Thessela's Downfall

Go to CruxDreams.com

Jollyrei

Angelus Mortis
Staff member
A story of a young woman, sold into slavery, swept along by fickle fate. Many thanks to Thessala for agreeing to be my muse for this story. Thessela, this is for you. I hope I do it justice. :)

Thessela's Downfall

Part 1: Sold into Slavery:

It was a pleasant warm day in Corinth. Four men and three women, were chained together with slave collars around their necks, led by a large slave trader. He was a fat jolly Phoenician who smiled as he walked through the city, holding the lead of the chain to which his 7 slaves were attached. He was picky about his “merchandise” and his slaves were well trained and well treated. He prided himself that a customer could usually get a slave without whip marks or other blemishes if they bought from him. Those who bought girls for their houses, either as caretakers for the children or for more personal reasons appreciated little details like that. His clients were among the more discerning, meaning rich. His slaves fetched good prices, and he had a reputation that kept his prices high.

The Phoenician and his two assistants bantered jovially to the slaves as they moved through the market. “Good city, Corinth,” he said. “Lots of decent people. You’ll all get good owners, I’m sure.” He smiled at the seven slaves, his eyes moving down the row, pausing only when he came to the end of the line. A slim, dark haired girl with big eyes. She looked a bit frightened, he thought. Well, she was new to this. The others had been through the markets before. This last girl, she seemed young enough, likely in her twenties, had been born free. Romans had conquered her country, or her parents had fallen on hard times, or something else had happened. Lots of ways to fall into slavery in the provinces. She didn’t talk much. She seemed shy.

Never mind, he thought. She’s pretty, clear skinned, with nice pert round breasts and a good figure. She’ll fetch a decent price as a maid or personal slave. He had anticipated that eventuality. He still got aroused thinking how she had blushed when he had first examined her. She had trembled and stared at the floor as he had looked her over appreciatively. Lucky he was good at keeping his rod under his tunic when necessary, he thought. Don't get involved with the merchandise.

The girl was named Thessela. Until age 15, she had lived with her parents in a village some miles south of Rome. They had not been rich, but they were freemen. Her father had been a farmer. It was not a large farm but there was a pleasant house, a garden and always enough to eat. Then there was the plague, a horrible fever that killed her father, mother, her older sister, and younger brother. She was suddenly alone. The only relative was her uncle, her father’s hated brother, who inherited the farm, and her. He had wanted the land. For a number of years he treated her as a slave, making her keep house for him in the home she had shared once with her family. She had nowhere else to go, so she stayed.

Then one day her uncle had been uncharacteristically jovial and said he had a special surprise for her. He would take her to the market. He waited while she dressed in her cleanest dress. Then he took her arm and they walked down the road to the market in the village, a few miles from the farm. He had bought her a fresh plum, purple fat and ripe, and she had smiled at him for the first time in months as she thanked him for it. It felt nice to be treated well.

Of course, it was too good to be true. Her uncle steered her toward the far end of the market square and they arrived at a warehouse building with a porch. That was where she first saw the jolly fat Phoenician. Her uncle, her own flesh and blood, started telling a story of his hardship, and how he had kept her after the death of her family, but could not afford to do so anymore. Thessela realized he was talking about her. She felt her world crumble around her, as her uncle said that, sad as it was for him to consider it, he was forced to desperate solutions to save his own family. The Phoenician listened and then asked about her past life.

"She's a good, decent, obedient girl," said her uncle, and went on to describe how she worked hard, and didn't go out much. That seemed to please the Phoenician and he added a few coins to a purse he was holding. "She'll make a fine house or body slave," said her uncle.

Thessela was mortified. She couldn’t speak. She was vaguely aware of her uncle and the Phoenician discussing her and what price she would fetch. She wanted to scream, but she felt frozen, overwhelmed by how quickly her formerly secure life had disappeared. She wondered if it was possible to go back in time, even a half hour to where she had a plum, and just stop there. She looked up, and the Phoenician was passing a purse of money to her uncle.

“There,” her uncle said. “You’re a slave now, girl. You belong to this man. Be good.” And he turned to leave.

“No,” she almost whispered. “Why are you doing this. I want to go home. Don’t do this please.”

But her uncle, looking slightly uncomfortable, just turned and walked away, leaving Thessela standing with tears running down her cheeks.

“There, there,” said the Phoenician, sounding genuinely sympathetic. “Let’s not cry. You’ll spoil your looks for the show. It’s not so bad. Come with me. We need to see what you’re all about anyway. Then you can have some food, and we’ll see about finding you a master.” He led the crying girl into the building.

That had been a few weeks ago. There had been a sea voyage where she had been sick. She had found her sea legs after a day or two and had then spent part of the voyage helping “keep house” for the Phoenician. He seemed genuinely fond of her, and keeping his small cabin cleaned was no big problem. She began to think she might almost get used to life as a slave. She knew many slaves had lives worse than this, but also knew her current situation was only temporary.

“I will be sorry to sell you,” he said, “but unfortunately I do not really need a young slave girl, and I can not afford too many indulgences. I will be sad to see you go."

Thessela felt a thrill of apprehension at the prospect of having her pleasant duties on the ship end, and the unknown future of enslavement to a new master in a strange new place. It must have shown on her face, because the Phoenician said: "Cheer up, girl! We still have a few days before the big market. ”

That brought it to today in Corinth, with seven slaves newly off the trading ship, chained together, walking from the wharf to market in the early morning air.

Corinth was a rich city, a centre of religion and learning. There were libraries and temples, pleasant looking well constructed houses. There lots of ships in the port and merchants were everywhere, with slaves carrying all manner of goods from across the Empire. There were also quite a few slave traders coming to the Corinthian slave market. The Phoenician was going to sell only his best slaves here, he said. Top wares for top price. That was the seven of them, Thessela thought as she walked at the end of the row, chained to the man in front of her. He was a muscular athletic type, blonde haired. She guessed he was from some northern province. She had heard of Gaul. Perhaps he was from there. He like the other three male slaves was dressed in leather shorts that did not hide the contours of his buttocks or the bulge at the front. She blushed as she realized where she was staring. The other male slaves were similarly muscular and attractive, all fitting the dark haired, olive skinned Mediterranean profile.

