The Slave Market

Go to CruxDreams.com
A mixed lesson - Hadrian decided trying to conquer the north wasn't worth the effort, so built his wall in the 120s
20 years later Antoninus Pius reckoned the Caledonii north of the Forth-Clyde line were the real trouble,
and a wall was need to keep them out - us in the Northern Forest and the rest of the hill country in between
weren't too difficult to manage - with a judicious mixture of sticks, carrots and linkie-hunting :devil:
But Antoninus (who never visited Britannia) hadn't got much intelligence (in any sense)
and it was a bit of an embarrassment, the troops soon pulled back to Hadrian's much bigger and better and beautiful wall.
In 208 Septimius Severus had another go at re-fortifying what was left of Antoninus's embankment (which is really what it was),
and invaded the north again, but had to pull out because the Parthians were threatening the other end of the Empire.
So the Antonine Wall was on the whole a bit of a failure - but Hadrian's one was actually pretty successful for 300 years.

Wonder how much the Romans missed the linkie-hunting after withdrawing behind Hadrian's.:rolleyes:

Wonder how much the Romans missed the linkie-hunting after withdrawing behind Hadrian's.:rolleyes:
I think they came on hunting parties like sheikhs and suchlike come grouse shooting these days :devil:
(but linkies don't grouse, unlike some I could mention :p)

Bet you would grouse plenty if some septagenarian old Roman geezer caught you.
"Can I no ha' that sexy young sojer o'er yon" or words to that effect.
My ancient Celtic is not so good, no doubt you can put me right.
Aye, but the grammar is good. It's the sassenachs who say "Can't I have...", while "Can I no (or "not" for the poncier among us) have..." is more Scottish.
Not sure how to translate "sexy", but you are right it doesn't quite work. "Bonnie" doesn't really do it. Maybe "that wee brammer o' a sodger"?

Aye, gien sae mony words fur haein sex, sic as houghmagandie, it's surpreesin gin we haen't ane fur 'sexy'.
'Braw' is the uisual word fur a guid-luikin laddie, an 'brammer's' guid. 'Yeukit' wud mean he's hornie. ;) :devil:

That, of course, is Lallans. The 'Celtic', i.e. Gaelic would be something like
'Nach faod mi a saighdear òg eireachdail thall an siud?'
But again my douce dictionaries dinna hae terms for 'sexy',
eireachdail is politely 'good-looking'.

Last edited:
Aye, gien sae mony words fur haein sex, sic as houghmagandie, it's surpreesin gin we haen't ane fur 'sexy'.
'Braw' is the uisual word fur a guid-luikin laddie, an 'brammer's' guid. 'Yeukit' wud mean he's hornie. ;) :devil:

Aye, weel, a wee touch o the politeness has helped me intae a few baeds. :cool::devil:

all slaves to be branded before each sale

tumblr_mngj8aOS0v1s9cshlo1_1280.jpg

It's said Gaelic has 27 different words for "love" and no word for "no".
This used to worry me. "What," I asked a friend born in the Islands, "would you say if someone asked 'Do you want a punch on the nose?'" "Well," she said, "I'd probably say 'Shall we have another drink?'"
What I don't understand is how a language like that could once have almost died out for lack of speakers.

I'm sure no misuse was intended. It says Lexarts on the pic and as RR points out it is hosted on Tumblr.

Wait a second. This is my art... And you should ask me, at least

Have no clue who you are, have no clue that you sign your name as Lex Art, plus I have taken it from a blog which allows re-posting. If I knew the answers to the above, or the blog did not encourage re-posting I would not have posted it.

I am reasonable well educated and can tell Picasso apart from Dali, but I am sorry, I am not educated enough to realize that somebody named Hasturan is also LexArt, but I will assure you if I'll find a picture with those names again I will not re-post them.

You should examine this site http://slaveryart.tumblr.com/
... and have your stuff removed by sending him a proper DMCA notice...

Last edited:
The pic that BB found is called "Brittany ordeal" and is one of something like 167 pictures that can be found on DeviantArt by Hasturan where he has a good following. Here is a previous one from the same set.
brittany_ordeal_55_by_hasturan-db3ia5s.jpg
It is very simple to join DA. All you need is an email address and they won't pester you. If you do download any pics I'm sure the artists would appreciate a comment.

Back
Top Bottom