The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'd think so, the argument arises as to where to put non-Japanese stuff that is clearly inspired by Japanese stylistic and narrative choices.
Well then it turns out that me & my family would at least be occasional, superficial anime consumers - getting just those that break into the mainstream, like the one I mentioned, or the many world-successful Hayao Miyazaki films.

As for non-Japanese stuff, insofar as a genre is defined by stylistic elements and not just by nationality or descent - why not, it would be like the question whether music in that style created outside of the American subcultures that spawned them deserve to be called jazz, blues, rock & roll etc.

Obviously when someone like me watches one of those Japanese films I'm aware there are often layers of cultural and mythological reference that aren't readily accessible to me and might just appear vaguely mystic and intriguing in a general way to me, while someone deeply knowledgeable about the cultural background could identify right away what they are referring to.
It will always be more different for 'outsiders' to get to that level but not impossible, it takes a lot of immersion -- more relevant though is perhaps whether you can't take the way the genre/art form works and apply it to a different background, while still remaining part of the same family of art. Ought to be possible.

I must confess that I happen to have some inexplicable aversion to Japanese pop culture in general. Of course, it's no one else's fault than mine that I feel that way but I've found it rather strange that I've grown such sentiments somehow.

In my country, many people love animes but have burning hatred against the Japanese people at the same time, which is quite unfortunate because it's nothing but a case of blatant racism, however you try to justify it. On the other hand, I don't have any grudge against the Japanese people at all, but I simply can't stand most part of their pop culture (e.g. animes, comedy shows, music, and etc.) for some reason.

It's something "natural" to me, so I can't really figure out where that aversion comes from. For example, I immediately had some uneasy feelings when I first saw screenshots of video games called Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil. It turns out that those games were from Japanese studios, although they feature American/European characters for the most parts.

And I've always hated certain aspects of the entertainment shows on television airing in my country (e.g. flashy subtitles, unnecessary voice over, and so on). And it was only later that I found out all these elements have originated from Japanese TV shows that our local producers used to copy.

I love Japanese food though, especially sushi. And I regard most of the Japanese people as good neighbours. But I have certain "radar" on my brain for some reason, which triggers everytime when I see most of the material, even remotely associated with the Japanese pop culture.

P. S. : To be fair, I also hate so called “K-pop” with passion :p

Last edited:
The one thing that fascinates me and draws me to Japanese S/m erotica is the stoical way the girls deal with pain, as if it's entirely natural - which of course it is - a challenge in life which we're born to face up to, none of the protesting, screaming and struggling expected in the West, just cool determination to face the test and come through with dignity and courage.

Maybe ... you just don't like 'pop-culture' in general ...?
How about some German pop culture, a few Helene Fischer songs will make you desire triple seppuku.
Possibly, yeah. But it's something I haven't been able to put my finger on the exact source.

But I feel like there's something definitely "Japanese" about certain aspects the things that I don't like, for example, girls who try to be cute by acting or talking like a baby. Probably the characters of Final Fantasy series would best serve as an example - they look neither like Asians, nor Europeans, and all girls have such an exaggerated angelic, innocent look while all the male characters look like they were K-pop idols :)

Sorry but I have little knowledge of German pop culture. But I love American and British pop songs from the 60s through the 90s.

Oh, I like Helloween, by the way... one of the few musicians I know from that region.

Last edited:
So this angry woman showed up at a city council meeting(?) to protest requirements to wear masks. And she wants everyone to know that she's not a sex slave and definitely not into sadomasochism and bondage. :p

Personally, I doubt that she has ever given these things an honest try. But what do I know.

So this angry woman showed up at a city council meeting(?) to protest requirements to wear masks. And she wants everyone to know that she's not a sex slave and definitely not into sadomasochism and bondage. :p

Personally, I doubt that she has ever given these things an honest try. But what do I know.

I think her singing of "God bless America" is extremely sadistic :devil:

And she wants everyone to know that she's not a sex slave and definitely not into sadomasochism and bondage. :p
I wonder where did she get the idea that wearing a mask implies that. If she has a reason to believe so... I can see it will become a huge fashion trend among the fine ladies of this community soon. :)

Now I know where she got the idea. :p

(On a side note, I did a little experiment with colour correction when I rednered this, and I really like the result. It even looks decent on my iPad, so I'll probably use a similar setting for my future renders.)

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
tries to share 4 bottles of wine with you!

Chateau Migraine exellent for such an ocassion!, what ever the year is on the bottle :)

Back
Top Bottom