The Crux Forum Writer's Lounge

Go to CruxDreams.com
I haven't written any erotic BDSM stories in a long time (currently doing some really bad poetry and a couple of books, as well as editing a book for a friend) but I always found it was easier for me if I tried to write like I was telling the story aurally not writing it down. That appears to be my style as a story teller.

I do have friends who tell me that when they read my writing they can hear my voice telling the story.

MY suggestion to you would be to just plow through the story while the idea is new and bright in your head. Then set it aside for a couple of days and then revamp it. And do it again and do it again.

I was going through a couple of my stories yesterday that are over 10 years old and still seeing things I wish I had written differently.

So I make the correction.

Remember the last guy who was perfect got crucified so don't be too set on making it perfect.

And let's face it your readers are probably going to get off while reading it anyway so they may not even get to the end.

"Perfect is the enemy of good enough."

Hope that helps.

kisses

I haven't written any erotic BDSM stories in a long time (currently doing some really bad poetry and a couple of books, as well as editing a book for a friend) but I always found it was easier for me if I tried to write like I was telling the story aurally not writing it down. That appears to be my style as a story teller.

I do have friends who tell me that when they read my writing they can hear my voice telling the story.

MY suggestion to you would be to just plow through the story while the idea is new and bright in your head. Then set it aside for a couple of days and then revamp it. And do it again and do it again.

I was going through a couple of my stories yesterday that are over 10 years old and still seeing things I wish I had written differently.

So I make the correction.

Remember the last guy who was perfect got crucified so don't be too set on making it perfect.

And let's face it your readers are probably going to get off while reading it anyway so they may not even get to the end.

Hope that helps.

kisses
Then sould you test, to use a dictaphon or the Program: DragonNaturallySpeaking.

Dear writers of crux-stories
I would like to ask you something. I do write stories about crucifixions myself.
I had to learn a hard lesson: writing stories is much harder then inventing them!
Again and again, an idea comes to me, flying through my mind. It seems everytime to be the best idea in the world. I am fully enthusiastic, I take notes in my brain and than on paper in a ring binder. I really WANT to write the story.
But when it comes to write it, the torment starts. Then I poke around to find my way through the sentences. I do not get ahead. I am dissatisfied with every second sentence.
On my computer keyboard, the delete key is the most used of all!
Writing goes slow and it is exhausting. Inventing a story is so much easier then to write it down!
Inventing a crux story is big fun. Writing is a hard job.
It is really strange that I have so many good ideas and when I start to write them down, a lot of those stories „die away“ after some pages on my computer.
How do you see the situation? Do you have the same problems like I have or do you just sit down and write the hell out of your keyboard?
I am kind of curious how your writing works.
Greetings to you all
Sassi:hello:

Hi. I'll just share my method and experience.
It's been a little while that I started writing (not only at crux but at some non-adult forums too).

For me I just let the plot play out like a movie in front of my eyes and then write down what I am 'seeing' in that movie. Of course this statement is an over-simplification and there are many more points to it. But that is my broad method.
william23 said that he tends to jump right into the action without the preamble. well I sometimes do the same too. but where's the problem? a story, especially if its a long one, need not be written linearly. if I am in the mood for the climax today, I shall do that. I can do the initial establishing of the plot later.
:)

Last edited:
Then sould you test, to use a dictaphon or the Program: DragonNaturallySpeaking.

OK, going to get a little technical here.

The problem with digital sound recordings is that digital equipment hears sounds that you are making but is beyond the ability of the human ear to hear. It also (often) mis-translates sounds based on how you enunciate.

That is why when you pickup a digital voicemail on your mobile phone and it is translated into text you are like "What the hell did they say?".

I think where someone may find dictation useful is that they can get the entire story out of their brain onto another medium so that they don't lose key ideas. Sort of like waking up from a dream and writing it down so you remember it.

The other challenge for me is that my stories are so vivid in my head that sometimes I have to stop in the middle and get off.

