Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
You know, sometimes I wonder if we try too hard to justify our beliefs or disbeliefs. Whatever we think, the universe doesn't care. But I do know this, music in all its forms, great art, great poetry can ring harmonies in the depths of our souls.

So thank you @Praefectus Praetorio for starting this thread, which is indeed just what we need.

Great stuff. I sang the counter-tenor (alto) in the small choir part in my slightly younger days. Fantastic and transcendent (whatever that means, but I think it captures something).

You don't need to be religious or pious to enjoy music like this and have it lift you up. At its core, the music and words are an expression of how people relate to things greater than themselves, and sometimes things we don't have a lot of power to change, and so we play music, and sing in hope, or defiance, and sometimes against all odds. :bdsm-heart::headbang:

I saw Eulalia's choice of Byrd's "Ne irascaris..." and I too love that piece. But I always go back in trying times to what I think is Henry Purcell's masterpiece, "Hear my prayer, o Lord".
It starts quietly, as when we are trying to be contained and reasonable about things. Just ask for a little help, but it builds until through a crescendo of 8 voices, with exquisite dissonances, it really cries out in distress for aid, and then resolves again because, in faith, we are crying out "unto Thee", presumably knowing that ultimately, all will be well again.
Here is Voces 8 with one voice to a part:

For those who cannot touch their loved ones (including dear friends on CF), a great song from 1965 of longing from the Rightous Brothers

and a violin version by Jo A Ram

I decided to limit myself to post just a single song from my favourite list, to prevent spamming the thread. If I don't control my urge, I bet the thread will very soon become "Uplifting Songs for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague from fallenmystic." :p

I have no wonder all these classic songs posted here are some of the bests. But for some inexplicable reason, I have a low tolerance for the classic music. So, here's my protest to 'swing' them up:

Aside from her unmatched talent as a musical singer of her time, Judy always had a knack for comedy as well. It shows in this her humorous jab at the classic music which she did more than once in her career.

Since most of the music here is from 'olden times' ... there is such a thing
Ah, fantastic! Thanks for digging that old thread for me :) Maybe I should use that thread to satisfy my daily desire for spamming my Youtube links, as the posts there seem to suit my taste better :)

Songs and music are great but plain words can lift us.

Zephaniah 3:17 The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.

Psalm 100 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Gregorian Chant of the Kyrie. It is the opening litany in the Mass and the high Protestant services (called ektania [ἐκτενής] in the Eastern Orthodox). The only part of the Latin Mass to retain the Greek language of the early church and the Gospels, the Kyrie is a simple but deeply felt communal cry for help from God in times of trouble and pain. I have always found these words of comfort in the face of tragedy, when all other words fail.

Κύριε, ἐλέησον
Χριστέ, ἐλέησον
Κύριε, ἐλέησον

Transliterated to Latin:
Kyrie Eleison
Christe Eleison
Kyrie Eleison

Translated to English:
Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy
Lord Have mercy

Sorry for possibly overload this thread now with some songs sung by a single person, but I thought this here could b also "uplifting" because I have seen religious (Catholic ?) people beginning to pray after witnessing performances of this person who is the child prodigy Amira Willighagen of Dutch/ South African origin - and some say of her the name should be A-mira-cle Willighagen.

Before she first appeared on Dutch TV with nine years in 2013 (so, you can count yourself how old she was in the other videos), she never had singing lessons by a teacher, she herself said in 2013 / 2014 on German TV (Carmen Nebel - Show) she simply liked very much to sing Italian opera song after hearing them from YouTube and her little brother said, she sounded better than the original and told this her mother. Her mother was a bit more ambitious and brought her to a Dutch TV talent show.
Since then, almost everyone who ever heard her says: This is a miracle by nature or by God or something else - in any case this looks and sounds almost supernatural because she can sing by nature as the most opera singers can only sing after a professional education and she did not have it!
So, I think, as long as children / human beings are born like this one, there must be hope for mankind ...

Almost 30 years since that came out? Wow! BTW, for those not from the Southern US, "Losing my religion" is a regional expression I've heard used several times. It doesn't mean losing your faith in God. It is closer to "being at the end of my rope" losing faith in another person, or being depressed over Corona.

It is usually regarded as a child's song. I sang it (completely off-key) many times as a bedtime lullaby to my daughters. But, for anytime you feel alone with nowhere to turn:

For those who are suffering financial dislocation or hardship in the Time of Plague. An excellent suggestion for earning money from home.
A bought this record in 1968 in college

From a traditional Folk site alternative lyrics

My God How the Money Rolls in

[This is a compilation from several sources. Alternate words in brackets.]

My father makes book on the corner
My mother [granny] makes second-hand [bootlegger, illicit, synthetic] gin
My sister makes love for a dollar [sells kisses to sailors]
My God [Oh, Lord; My word], how the money rolls in!

(Chorus:) Rolls in, rolls in, my God, how the money rolls in, rolls in!
Rolls in, rolls in, my God, how the money rolls in!

My mother's a bawdyhouse keeper
Every night when the evening grows dim [action begins]
She hangs out a little red lantern [hangs a red light in the window]
My God, how the money rolls in!

My grandma [mother] makes pink [cheap] prophylactics
She pierces [punctures; pokes in] the end with a pin
My grandpa [father] gets rich on [does quickie] abortions

My brother's a poor [street] missionary [street-corner preacher]
He saves gorgeous [wayward, fallen] women [little girlies] from sin
He'll save you a blonde for five dollars [a guinea]

My brother's a medical student, [Harley Street surgeon]
With instruments long, sharp, and thin.
He only knows [does] one operation.

For those who are suffering financial dislocation or hardship in the Time of Plague. An excellent suggestion for earning money from home.
A bought this record in 1968 in college

From a traditional Folk site alternative lyrics

My God How the Money Rolls in

[This is a compilation from several sources. Alternate words in brackets.]

My father makes book on the corner
My mother [granny] makes second-hand [bootlegger, illicit, synthetic] gin
My sister makes love for a dollar [sells kisses to sailors]
My God [Oh, Lord; My word], how the money rolls in!

(Chorus:) Rolls in, rolls in, my God, how the money rolls in, rolls in!
Rolls in, rolls in, my God, how the money rolls in!

My mother's a bawdyhouse keeper
Every night when the evening grows dim [action begins]
She hangs out a little red lantern [hangs a red light in the window]

My grandma [mother] makes pink [cheap] prophylactics
She pierces [punctures; pokes in] the end with a pin
My grandpa [father] gets rich on [does quickie] abortions

My brother's a poor [street] missionary [street-corner preacher]
He saves gorgeous [wayward, fallen] women [little girlies] from sin
He'll save you a blonde for five dollars [a guinea]

My brother's a medical student, [Harley Street surgeon]
With instruments long, sharp, and thin.
He only knows [does] one operation.
This is an extended version of "Filthy Lilly"

Me name is filthy lilly from the streets of Picadilly.
Me mother is a whore in the Strand.
Me father flogs his arsehole at the Elephant and Castle
Its a filthy f-----g life, but ain`t it grand.

Back
Top Bottom