The Coffee Shop

• Thread starter The Fallen Angel
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
I'm too "young" to remember the film in detail. I only vaguely remember it was a horror-flick involving sharks. But now I watched that clip, I can clearly see how it became one of the most successful horror films of all time - I'm truly horrified to look at the girl's face and I feel worried what that creature would do to those poor innocent aquatic animals.
oho grandma was told me when was young kittie been on jaws not know which part in cinema and when bad fish attack on screen was bite colleague in paw also she is still angry to grandma for this and not talking with grandma meow :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse: :iru:

That's how I see it here too. In the time before masks were officially endorsed it would be almost exclusively people of East Asian descent, or couples where one partner was East Asian, who could be seen wearing masks in supermarkets etc. Social shaming worked against mask-wearing outside of that group, as if it was an 'anti-European act' to wear a mask.
Even though we in UK have (allegedly) turned anti-European, I think we have the same mind-set as malins quotes. Wearing masks is a habit foreigners have, so we will not!
I have a mask and have worn it in shops, but very few people are, so I feel very conspicuous. I don't use public transport or go in crowded places, so am likely to wear one even less, which means I forget to have it with me.

One aspect not mentioned enough, in my opinion, is how it stops me touching my mouth or nose with my fingers.

Even though we in UK have (allegedly) turned anti-European, I think we have the same mind-set as malins quotes. Wearing masks is a habit foreigners have, so we will not!
I have a mask and have worn it in shops, but very few people are, so I feel very conspicuous. I don't use public transport or go in crowded places, so am likely to wear one even less, which means I forget to have it with me.

One aspect not mentioned enough, in my opinion, is how it stops me touching my mouth or nose with my fingers.

It is an act of willpower to wear a mask when no one else is. I feel like I am about to rob a bank or something. Then again I hold to the thought that if Covid does get me I would like it to stop with me and have no intention of sharing it (despite the fact it is in no way as fun as either peanuts or chocolate).

Well yes it can happen that we forget, that's happened to me too; it's new and we're unaccustomed to it but so long as you don't have to wear them for prolonged periods of time or do physical work it really doesn't hurt the average person. Wearing one for 6 hours on an ICE train is not so comfortable though ...

I'm somewhat more dependent than others on public transport because driving a car isn't an option for me and not everything can be done by bike. During the early part of the pandemic that was pretty frightening as literally everybody was coughing in everybody else's face. However since the introduction of mask rules compliance in general has been reasonable.

Simple rules like 'everybody wear something over the mouth and nose in public transport and shops' are easy to understand and not too stressful to follow, so most people have.

The problem with purely voluntary rules I'd say is not because coercion is necessary (I've not seen any kind of enforcement, anywhere ever) but rather because if it's all up to oneself on a case by case decision ... one will tend to just default back to the baseline of doing nothing,.

oho rodent and followers meow :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse:
giphy241.jpg

chill out squirrel eat taco :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse:
giphy245.gif

oho naughty rodent broke computer meow :oops: :cat: :conejo: :mouse:
giphy251.jpg

I know this is a thread about squirrels and probably few would be interested in how fucked up the political situation is in a far Asian country.

But something extraordinary happened here today, and most of the things that I've read on the internet about the incident made me almost physically sick with disgust, so I really need to vent.

At the moment, CF is the only online community where I post regularly except for a local tech-related website. Besides, it is also more politically-correct than most of the local online communities that I know of, believe it or not.

I know many of you are not a fan of PC and I'm neither, at least when the word is used to denote the more fanatical types who wield it like a weapon. But if you happened to live in a place where most people think it's ok to be xenophobic, for example, you'll likely be going to miss it to keep your sanity.

A few hours ago, the mayor of Seoul was found dead, presumably committed suicide after his secretary was preparing to sue him for sexual harassment. In my opinion, he was the most despicable type of a politician, despite his popularity (he was elected to the position three times in a row), so I'm not shocked with his unexpected death itself.

What makes the incident ironic is that he happened to be the lawyer who introduced the concept of sexual harassment in S. Korea in the early 90s. He has been an open proponent of feminism. However, I'm pretty convinced that he would have been the first to condemn feminism, had his political sense matched his unbound willingness to please the public to be able to realize how unpopular the concept is in this country.

But again, it wasn't his hypocrisy that disgusted me either as I already thought it to be his defining trait as a politician.

The political situation in my country is quite peculiar and also surreal. On the surface, it appears to be dominated by liberal and progressive sentiments, as the party which is supposed to represent that political spectrum recently won a landslide victory. And the President who is from the same party still enjoys a robust approval rate in the third year in his position.

In fact, the supposed 'progressive' party is so popular that you can't openly say you are a conservative (I'm a political liberal, by the way) without expecting to get personal insults on the internet. Many would instantly regard you to be either a moron or an evil person as soon as you say you support the conservative party. It became a risky thing for a public figure to criticize the President so few would dare to do it, fearing getting lynch mobbed on the internet and lose his or her job (a few actually did lose a job for that).