She found the chain and slave collar chafing. The Phoenician had attached it almost apologetically. Customs, he said. Had to follow protocols. At least the Phoenician's slaves were clothed. She had seen some Nubian slave women being moved to market wearing only loincloths. She and the other two slave girls were dressed in simple fresh knee length white dresses. Of the two other women, one might have been her age or perhaps older. She looked like walking to market did not bother her at all. The other was a girl hardly out of her teens. She was trying to look brave, but kept looking around wide-eyed.

"She looks like I feel," thought Thessela. "Afraid and nervous." That was part of it. She had never been sold in a market. It felt like her future was completely uncertain, but that opportunities were also possible. To keep her mind off her nervousness, she tried taking an interest in the city around her.

They moved at a reasonable but leisurely pace. Corinth was a clean, well constructed city. There were a lot of impressive Roman buildings. She was surprised to see that, especially the ornate temples, this far from what she had thought was the centre of the Empire. Then she felt silly. She had never been to Rome either, even though she had been born within a day’s chariot ride of the greatest city on earth. Still, she appreciated the apparent opulence of the city.

Finally the cobbled streets opened out into a large square or forum. At the north end of the square was the obligatory temple, with its massive columns, built in the Greek style. At the south end was the street from which they had just arrived. The west side of the square was already filling up with farm vendors, fishmongers, and other small food sellers. The east side of the square was ranged with colourful tent pavilions, each of which had a platform erected in front of it. This was the weekly Corinthian slave market.

The Phoenician and his two assistants directed their 7 slaves toward a larger red and yellow pavilion. This was their stall for the day. Thessela wondered how long it took to sell seven people. She was suddenly anxious again at the thought of being sold. How is it done? Do they just like what they see and pay? Do you have to say anything. What do you say to someone trying to buy you?

"Okay, here we are," said the Phoenician cheerfully. "Up you get." And the assistants directed the seven slaves onto the platform in front of the pavilion. "Give them something to eat, and let them relax for a few minutes," said the Phoenician. "We've got a little time before the slave market officially opens. I need to see someone. I'll be back shortly." And he disappeared into the pavilion.

The assistants unchained the seven slaves and let them relax on the platform. One of them brought out some food and some water. Thessela sat on the floor of the platform with the other slaves and ate a hunk of bread with cheese and some grapes. The three dark haired men and one of the women seemed happy just to sit quietly, but the blonde man wanted to chat.

"Have you ever been to market before," the big blonde slave was asking the youngest slave girl.

"No, never," said the girl. "Will it be okay?"

"It is never okay to sell people," said the blonde man grimly. "We must make the best of it. Try to be cheerful." He smiled at the girl. Then he turned to Thessela.

"You are also new to this I think," he said. "You look...maybe not afraid, but not comfortable."

"No," said Thessela quietly. "Not comfortable. I suppose I will have to become comfortable with many new things."

"I have had good masters, bad masters, and no masters," said the blonde man. "I think if you see someone who wants to buy slaves, and he looks kind, you should sell yourself."

"Sell myself?" asked Thessela. She wasn't sure what she thought of that.

"Yes," he said. "Smile, be cheerful, act like you want to work for him. It is an act, but it may get you into a good house. You need to prepare yourself before the market opens."

"Thank you for your advice," said Thessela sincerely. "I hope I do end up with kind owners." She paused. "I am Thessela," she said shyly dropping her eyes to the floor of the platform.

"Rolf is my name," said the blonde man. "I will also hope you find a good place." Thessela looked up hesitantly to find him smiling at her. She smiled back.

"How did you become a slave?" asked Thessela.

"I am maybe not a good enough warrior," said Rolf wryly. "I was captured while sleeping in my home village." His voice dropped. "Perhaps someday I will go back, but we must not speak of this here."

A few minutes later the fat Phoenician returned to the platform. Then from somewhere down the row of slave pavilions a trumpet sounded a long note, and the market opened. A man in a white toga, trimmed with purple stepped forward and announced the start of slave trading for the day. He read a listing of the various traders who were selling that day, and then finished with a statement to the slaves.

"Be cheerful. Be willing to work. Be honest and virtuous slaves. This is the path to a happy life. If you support and care for your masters, they will care for you. If you betray your masters, punishment will be swift and certain."

Thessela felt chilled by the words, and saw the younger slave girl was also looking a bit alarmed.

"Don't worry about it," murmured the Phoenician. "They always say that. They had a small slave uprising here a few years ago. All finished now. The speech is really just a formality. Look lively now! Here come our first customers."

And with that, Thessela started her day as prime merchandise.

(to be continued...)

A story of a young woman, sold into slavery, swept along by fickle fate. Many thanks to Thessala for agreeing to be my muse for this story. Thessela, this is for you. I hope I do it justice. :)

Thessela's Downfall

Part 1: Sold into Slavery:

It was a pleasant warm day in Corinth. Four men and three women, were chained together with slave collars around their necks, led by a large slave trader. He was a fat jolly Phoenician who smiled as he walked through the city, holding the lead of the chain to which his 7 slaves were attached. He was picky about his “merchandise” and his slaves were well trained and well treated. He prided himself that a customer could usually get a slave without whip marks or other blemishes if they bought from him. Those who bought girls for their houses, either as caretakers for the children or for more personal reasons appreciated little details like that. His clients were among the more discerning, meaning rich. His slaves fetched good prices, and he had a reputation that kept his prices high.

The Phoenician and his two assistants bantered jovially to the slaves as they moved through the market. “Good city, Corinth,” he said. “Lots of decent people. You’ll all get good owners, I’m sure.” He smiled at the seven slaves, his eyes moving down the row, pausing only when he came to the end of the line. A slim, dark haired girl with big eyes. She looked a bit frightened, he thought. Well, she was new to this. The others had been through the markets before. This last girl, she seemed young enough, likely in her twenties, had been born free. Romans had conquered her country, or her parents had fallen on hard times, or something else had happened. Lots of ways to fall into slavery in the provinces. She didn’t talk much. She seemed shy.

