Victim's Eye View

Go to CruxDreams.com
That's me!
What do you know? It is, too. You have an unerring eye for these.

That's a very powerful image too. :eek::) It carries a lot of emotion. The shattered wrist, lifeblood streaming from the nail wound, the fingers curled and limp, the surrender after the fight. You really have all choice taken there. Did you find what you looked for?

Yes, she'd see pretty much the same as the second of those that Messaline cited. I have been doing some scenes that I wanted to illustrate of Sabina's nailing, and doing some renders of those from the POV of the victim as well as the executioner and others. She's not actually on the cross in these, but she's being crucified.

Here's one I did where she's just been thrown to the ground on her back, and as she struggles and screams, the two executioner's helpers wrestle her into position for her wrists to be nailed. The executioner, holding his hammer and nail, kneels behind the patibulum waiting to nail her left wrist. Here's a shot from further back for context:

This is a shot from close in, just above and behind her head:

And this is what she would actually be able to see:

In the next scene, they have her in position for nailing. The executioner probes her wrist with his finger to find the spot where he will drive the nail that he holds in his other hand. Here's a view showing the context again:

Here's one from a bit above and behind her head:

And here's the victim's eye view:

In this scene, the hammer is about to fall. Here's a shot from further back for context:

And here's an almost-victim's eye view. Don't know why I don't have one actually from her eyes, but this is close.

Maybe I'll go back and try getting some from the cross when I have time.
Great.

I like the way the Woman is monitoring being tied to the cross. A girlfriend of mine used to be just as intense, when she was tied. Awesome feeling when her eyes follow every detail.
yes, on the whole I like to watch what's being done to me when I'm being tied/ chained up etc.
On the other hand, I look away when a nurse is sticking a needle in - not really fear,
but knowing I'm less like to make any sudden, reactive movement if I'm not watching -
and I guess I'd do the same if I were being nailed.

yes, on the whole I like to watch what's being done to me when I'm being tied/ chained up etc.
On the other hand, I look away when a nurse is sticking a needle in - not really fear,
but knowing I'm less like to make any sudden, reactive movement if I'm not watching -
and I guess I'd do the same if I were being nailed.
Is it better to hold still, in that case? :eek:

Talking about watching herself being tied reminds me of these pictures of Lucilla from The Serpent's Eye, watching as they tie her wrists to the cross. First, she's trying to see where she's going, what's going to happen to her once they have her wrists tied. From her viewpoint she might be able to see the base of the cross and the dirt piles around the hole where they will drop it when it's lifted up.

379008-0c1626559784640d65c01a48ec11e919.jpg
379009-fceadd23096319c1fa081f57aa0739c4.jpg

Then she's watching in fascination as they secure her wrists to the cross so that she can't work herself loose and perhaps escape her torture during the coming days of endless, agonized struggle.

379010-d425d56471c8e0eebb3dc2abdac7a878.jpg
379011-63595c5c82bfcc90f75ddeeefa50efed.jpg
379012-bc2b53f8b52e0306fdf0dfac506d5aea.jpg
379013-20aa996f787a16bcee6d41b0ea810ae4.jpg
379014-a9819c724c9d18e69f9574b2eceaea0e.jpg

Attachments

• Lucilla Scene 5-12_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 5-12_0001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 918
  • Lucilla Scene 5-21_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 5-21_0001.jpg
    971 KB · Views: 932
  • Lucilla Scene 6-4_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 6-4_0001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 889
  • Lucilla Scene 6-5_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 6-5_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 846
  • Lucilla Scene 6-31_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 6-31_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 913
  • Lucilla Scene 6-33_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 6-33_0001.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 854
  • Lucilla Scene 6-42_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 6-42_0001.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 911
Very imaginatively worked out, as ever, Jedakk. I like her, a lively, intelligent, curious girl, even in that situation she can't help wanting to know what's going on - and what's about to happen to her! The way she throws her head back and peers at the men's hands as they finish tightening the ropes on her wrists is very, very effective.

In the first 2 pics, as you say, she's looking towards the foot of the stipes, and #9 (6.33) gives us a 'victim's eye' view of what she can see in those earlier shots - the ominous handle of the big mallet stands out, and of course the audience. But I spot one thing in that pic that isn't in #6 (6.4): at the foot of the cross to her left, a skull has appeared! :eek: :devil:

PS looking more closely, it is there, not at the foot of the man's cross, but at the end of the 'spare' beam that's lying between her and the pyramid of skulls. Eerie!

PS looking more closely, it is there, not at the foot of the man's cross, but at the end of the 'spare' beam that's lying between her and the pyramid of skulls. Eerie!
Strange enough these skulls were the first thing that struck my eye.

They are part of the 'victim eyes view' too. A constant reminder to their fate. Soon, their own skull will be added to the pile.

She was sentenced to be crucified 12 times, the last was to be her execution.
It would be great to see the final episode.

Then she's watching in fascination as they secure her wrists to the cross so that she can't work herself loose and perhaps escape her torture during the coming days of endless, agonized struggle.

Very imaginatively worked out, as ever, Jedakk. I like her, a lively, intelligent, curious girl, even in that situation she can't help wanting to know what's going on - and what's about to happen to her! The way she throws her head back and peers at the men's hands as they finish tightening the ropes on her wrists is very, very effective.

In the first 2 pics, as you say, she's looking towards the foot of the stipes, and #9 (6.33) gives us a 'victim's eye' view of what she can see in those earlier shots - the ominous handle of the big mallet stands out, and of course the audience. But I spot one thing in that pic that isn't in #6 (6.4): at the foot of the cross to her left, a skull has appeared! :eek: :devil:

That was actually my favorite render of that scene. I thought it captured her expression of fascination as she watched what was being done to her about as well as I could have hoped.

That pile of skulls, assorted bones and old patibuli were intended to show the little regard the Romans had for those they had condemned to die on the cross. The title "carnifex" meant "meat maker"; he turned the living victims into nothing more than meat, which was consumed by birds and animals, leaving nothing but scattered bones. In my portrayal, one of Balbus' slaves has gathered up the clutter of skulls and large bones along with old wood and rags into a rubbish pile to clear space where these new victims will go up on crosses to begin the process of producing more bones and old wood. Sabina mentions this while she's waiting to see Lucilla crucified:

Verina was quiet for a while after that. I thought about what she’d said as I watched them get the crosses ready. One of the slaves began digging the hole for the base of the X-cross, while the other cleared away the bones and skulls of nameless victims that littered the area where the executioners would be working and added them to a large pile.​

The sight of the remains of previous victims at the place of execution probably did have some effect on the victims as they arrived there, seeing there before them the examples of others who had suffered the same fate that was in store for them and knowing that this is what would become of their own bones once their agony was done.

In the background behind the crosses where the three current victims are being crucified, there are a couple of old crosses with bones scattered around their bases where they fell or were dragged by animals. One of the old crosses has a vine growing up through the bones and climbing up the stipes. I particularly liked that one but it seems it is just in the wrong place and hardly ever is seen in any of the renders. You can see it in the background of these pics:

379342-7f552a0e4d740be668d182a77b8751c3.jpg
379343-ad344dcc48ce38dae2157733df090999.jpg

The best view of it is in this pic, where if you look close, you can see the skull of a victim peering through the vines growing over it.

379347-3d9ba141edabcc45277724a3fda7aba8.jpg

Attachments

• Lucilla Scene 13x2a-13_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 13x2a-13_0001.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Lucilla Scene 13x2a-88a_0001.jpg
    Lucilla Scene 13x2a-88a_0001.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • Sabina Nailing Scene 2x2-13_0001.jpg
    Sabina Nailing Scene 2x2-13_0001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,056
Yes, it's something I've thought of in imagining such scenes - indeed, I mention it in passing in 'The Wheel' -
even in an arid landscape, the regular feed of blood and other nutritious liquids, topped up with slowly decaying bones,
would encourage a growth of sinister vegetation around the crosses - thorns, nettles, brambles, twining plants,
to tangle and torture the prisoners' bare legs as they approach their place of execution.

She was sentenced to be crucified 12 times, the last was to be her execution.
It would be great to see the final episode.

It seems that I've really set that story up and it's captured a lot of people's imaginations! I have given it a lot of thought, and yes, I will get around to writing it but it is in the queue right now.

Talking about watching herself being tied reminds me of these pictures of Lucilla from The Serpent's Eye, watching as they tie her wrists to the cross. First, she's trying to see where she's going, what's going to happen to her once they have her wrists tied. From her viewpoint she might be able to see the base of the cross and the dirt piles around the hole where they will drop it when it's lifted up.

Nice work
H

That was actually my favorite render of that scene. I thought it captured her expression of fascination as she watched what was being done to her about as well as I could have hoped.

That pile of skulls, assorted bones and old patibuli were intended to show the little regard the Romans had for those they had condemned to die on the cross. The title "carnifex" meant "meat maker"; he turned the living victims into nothing more than meat, which was consumed by birds and animals, leaving nothing but scattered bones. In my portrayal, one of Balbus' slaves has gathered up the clutter of skulls and large bones along with old wood and rags into a rubbish pile to clear space where these new victims will go up on crosses to begin the process of producing more bones and old wood. Sabina mentions this while she's waiting to see Lucilla crucified:

Verina was quiet for a while after that. I thought about what she’d said as I watched them get the crosses ready. One of the slaves began digging the hole for the base of the X-cross, while the other cleared away the bones and skulls of nameless victims that littered the area where the executioners would be working and added them to a large pile.​

The sight of the remains of previous victims at the place of execution probably did have some effect on the victims as they arrived there, seeing there before them the examples of others who had suffered the same fate that was in store for them and knowing that this is what would become of their own bones once their agony was done.

In the background behind the crosses where the three current victims are being crucified, there are a couple of old crosses with bones scattered around their bases where they fell or were dragged by animals. One of the old crosses has a vine growing up through the bones and climbing up the stipes. I particularly liked that one but it seems it is just in the wrong place and hardly ever is seen in any of the renders. You can see it in the background of these pics:

379342-7f552a0e4d740be668d182a77b8751c3.jpg
379343-ad344dcc48ce38dae2157733df090999.jpg

The best view of it is in this pic, where if you look close, you can see the skull of a victim peering through the vines growing over it.

379347-3d9ba141edabcc45277724a3fda7aba8.jpg

Sabina Nailing Scene 2x2-13_0001.jpg The heavily blood-stained stipes in this pic certainly add to the atmosphere too.

In the background behind the crosses where the three current victims are being crucified, there are a couple of old crosses with bones scattered around their bases where they fell or were dragged by animals. One of the old crosses has a vine growing up through the bones and climbing up the stipes. I particularly liked that one but it seems it is just in the wrong place and hardly ever is seen in any of the renders.

I had never noticed the vine before, thanks for pointing it out. Another part of your wonderful work.

Though, I did like the skull piles and other remnants of the previously crucified individuals such as the blood stained wood in your work. It adds a lot to the images and really sets your images apart -- even though I imagine its a lot of extra work.

Back
Top Bottom