Go to CruxDreams.com
On 01 july 1590 Rebekka LEMP was accused of witchcraft and interrogated in Nördlingen...... Several witnesses saw her while she was hanged by one wrist completely naked and shaved. The following arguments where used during her torture, taken from citations of the Witch hammer from Jacob Sprenger and Heinrich Kramer (Neurenberg 1487).....
"Females are the most important ally of the devil. They have the magic power to provoke unwilling erections by men.....All females have carnal fancies, who are insatiable by females....."

Here a sketch of this storie

Wonderfully done sketch. It gets to what is probably a very realistic treatment of the subject. A woman no longer young, but still in good physical shape and attractive is put on humiliating display before a male audience in the torture chamber. It is the blending of both torture and sex which is so intriguing about the era of the witch hunts. I would hope that this very talented artist continues to create more work and that it gains a wider audience over time.

Indeed: me too, in all my sketches I put the accent on the humiliating part of the stories... instead of what you call "blood, smell, gore.............. Thanks for the info. I wrote her story in a book about the ice age in these years, where witches where accused of the disaster of bad harvest
>>>>> Everybody I guess is entitled to their own version of kink, but I am in complete agreement with what you choose to emphasize in these scenarios. A naked or almost naked woman in front of a court composed of male judges, scribes, torturers has to recount in the minutest of detail their sexual relations with the Devil. Focusing on stripping, searching for the Devils' mark or witches marks, etc. seems to me to be the erotic center of fictional treatment of this subject. I've come across already several examples of your work in this very short period that I've participated on this forum and I hope you continue on the same vein. I think a constructive way to approach these sketches would be to go back to actual historical cases, such as that of Rebecca Lemp, and then use those cases as themes for pictorial sketches.

I will never confess
When you read the historical accounts it is often quite surprising to read how many accused witches didn't confess. Only in certain regions where a full scale panic took place and anyone was susceptible to being accused and with no limits on torture were there close to 100% convictions after confession. In a more normal situation torture had its limits. Usually 3 applications was the maximum. A good example being in a region of Switzerland where out of 79 women accused and tortured, 51 held out and had to be acquitted. As to how much a human being could endure in the most extreme of situations the best example probably is of Marie Holl, also of Nordlingen, who went through an amazing 56 sessions of torture before being allowed to go home.

When you read the historical accounts it is often quite surprising to read how many accused witches didn't confess. Only in certain regions where a full scale panic took place and anyone was susceptible to being accused and with no limits on torture were there close to 100% convictions after confession. In a more normal situation torture had its limits. Usually 3 applications was the maximum. A good example being in a region of Switzerland where out of 79 women accused and tortured, 51 held out and had to be acquitted. As to how much a human being could endure in the most extreme of situations the best example probably is of Marie Holl, also of Nordlingen, who went through an amazing 56 sessions of torture before being allowed to go home.

That is amazing!!!! :confused:

I've read about her...

Well, witchcraft was an unusual crime. Therefore tortures continued until recognition...
>>>> Yes, as a crimen exceptum witchcraft was treated differently than more common or petty crimes. The harsher rules allowed for torture to be used with less evidence and applied more severely. And to be accused as a witch would allow the legal system to give less consideration to higher social status which in lesser crimes would have prevented prosecution. The example of Rebecca Lemp is a good example of this leveling process. The Lemp's were counted among the urban bourgeoisie and as such would have been accorded much deference in their normal life. But as Ducans shows with such exactitude in her sketch a woman of Rebecca Lemp's standing still didn't escape being displayed naked before the officials in the torture chamber as well as witnesses brought in to confront her face to face, people who knew here everyday in her life. And as the captions show,as she is mortified with shame, the figure standing behind the judges who I take it is the torturer is thinking about what a nice ass she has, a man who earlier had shaved off all of her hair, with special attention to the hair between her legs.

It is said the Spanish Inquisition targeted more wealthy people, since they had more goods to get confiscated.
>>>> I'm a lot more familiar with the history in the Germanic principalities, France, etc. but it is certainly true that witch hunting became very quickly a racket of significant proportions. Witch panics usually started with accusations against the poorest of the poor, but they soon typically spread into the higher social orders. Even fairly well to do people could lose all of their property in those jurisdictions where the local government had the right to confiscate the property of a witch on the grounds that what they had was the result of ill gotten gains. Critics of the witch hunt such as Meyfarth or Father Spee emphasized how witch hunting was a money making machine. And even in those cases where the accused managed to escape capital punishment, usually after undergoing torture without confession, the costs were often ruinous. Court officials of all kinds, jailers, torturers, etc. were usually paid exorbitantly for their services. A case that could be cited as an example would be that of Chatrina Blanckenstein, an accused witch living near Naumburg in Thuringia, whose cost for 4 months imprisonment, a single torture and an examination after shaving by the executioner came to 70 thalers, a small fortune for the time.

gabriel inquisition 200-01-.jpg

"There must be a part of your body which is insentive to pain. That's where Lucifer entered to corrupt your soul."

That's a nice theory, but I'd rather you didn't test it. :confused:
>>>>> I guess it was just as obvious then as it would be now as to where the witch finders were the most interested to find insensitive spots and other tokens of the Devil in their examination of the bodies of the suspects. Which makes it all the more ironic, that in the numerous law manuals and other guides for the authorities written and published at the time, that the usual term used was "the secret parts not to be named."

Back
Top Bottom