Never mind, he thought. She’s pretty, clear skinned, with nice pert round breasts and a good figure. She’ll fetch a decent price as a maid or personal slave. He had anticipated that eventuality. He still got aroused thinking how she had blushed when he had first examined her. She had trembled and stared at the floor as he had looked her over appreciatively. Lucky he was good at keeping his rod under his tunic when necessary, he thought. Don't get involved with the merchandise.

The girl was named Thessela. Until age 15, she had lived with her parents in a village some miles south of Rome. They had not been rich, but they were freemen. Her father had been a farmer. It was not a large farm but there was a pleasant house, a garden and always enough to eat. Then there was the plague, a horrible fever that killed her father, mother, her older sister, and younger brother. She was suddenly alone. The only relative was her uncle, her father’s hated brother, who inherited the farm, and her. He had wanted the land. For a number of years he treated her as a slave, making her keep house for him in the home she had shared once with her family. She had nowhere else to go, so she stayed.

Then one day her uncle had been uncharacteristically jovial and said he had a special surprise for her. He would take her to the market. He waited while she dressed in her cleanest dress. Then he took her arm and they walked down the road to the market in the village, a few miles from the farm. He had bought her a fresh plum, purple fat and ripe, and she had smiled at him for the first time in months as she thanked him for it. It felt nice to be treated well.

Of course, it was too good to be true. Her uncle steered her toward the far end of the market square and they arrived at a warehouse building with a porch. That was where she first saw the jolly fat Phoenician. Her uncle, her own flesh and blood, started telling a story of his hardship, and how he had kept her after the death of her family, but could not afford to do so anymore. Thessela realized he was talking about her. She felt her world crumble around her, as her uncle said that, sad as it was for him to consider it, he was forced to desperate solutions to save his own family. The Phoenician listened and then asked about her past life.

"She's a good, decent, obedient girl," said her uncle, and went on to describe how she worked hard, and didn't go out much. That seemed to please the Phoenician and he added a few coins to a purse he was holding. "She'll make a fine house or body slave," said her uncle.

Thessela was mortified. She couldn’t speak. She was vaguely aware of her uncle and the Phoenician discussing her and what price she would fetch. She wanted to scream, but she felt frozen, overwhelmed by how quickly her formerly secure life had disappeared. She wondered if it was possible to go back in time, even a half hour to where she had a plum, and just stop there. She looked up, and the Phoenician was passing a purse of money to her uncle.

“There,” her uncle said. “You’re a slave now, girl. You belong to this man. Be good.” And he turned to leave.

“No,” she almost whispered. “Why are you doing this. I want to go home. Don’t do this please.”

But her uncle, looking slightly uncomfortable, just turned and walked away, leaving Thessela standing with tears running down her cheeks.

“There, there,” said the Phoenician, sounding genuinely sympathetic. “Let’s not cry. You’ll spoil your looks for the show. It’s not so bad. Come with me. We need to see what you’re all about anyway. Then you can have some food, and we’ll see about finding you a master.” He led the crying girl into the building.

That had been a few weeks ago. There had been a sea voyage where she had been sick. She had found her sea legs after a day or two and had then spent part of the voyage helping “keep house” for the Phoenician. He seemed genuinely fond of her, and keeping his small cabin cleaned was no big problem. She began to think she might almost get used to life as a slave. She knew many slaves had lives worse than this, but also knew her current situation was only temporary.

“I will be sorry to sell you,” he said, “but unfortunately I do not really need a young slave girl, and I can not afford too many indulgences. I will be sad to see you go."

Thessela felt a thrill of apprehension at the prospect of having her pleasant duties on the ship end, and the unknown future of enslavement to a new master in a strange new place. It must have shown on her face, because the Phoenician said: "Cheer up, girl! We still have a few days before the big market. ”

That brought it to today in Corinth, with seven slaves newly off the trading ship, chained together, walking from the wharf to market in the early morning air.

Corinth was a rich city, a centre of religion and learning. There were libraries and temples, pleasant looking well constructed houses. There lots of ships in the port and merchants were everywhere, with slaves carrying all manner of goods from across the Empire. There were also quite a few slave traders coming to the Corinthian slave market. The Phoenician was going to sell only his best slaves here, he said. Top wares for top price. That was the seven of them, Thessela thought as she walked at the end of the row, chained to the man in front of her. He was a muscular athletic type, blonde haired. She guessed he was from some northern province. She had heard of Gaul. Perhaps he was from there. He like the other three male slaves was dressed in leather shorts that did not hide the contours of his buttocks or the bulge at the front. She blushed as she realized where she was staring. The other male slaves were similarly muscular and attractive, all fitting the dark haired, olive skinned Mediterranean profile.

She found the chain and slave collar chafing. The Phoenician had attached it almost apologetically. Customs, he said. Had to follow protocols. At least the Phoenician's slaves were clothed. She had seen some Nubian slave women being moved to market wearing only loincloths. She and the other two slave girls were dressed in simple fresh knee length white dresses. Of the two other women, one might have been her age or perhaps older. She looked like walking to market did not bother her at all. The other was a girl hardly out of her teens. She was trying to look brave, but kept looking around wide-eyed.

"She looks like I feel," thought Thessela. "Afraid and nervous." That was part of it. She had never been sold in a market. It felt like her future was completely uncertain, but that opportunities were also possible. To keep her mind off her nervousness, she tried taking an interest in the city around her.

They moved at a reasonable but leisurely pace. Corinth was a clean, well constructed city. There were a lot of impressive Roman buildings. She was surprised to see that, especially the ornate temples, this far from what she had thought was the centre of the Empire. Then she felt silly. She had never been to Rome either, even though she had been born within a day’s chariot ride of the greatest city on earth. Still, she appreciated the apparent opulence of the city.

Finally the cobbled streets opened out into a large square or forum. At the north end of the square was the obligatory temple, with its massive columns, built in the Greek style. At the south end was the street from which they had just arrived. The west side of the square was already filling up with farm vendors, fishmongers, and other small food sellers. The east side of the square was ranged with colourful tent pavilions, each of which had a platform erected in front of it. This was the weekly Corinthian slave market.

The Phoenician and his two assistants directed their 7 slaves toward a larger red and yellow pavilion. This was their stall for the day. Thessela wondered how long it took to sell seven people. She was suddenly anxious again at the thought of being sold. How is it done? Do they just like what they see and pay? Do you have to say anything. What do you say to someone trying to buy you?