Not sure I want Dragon to try and translate that!

kisses

willowfall

I would like to ask you something. I do write stories about crucifixions myself.
I had to learn a hard lesson: writing stories is much harder then inventing them!
Again and again, an idea comes to me, flying through my mind. It seems everytime to be the best idea in the world. I am fully enthusiastic, I take notes in my brain and than on paper in a ring binder. I really WANT to write the story.
But when it comes to write it, the torment starts. Then I poke around to find my way through the sentences. I do not get ahead. I am dissatisfied with every second sentence.
Writing goes slow and it is exhausting. Inventing a story is so much easier then to write it down!
It is really strange that I have so many good ideas and when I start to write them down, a lot of those stories „die away“ after some pages on my computer.
How do you see the situation? Do you have the same problems like I have or do you just sit down and write the hell out of your keyboard?
Greetings to you all

Sassi ... I have found that sometimes, it is best to write the scenes that are key to your ideas. Things that are special about the character, the crux scene, etc ... etc ... etc.

Then fill things in as you can! ;)

Last edited:
Dear Cruxies
I am totally overwhelmed about sooo many answers! WOW! Thank you very much.
I found out: I am not alone. I am not the only one. That´s a good feeling.
I really liked to read all your answers but the most important message was this one:
„Don’t edit your work while you are writing. Get the full story down, whether you like it or not, and then, as your start posting your chapters here, edit each one as you post.“
When I read that it made BANG inside my head. It did feel like I ran into a wall. It opened doors inside my mind!
I did read it once and twice and again and again.
It is like playing music. If you play guitar, you cannot stop and start again in the middle of a song just because you made one Little mistake. You have to play the complete thing.
„Don’t edit your work while you are writing. Get the full story down, whether you like it or not, and then, as your start posting your chapters here, edit each one as you post.“
I will think at those words when I start a new story.
Big thanks for this special hint! I hope it will help me to become a better writer.
And my thanks to all of you.

Greez´n´kisses
Sassi

Just don’t think!!!

Dream!!! And then write before you can’t remember it.

Those stupid hurtful thoughts about needing a high level of education is the reason to avoid anyone that says ... You Will Be Completely Safe!

;)

Example:

My first communion was a week away ... my fear of the walls in the church filled me with unexplained thoughts!

My frilly white dress could never cover the expression on my face that day!

;)

You have a troubled mind!!!

Bobby!

:p

Greetings to you all

Hi Sassi,

English is my second language, a fact that makes the issue a little more complex for me, too.
Finding the right words to describe and "transport" situations and emotions just takes a little longer than maybe in German.
Writing is an art. An artist is always very self reflected and critical with his work.

No matter if you write stories, paint, sing, be a sculptor.....

First of all, I never plan to write (no matter if it's a song, a story, or a poem).
From my point of view, I'm not considering myself as being that talented as a writer,
but it's alright and good enough for some stories and songs.

When I started reading here in the forum, there was this urge rising in me, to express my feelings about crucifiction
in a more realistic way, than what you get when you go to church (I don't :)).

Before I start a project, I'd have to feel and see the story. It has to be alive, capture and move me.
Then I can write about what I see and feel. Sometimes it's good, when I go over it, and sometimes not.
It can be a longer story, or maybe just some phrases.

What I think is important for me, is that I release my locked in feelings.
And don't forget, if everybody likes it, it's not art:).

I know what it's like to have difficulty writing. I have written 3 stories that seemed to work out quite well for me. The common elements in all three was that I had a good idea of how the plot of the entire story went before I started, and I could picture each character. Usually it is best for me if I stick to about 2 or 3 main characters. It becomes a great deal more difficult if I have to keep track of the points of view of too many. The easiest story for me in this regard was "Solomon". There was only one lead character who narrated the entire story from the first person perspective, and all the other characters only came "into frame" if they were immediately interacting with Solomon himself. If you have to tell the story from more than about 3 points of view, I find things get a bit muddy and there are too many sub-stories that all have to wind up together somehow. Fortunately, in "Firebird", which had a large cast, all the characters came together for the final chapter, and could act together in one room. "Nailed on Hard Wood" was simple again, because the whole story was from Mickey's point of view.

This leads to another point in my writing. I like dialogue. A first person retelling is easier for me than a third person story where "he said" or "she regarded him with skepticism as he turned the blue knob of the red door..." etc. I'd rather just tell the story from a character's point of view, or even get to the action via dialogue between characters. Writing interesting background is difficult for me, and much less enjoyable. It's also less funny, and I tend toward somewhat humorous stories, because that's the way my mind seems to work.

