Uploading Libre Office File

Go to CruxDreams.com
I've written the first part of a story that I'd like to upload to the site. I tried to upload it but the file did not appear in the location I'd left it. So I assume the file type is not supported here. I use LibreOffice 3.4. Is there any way to transfer it to a supported file type? I tried to transfer to a pdf format off line and it wouldn't accept it. What formats or apps (e.g. Microsoft Office?) are supported? Please note that I'm really unsophisticated concerning computers. The only work around I can think of is to type the story directly to a thread. But that's not really a work around, that's just work.

Thanks for any help.

I've written the first part of a story that I'd like to upload to the site. I tried to upload it but the file did not appear in the location I'd left it. So I assume the file type is not supported here. I use LibreOffice 3.4. Is there any way to transfer it to a supported file type? I tried to transfer to a pdf format off line and it wouldn't accept it. What formats or apps (e.g. Microsoft Office?) are supported? Please note that I'm really unsophisticated concerning computers. The only work around I can think of is to type the story directly to a thread. But that's not really a work around, that's just work.

Thanks for any help.

Just copy the text and paste it into a thread. That's what most people, including myself, do. Unless you want to post a long story all at once. While that isn't forbidden, most writers here post in chapters, allowing time for readers to comment on each chapter before posting the next one.

Easy peasy!

And then edit in an hours time.

PDF's work well though.

In LibreOffice you can save something as a Microsoft-compatible .doc file.

I would suggest that if the .doc format is "supported" by this site (i.e allowed to be uploaded) then the .odt format (Open Document text, used by LibreOffice) ought to be supported too. It is a non-proprietary format.

I hate to ask another stupid computer question, but I've finished the next chapter to my story and when I tried to cut and paste it into the thread, my LibrOffice (3.4) crashed. It simply will not let me copy or cut and paste. I did the first chapter (prologue) and it worked fine. Now it won't. I've gone on line to research and apparently my user files are most likely corrupted and I have to alter them and backup and shit I don't understand and would probably fuck it up worse if I tried to fix it anyway. I'm a computer simpleton. A frustrated computer simpleton. Can anyone help with a easy to understand work around? Should I just download an updated version, or get Microsoft Word?

Vielen Dank fur ihre Hilfe, Madiosi, I appreciate it. I think my Libre Office files are corrupt, and I don't have any idea how to fix it. Fortunately there's a work around. I just convert to pdf.

I think my Libre Office files are corrupt, and I don't have any idea how to fix it.
If Libre Office is corrupted, you probably have to wipe it and re-install a new version. Google to see if this problem has been reported by others and if there is a fix first.

It exist portable verions from Libre and Open office.
Copy on a USB-Stick and use on all windows-PCs.
Or on a harddisk (work faster). Visit portable Apps!
I use only portable versions of both.
And I produced all e-books with portable versions of Sigil and Calibre.
Visit and explore it!
https://portableapps.com/

If you saved the story as a .odt file then that file is really just a zip archive which can be unzipped using standard tools.
The resulting files are mostly just metadata. The actual text is in a file called content.xml which you can open with a text editor like gedit. You can then see (along with a bunch of markup) your text, stripped of all info about fonts etc.

I uninstalled my older version, and reinstalled a newer version, and it looks like I didn't lose anything. So I guess the Lord protects fools and people who don't know anything about computers.

Back
Top Bottom