"Okay, here we are," said the Phoenician cheerfully. "Up you get." And the assistants directed the seven slaves onto the platform in front of the pavilion. "Give them something to eat, and let them relax for a few minutes," said the Phoenician. "We've got a little time before the slave market officially opens. I need to see someone. I'll be back shortly." And he disappeared into the pavilion.

The assistants unchained the seven slaves and let them relax on the platform. One of them brought out some food and some water. Thessela sat on the floor of the platform with the other slaves and ate a hunk of bread with cheese and some grapes. The three dark haired men and one of the women seemed happy just to sit quietly, but the blonde man wanted to chat.

"Have you ever been to market before," the big blonde slave was asking the youngest slave girl.

"No, never," said the girl. "Will it be okay?"

"It is never okay to sell people," said the blonde man grimly. "We must make the best of it. Try to be cheerful." He smiled at the girl. Then he turned to Thessela.

"You are also new to this I think," he said. "You look...maybe not afraid, but not comfortable."

"No," said Thessela quietly. "Not comfortable. I suppose I will have to become comfortable with many new things."

"I have had good masters, bad masters, and no masters," said the blonde man. "I think if you see someone who wants to buy slaves, and he looks kind, you should sell yourself."

"Sell myself?" asked Thessela. She wasn't sure what she thought of that.

"Yes," he said. "Smile, be cheerful, act like you want to work for him. It is an act, but it may get you into a good house. You need to prepare yourself before the market opens."

"Thank you for your advice," said Thessela sincerely. "I hope I do end up with kind owners." She paused. "I am Thessela," she said shyly dropping her eyes to the floor of the platform.

"Rolf is my name," said the blonde man. "I will also hope you find a good place." Thessela looked up hesitantly to find him smiling at her. She smiled back.

"How did you become a slave?" asked Thessela.

"I am maybe not a good enough warrior," said Rolf wryly. "I was captured while sleeping in my home village." His voice dropped. "Perhaps someday I will go back, but we must not speak of this here."

A few minutes later the fat Phoenician returned to the platform. Then from somewhere down the row of slave pavilions a trumpet sounded a long note, and the market opened. A man in a white toga, trimmed with purple stepped forward and announced the start of slave trading for the day. He read a listing of the various traders who were selling that day, and then finished with a statement to the slaves.

"Be cheerful. Be willing to work. Be honest and virtuous slaves. This is the path to a happy life. If you support and care for your masters, they will care for you. If you betray your masters, punishment will be swift and certain."

Thessela felt chilled by the words, and saw the younger slave girl was also looking a bit alarmed.

"Don't worry about it," murmured the Phoenician. "They always say that. They had a small slave uprising here a few years ago. All finished now. The speech is really just a formality. Look lively now! Here come our first customers."

And with that, Thessela started her day as prime merchandise.

(to be continued...)
Great start to the story Jollyrei. Something tells me that Thessala is in for a surprise:devil:
She should be worried;)

Beware of fat Phoenicians ;)

Oi!
This Phoenician is sleek and fit thank you very much, and aging like a good Falernian. The Mediteranean diet you know.
Phleb.jpg

The one in the story is probably a cousin :D

The title of this story promises good things to come​

Last edited:

Oi!
This Phoenician is sleek and fit thank you very much, and aging like a good Falernian. The Mediteranean diet you know.
View attachment 248437

The one in the story is probably a cousin :D

My dear phlebas, I assure you that I would never mean to cast aspersions on Phoenicians generally.:rolleyes: However, I must call it like I see it. This particular Phoenician is, or was rather, of jovial disposition, and, not to put too fine a point on it, also fat. It is simply descriptive and accurate. Please do not trouble yourself further about it. My best regards to your cousin. :cool::p:D

Great start to the story Jollyrei. Something tells me that Thessala is in for a surprise:devil:
She should be worried;)
I'm not sure she is so much worried as impatient for me to get on with it. ;):rolleyes:

Part 2: The Slave Market

Thessela looked around as customers started coming forward to the various platforms around the slave market pavilions. The neighboring trader was selling only young girls, the youngest of which was about 19, and the oldest probably no more than 25. As she watched, the traders moved down the row of about 10 girls there and pulling the slave shifts off of them, and then re-chaining them to posts fixed to the platform. She couldn't help wondering what it must be like to stand chained and naked, waiting for someone to buy you, someone could do with you whatever he wanted. Part of her, trembling, was imagining herself in that position. She noticed that there were similar short posts, about waist high, built into the rails of her own platform, each equipped with chains and manacles. The Phoenician had not bothered to use them, presumably to show his slaves were higher quality models that did not need such restraint for obedience. The Phoenician's voice brought her back to reality.

"Female slaves, strip!" he commanded.

She looked up in alarm. "What?" she said. The younger slave girl was looking confused. The older woman resignedly started to remove her dress.

"Dress off!" said one of the Phoenician's assistants sharply. He picked up a leather thong and before Thessela could move, it whistled through the air and cracked against her bottom and the small of her back. She yelped and jumped at the sharp sting.

"Hey!" shouted the Phoenician. "Just get them undressed. I don't need them marked. If you damage them, I'll take any loss out of your pay."

"Nothing to worry about, sir," said the assistant. "Just a leather thong whip. It'll make her bum a bit red, but won't break the skin. He turned back to Thessela. "You heard the command, girl. Strip!"

Thessela hesitantly started pushing the straps of her dress from her shoulders. She hoped the Phoenician would reverse his command, but he didn't. He was busy welcoming several customers onto the platform with obsequious bows and compliments. Her dress slipped from her shoulders, and she let it slide down her chest, just to her breasts. Then she noticed the assistant merchant fingering his whip again. Feeling her face heat with a furious blush, she unhappily slid the dress down, baring her breasts, and then slid it off her hips and let the dress drop to the floor of the platform.

She stood there, totally exposed, staring hard at the floor, and almost panicking with humiliation. Glancing down the row of slaves she saw the young girl letting her own dress fall to the floor, a tear dropping down her cheek. She also noticed Rolf staring at her, his hard blue eyes seeing every part of her. She thought the bulge in his leather shorts was, if anything, even larger now than it had been when they had been marched through the city to the market. She, imagined she felt his gaze on the swell of her breasts, the flare of her hips, caressing the roundness of her bottom, and then moving up her legs and the dark triangle of her pubic hair. Self-consciously, she pressed her thighs together.

"Why do the girls have to strip, and not you?" she muttered.

Rolf gave her a grin. "Because the customers do not want us for the same things." He winked.

"I..." started Thessela, but couldn't finish. The fat Phoenician was in front of her and with him was a well groomed middle-aged man, dressed in a white toga, trimmed with gold and blue embroidery. Clearly a man of some means.

"This slave is Thessela," said the Phoenician, "young, but not too young. An experienced house slave. I have used her myself for light duties and she has always been obedient and her services excellent."

"Does she have any education, any experience with small children?" asked the man, looking up and down Thessela's body as he did so.

She felt herself falling into the familiar submissive stance, head down, eyes on the floor. She felt this man's eyes roving over her body as an unwanted hand touching her roughly. She felt an unhappy arousal, almost as if her body was betraying her.

"No," said the Phoenician honestly, "I do not believe she has been a child care slave, but she comes from a family where she had siblings. I'm sure she can be quickly trained."

"Very well," said the man. "I will consider it, although your prices are high. If I do not find something better and she is still unsold, I may buy her later in the day."

"You may seek out anyone in Corinth, regarding the reliability of my merchandise," said the Phoenician. "My prices reflect what my product is worth. I shall look forward to seeing you later."

The man nodded and walked off. He paused as he passed Rolf. Rolf drew himself erect and stood respectfully, as the man looked him over as well.

"Rolf would be a good choice for a multi-purpose slave," said the Phoenician. "He is strong, but friendly, and his talents would be wasted in the fields, especially at the price I am charging for him."

"No doubt," laughed the man. "Well, I will browse around a bit more, but I expect I will be back. I always seem to buy something from you." He descended the steps of the platform and wandered off.

The morning wore on. Thessela found out that the thirty-something woman was named Flavia, while the young girl was Tullia. The other men were not talkative, even to Rolf. A lot of the morning might have been dull, if there had not been so much going on in the market. Mostly she stood with Flavia and Tullia. It was easier being on display totally naked with company. “We’re just a storefront display,” thought Thessela.

Mostly, people stopped and looked, and then moved on. Some came on the platform. Some of the men went so far as to feel Thessela's or Tullia's buttocks. One squeezed one of Tullia's breasts, making her yelp. Then came the group of four young women, obviously browsing the slave market just to comment on the girls being sold. They came down the row of slave pavilions, pointing and commenting to each other. Occasionally they would make a show of admiring one of the male slaves. They were dirisive about all the naked female slaves, speaking loudly enough that Thessela knew they were trying to insult and humiliate. They reached the Phoenician’s pavilion and paused. They were eyeing Rolf , whispering and giggling, one of them pointing at his shorts. There was more whispering, and then one of them shrieked with laughter.

“Druscilla!” she cried, “I can’t believe you suggested it. It would never fit.” She suddenly turned red. “Not that I would let a slave try,” she added quickly. Rolf smiled in a detached manner.

The four women turned their attention to the three slave girls. “Ew. Look at that one,” they said, pointing at Flavia. “She’s old.”

“Past your sell-by date if you’re hoping to be anyone’s bed slave,” said another of the four. Flavia made no sign that she heard them.

“And you,” said the one apparently called Druscilla to Thessela. “You think you could be someone? You’re just headed where that old bag is. Probably only good for scrubbing floors and hoping you can bed the master for better treatment.”

Thessela stood and tried to ignore the taunts, but inside she was remembering that she had once been a free girl. She began to feel her enslavement, the taunts peeling away her sense of worth, showing her how little value she had in the eyes of these women. She wasn’t even considered a real rival to them. She was only a slave – her wishes and hopes were so far down in the list of priorities that nobody would even think she had any.

“Hey, the little one looks frightened,” said one of the women, pointing to Tullia standing beside Thessela.

“Nothing to be scared of if you work hard,” said Druscilla with mock sympathy, “except whether you can keep the master and any un-gelded male slaves out of your cunt.”

“She's too timid and probably no fun in bed,” said another. “You’ll be pregnant and lose your looks before next year. Then you can raise slave puppies! Won’t that be nice?”

Tullia started to cry silently. Thessela reached out and took the girl’s hand. The fat Phoenician, not liking what his display was turning into, walked down to the four Roman women, “Ladies, ladies,” he said jovially, but there was a hard glint in his eye, “please don’t upset the merchandise. Such fine ladies must be in need of slaves. A maid to draw your bath. A fine male slave to carry your litter. Perhaps I could interest you in…” He trailed off as a commotion at the other end of the market caught his attention and that of the four female critics.

“Now what is going on over there?” he wondered aloud, as the noise of a crowd rose in the market, growing as more people turned to find out what new excitement was coming. Across the square, near the bakers and fruit sellers, a party of soldiers was moving into the market. Thessela craned her neck to try to see what was going on, but even from her vantage point on the raised platform, she couldn’t quite make it out. The soldiers were getting closer, moving slowly across the square, followed by a crowd of people. If they kept on this way, they would come directly through the slave market, she thought. She saw the fat Phoenician coming back up onto the platform, hoping to get a better view himself.

The four Roman women stood and whispered together, their interest in naked slave girls seemingly forgotten for this new point of interest. The soldiers were soon enough entering the slave market area. They were still moving slowly, and the reason for that were two women with chains around their necks, being pulled along by two large men wearing leather shorts similar to Rolf’s. Behind the women came two similar men wielding whips.

“More slaves?” whispered Thessela to Flavia.

“No, I don't think so?” said the woman darkly.

“Oh, to be whipped like that though,” said Thessela, “it must be terrible.”

“Why are they carrying those boards?” asked Tullia, still holding Thessela’s hand.

“A crucifixion!” cried Druscilla. “What fun!” And the four women ran off toward the crowd.

“Oh no,” said Flavia blanching. Thessela could see now that the two women being pulled along each had a heavy looking beam on her shoulders, her arms bound to it, and they were being pulled along at a stumbling pace through the slave market toward the street to the harbor. She watched as the procession came directly in front of their platform. One of the women carrying a patibulum was about her age, she thought, not yet out of her twenties. The other was maybe in her late thirties. They both wore soiled and bloody slave shifts, their backs obviously bleeding from a flogging. They were barefoot and dead-eyed, stumbling along in a daze of pain and misery.

The crowd was taunting them and throwing rotting fruit and dirt clods. Nobody paid any attention to the naked slave girls arranged on display along the row of slave vendors. “So there is someone lower than us,” thought Thessela. “And they’ve endured such pain. They look so hopeless, knowing it will get worse.”

Tullia started sobbing. “Why?” she cried. “Why is everything so horrible?”

Someone in the crowd saw her and yelled, “Hey, the little naked slave there is worried about these vermin.”

“Ha,” said another, “she should look hard and remember. Work hard for your new master, girlie, and maybe you won't get crucified.”

Tullia stiffened, still sobbing, in rage now, she let go of Thessela’s hand and lunged toward the platform railing, she seemed about to yell something at the man in the crowd, but suddenly Rolf was pulling her back, one large hand over her mouth as he pulled her back against him.

“Not here,” he whispered to her urgently. “Say nothing. Cry if you must, but you say nothing! If you do, there is only pain.”

Thessela looked at him, and their eyes met. “Remember them,” he said. Thessela looked at the retreating procession, the backs of the condemned women. She didn’t think she would ever forget them.

“By the gods,” said the fat Phoenician bustling over finally to them, “I hate those crucifixion parades. So unsettling, and bad for business.” He separated the young girl from Rolf, and looked into her face. “My dear little thing,” he said, “do stop crying. It’s all done now. They’re gone, and so are those four tiresome Roman wenches. Let’s get your face washed, put on a nice smile, and get you sold, eh?”

“Well, I’m back,” said the middle aged man an hour later. It was now about 2:00 in the afternoon. “You knew I would be, too.” He didn’t sound unhappy.

“Ah, my friend Ampelios,” said the Phoenician, “I know of your love of beautiful things, and I saw that my slaves today were the most beautiful. I knew you would return."

“Indeed,” said Ampelios. “I like the idea of a pretty little bedwarmer, but my wife would likely not appreciate the idea. And there’s too much training and emotion in a young slave. No. I think I like your middle one here, what did you call her?”

“Thessela,” said the Phoenician. “Yes, a good choice. Very pretty with that long dark hair and big dark eyes. She is a skilled housekeeper and quite intelligent. I'm sure she will prove able to help with your children.”

“Well, we’ll leave that to my wife,” said Ampelios. “She needs a new body slave. Hair, baths, and whatever women do these days, you know. I also need a good all around handy slave for the gardens, orchards, and to help with maintenance on the estate. This Nordic-looking one would be fine. Variety. I have enough Latin and Greek slaves. The two men moved off into the pavilion to haggle on prices.

“It appears we will be sold together,” said Rolf to Thessela. “This is pleasing to me.” He gave her a rakish grin.

Thessela felt his interest and blushed again, knowing her breasts showed her reaction every time he spoke to her. She wondered if she tried to cover her breasts with her arm if that wouldn’t make him more aware of her discomfort, or - she wasn’t exactly uncomfortable. In the end she cast her eyes down. Was it good to hope? She didn’t know if she deserved to want anything anymore. Everything she had wanted always seemed to be taken away.

“It pleases me also,” she whispered.

Ampelios and the Phoenician came out of the pavilion, all smiles and compliments. Thessela was told to put her dress back on. Slave collars were produced and she and Rolf were chained together. Ampelios called his retinue over, four slave men and an overseer, and handed the chain to the overseer. Then bidding farewell to the Phoenician, they moved off through the market and out into the city toward Ampelios’ villa.

She looked back once to see the other slaves still standing and waiting stoically to be sold, except for the Tullia. She was crying as if she had been abandoned, but she waved when she caught Thessela’s eye. Thessela never saw her again.

(to be continued)

Great part 2 of the story Jollyrei. I was not expecting a crucifixion procession in the middle of the slave trading. I bet Thessala will want to please her new master, so she won't end up in the next procession.:devil:

Hum .......

Messaline says : " What a pity, my dear Hanginus Trius ! I'm afraid that we already missed a good opportunity : I'd heard
that there was a nice slave for sale today , Thessala or perhaps Thessela ? But visibly, she's sold !:("

Hanginus Trius replies : "If you were not always in orgy, perhaps that we could come sooner to the slave market, dear Princess Messaline ..."

Messaline concludes : "I was seing her crucified in the middle of my palace while we could be wallowing in debauchery !!!
What a pleasure !!!" (... sighs ... :(:(:( )
men-bid-on-women-at-a-slave-market-hm-herget.jpg

Great part 2 of the story Jollyrei. I was not expecting a crucifixion procession in the middle of the slave trading. I bet Thessala will want to please her new master, so she won't end up in the next procession.:devil:

Yes :) a real story and nicely told thanks so much Jollyrei!
Oh I really feel my shame and discomfort, and my shy pleasure.
“It pleases me also,” I whisper.

Last edited:
Part 2: The Slave Market

Thessela looked around as customers started coming forward to the various platforms around the slave market pavilions. The neighboring trader was selling only young girls, the youngest of which was about 19, and the oldest probably no more than 25. As she watched, the traders moved down the row of about 10 girls there and pulling the slave shifts off of them, and then re-chaining them to posts fixed to the platform. She couldn't help wondering what it must be like to stand chained and naked, waiting for someone to buy you, someone could do with you whatever he wanted. Part of her, trembling, was imagining herself in that position. She noticed that there were similar short posts, about waist high, built into the rails of her own platform, each equipped with chains and manacles. The Phoenician had not bothered to use them, presumably to show his slaves were higher quality models that did not need such restraint for obedience. The Phoenician's voice brought her back to reality.

"Female slaves, strip!" he commanded.

She looked up in alarm. "What?" she said. The younger slave girl was looking confused. The older woman resignedly started to remove her dress.

"Dress off!" said one of the Phoenician's assistants sharply. He picked up a leather thong and before Thessela could move, it whistled through the air and cracked against her bottom and the small of her back. She yelped and jumped at the sharp sting.

"Hey!" shouted the Phoenician. "Just get them undressed. I don't need them marked. If you damage them, I'll take any loss out of your pay."

"Nothing to worry about, sir," said the assistant. "Just a leather thong whip. It'll make her bum a bit red, but won't break the skin. He turned back to Thessela. "You heard the command, girl. Strip!"

Thessela hesitantly started pushing the straps of her dress from her shoulders. She hoped the Phoenician would reverse his command, but he didn't. He was busy welcoming several customers onto the platform with obsequious bows and compliments. Her dress slipped from her shoulders, and she let it slide down her chest, just to her breasts. Then she noticed the assistant merchant fingering his whip again. Feeling her face heat with a furious blush, she unhappily slid the dress down, baring her breasts, and then slid it off her hips and let the dress drop to the floor of the platform.

She stood there, totally exposed, staring hard at the floor, and almost panicking with humiliation. Glancing down the row of slaves she saw the young girl letting her own dress fall to the floor, a tear dropping down her cheek. She also noticed Rolf staring at her, his hard blue eyes seeing every part of her. She thought the bulge in his leather shorts was, if anything, even larger now than it had been when they had been marched through the city to the market. She, imagined she felt his gaze on the swell of her breasts, the flare of her hips, caressing the roundness of her bottom, and then moving up her legs and the dark triangle of her pubic hair. Self-consciously, she pressed her thighs together.

"Why do the girls have to strip, and not you?" she muttered.

Rolf gave her a grin. "Because the customers do not want us for the same things." He winked.

"I..." started Thessela, but couldn't finish. The fat Phoenician was in front of her and with him was a well groomed middle-aged man, dressed in a white toga, trimmed with gold and blue embroidery. Clearly a man of some means.

"This slave is Thessela," said the Phoenician, "young, but not too young. An experienced house slave. I have used her myself for light duties and she has always been obedient and her services excellent."

"Does she have any education, any experience with small children?" asked the man, looking up and down Thessela's body as he did so.

She felt herself falling into the familiar submissive stance, head down, eyes on the floor. She felt this man's eyes roving over her body as an unwanted hand touching her roughly. She felt an unhappy arousal, almost as if her body was betraying her.

"No," said the Phoenician honestly, "I do not believe she has been a child care slave, but she comes from a family where she had siblings. I'm sure she can be quickly trained."

"Very well," said the man. "I will consider it, although your prices are high. If I do not find something better and she is still unsold, I may buy her later in the day."

"You may seek out anyone in Corinth, regarding the reliability of my merchandise," said the Phoenician. "My prices reflect what my product is worth. I shall look forward to seeing you later."

The man nodded and walked off. He paused as he passed Rolf. Rolf drew himself erect and stood respectfully, as the man looked him over as well.

"Rolf would be a good choice for a multi-purpose slave," said the Phoenician. "He is strong, but friendly, and his talents would be wasted in the fields, especially at the price I am charging for him."

"No doubt," laughed the man. "Well, I will browse around a bit more, but I expect I will be back. I always seem to buy something from you." He descended the steps of the platform and wandered off.

The morning wore on. Thessela found out that the thirty-something woman was named Flavia, while the young girl was Tullia. The other men were not talkative, even to Rolf. A lot of the morning might have been dull, if there had not been so much going on in the market. Mostly she stood with Flavia and Tullia. It was easier being on display totally naked with company. “We’re just a storefront display,” thought Thessela.

Mostly, people stopped and looked, and then moved on. Some came on the platform. Some of the men went so far as to feel Thessela's or Tullia's buttocks. One squeezed one of Tullia's breasts, making her yelp. Then came the group of four young women, obviously browsing the slave market just to comment on the girls being sold. They came down the row of slave pavilions, pointing and commenting to each other. Occasionally they would make a show of admiring one of the male slaves. They were dirisive about all the naked female slaves, speaking loudly enough that Thessela knew they were trying to insult and humiliate. They reached the Phoenician’s pavilion and paused. They were eyeing Rolf , whispering and giggling, one of them pointing at his shorts. There was more whispering, and then one of them shrieked with laughter.

“Druscilla!” she cried, “I can’t believe you suggested it. It would never fit.” She suddenly turned red. “Not that I would let a slave try,” she added quickly. Rolf smiled in a detached manner.

The four women turned their attention to the three slave girls. “Ew. Look at that one,” they said, pointing at Flavia. “She’s old.”

“Past your sell-by date if you’re hoping to be anyone’s bed slave,” said another of the four. Flavia made no sign that she heard them.

“And you,” said the one apparently called Druscilla to Thessela. “You think you could be someone? You’re just headed where that old bag is. Probably only good for scrubbing floors and hoping you can bed the master for better treatment.”

Thessela stood and tried to ignore the taunts, but inside she was remembering that she had once been a free girl. She began to feel her enslavement, the taunts peeling away her sense of worth, showing her how little value she had in the eyes of these women. She wasn’t even considered a real rival to them. She was only a slave – her wishes and hopes were so far down in the list of priorities that nobody would even think she had any.

“Hey, the little one looks frightened,” said one of the women, pointing to Tullia standing beside Thessela.

“Nothing to be scared of if you work hard,” said Druscilla with mock sympathy, “except whether you can keep the master and any un-gelded male slaves out of your cunt.”

“She's too timid and probably no fun in bed,” said another. “You’ll be pregnant and lose your looks before next year. Then you can raise slave puppies! Won’t that be nice?”

Tullia started to cry silently. Thessela reached out and took the girl’s hand. The fat Phoenician, not liking what his display was turning into, walked down to the four Roman women, “Ladies, ladies,” he said jovially, but there was a hard glint in his eye, “please don’t upset the merchandise. Such fine ladies must be in need of slaves. A maid to draw your bath. A fine male slave to carry your litter. Perhaps I could interest you in…” He trailed off as a commotion at the other end of the market caught his attention and that of the four female critics.

“Now what is going on over there?” he wondered aloud, as the noise of a crowd rose in the market, growing as more people turned to find out what new excitement was coming. Across the square, near the bakers and fruit sellers, a party of soldiers was moving into the market. Thessela craned her neck to try to see what was going on, but even from her vantage point on the raised platform, she couldn’t quite make it out. The soldiers were getting closer, moving slowly across the square, followed by a crowd of people. If they kept on this way, they would come directly through the slave market, she thought. She saw the fat Phoenician coming back up onto the platform, hoping to get a better view himself.

The four Roman women stood and whispered together, their interest in naked slave girls seemingly forgotten for this new point of interest. The soldiers were soon enough entering the slave market area. They were still moving slowly, and the reason for that were two women with chains around their necks, being pulled along by two large men wearing leather shorts similar to Rolf’s. Behind the women came two similar men wielding whips.

“More slaves?” whispered Thessela to Flavia.

“No, I don't think so?” said the woman darkly.

“Oh, to be whipped like that though,” said Thessela, “it must be terrible.”

“Why are they carrying those boards?” asked Tullia, still holding Thessela’s hand.

“A crucifixion!” cried Druscilla. “What fun!” And the four women ran off toward the crowd.

“Oh no,” said Flavia blanching. Thessela could see now that the two women being pulled along each had a heavy looking beam on her shoulders, her arms bound to it, and they were being pulled along at a stumbling pace through the slave market toward the street to the harbor. She watched as the procession came directly in front of their platform. One of the women carrying a patibulum was about her age, she thought, not yet out of her twenties. The other was maybe in her late thirties. They both wore soiled and bloody slave shifts, their backs obviously bleeding from a flogging. They were barefoot and dead-eyed, stumbling along in a daze of pain and misery.

The crowd was taunting them and throwing rotting fruit and dirt clods. Nobody paid any attention to the naked slave girls arranged on display along the row of slave vendors. “So there is someone lower than us,” thought Thessela. “And they’ve endured such pain. They look so hopeless, knowing it will get worse.”

Tullia started sobbing. “Why?” she cried. “Why is everything so horrible?”

Someone in the crowd saw her and yelled, “Hey, the little naked slave there is worried about these vermin.”

“Ha,” said another, “she should look hard and remember. Work hard for your new master, girlie, and maybe you won't get crucified.”

Tullia stiffened, still sobbing, in rage now, she let go of Thessela’s hand and lunged toward the platform railing, she seemed about to yell something at the man in the crowd, but suddenly Rolf was pulling her back, one large hand over her mouth as he pulled her back against him.

“Not here,” he whispered to her urgently. “Say nothing. Cry if you must, but you say nothing! If you do, there is only pain.”

Thessela looked at him, and their eyes met. “Remember them,” he said. Thessela looked at the retreating procession, the backs of the condemned women. She didn’t think she would ever forget them.

“By the gods,” said the fat Phoenician bustling over finally to them, “I hate those crucifixion parades. So unsettling, and bad for business.” He separated the young girl from Rolf, and looked into her face. “My dear little thing,” he said, “do stop crying. It’s all done now. They’re gone, and so are those four tiresome Roman wenches. Let’s get your face washed, put on a nice smile, and get you sold, eh?”

“Well, I’m back,” said the middle aged man an hour later. It was now about 2:00 in the afternoon. “You knew I would be, too.” He didn’t sound unhappy.

“Ah, my friend Ampelios,” said the Phoenician, “I know of your love of beautiful things, and I saw that my slaves today were the most beautiful. I knew you would return."

“Indeed,” said Ampelios. “I like the idea of a pretty little bedwarmer, but my wife would likely not appreciate the idea. And there’s too much training and emotion in a young slave. No. I think I like your middle one here, what did you call her?”

“Thessela,” said the Phoenician. “Yes, a good choice. Very pretty with that long dark hair and big dark eyes. She is a skilled housekeeper and quite intelligent. I'm sure she will prove able to help with your children.”

“Well, we’ll leave that to my wife,” said Ampelios. “She needs a new body slave. Hair, baths, and whatever women do these days, you know. I also need a good all around handy slave for the gardens, orchards, and to help with maintenance on the estate. This Nordic-looking one would be fine. Variety. I have enough Latin and Greek slaves. The two men moved off into the pavilion to haggle on prices.

“It appears we will be sold together,” said Rolf to Thessela. “This is pleasing to me.” He gave her a rakish grin.

Thessela felt his interest and blushed again, knowing her breasts showed her reaction every time he spoke to her. She wondered if she tried to cover her breasts with her arm if that wouldn’t make him more aware of her discomfort, or - she wasn’t exactly uncomfortable. In the end she cast her eyes down. Was it good to hope? She didn’t know if she deserved to want anything anymore. Everything she had wanted always seemed to be taken away.

“It pleases me also,” she whispered.

Ampelios and the Phoenician came out of the pavilion, all smiles and compliments. Thessela was told to put her dress back on. Slave collars were produced and she and Rolf were chained together. Ampelios called his retinue over, four slave men and an overseer, and handed the chain to the overseer. Then bidding farewell to the Phoenician, they moved off through the market and out into the city toward Ampelios’ villa.

She looked back once to see the other slaves still standing and waiting stoically to be sold, except for the Tullia. She was crying as if she had been abandoned, but she waved when she caught Thessela’s eye. Thessela never saw her again.

(to be continued)
I love this.lots of tension, and lovely writing. Looking forward to how it continues.....

These look something like how I imagined the slave market (Some 19th century "renders").
View attachment 249546 View attachment 249556 View attachment 249557

An old manip of mine based on your 2nd pic there. Another northern barbarian, I would guess?
ph119.jpg
Imagine having to do this, Thessela. No secrets for her, and no dignity at all, but the buyers need to see what they are getting.

Great work Jollyrei. It's moving along nicely, you have a deft touch with a story.

An old manip of mine based on your 2nd pic there. Another northern barbarian, I would guess?
all pics maniped by Damian or from Gerome just like this ones

Attachments

• Cleopatra_and_Caesar_by_Jean-Leon-Gerome.jpg
    Cleopatra_and_Caesar_by_Jean-Leon-Gerome.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 307
  • for ceasar's pleasure.png
    for ceasar's pleasure.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 323
  • GEROME01.jpg
    GEROME01.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 294
  • last supper 1.jpg