The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
Squirrel has a long-term plan:

151c18d433d9dad8d5cd821657e89a26.jpg

No worries,dude. ;) ;)
Do you really wish to address Apostate as a "dude"? Thanks to Kelly Grovier of the BBC may I enlighten you.....

"It’s thought that ‘dude’ is an abbreviation of ‘Doodle’ in ‘Yankee Doodle’, and probably refers to the new-fangled ‘dandy’ that the song describes. Originally sung in the late 18th Century by British soldiers keen to lampoon the American colonists with whom they were at war, the ditty, by the end of the 19th Century, had been embraced in the US as a patriotic anthem.

By then, an indigenous species of fastidiously over-styled popinjays had emerged in America to rival the British dandy, and it is to this new breed of primly dressed aesthetes that the term ‘dude’ was attached. Over time, the silk cravats and tapered trousers, varnished shoes and stripy vests worn by such proponents of the trend as Evander Berry Wall (the New York City socialite who was dubbed ‘King of the Dudes’) would be stripped away, leaving little more than a countercultural attitude to define what it means to be a Dude (or an El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing)."

Apostate does not conjur up an image of an over-styled popinjay......but you never know.

Do you really wish to address Apostate as a "dude"? Thanks to Kelly Grovier of the BBC may I enlighten you.....

"It’s thought that ‘dude’ is an abbreviation of ‘Doodle’ in ‘Yankee Doodle’, and probably refers to the new-fangled ‘dandy’ that the song describes. Originally sung in the late 18th Century by British soldiers keen to lampoon the American colonists with whom they were at war, the ditty, by the end of the 19th Century, had been embraced in the US as a patriotic anthem.

By then, an indigenous species of fastidiously over-styled popinjays had emerged in America to rival the British dandy, and it is to this new breed of primly dressed aesthetes that the term ‘dude’ was attached. Over time, the silk cravats and tapered trousers, varnished shoes and stripy vests worn by such proponents of the trend as Evander Berry Wall (the New York City socialite who was dubbed ‘King of the Dudes’) would be stripped away, leaving little more than a countercultural attitude to define what it means to be a Dude (or an El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing)."

Apostate does not conjur up an image of an over-styled popinjay......but you never know.

Interestingly, the urban dictionary (www.urbandictionary.com) devotes 46 pages to definitions and usage of dude as a slang term. Here's the first two entries:

A word that americans use to address each other. Particularly stoners, surfers and skaters.
"dude, i'm like......dude"

1: dude is what you call someone when you aren't sure about their name
2: what you call your best friend
"yo dude whats your name"

My opinion is that "dude" now carries a more-or-less positive connotation, as opposed to the original usage, which was synonymous with a dandy. I would not consider it an insult if I were Apostate, but more a low-key term of endearment.

EdczU3j.jpg

Well that is interesting.....I did wonder,where the male-oriented term came from....I'm sure that if @Apostate was offended by the macho endearment, he would be entitled to address the matter....and i would cheerfully accept with culpability.
Men DO have a propensity towards greeting each other with mock-Insults,such as " Fuck me,you old wanker,how are you doing...?!"
Sorry,it's a "bloke thing"....
Whereas Ladies....use terms of endearment.
Right ?? ;)

Back
Top Bottom