Uplifting Thoughts for the Isolated and Depressed in Times of Plague

Go to CruxDreams.com
In times of worry or Plague, the indigenous African American musical genre, The Blues, can be a mighty comfort.
Goodnight Irene is a song recorded in 1933 by American blues musician, Huddie (Lead Belly) Ledbetter. I apologize for the quality, but the authenticity is worth it.

From the Financial Times:

It’s impossible to tell the story of “Goodnight, Irene” without telling the tale of Huddie Ledbetter. Born in 1888 (or possibly 1889) in Louisiana, Ledbetter was a man with a temper. He was jailed for murder in Texas in 1918, having killed a man in a fight over a woman. After seven years inside, he used his sweet singing voice and a specially composed ballad to charm the prison governor into granting him early release. In 1934 he was back inside, this time in Angola prison, Louisiana, for his part in a knife fight, when the institution was visited by the folklorists John Lomax and his son, Alan. Struck by Ledbetter’s ringing tenor voice, and by what Alan Lomax later called his “panther-like grace and his extraordinary good looks”, the Lomaxes used their new portable recording equipment to immortalise for the Library of Congress the voice and 12-string guitar-playing of the man known to his fellow inmates — and to subsequent generations of music lovers — as Lead Belly. The first song Lead Belly recorded for them was “Goodnight, Irene”, the waltzing lament of a married man gone astray. He told the Lomaxes he’d heard the song sung by his uncles as a child. They possibly knew it as “Irene, Good Night”, written in 1886 by Gussie Lord Davis, one of Tin Pan Alley’s first black songwriters.

If you are stuck inside, cuddle with your baby, and don't worry about any of the rest!
The Scottish (Glasgow) 60's and 70s folk group, The Incredible String Band!

The Seekers, I hope it doesn't go this far!

Maybe I should post either George Girl or The World of Out Own in the Nostalgia thread before you do it first here :p

Anyway, thanks! I really like The Seekers. They are one of those musicians that make me lament we no longer have music like theirs anymore.

Maybe I should post either George Girl or The World of Out Own in the Nostalgia thread before you do it first here :p

Anyway, thanks! I really like The Seekers. They are one of those musicians that make me lament we no longer have music like theirs anymore.
They were great, I saw a live performance in New Zealand in 69 or 70!

Very nice. Adapted from the Russian folk song Из-за острова на стрежень about Stenka Razin first published circa 1883
The original is pretty uplifting - though the galley slaves aren't up to CruxForums standards!

It's a very interesting video,

"Stenka Razin" has the distinction of being the first Russian dramatic silent film production — a tribute to the determination of its producer, Aleksandr Drankov. When his first seventeen actualities failed to win serious attention in early 1908, he answered the widespread call for Russian-made films with Stenka Razin. This account of the popular brigand leader who dallied with a captured Persian princess was adapted from a traditional ballad "From the Island to the Deep Stream" and Drankov commissioned original music to accompany his film from no less than Ippolitov-lvanov, then head of the Moscow Conservatoire. Energetic promotion ensured the film's commercial success and launched Drankov's career as a producer.

Shame about the captured Persian Princess - but getting captured by a handsome brigand is an occupational hazard,
fun while it lasts, though it ends with an early bath!

Last edited:
The original is pretty uplifting - though the galley slaves aren't up to CruxFOrums standards!

Love it.
My IT skills are not up to it, but for anyone who enjoys and is moved by human voices, Google "Suliko" by the Red Army Choir. It was said to be Stalin`s favourite song but don`t let that put you off. I always find it moving.

Love it.
My IT skills are not up to it, but for anyone who enjoys and is moved by human voices, Google "Suliko" by the Red Army Choir. It was said to be Stalin`s favourite song but don`t let that put you off. I always find it moving.

It's a Georgian folksong (so from Stalin's homeland)
My rewrite of the rather garbled translation:

I was looking for the grave of my darling,
Could not find it.
Was bitterly crying, where are you my Suliko?
I noticed a rose among the blackthorn
Growing all alone
With beating heart I asked, maybe you are Suliko?
A song-thrush flew up,
Touched the flower with its beak,
Sang and twittered
As if it answered 'yes'!

It's a Georgian folksong (so from Stalin's homeland)
My rewrite of the rather garbled translation:

I was looking for the grave of my darling,
Could not find it.
Was bitterly crying, where are you my Suliko?
I noticed a rose among the blackthorn
Growing all alone
With beating heart I asked, maybe you are Suliko?
A song-thrush flew up,
Touched the flower with its beak,
Sang and twittered
As if it answered 'yes'!
Thanks Eulalia, I hope every one enjoyed it.

The original is pretty uplifting - though the galley slaves aren't up to CruxForums standards!

It's a very interesting video,

"Stenka Razin" has the distinction of being the first Russian dramatic silent film production — a tribute to the determination of its producer, Aleksandr Drankov. When his first seventeen actualities failed to win serious attention in early 1908, he answered the widespread call for Russian-made films with Stenka Razin. This account of the popular brigand leader who dallied with a captured Persian princess was adapted from a traditional ballad "From the Island to the Deep Stream" and Drankov commissioned original music to accompany his film from no less than Ippolitov-lvanov, then head of the Moscow Conservatoire. Energetic promotion ensured the film's commercial success and launched Drankov's career as a producer.

Shame about the captured Persian Princess - but getting captured by a handsome brigand is an occupational hazard,
fun while it lasts, though it ends with an early bath!
One summary of the song says this: Razin aboard the ship tames the princess and his men accuse him of no more fighting. He teases her one last time, right after the ejaculation he escapes the loins of the princess and throws her into the river. The killing of the princess after the act of love is for Razin a sacrifice to the river Volga.
A free translation of the next verse of the song:
"Volga, Volga, Mother Volga,
Wide and deep beneath the sun,
You have ne'er seen such a present
From the Cossacks of the Don!

"So that peace may reign for ever
In this band so free and brave,
Volga, Volga, Mother Volga,
Make this lovely girl a grave!"

Things to see while staying isolated:
"The Orchid Show," New York Botanical Garden, the Bronx, New York
mcob0105_43.jpg
Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C. (National Cherry Blossom Festival)
cherry-blossoms-at-jefferson.jpg
More to come

Back
Top Bottom