inspiring. (They were awarded the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2008 ESPYs.) Perhaps, with enough time and perspective, more people will see Kaepernick's actions in this light.
220px-John_Carlos,_Tommie_Smith,_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

First, Kaepernick took the 49ers to the SuperBowl. Hardly a second-rate accomplishment.

Secondly, his protest during the national anthem was echoed by numerous other athletes and civil right leaders. Your reaction reminds me of what happened after the protest at the 1968 Olympics by Tommie Smith and John Carlos (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute). They were roundly criticized. Only later was their action seen as courageous and inspiring. (They were awarded the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2008 ESPYs.) Perhaps, with enough time and perspective, more people will see Kaepernick's actions in this light.
View attachment 778443
Personally, I think they should just do away with national anthems at league sporting events. The teams don't represent the country, they represent cities, or, more realistically, billionaire owners who feel free to move the team when some other city offers them a better deal. They should play the team song (if they don't have one, hire a starving musician to write one) instead. Save the national anthems for the Olympics, World Cup, etc., where the teams represent countries...

View attachment 778443
I don't know where you live or how old you are. 1968 is 51 years ago and I was 12 years old. I can't remember how the press covered it. At as for the 2008 ESPYs I doubt many of the voters really remember the event either. Kaepernick is not a modern hero. He did lead the 49ers to the Superbowl (though did not win it) years back but he was fading before he started his protests. He is not as young or as fit as he was since he last played... He won't come back as anymore than a back-up QB if he makes it at all...

Personally, I think they should just do away with national anthems at league sporting events. The teams don't represent the country, they represent cities, or, more realistically, billionaire owners who feel free to move the team when some other city offers them a better deal. They should play the team song (if they don't have one, hire a starving musician to write one) instead. Save the national anthems for the Olympics, World Cup, etc., where the teams represent countries...
As a consequence, further protests/actions like that of Kaepernick wouldn´t make sense any longer. But I don´t see that coming. As long as most of the money is made through the emotions of the spectators, you have to use anything to involve the people. For me it looks like the Americans are really crazy about thinks like the national anthem.

As a consequence, further protests/actions like that of Kaepernick wouldn´t make sense any longer. But I don´t see that coming. As long as most of the money is made through the emotions of the spectators, you have to use anything to involve the people. For me it looks like the Americans are really crazy about thinks like the national anthem.
He started saying he was protesting police brutality then moved on to saying the whole US is racist. He supposedly shut down Nike's 'Betsy Ross' flagged shoes because they were racist so Rush Limbaugh opened a new line of 'Betsy Ross' shirts donating all the profits to 'Tunnels to the Towers'. It has raised over $4M dollars for the cause. Who looks better?

I don't know where you live or how old you are. 1968 is 51 years ago and I was 12 years old. I can't remember how the press covered it. At as for the 2008 ESPYs I doubt many of the voters really remember the event either. Kaepernick is not a modern hero. He did lead the 49ers to the Superbowl (though did not win it) years back but he was fading before he started his protests. He is not as young or as fit as he was since he last played... He won't come back as anymore than a back-up QB if he makes it at all...

I agree with you about Kaepernick not returning to starting QB form, although there are a lot of quarterback-needy teams right now, and there are strong indications that the days of the strictly drop-back passer (which he is not) are numbered. I would not rule him out as a starter, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As for his politics, I also agree that he is not, as you say, a "modern hero," if by that you mean a populist hero, which I think you do. Certainly, football fan(atic)s don't like him because they are, well, fanatics and care for nothing that interferes with their enjoyment of the game. The majority of Americans who consider themselves patriots don't like anyone dissing the flag (perhaps because we are so indoctrinated into seeing it as a sacred icon: saying the pledge from kindergarten on, singing the national anthem at many public events while the flag flies above, etc., etc.). In other words, the cards are stacked against anyone like Kaepernick who wants social justice if he/she is viewed as denigrating our precious Star Spangled Banner. He might as well have condemned motherhood, apple pie and Chevrolet.

I guess what I'm saying is he is a modern hero, Tree. Anyone is who fights for people's rights. But he used your (and others') prime American symbol of patriotism in making his statement, and for that I'm sure you will never forgive him.

BTW, I was born & raised near where the national anthem was written. And I'm in my 70's. And I'm a patriot.

BTW, I was born & raised near where the national anthem was written. And I'm in my 70's. And I'm a patriot.
Never doubt others beliefs... And I am not an NFL fan so really don't care if he makes it or not. He bought his way out of what we would consider a damn good salary and there are too damn young ones that are better than he is now that can be hired for less than he can hope to make...

By the way I just bought my first new shoes in over a decade... They are American made and were cheaper than Nike's... They fit damn well too

Never doubt others beliefs... And I am not an NFL fan so really don't care if he makes it or not. He bought his way out of what we would consider a damn good salary and there are too damn young ones that are better than he is now that can be hired for less than he can hope to make...

By the way I just bought my first new shoes in over a decade... They are American made and were cheaper than Nike's... They fit damn well too
I appreciate your thoughts; they're edifying!

Glad you bought some USA shoes. I try my hardest to buy American. I do a lot of car repairs and woodworking, and I especially hate that it's more and more difficult to find good American-made tools. (Any CF folks who are looking for USA tools: here's where I go: http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html.)

Now, can we get back to our favorite subject?
6F301242-FA9D-4E87-854C-430282589A29.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom