Or...

I sat and sang to her my song,
I sang to her both loud and long;
She didn't hear, but swore and spat,
Into her eye, with skill, I shat!

:rolleyes:

Shat??????

Had to look that one up.

Shat is the widely accepted past-tense inflection of shit. It was formed by analogy with the verb sit, which becomes sat in the past tense. It was originally a humorous and slightly sanitized version of the curse word, but it has become the standard form.

My vocabulary just keeps expanding with every Wragg post, beginning with "tumescent" and now "shat". CF is such an educational website. ;)

Shat??????

Had to look that one up.

Shat is the widely accepted past-tense inflection of shit. It was formed by analogy with the verb sit, which becomes sat in the past tense. It was originally a humorous and slightly sanitized version of the curse word, but it has become the standard form.

My vocabulary just keeps expanding with every Wragg post, beginning with "tumescent" and now "shat". CF is such an educational website. ;)

Indeed. Shit....

Shat.jpg

....in the past tense :rolleyes:

Shat??????

Had to look that one up.

Indeed. Shit....

View attachment 463373

....in the past tense :rolleyes:
However, just to close the loop completely, it is not considered good form or grammar to say "Oh shat!" :p:D

Shat??????

Had to look that one up.

Actually, it goes back to Anglo-Saxon, it's not simply a modern analogical formation.

Here's the entry from Bosworth and Toller, the standard A-S Dictionary
(p. scát = past form with a singular subject - i.e. 'shat'):

scítan
p. scát, pl. sciton; pp. sciten Cacare. [He sched out his bowels and his lyf wiþ þe dritt þat he schoote (shote) effudit viscera et vitam cum ipsis stercoribus, Trev. 5, 153. Prompt. Parv. schytyn merdo, stercoro: O. H. Ger. scízan; Icel. skíta.] v. be-scítan.

be-scítan
p. -scát; pp. -sciten To bedaub; cacare, Besciten caccabatum, Cot. 189. v. scítan.

Last edited:
Shat??????

Had to look that one up.

Now we have the full explanation from Eul.:)

Actually, Barb, thinking about it, it was you who taught me "tumescent"! ;)

To be a bird is rather fun
Up in the air twixt earth and sun;
The wind beneath my feathered wing
I soar and glide, I fly and sing.

To be a bird gives quite a view
I see as men can never do.
Although they try, I laugh at that
They flap their arms, and fall down flat.

The strangest things those people do
To see, in part, a birdlike view
They jump and climb, and build tall towers
On which they stand for hours and hours.

Today I had a real surprise
Could scarce believe my beady eyes!
They’d taken things to new extremes
And nailed a girl to wooden beams.

That naked girl might scream and cry
And yet they raised her to the sky.
Dropped her in place with awful lurch
But made a place for me to perch.

I fluttered down, and took my place
Beside that woman’s tear-streaked face,
And gazed, as did that tortured girl
Upon a nasty, ugly world.

I saw the world as through her eyes
And so I came to realise
That she was here up in the sky
Not for her pleasure, but to die.

Another girl down on the ground
Was stripped and stretched and tightly bound
And nailed through her wrists and feet
The hammer fell with savage beat.

The watching people clapped and cheered
As she suffered, they laughed and jeered;
How could such an awful sight
Bring them all such cruel delight?

They raised her cross up next to ours
So she could spend her final hours
Beside her naked, suff’ring friend –
They’d be together till the end.

And more were waiting, side by side
Their own turn to be crucified.
I could not bear to sit and scan
Man’s inhumanity to man.

To be a bird - the real joy
These wings of mine I can employ.
When men behave in such a way –
I spread my wings, and fly away.

Wragg 2017

Such a lovely poem Wragg! So eloquent about man's inhumanity to man. Nature may appear cruel, but the cruelty is not intended -- it's just about survival. Only humans can be cruel.

But the title of your poem could also be from the perspective of the crucified girl who, when looking up at her pierced wrist, sees a pretty bird on the end of her crossbeam looking at her with its curious, beady eyes. Then to take flight. The girl follows it with her eyes as it soars off.

Even in the grip of her horrible agony, hanging nailed on her cross, she might think this:

Ah, to be a bird and fly away
To flee the horror of this day
Free from this cross and nails driven
To soar heavenward, my freedom given

Oh lucky bird, so free to fly
Among the clouds, so way up high
But soon enough when death arrives
I'll soar with you across the skies.

Of course the bird, being just a bird, might be thinking this as it flies off:

She did not hear my song so sweet
Nailed as she was by wrists and feet
But when at last she gasps and dies
I’ll be there to peck out her eyes!:eek:

(With apologies to Jollyrei. I honestly hadn't read your delicious macabre twist to this poem before I composed mine.)

Last edited:
Such a lovely poem Wragg! So eloquent about man's inhumanity to man. Nature may appear cruel, but the cruelty is not intended -- it's just about survival. Only humans can be cruel.

But the title of your poem could also be from the perspective of the crucified girl who, when looking up at her pierced wrist, sees a pretty bird on the end of her crossbeam looking at her with its curious, beady eyes. Then to take flight. The girl follows it with her eyes as it soars off.

Even in the grip of her horrible agony, hanging nailed on her cross, she might think this:

Ah, to be a bird and fly away
To flee the horror of this day
Free from this cross and nails driven
To soar heavenward, my freedom given

Oh lucky bird, so free to fly
Among the clouds, so way up high
But soon enough when death arrives
I'll soar with you across the skies.

Of course the bird, being just a bird, might be thinking this as it flies off:

She did not hear my song so sweet
Nailed as she was by wrists and feet
But when at last she gasps and dies
I’ll be there to peck out her eyes!:eek:
Oh, very emotional and a interesting perspective! We see, the Wragg-Verses are very inspiring.

I have never studied the conjugation of the verb "shit" but I think I would have presumed it to be a strong verb like in Dutch and German.
Yes it's a regular strong verb, at least in the Germanic languages close to English.

Back
Top Bottom