The Official At The Embassy

Go to CruxDreams.com

King Diocletian

Magistrate
I will, I promise, get back to poor Juliette and Liberty soonish. But for now...

To be honest, we hadn’t been that worried when the coup happened. We weren’t even sure it had been a coup and we made sure never to describe it as such in any official embassy document: no point antagonising the new regime. We weren’t entirely clear who the new government was – a cousin of the outgoing president, given the tacit support of a couple of ageing generals and senior religious figures. We’d seen this before, not just in the Republic, but across the region. And, of course, they invoked their god to justify the takeover, promising a more stringent interpretation of the religious regulations. But they always did that.

The first we realised that this might be a little different was when we received an official communiqué from the Ministry of Justice demanding we present Sarah Fleming for trial. Sarah Fleming was a teacher who’d been charged about six months ago with what they termed “seditious blasphemy” for a couple of blog posts she’d written.

It was nothing especially inflammatory, but she had been mildly critical of some of the restrictions placed upon women in the Republic. They hadn’t even arrested her: they’d just got in touch with us at the Embassy and we’d had to take her to be interviewed by the religious police. For hours we’d sat in a stuffy room while a couple of bearded men asked her questions that seemed broadly pointless. It was all very boring, or it would have been if Sarah weren’t so attractive.

She was 27 when she was charged, a slender girl with shoulder-length brown hair. She was probably above average height, but there was a fragility about her, and she had the loveliest deep brown eyes and an infectious giggle. Not that she giggled then. She seemed worried but calm, her obvious intelligence seeming to persuade them that there was nothing to pursue. She’d already deleted the blog and she agreed not to stray onto controversial matters again. She came into the embassy a couple of times after that for reasons of mundane bureaucracy, and we started to invite her to the occasional function. There’s precious little female company in the Republic – you really can’t count Margaret, the office manager, who may technically be female but is a lump of unyielding and highly efficient Scottish granite – and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who liked having her around. Not that any of us got anywhere. Although why would she have looked at me, a dry man in his early forties trapped in a desperately dull marriage to an almost faultless woman?

It seemed that everything had blown over, although the charge hadn’t formally been dropped. And then barely a fortnight after the new regime had taken over, the case had been reactivated. I called her, delighting in her clear, educated voice. I explained the situation and arranged for her to come in. We still didn’t realise how serious it was. I think we all believed it would pass over as it had before.

But the closer it got to the trial, the more it became apparent that they weren’t going to drop it. We had to report to the court at 10am on a Wednesday morning. We tried to get more information, tried to find out what format the trial would take, tried to discover who the judge would be, what witnesses would be produced, what we could do to defend her, but everything was frustratingly vague. Even Margaret struggled for details.

Sarah arrived at the embassy at eight that morning, dressed demurely in a long navy skirt and white blouse. She showed clear signs of strain, her face tired and drawn. We tried to reassure her, but the truth was we had no idea what was going on.

I will, I promise, get back to poor Juliette and Liberty soonish. But for now...

To be honest, we hadn’t been that worried when the coup happened. We weren’t even sure it had been a coup and we made sure never to describe it as such in any official embassy document: no point antagonising the new regime. We weren’t entirely clear who the new government was – a cousin of the outgoing president, given the tacit support of a couple of ageing generals and senior religious figures. We’d seen this before, not just in the Republic, but across the region. And, of course, they invoked their god to justify the takeover, promising a more stringent interpretation of the religious regulations. But they always did that.

The first we realised that this might be a little different was when we received an official communiqué from the Ministry of Justice demanding we present Sarah Fleming for trial. Sarah Fleming was a teacher who’d been charged about six months ago with what they termed “seditious blasphemy” for a couple of blog posts she’d written.

It was nothing especially inflammatory, but she had been mildly critical of some of the restrictions placed upon women in the Republic. They hadn’t even arrested her: they’d just got in touch with us at the Embassy and we’d had to take her to be interviewed by the religious police. For hours we’d sat in a stuffy room while a couple of bearded men asked her questions that seemed broadly pointless. It was all very boring, or it would have been if Sarah weren’t so attractive.