What makes the situation genuinely surreal is that there's nothing really liberal or progressive about those political mobs, or the party they support. The same people who proudly declare they were 'a progressive' often prove to be as much xenophobic, homophobic, or misogynistic as their conservative opponents.

In my country, you can publicly say things like "I hate Chinks/Japs" or "I hate homosexuals because they spread AIDS" on the internet and still considered 'progressive' or 'liberal,' as long as you declare all conservatives need to die. Many even believe that they need to hate the Japanese people to be a reasonably educated citizen and the political party they support encourages them to maintain such an opinion.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but I genuinely wish I was. Koreans are generally shy when it comes to talking about politics in person. But on the internet, they can be quite a different beast. And currently, the whole Korean internet space is pretty much dominated by those political goons.

Recently, I spent half a day trying to persuade people that it's wrong to make hate speeches against the Chinese people as a whole in one of the largest local internet communities. I got bombarded with all sorts of personal insults and accused to be a 'Chinese spy' countless times, and not a single person agreed with me while the thread gathered more than 500 posts. And the same thing happened when I claimed that feminism is not a bad thing in itself.

If you knew how to read Korean and spent some time on the Korean online communities, I'm sure you will begin to feel that Donald Trump is quite a sensible and politically correct person in comparison.

And now I can finally go back to where I began and tell you why the unfortunate suicide of the former mayor has made me almost physically sick.

Currently, pretty much every Korean community that I visit is filled with such posts triumphantly claiming how all feminists are such abominable monsters like that dead mayor. It's a common thing to say that a man has no reason to be a feminist unless he is a sex offender and feeling guilt for what he did.

I suppose now you understand how a person can wish to see some political correctness in action, even though he doesn't like those fanatic sorts who wave it like a flag in their self-righteous crusade. And I guess there's undeniably something really fucked up, if you can see more favourable sentiments towards the political correctness regarding feminism in a place where people talk about crucifying naked girls than in most of the 'ordinary' online communities here.

And that's the main reason why I try to stay away from Korean communities and take refugee in English forums despite my difficulty with the language. Believe me. If you find yourself always surrounded by hundreds of Donald Trump who claim to be a champion of the progressive movement, you will probably feel like I do too.

Sorry about the rant and about hijacking a thread with a non-squirrel related topic, but I really needed it.
squirrel is not happy becuse is non squirrel topic :oops: :cat: :mouse:
giphy254.jpg

I know this is a thread about squirrels and probably few would be interested in how fucked up the political situation is in a far Asian country.

But something extraordinary happened here today, and most of the things that I've read on the internet about the incident made me almost physically sick with disgust, so I really need to vent.

At the moment, CF is the only online community where I post regularly except for a local tech-related website. Besides, it is also more politically-correct than most of the local online communities that I know of, believe it or not.

I know many of you are not a fan of PC and I'm neither, at least when the word is used to denote the more fanatical types who wield it like a weapon. But if you happened to live in a place where most people think it's ok to be xenophobic, for example, you'll likely be going to miss it to keep your sanity.

A few hours ago, the mayor of Seoul was found dead, presumably committed suicide after his secretary was preparing to sue him for sexual harassment. In my opinion, he was the most despicable type of a politician, despite his popularity (he was elected to the position three times in a row), so I'm not shocked with his unexpected death itself.

What makes the incident ironic is that he happened to be the lawyer who introduced the concept of sexual harassment in S. Korea in the early 90s. He has been an open proponent of feminism. However, I'm pretty convinced that he would have been the first to condemn feminism, had his political sense matched his unbound willingness to please the public to be able to realize how unpopular the concept is in this country.

But again, it wasn't his hypocrisy that disgusted me either as I already thought it to be his defining trait as a politician.

The political situation in my country is quite peculiar and also surreal. On the surface, it appears to be dominated by liberal and progressive sentiments, as the party which is supposed to represent that political spectrum recently won a landslide victory. And the President who is from the same party still enjoys a robust approval rate in the third year in his position.

In fact, the supposed 'progressive' party is so popular that you can't openly say you are a conservative (I'm a political liberal, by the way) without expecting to get personal insults on the internet. Many would instantly regard you to be either a moron or an evil person as soon as you say you support the conservative party. It became a risky thing for a public figure to criticize the President so few would dare to do it, fearing getting lynch mobbed on the internet and lose his or her job (a few actually did lose a job for that).

What makes the situation genuinely surreal is that there's nothing really liberal or progressive about those political mobs, or the party they support. The same people who proudly declare they were 'a progressive' often prove to be as much xenophobic, homophobic, or misogynistic as their conservative opponents.

In my country, you can publicly say things like "I hate Chinks/Japs" or "I hate homosexuals because they spread AIDS" on the internet and still considered 'progressive' or 'liberal,' as long as you declare all conservatives need to die. Many even believe that they need to hate the Japanese people to be a reasonably educated citizen and the political party they support encourages them to maintain such an opinion.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but I genuinely wish I was. Koreans are generally shy when it comes to talking about politics in person. But on the internet, they can be quite a different beast. And currently, the whole Korean internet space is pretty much dominated by those political goons.

