The Crux Forum Writer's Lounge

Go to CruxDreams.com

Madiosi

Depictor of Dreams
Staff member
Nice, to receive your feedback, @fallenmystic . We should first clarify, about we write.
E-Books (.mobi for Kindles, and .epub for other reader devices, both formats in the libary) are very flexible for presentation.
The user can choose and changing:
-fonts,
-row space,
-text alignment,
in the preferences menus of devices. A few examples (sorry in German Language on my devices).
2020-0327-064620.jpgTolino left, Kindle right main menus
2020-0327-064636.jpg the same text menu
2020-0327-064648.jpg kindle with submenu 1
2020-0327-064704.jpg kindle with submenu 2.
It's possible to choose personal preferences on devices and reader apps too.

Last edited:

fallenmystic

Governor
We should first clarify, about we write.
E-Books (.mobi for Kindles, and .epub for other reader devices, both formats in the libary) are very flexible for presentation.
Sorry I didn't clarify my suggestion clearly. I think I shouldn't have written 'e-books' when I intended to mean just PDF documents.

And now I noticed that all of the books in the library are indeed in a proper e-book format which allows such customizations, while the stories that I've downloaded from the archive are in PDF.

In that case, what I should have suggested is to increase the line height (and probably also decrease the font size a bit) of the PDF versions of the stories in the archive section, rather than e-books which are already customizable as you justly pointed out.

P.S.: And thanks for moving my thread to the proper place :)

Last edited:

Madiosi

Depictor of Dreams
Staff member
Sorry I didn't clarify my suggestion clearly. I think I shouldn't have wrote 'e-books' when I intended to mean just PDF documents.

And now I noticed that all of the books in the library are indeed in a proper e-book format which allows such customizations, while the stories that I've downloaded from the archive are in PDF.

In that case, what I should have suggested is to increase the line height (and probably also decrease the font size a bit) of the PDF versions of the stories in the archive section, rather than e-books which are already customizable as you justly pointed out.

P.S.: And thanks for moving my thread to the proper place :)
Ah! Hmmm, difficult to decide. I choose this format, font, alignment and rowspace for little devices, especially smartphones, the most used devices.
Smaller fonts and more space probably better for tablets or desktop-pcs but not for little screens. Before I change the preferences for pdf-production, we should ask all members for opinions.

fallenmystic

Governor
Before I change the preferences for pdf-production, we should ask all members for opinions.
I definitely agree. And that was why I wanted to make it a public post :)

To other members: I have made a suggestion which, I believe, could improve the readability of the PDF versions of our stories in the archive section.

You can see a comparison image from my original post or from below:

So, I'd like ask you to provide an opinion, in case you are interested of the matter. Thanks!

crumera

Crucifier of Pixels
I like the new spacing in height. but also like the older bigger font.
Combine the 2 and makes for better dyslexic reading comfort :)

fallenmystic

Governor
I like the new spacing in height. but also like the older bigger font.
Combine the 2 and makes for better dyslexic reading comfort :)
I definitely agree. The sample I made was based on LaTex rules for Korean texts, so I also think it would look better with a bit bigger font size (maybe something between the two would be perfect). On the other hand, I like the line spacing of the new version as it is. So I'd be happy if only line spacing could be adjusted like that.

Madiosi

Depictor of Dreams
Staff member
I definitely agree. The sample I made was based on LaTex rules for Korean texts, so I also think it would look better with a bit bigger font size (maybe something between the two would be perfect). On the other hand, I like the line spacing of the new version as it is. So I'd be happy if only line spacing could be adjusted like that.
Here a version with different font:

Attachments

fallenmystic

Governor
Here a version with different font:
I checked it both on my desktop and iPad I think the new version feels much easier to read. Here's the comparison shot (the right is the new one):

comparison.png

I wonder how it would look like with the line height just one or two pixel taller, but I'm already happy with the result as it is.

Thanks much for taking your time to listen to my suggestion! :)

Top Bottom