She was 27 when she was charged, a slender girl with shoulder-length brown hair. She was probably above average height, but there was a fragility about her, and she had the loveliest deep brown eyes and an infectious giggle. Not that she giggled then. She seemed worried but calm, her obvious intelligence seeming to persuade them that there was nothing to pursue. She’d already deleted the blog and she agreed not to stray onto controversial matters again. She came into the embassy a couple of times after that for reasons of mundane bureaucracy, and we started to invite her to the occasional function. There’s precious little female company in the Republic – you really can’t count Margaret, the office manager, who may technically be female but is a lump of unyielding and highly efficient Scottish granite – and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who liked having her around. Not that any of us got anywhere. Although why would she have looked at me, a dry man in his early forties trapped in a desperately dull marriage to an almost faultless woman?

It seemed that everything had blown over, although the charge hadn’t formally been dropped. And then barely a fortnight after the new regime had taken over, the case had been reactivated. I called her, delighting in her clear, educated voice. I explained the situation and arranged for her to come in. We still didn’t realise how serious it was. I think we all believed it would pass over as it had before.

But the closer it got to the trial, the more it became apparent that they weren’t going to drop it. We had to report to the court at 10am on a Wednesday morning. We tried to get more information, tried to find out what format the trial would take, tried to discover who the judge would be, what witnesses would be produced, what we could do to defend her, but everything was frustratingly vague. Even Margaret struggled for details.

Sarah arrived at the embassy at eight that morning, dressed demurely in a long navy skirt and white blouse. She showed clear signs of strain, her face tired and drawn. We tried to reassure her, but the truth was we had no idea what was going on.

May I be the first to congratulate you on an intriguing opening? I can't wait to find out more.

A promising start, KD. I look forward to the trial!

Margaret, the office manager, who may technically be female but is a lump of unyielding and highly efficient Scottish granite – and I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who liked having her around.
One better does not quarrel with Margaret!:eek:

The trial was a farce. We went in to a small, dusty room where a short man in a fraying open-necked shirt sat behind a desk. He looked exhausted, his eyes red and his thinning hair brittle. There must have been 20 soldiers in there as well as half a dozen priests. The whole thing lasted no more than 10 minutes. He looked at her with evident disdain and spoke slowly. Firstly, he explained in the local language that he would be making a statement in English, then, rubbing his silver stubble with his hand, he addressed her directly.

“Sarah Fleming,” he said. “I have considered your case carefully. I have read your blogs. Just because they have been deleted does not mitigate the offence. You are guilty before God of seditious blasphemy.” That was it. There was no trial at all, no calling of witnesses, no examination of evidence, just this tired man making a judgement. Her eyes widened in horror but she remained silent, standing with her hands clasped in front of her. Her hands, I reflected, were as beautiful as the rest of her, the fingers long and smooth, her wrists slender, a freckle showing just below the sleeve on her right arm.

He went on, his tone flat. There was no sense of ceremony. “As you are a British subject, there seems little benefit for either party in issuing a custodial sentence. You will pay costs to be determined at a later hearing and will leave the Republic by the end of the month. You are not to return within 10 years.” At that moment, my feeling was one of relief: effectively a fine and deportation. It was a shame we wouldn’t see her around for much longer, but from a diplomatic point of view this was a relatively simple solution. But he went on.

“However, there must be an element of punishment, both to satisfy God’s law and so that you may properly contemplate the consequences of your crime.” Sarah bit her lower lip, her face frozen in fear. I think we both knew what he meant. “You are sentenced to be flogged. The number of lashes to be determined at a later hearing.”

Immediately I lodged an appeal. There was a discussion and we were asked to wait in a small anteroom. Sarah seemed stunned. She just sat on a hard chair staring at the floor. “What does it mean?” she asked, but we didn’t know. Eventually we were asked back in. We were asked to guarantee a bond and to hold her at the embassy until a hearing the following Wednesday when a final decision would be made.

We responded in the way the embassy always responded. We had a meeting. We did everything we could have done. The ambassador applied what political pressure he could. We sent our legal expert to see exactly what an appeal meant. We tried to find out what being flogged actually meant in practice. Margaret went to the archives.

They were courteous. Unless her appeal were accepted, she would be lashed with a cane in a yard behind the prison at 10am on Sunday. Further details were vague: nobody quite seemed to know how the new regime administered floggings. Precedent suggested she would get between ten and twenty lashes, maybe fewer as she was a woman. They could not have been more polite or helpful – up to point at which we asked for clear information.