Many people have told me they liked "Crux Trek", which was fun to write, but occasionally difficult. Again, this was because of the large "crew" of characters, all of whom were doing different things at different times, and coordinating the timing so that Captain Wragg was in the park before Lt. Moore and Yeoman Siss crashed the Mustang, was important. That meant staggering sub-plots into different points and I tend to write chronologically, so this sort of thing is difficult. I should maybe write the whole story from one perspective, and then the whole story from the other perspective and then break them up, but I don't seem to plan things that way. Perhaps I should, but I don't.

Currently, I am sort of writing "The Old Firm" which is fun when it goes, but I have made the supreme mistake of not actually knowing what motivates this idea that 1) Barb should be crucified and/or rescued (depending on which character you are); and 2) why she is so important that Erin wants to rescue her across time and space; and 3) who is the mysterious employer of Mr. Jollyrei and Mr. Phlebas? Without knowing those things (which you don't know, because I don't) it's not easy to advance the plot coherently. When I figure it out (as in, when I have a plausible explanation for what's going on) I can continue the story. I know I'm interested in where it's going. As in other stories, the whole point for me is to write witty dialogue - that's the fun part, but in this case it's also making sure I have some sort of idea of what I'm writing the dialogue about. This is annoying, and it comes from not plotting out the whole thing ahead of time. I rather thought the story would unfold and reveal itself to me as I wrote, but it's apparently not that simple sometimes.

All this to say, I suppose, that I think there are quite a number of methods for getting into the writing of a story, and not all seem to work every time. I suspect all of us have had our share of writer's block. Sometimes it works just to write something to get back into the groove of a story, and sometimes nothing works except putting it down and coming back another day. That said, once I get going, I agree with what Terry Pratchett said - that writing is the most fun you can have in a room by yourself (I would add, especially if you're writing something fun and/or erotic).

A lot of valuable truths here...
Don’t edit your work while you are writing.
Inventing a story is so much easier then to write it down!
If you play guitar, you cannot stop and start again in the middle of a song just because you made one Little mistake.
Remember the last guy who was perfect got crucified so don't be too set on making it perfect....
For me I just let the plot play out like a movie in front of my eyes and then write down what I am 'seeing' in that movie.
Like a movie, or a piece of music... for me a story starts like the idea of a melody in my head, that you need to put down right there or you'll forget it. Once you have it though you can return and develop it and use it as the leitmotif for a larger composition. (I do find I often have symbolic elements that do repeat like recurring melodies). So far though I'm very bad at writing out long story arcs in advance.
English is my second language, a fact that makes the issue a little more complex for me, too.
Finding the right words to describe and "transport" situations and emotions just takes a little longer than maybe in German.
Hah, another one. I just creatively mangle the English language. No regrets. That's what happens with a 'world language'.

Best Way to Post Stories

What is the best or recommended way to posts one's own stories? Direct to the site, as most are, or write them out in Word first and post as an attachment? I ask because I'm working on one, but with constant alterations I could spend weeks on it and using the former method it'll be ages before the whole thing is posted segment by segment, especially as time only allows me to work on it at weekends.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the best or recommended way to posts one's own stories? Direct to the site, as most are, or write them out in Word first and post as an attachment? I ask because I'm working on one, but with constant alterations I could spend weeks on it and using the former method it'll be ages before the whole thing is posted segment by segment, especially as time only allows me to work on it at weekends.
I type mine in word and copy them here. It is easier to make corrections that way.

A note of help... Don't post long segments and space between paragraphs. It makes it easier to read.

I suggest, write the story complete in a wordprocessor (Maybe Word, Open or Libre Office, save as .txt)
Italic, bold and other attributes made it difficult to producing a book.
Read it a few times for finding typos or logical errors.
Then post here chapter for chapter (the limit are 20.000 characters).

As far as whether to have the story completed before you begin posting, or to post each chapter as you write it, there's no right answer. I generally do the former out of fear of getting halfway in and then deciding to take things in a different direction. But, others do the latter and find it works well.

Also, make sure Madi knows approximately how many chapters you plan to have and when you are at the end.;):eek::p

Back
Top Bottom