Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
I shall post and encourage others to add positive thoughts of life in this time. Those who reject or disparage religious faith are welcome to their beliefs. But please to not attack mine here.

In the hymns he wrote for the Christian church, 17th-century German theologian, pastor, and hymn writer Paul Gerhardt (1607-1676) provides some answers. Gerhardt lived through plague, war, the deaths of his parents during his youth, the deaths of his wife and four of his five children, strife in the church, and lengthy periods of unemployment. Yet his hymns never falter in testifying to the hope and comfort found in Christ.

The evening hymn “Now Rest Beneath Night’s Shadow” is a lullaby for all ages, bidding the Christian to sleep in peace, knowing that Christ watches over him: “Lord Jesus, since You love me, Now spread Your wings above me And shield me from alarm. Though Satan would devour me, Let angel guards sing o’er me: This child of God shall meet no harm.”

Thanks for that,it is beautiful. Apart from 3 years in the military,I have sung in a Male Voice Choir since 1952 and it is probably the thing I am missing the most during the lock down.

The piece of music that has always affected me most deeply is this,
Ne irascaris Domine, Be not wrathful with us, Lord -
and especially the second part (begins at 4'20) Civitas sancta tua,
'Your holy city is laid waste ...'
by William Byrd, contemporary of Shakespeare, and for me he is the Shakespeare of music

Incidentally, the performers are Stile Antico, among the finest performers of renaissance polyphony.

As for my beliefs - I cultivate Keats's 'Negative Capability,
that is, when a man (or woman!) is capable of being
in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason'

At the heart of our experience of being human is a mystery beyond words,
and, as Wittgenstein put it, Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
(“Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”)

The piece of music that has always affected me most deeply is this,
Ne irascaris Domine, Be not wrathful with us, Lord -
and especially the second part (begins at 4'20) Civitas sancta tua,
'Your holy city is laid waste ...'
by William Byrd, contemporary of Shakespeare, and for me he is the Shakespeare of music

Incidentally, the performers are Stile Antico, among the finest performers of renaissance polyphony.

As for my beliefs - I cultivate Keats's 'Negative Capability,
that is, when a man (or woman!) is capable of being
in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason'

and, as Wittgenstein put it, Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
Byrd is certainly one of the giants of polyphany with Lassus ,Palestrina and Victoria.

I am not far from that. I come closer to Blaise Pascal - « Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point » ("The heart has its reasons that reason does not know").

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

- Frank Herbert, Dune

Byrd is certainly one of the giants of polyphany with Lassus ,Palestrina and Victoria.
As one grows older, one attends more and more funerals. Recently, I went to my cousin`s funeral at the Methodist Church in our native village. Our 3 times great grandfather was a leading light in the Primitive Methodist movement, so the old hymns were sung and a large part of the congregation could sing the harmonies which made the experience moving and strangely fulfilling.
Primitive Methodism was said to have been born in song and many of its hymns are very powerful and have the ability to draw people together.

As one grows older, one attends more and more funerals. Recently, I went to my cousin`s funeral at the Methodist Church in our native village. Our 3 times great grandfather was a leading light in the Primitive Methodist movement, so the old hymns were sung and a large part of the congregation could sing the harmonies which made the experience moving and strangely fulfilling.
Primitive Methodism was said to have been born in song and many of its hymns are very powerful and have the ability to draw people together.
My Mother's Favorite hymn we sang at her funeral, Swedish traditional melody and a poem written by Carl Boberg (1859–1940) in Mönsterås, Sweden
I do not hear it without copious tears of heartfelt joy.

In the Time of Plague, we all must make choices about service.
martinluther1-2x.jpg

Joshua 24:15
But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Attachments

• C8959A1B-EC82-4B5F-84DA-F17E96DC7314.png
    C8959A1B-EC82-4B5F-84DA-F17E96DC7314.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1CC193DF-9BDC-4B4D-BC69-84E6A1538494.jpeg
    1CC193DF-9BDC-4B4D-BC69-84E6A1538494.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 35C39E5F-2F75-4142-8319-B6020A803916.jpeg
    35C39E5F-2F75-4142-8319-B6020A803916.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 9FDB4E7B-D8E9-4672-BBF7-6833DCF1A16B.jpeg
    9FDB4E7B-D8E9-4672-BBF7-6833DCF1A16B.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 7
My Mother's Favorite hymn we sang at her funeral, Swedish traditional melody and a poem written by Carl Boberg (1859–1940) in Mönsterås, Sweden
I do not hear it without copious tears of heartfelt joy.

A classic imho ;)

Back
Top Bottom