Sarah herself was in a terrible state. It had been easy enough to prepare a room for her and to collect clothes and toiletries from her flat, but she was terrified. Margaret’s briskness perhaps didn’t help. Sarah paced her room, barely ate, barely slept. She asked dozens of questions and to most of them we didn’t have an answer. I confess I enjoyed those meetings: her beauty, her fear, her need of me.

I went to see a contact in the Justice Ministry on the Monday. Let’s just call him Mr Aziz, although that is not his real name. He at least didn’t speak in riddles. He explained that an appeal was unlikely to succeed: the verdict was the word of God. I put or case, that it would be difficult for Her Majesty’s Government to deal with a government that had flogged one its subjects. He pointed out she was guilty – and I acknowledged reluctantly that he was right. We arranged to meet again the following day.

I spoke with Sarah again that evening. She looked exhausted but that seemed to accentuate her prettiness. How could you flog her? I thought of her cowering before soldiers wielding canes, then blinked the image away. It was disgusting. Appalling.

Were the lashes delivered to the backs or the buttocks of prisoners? I resolved to ask Aziz. And what did a prisoner wear to be beaten?

I liked Aziz. He was straightforward and direct. The sentence was a sentence from God: it could not be changed. She was guilty and had to be punished. But he understood the British government’s concern. He would speak to the religious authorities. I asked him about details. Male prisoners were usually stripped to the waist for punishment, he explained. The cane was applied to the back. But there were exceptions. And who knew how a woman may be treated?

I grimly asked about what happened after that. Was that it? Would she be free to go? It was complicated, he explained. They would let us hold her under house arrest but after that there would have to be another hearing to ensure she had been punished sufficiently. A formality, he assured me, and then she would be deported.

I went back and met Sarah. I held her hand and explained the situation. Her fingers were deliciously cool. She seemed resigned to her fate. I kept reassuring her, watching as she brushed a strand of hair from her forehead, and realised I was thinking of her stripping, taking off a prison smock, terrified as she waited to be lashed. I dismissed the thought and squeezed her hand. She smiled at me, bravely. “Thank you,” she said.

“I’ll have one more go first thing tomorrow,” I said but I held out little hope.

I don't know if this story is in any way based on the following news story (if so you write quickly), which caught my attention recently https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/world/africa/zimbabwe-mugabe-martha-odonovan.html?_r=0

What effect today's coup in Zimbabwe will have on this case is difficult to say. I suspect it will be resolved short of any of the measures that may appear in your story...

Ah, no - it wasn't. This was a story I began months, maybe years, ago, and dug out again when struggling to get going on the end of Liberty. I don't remember the initial inspiration - it may have been Raif Badawi. I'd run aground with it then, but a slight tweak to the narrator and suddenly it seemed to work.

And certainly Sarah wouldn't be turning up in court in jeans.

That night I kept thinking of her. Naked, sobbing. Screaming as grim-faced soldiers beat her. Her slender torso wracked by pain, slim back streaked with welts. It was awful. The poor, poor girl. I slept badly, tossing and turning, sweating so much I had to change my pyjama top. “Are you thinking about Miss Fleming?” my wife asked. I nodded. “You’ve done all you can,” she said.

I hadn’t, of course. We could have just kept her at the embassy. That would have been the easy way out. But that was never our policy. Once embassies start holding fugitives it’s the thin end of the wedge. We all know that. And besides, this was a government we had to work with. We didn’t want to start provoking anti-British sentiment. Oil, at the end of the day, will always weigh more heavily than a single naïve girl. Even the papers seemed to understand that. They’d been swarming around but Philip had dealt with them. The ambassador would probably have to make a statement later.

I met Aziz at 8. Philip would bring Sarah to the court for 10 with Margaret. Even Sarah seemed to understand she couldn’t just seek sanctuary in the embassy. There’d have been mobs at the gate. No, this had to be a decision of their courts. I just hoped they made the right one.

Aziz shook my hand and poured a glass of tea. “I have good news,” he said.

“Oh?” I replied.

“They will let her off with a fine. A big fine. £250,000. But no flogging.”

To my surprise, I felt my heart fall. It must have shown in my face. “You can afford this, surely?” Aziz said.

I nodded. “I wonder, though…” My mouth was moving ahead of my thoughts. “I wonder, though, if she doesn’t deserve to be flogged.” I wanted to see her naked. I wanted to see her caned. The realisation was shocking. I sipped at the tea to cover my emotions. My hand shook a little. “I would hate to alienate the religious lobby.”

Aziz raised an eyebrow. “That is an important consideration,” he said, suavely.

I asked about procedure. What would happen if the sentence were upheld that morning? She would be held in the jail until Sunday, Aziz explained. I tried to understand what that meant. “You would search her?”

“Oh yes,” he said. “Quite thoroughly. Then she would be given her prison uniform and we’d hold her in an individual cell until her punishment.”

“Perhaps it would be prudent if the embassy sent an observer?”

“I think that would be a sensible precaution.”

“Perhaps it would be prudent if the embassy sent an observer?”

So few perks working for the government, you have to take what you can. She will be very grateful if you say her sentance has been reduced by your efforts and she'll need a lot of 'comforting' after a flogging.

Yes, it wouldn't be prudent to just hand over a quarter-million, thin end of the wedge,
they'll grab any other of our countrymen and - especially - women, and keep upping the ante.

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;
spacer.jpg
But we've proved it again and again,
That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld
spacer.jpg
You never get rid of the Dane.

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,
spacer.jpg
For fear they should succumb and go astray;
So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,
spacer.jpg
You will find it better policy to say: --

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,
spacer.jpg
No matter how trifling the cost;
For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
spacer.jpg
And the nation that plays it is lost!" (Kipling)

Sarah's an intelligent adult, she knew the risks,
even if she isn't ' a lump of unyielding and highly efficient Scottish granite' (watch it Doc! smiley-flag006.gif) -
I think she may have the strength of character to cope with what's coming ;)

Good story KD, indeed topical today, but it has been all too often in recent years.

"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute" was the response of Congressman Robert Goodloe Harper in 1798 in response to French demands for payment to avoid an attack at the time when the Federalists under John Adams sided with Britain against France. The rallying cry was used a few years later to support the war against the Barbary Pirates, to who the US had paid tribute to avoid attacks. I think there was a story about that recently:D

I was waiting for her when she arrived in the courtroom. God, she was beautiful. I looked calmly into her dark eyes. “I’m sorry,” I said. “I did what I could.”

She pressed her lips together and nodded.

It was over extremely quickly. The short man in the fraying shirt confirmed that she was guilty of seditious blasphemy. “The sentence is flogging, number of lashes to be set at a hearing on Friday.”

He gave an order in the local language and four soldiers approached her. She gave a yelp of fear as they pulled her to her feet, cuffing her delicate wrists behind her. As they hustled her away she gave a desperate glance over her shoulder. “Please…” she called. I hurried to my feet and followed, gesturing behind me to Philip to stay where he was.

I pushed past a couple of soldiers and through the door at the back of the court where Sarah had just been hustled. Aziz was waiting. “Calm,” he said. “You’ll miss nothing.” I could see her being led away, hear shouts and curses, the noise of her being jostled. I thought about following, but Aziz put a hand on my arm. “This way,” he said.

He stopped for more tea, and led me onto a gallery. Down below, to the left as we looked, I could see a desk, behind which stood a chair, then a few filing cabinets and some large cupboards. It was stuffy and smelt of stale tobacco, the walls grimy, the paint peeling, the only light a couple of dim bulbs. After a couple of minutes a plump man in a sergeant’s outfit wandered in carrying a file and sat behind the desk. He yawned and flicked through the file, then lit up a cigarette.

The door to the right of the room opened and Sarah was led in. She looked petrified, almost having to be dragged to stand perhaps ten feet in front of the desk. The soldiers uncuffed her hands and stepped back. There were a dozen of them in total in the room, plus the sergeant. She looked at him, chewing her lower lip, her right hand rubbing her left wrist. I wondered if she would see me if she looked up, but I thought the angle was probably in my favour.

“Sarah Fleming?” the sergeant said, stubbing his cigarette lazily into an ash tray.

“Yes,” she whispered. “Yes, sir.”

The sergeant sat forward, making no attempt to hide his interest. There was no ceremony, no explanation. This was it, I realised. “Strip,” he said.

Sarah wasn’t stupid. She must have realised that was likely. But she stood as though stunned, looked at the concrete floor. “Please…” she said.

The sergeant slammed his hand on the desk so hard I flinched. “Take. Your. Clothes. Off. Now,” he shouted. She visibly trembled as she kicked off her sandals. I realised I was holding my breath. Her hands went to the tie that held up her skirt. She fumbled, but eventually the bow came loose and the skirt slid down to pool at her feet, revealing her slender legs. She stared at the ground, hands shaking as she tried to unfasten the buttons of her blouse.

“Come on!” the sergeant shouted and I heard her whimper. But his anger, of course just made her more terrified and she struggled even more. Eventually she got the buttons undone and she peeled the cloth back. She held the shirt in front of her momentarily and then dropped it to stand half-naked, lovely shoulders bowed. She had a large freckle, I saw in the centre of her back, right on the spine below the pale bra strap.

She hesitated, hoping beyond hope there may be some respite. There wasn’t. She fiddled with the clasp of her bra and then it too came off. Quickly she threw it down and clasped her hands over her breasts. Her thighs pressed together. The sergeant sighed and gestured and a soldier prodded her with a truncheon. The contrast between her soft delicacy and the hard brutality couldn’t have been more stark. With an anxious glance at the soldier who had jabbed her, she slid her panties off and stood naked, racked with humiliation, hugging herself, not knowing which way to turn, a slight pathetic figure in the gloom.

Another soldier stepped forward and slapped her, hard, across the buttocks. She shouted and lurched towards the desk. Other soldiers materialised around her, pulling her hands away, revealing her nudity in all its glory.

A soldier hastened forward and gathered up her clothes. “Stand up straight,” the sergeant ordered. “Hands clasped together behind your neck.”

Slowly, she obeyed. I drank in her fragile pale body, the neatly trimmed strip of pubic hair, the flat belly, the impossibly delicate breasts, now utterly exposed, the soft brown hair falling to her shoulders. She seemed impossibly small and vulnerable in that place, naked and helpless, surrounded by soldiers with truncheons. The sergeant stood up and walked towards her. He circled her, making no attempt to disguise his assessment of her body. He said something in the local language and there was laughter. He pulled a pair of gloves from his pocket and snapped them on, then began his search.

He was meticulous. He began with her hair, then her eyes her ears, her nose, her mouth, poking and prodding, making jokes about her. He stretched her arms out and checked her nails, her fingers. He moved down. To her armpits then her breasts, lifting and squeezing. Sarah closed her eyes and gritted her teeth, her shame clear. He ran his fingers through her pubic hair. He worked down her legs and her toes.

He placed a hand in the middle of her back, over that freckle. “Bend over,” he said. “Hold your ankles.” She obeyed, her lightly curled hair falling over her face. What a sight she was, her slender, supple body exposed like that. I knew Aziz was watching me but I couldn’t take my eyes off her. The sergeant caressed her crack teasingly then rammed his finger into her anus. She yelped in pain and staggered forward. “Stand still!” he shouted, and as she sobbed he resumed his probing, pushing deep, taking his time.

He made her stand up again and walked in front of her. “Legs apart!” She shuffled till her feet were shoulder-width apart, oddly clumsy on the concrete with her hands back behind her neck. He lay his hand over her mound, standing close. “Eyes open,” he said, then his fingers began toying with her before her pushed into her most intimate parts. “Please…” I heard her whisper, but he kept going. The sergeant said something and all the soldiers laughed. How long was he inside her? I don’t know. Thirty seconds? A minute? Far longer than was necessary anyway.

The sergeant stepped back. He looked her up and down. “Squat,” he said. She looked surprised but obeyed. “Jump,” he said. “Nice and high, star jump.” I thought for a moment she was going to resist but then she did. It was half-hearted but still I saw her little breasts quiver. “Down.” She squatted. “Up. Higher.” She obeyed. “Down. Up. Down. Up.” Six times he made her leap. She flushed with shame. “Bend over,” he said, and searched her again.

As Aziz had promised, they had been very thorough.

I hope story will go quickly to verdict and punishment;). KD likes write to much about prison humilation which I don't like (like in Liberty) and I'm afraid this story will comes to this kind of plot too.

Back
Top Bottom