The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
These stories about accidents remind me of a true accident which happened on one single evening to a German real "Pechvogel" (= pitch bird = unlucky person), but this story made him famous around 1970, when he wrote this story to his insurance so that they could pay his loss of earnings.

The story started with a knife in his hobby- and craft-cellar, where he cut his right hand when he was carving something. It was a rather deep cut and his wife was disinfecting the wound with methylated spirits on paper handkerchiefs. The doctor was called and he made a bandage for the hand.

The doctor drove away and after this shock, the "Pechvogel" went to the toilet, sitting on it while lighting a cigarette with a match. The match fell under him, where his wife before was throwing the paper handkerchiefs which were still wet with the methylated spirit in the toilet. His wife had also poured away the rest of disinfectants which was not used. This mixture under him exploded, causing severe burnings on some private body parts of this poor man.

The same doctor as before was called again, came, looked at the burnings and said, this is worth calling an ambulance and the hospital.

Some time later, the ambulance arrived and the poor injured man could not really walk any more, so he had to be put on the ambulance's stretcher and the paramedics just tried to carry him down a stairway, when one of the paramedics made the mistake to ask that poor man, how he got these burnings at those places.

The poor man made the even bigger mistake to tell his story before they left the stairway. One of the paramedics had to laugh so uncontrollable that he could not hold the stretcher any more and the injured man fell down on the stairway, breaking his left arm.

After they finally arrived in the hospital, he got several bandages more - right hand, several private body parts, plaster cast for the left arm - and some more medical treatment in order to stop him talking about this evening and the paramedics.

One day later, he called his secretary and dictated the letter to his insurance about this evening, which made him famous in 1970.

Last edited:
That is reminiscent of a classic tale:

unfortunately the barrel of bricks was heavier than I was...

I was now heavier than the barrel...

a lesson in 'torture by gravity' which should be a familiar theme on Crux Forums...

stories about accidents
No comment from someone who was stupid enough to get herself nicked by the sickle on Sunday ;)

No comment from someone who was stupid enough to get herself nicked by the sickle on Sunday ;)

Not this sickle I hope!
reaper-death.jpg
Jolly, leave that woman alone please, I need her to finish the girl without a sword story!

Not this sickle I hope!
View attachment 871153
Jolly, leave that woman alone please, I need her to finish the girl without a sword story!
That's a scythe, not the same thing at all!
20200624_104808.jpg
The little black one got me!

I did go to the hospital to get a tetanus refresher shot and let them look things over ...

... it was mostly Eastern European nurses (the reason for this is often given as 'Germans are too lazy' but the truth is, that's just the usual way of diverting from intentionally created economic injustices by firing up group stereotypes)

... and their German wasn't sufficient to understand what instrument I was referring to, so I had to resort to historical background ... you know, on the flag of the old Soviet Union, hammer and the other thing? That other thing is a 'Sichel' ...

It is always good to have a look if ones tetanus vaccination is still valid. There were astonishingly many famous persons who died of a sepsis or something similar, e.g. Richard I the Lionheart or the French-Italian Baroque composer Jean-Baptiste Lully, who is said to have died in a way which is almost worth a "Darwin Award". He probably had used his silver walking stick as a musical baton to clap on the ground for his orchestra. Then the tip of the stick hit his toes through one shoe and caused an inflammation. He could possibly had saved his life by an amputation of toes or of one foot but he refused because he wanted to be able to dance in the future, which was already limited for him.

By the way: The Top 10 Darwin Award Winners ...

Last edited:
During the last 5 years or so, I often thought that human beings must have been more intelligent or - at least not so "kinky" - some decades ago. I think, I was probably wrong ...

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.24_13h10m29s_003 x1.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.24_13h08m42s_02_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.24_13h07m51s_001_.jpg Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.24_13h11m53s_004_.jpg The truth about the past can make you very sad ...
Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.24_13h10m29s_003_x2.jpg In those "good old times", you probably only needed a wide treadle (running board?) at your car, not necessarily a camper ...

During the last 5 years or so, I often thought that human beings must have been more intelligent or - at least not so "kinky" - some decades ago. I think, I was probably wrong ...

View attachment 871182 View attachment 871183 View attachment 871184 View attachment 871185 The truth about the past can make you very sad ...
View attachment 871186 In those "good old times", you probably only needed a wide treadle (running board?) at your car, not necessarily a camper ...

#4 is bizarrely a real thing, and Hugo Gernsback is best remembered today for the annual Science Fiction award that bares his name, the Hugo

That's a scythe, not the same thing at all!
20200624_104808.jpg
The little black one got me!
In general, that is the difference in English usage, between two quite different tools, though there are - and in the past were many more - harvesting and mowing tools somewhere between the two, with more or less curved, straight-edged or serrated, blades, handles of varied lengths, straight or curving, and used in various ways - in different parts of the country I've still come across either word being used for different types. And they can all give you a nasty cut!

1593037261_123.jpg

1593037261_12.jpg

(Images are hosted externally. Source: pgr21.com)

Translation:
"Excuse me, sirs. Do you know how to light a fire?"
"Yes. Use a lighter."

I won't blame her for showing racial prejudices without knowing the context (it could very well be scripted), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case, considering how little awareness of such matters those who live here have.

Whichever be the case, I find this to be amusing enough to be shared. :)

Mhm, to be honest, I would like to know a bit more about the background behind these two pictures.
She is probably Korean because this is from a Korean site as far as I understood.

But where have these pictures been taken?
Did she think - in spite of the clothings - she is on an archipel / island, which has not been in contact with "civilisation" for a long time / at all and did she really expect for this reason, that the "aborigines" would make fire like the people in the stone ages?

In parts of Papua New Guinea or on the islands of the Indian Andamanes like "North Sentinel" (mhm, although no clothings on North Sentinel), ...

... her assumptions could have been correct even today but everywhere else, her assumptions would be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Mhm, to be honest, I would like to know a bit more about the background behind these two pictures.
She is probably Korean because this is from a Korean site as far as I understood.

But where have these pictures been taken?
Did she think - in spite of the clothings - she is on an archipel / island, which has not been in contact with "civilisation" for a long time / at all and did she really expect for this reason, that the "aborigines" would make fire like the people in the stone ages?

In parts of Papua New Guinea or on the islands of the Indian Andamanes like "North Sentinel" (mhm, although no clothings on North Sentinel), ...

... her assumptions could have been correct even today but everywhere else, her assumptions would be ridiculous.
I just did a bit of research and I'm glad that I wasn't too quick to condemn her for being ignorant or racist. It was a TV show in which celebrities visit secluded places in the world to experience the nature. In that particular episode, she - apparently a member of some popular girl group. Don't ask me about the name because I hate k-pop with passion :p - and a few other celebrities visited Fiji and tried to "survive" there without relying on too many commodities of civilization.

After failing to start a fire, however, she decided to ask the natives for help which was the context of the above pictures that I posted earlier.

Maybe she actually imagined those who live in the island still use the same skill their prehistoric ancestors relied on, but it's also entirely possible that she simply asked them because there were no other people to ask, and her group was supposed to live like cavemen anyway.

So yeah, I admit that I should have remembered the famous quote from Abraham Lincoln before posting those images:

0178f2c9593c7d838c481f9c057cacbc.jpg

(Image source: Pinterest)

Last edited:
Mhm, I think, I know what Abraham Lincoln could have meant, because I believe to remember a famous speech of a day in July, 2019, in which airports were once re-conquered (?) from the British colonial army and some "historical photos" at some unusual places in the internet surprised me a lot:

Ashampoo_Snap_2019.07.07_11h00m49s_006_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom