Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
Top of the world.
Karen Carpenter, RIP Gone to soon.

I love music from the 60s to the 90s mostly, and I think the 70s could be my least favourite period among them.

That being said, one of the reasons why don't just say "I like music from the 60s, 80s, and 90s" is The Carpenters. They are one of my favourite musicians of all time.

On a side note, I love it more when I see Karen behind the drums. I think she was the happiest when she played that instrument, not just singing.

Presumably, no coincidence that Grainger was deeply into flagellation, both giving and receiving.
Of course not! Nor with his long and strangely intimate relationship with his mother!

Come on, Twonones! This is the uplifting thread. Just enjoy the innocent folk melodies!

That being said, one of the reasons why don't just say "I like music from the 60s, 80s, and 90s" is The Carpenters. They are one of my favourite musicians of all time.

On a side note, I love it more when I see Karen behind the drums. I think she was the happiest when she played that instrument, not just singing.

Karen Carpenter's voice is and always was a real mystery for me.
I was a small boy of about 10 years when I heard this voice for the first time in a German radio program.
I remember, I stopped my playing with some matchbox cars and ran to the radio to hear more and louder and I was like hypnotized as long as I heard the song, my parents told me.

I had no idea how the singer could look like and I did not understand any word she was singing but since then,
I know that you really can fall in love with a voice immediately - no matter how the singer looks or how old she or he is.

Until today, this is for me like a voice from an angel and I will be in love with this voice forever - no matter if the singer is dead or alive - a true "amour fou" of mine ...

Karen Carpenter's voice is and always was a real mystery for me.
I was a small boy of about 10 years when I heard this voice for the first time in a German radio program.
I remember, I stopped my playing with some matchbox cars and ran to the radio to hear more and louder and I was like hypnotized as long as I heard the song, my parents told me.

I had no idea how the singer could look like and I did not understand any word she was singing but since then,
I know that you really can fall in love with a voice immediately - no matter how the singer looks or how old she or he is.

Until today, this is for me like a voice from an angel and I will be in love with this voice forever - no matter if the singer is dead or alive - a true "amour fou" of mine ...
An absolutely brilliant singer, always in total control of her voice and knowing exactly how it should be deployed. Her untimely demise was a tragedy, as was the fact that she was unhappy for large parts of her life.

Speaking of The Carpenters, and aside from their better knwon songs, I like this particular song and the backstory about it:

I'm normally not such a fan of the fuzz guitar sound, but when I first listened to this song, it was such a fuzzy guitar solo that immediately captured my attention. I didn't expect to hear such a long, passionate, and absolutely beautiful fuzz solo from The Carpenter's song, knowing that they hadn't really done anything close to rock music.

So I searched the song up on Wikipedia and found this fascinating backstory about it:
While the Carpenters were working on the song, Carpenter decided that a fuzz guitar solo should be included. Karen Carpenter called guitarist Tony Peluso and asked him to play on the record. Tony remembers: "At first I didn't believe that it was actually Karen Carpenter on the phone but she repeated her name again. ... It was at this point that I realized it was really her and that I was speaking to one of my idols." She told him that she and Richard were working on a song called "Goodbye to Love", that they were familiar with Tony's work with a band called Instant Joy, and that he would be perfect for the sound they were looking for.[3] Peluso first played something soft and sweet, but then Richard Carpenter said:
"No, no, no! Play the melody for five bars and then burn it up! Soar off into the stratosphere! Go ahead! It'll be great!"[4]
John Bettis has said that Richard Carpenter kept calling him, raving about the guitar solo. He was wondering why Richard was going on about the solo until he heard it. The lyricist said he cried when he first heard the song because he had never heard an electric guitar sound like that. He said Tony Peluso "had a certain almost cello sounding guitar growl that worked against the wonderful melancholia of that song". He went on to say the "way it growls at you, especially at the end" was unbelievable.

I love music from the 60s to the 90s mostly, and I think the 70s could be my least favourite period among them.

I agree about the drums, Karen was happiest there I believe.

I think, many of our most favourite singers like Karen Carpenter could also have sung the text of this song in great versions, too, but this one was made by destiny for this singer and it was matching absolutely perfect for this girl with the golden hair:

Oh boy, during the last two weeks, almost every song of my youth almost makes me cry because of the connected memories about my family and my friends.
Do you have similar problems in recent times?

Sometimes, I love a song so much that I cannot get enough of it. Sometimes there are different versions of it and I think, every version of it is worth looking at it and wondering what human imagination can make out of only one beautiful song in different times and at different places:

Judy Collins, Both sides now...
It's a great song that I like. Thanks! :)

Personally, I love the original from Joni Mitchell more though. I once read the following remark of her and I absolutely agree:
When the dust settles, Joni Mitchell may stand as the most important and influential female recording artist of the late 20th century.

We have many singers who have a better vocal cord than her, or have better technics. But I don't think we would be able to find too many who can match her originality now.

And I also think she was the prototype of all such original female musicians from later period like Tori Amos, and it is no wonder why they chose to close the DVD version of The Lilith Fair - a music festival dedicated to female artists - with everyone singing her Big Yellow Taxi together.

I suppose many would know her famous songs already, so I'll post a rare one which was recorded before she became well known, and also the rendition of Big Yellow Taxi I mentioned above:

(The actual song starts around 1:00, and I feel it's quite mesmerizing once she starts singing.)

(Oh, How I miss the 90s with all those great female artists!)

Last edited:
It's a great song that I like. Thanks! :)

Personally, I love the original from Joni Mitchell more though. I once read the following remark of her and I absolutely agree:

We have many singers who have a better vocal cord than her, or have better technics. But I don't think we would be able to find too many who can match her originality now.

And I also think she was the prototype of all such original female musicians from later period like Tori Amos, and it is no wonder why they chose to close the DVD version of The Lilith Fair - a music festival dedicated to female artists - with everyone singing her Big Yellow Taxi together.

I suppose many would know her famous songs already, so I'll post a rare one which was recorded before she became well known, and also the rendition of Big Yellow Taxi I mentioned above:

(The actual song starts around 1:00, and I feel it's quite mesmerizing once she starts singing.)

(Oh, How I miss the 90s with all those great female artists!)
Oh I love Joni Mitchel as well.

a wonderful performance

another very fine one, in a different way

OK, some ancient history. In 1972 I bought a record album, this one:
il_fullxfull.1816439990_24rw.jpg
I was interested in the song and the pipes, but I think what caused me to buy it was the cover illustration of Lady Butler's phenomenal painting. Scotland Forever! depicting the charge of the Royal Scots Greys at the Battle of Waterloo. An early critic could only say, "A most Terrifying Sight!" Imagine being a French infantry man with that coming at you!
Scotland_Forever!.jpg
The title for the painting comes from the battle cry of the soldiers - the Greys called "Now, my boys, Scotland forever!" as they charged.

The album was issued in commemoration of the end of the Greys. The year before, 1971, they were amalgamated with the 3rd Carabiniers (Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards) to form the current, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys).
Incredibly, on April 11, 1972, the album topped the British Charts!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom