Translation Help

Go to CruxDreams.com

thehangingtree

Proconsul
Staff member
Does anyone know a better translator than Google particularly English-French and also English-Portuguese.

Thanks,

Tree

Does anyone know a better translator than Google particularly English-French and also English-Portuguese.

Thanks,

Tree

Google is really about the best IMO, especially for French-English. They calibrate their results to the Hansard transcripts of debates in the Canadian Parliament, which are considered the gold standard. I would be happy to help you if it's not too long a document, especially if it's French into English.

Here's an interesting article on how they have optimized it https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/magazine/the-great-ai-awakening.html?_r=0

Google is really about the best IMO, especially for French-English. They calibrate their results to the Hansard transcripts of debates in the Canadian Parliament, which are considered the gold standard. I would be happy to help you if it's not too long a document, especially if it's French into English.
One of the members asked me if there were better ones... Thanks for you input...

I think it varies depending on language. Google isn't too bad for French,
it's probably had most 'practice' translating either way between English and French
and so ironed out more of the problems. It's not bad for Italian and Spanish too,
I suspect rather less reliable for Portuguese. And it it still makes a dog's breakfast of German,
muddling up pronouns, jumbling the word-order, failing to select the likely word where there's a choice...

I try to avoid colloquialism and most contractions. So there is hillbilly French?!?!?! I always learn new things!!!!
I imagine the dialects around the Pyrenees in the Basque country are pretty wild. Bretons probably have their idioms as well. But nothing can top Sam Houston Johnson , President Lyndon Johnson's brother--I could never understand a word he said. Some American movies need to dub certain dialects into real English. Too bad Esperanto didn't make it.

You have to live now, with my googlish English.

I assume German is hard to translate because the word order is so different. Also, it's worse than English when it comes to stringing words together. One of my favorites is WolkenKuckucksHeim (cloud cuckoo land).
As long as people can understand, I don't think you should worry about it. A lot of people in America don't even speak English very well.

WolkenKuckucksHeim (cloud cuckoo land)
That being from Aristophanes Νεφελοκοκκυγία, Nephelokokkygia in The Birds,
the land built by the birds that gets between mankind and the gods.
The philosopher Schopenhauer introduced it into German as WolkenKuckucksHeim
when he wanted to be rude about what other German philosophers were dreaming up. :cool:

when he wanted to be rude about what other German philosophers were dreaming up. :cool:

So it is strung together in ancient Greek, too. I tried to learn ancient Greek to debunk the New Testament, but I am not into literature so much. Thanks.

All the things you know (or find)!

I did know about Aristophanes, learnt that at school,
but I spotted the bit about Schopenhauer when finding the Greek word to copy ;)

Back
Top Bottom