Recently, I spent half a day trying to persuade people that it's wrong to make hate speeches against the Chinese people as a whole in one of the largest local internet communities. I got bombarded with all sorts of personal insults and accused to be a 'Chinese spy' countless times, and not a single person agreed with me while the thread gathered more than 500 posts. And the same thing happened when I claimed that feminism is not a bad thing in itself.

If you knew how to read Korean and spent some time on the Korean online communities, I'm sure you will begin to feel that Donald Trump is quite a sensible and politically correct person in comparison.

And now I can finally go back to where I began and tell you why the unfortunate suicide of the former mayor has made me almost physically sick.

Currently, pretty much every Korean community that I visit is filled with such posts triumphantly claiming how all feminists are such abominable monsters like that dead mayor. It's a common thing to say that a man has no reason to be a feminist unless he is a sex offender and feeling guilt for what he did.

I suppose now you understand how a person can wish to see some political correctness in action, even though he doesn't like those fanatic sorts who wave it like a flag in their self-righteous crusade. And I guess there's undeniably something really fucked up, if you can see more favourable sentiments towards the political correctness regarding feminism in a place where people talk about crucifying naked girls than in most of the 'ordinary' online communities here.

And that's the main reason why I try to stay away from Korean communities and take refugee in English forums despite my difficulty with the language. Believe me. If you find yourself always surrounded by hundreds of Donald Trump who claim to be a champion of the progressive movement, you will probably feel like I do too.

Sorry about the rant and about hijacking a thread with a non-squirrel related topic, but I really needed it.

Last edited:

Thanks fallenmystic, it's very interesting, if sad, for me to read of what's going on in your country. One thing I love about these Forums is getting to know people from parts of the world that we only get very superficial, probably very misleading, accounts of in even our more intelligent and responsible media channels. While we don't want political arguments here - like you, most members are here to get away from the toxic abuse and mud-slinging that passes for political debate across the internet - I think it's very reasonable to share your feelings in a non-partisan way. I do share your troubled feelings about the vicious, toxic language used by so many 'activists' whose causes I might sympathise with and tend to support - but their arrogant assumption that they're right and anyone who takes a different view is contemptible, only worthy to be vilified and demonised, undermines what good they want to achieve, and only joins them with those elsewhere in the political spectrum with a contempt for truth, reason and no commitment to use language to try to come to a shared understanding - they're all on the same road, and it's one that leads to repression, totalitarianism, and rule by the ones with the loudest, most extreme views and the biggest stick. :(

probably few would be interested in how fucked up the political situation is in a far Asian country.
Thanks, actually it's very interesting to get any kind of inside view, reporting we gets tends to be quite superficial and assumes everything maps pretty much 1:1 to Western concepts. It's not new though that people can either call themselves 'liberal' or 'progressive' and hold all kinds of group-based hatreds, or on the flip side that people can call themselves 'conservative' and do their utmost to destroy any still-functioning traditional institution in the interest of business. I do have a friend who came here from South Korea many years ago but we hardly ever talk any politics at all, it's all kids...

Anyway what kind of people are at the coffee shop, and what they talk about always changes, ... just click on the very first page and you will see it started with a very different clientele and they talked about Photoshop!

Thanks, actually it's very interesting to get any kind of inside view, reporting we gets tends to be quite superficial and assumes everything maps pretty much 1:1 to Western concepts. It's not new though that people can either call themselves 'liberal' or 'progressive' and hold all kinds of group-based hatreds, or on the flip side that people can call themselves 'conservative' and do their utmost to destroy any still-functioning traditional institution in the interest of business. I do have a friend who came here from South Korea many years ago but we hardly ever talk any politics at all, it's all kids...

Anyway what kind of people are at the coffee shop, and what they talk about always changes, ... just click on the very first page and you will see it started with a very different clientele and they talked about Photoshop!
They did talk tech for a little while all those years ago but it's good to see the old shop is still providing a useful service and as malins just said it's always good to get the inside view. I'm still amazed at how civilised this place is compared to the real world where a woman screams abuse at a tv reporter because she was wearing a mask. That mask discussion was very illuminating as the recent insights into S Korean politics.

Well, technically, and much as I like the squirrels, the Coffee Shop is actually supposed to be a sort of hangout where people can chat about whatever they like (that isn't politically volatile, of course) and that sort of thing. Squirrels just get in everywhere, if you let them, and then you have a bugger of a time getting them back out. :D

Well, technically, and much as I like the squirrels, the Coffee Shop is actually supposed to be a sort of hangout where people can chat about whatever they like (that isn't politically volatile, of course) and that sort of thing. Squirrels just get in everywhere, if you let them, and then you have a bugger of a time getting them back out. :D
We all know you and the squirrel go way back.......

tumblr_ovje8dbOXy1qzfsnio10_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom