Victim's Eye View

Go to CruxDreams.com
In the previous scene I posted from The Serpent's Eye, Sabina had fallen to her knees before her cross and Ajax, one of the executioner's helpers, was removing Sabina's shackles. At the same time, Hercules, the other executioner's helper, still had a firm hold on the chain attached to her slave collar and was lifting the patibulum off of her shoulder.

477885-839579cab0e07569bfec72bb0ac8a564.jpg

In the next scene, Ajax is pulling Sabina to her feet where they will remove her slave collar, strip off her loincloth and turn her to face the Carnifex, who will read her condemnation and give the final order for her to be crucified.

When I do these scenes, there's some choreography as I think about what the characters should naturally do and then pose them. In the scene above, Ajax grasps Sabina's right forearm with his left hand and holds it up while he removed the shackle with his right hand. If he's right-handed then that should be natural for him. From there, he tosses the shackles on the ground and grabs Sabina's upraised upper arm with his right hand, then transfers his left hand to her left upper arm and lifts her up from her kneeling position.

At the same time, Hercules drops the patibulum on the ground while holding on to the lead chain.

Sabina comes up awkwardly. She is tired and wasn't prepared to be lifted up like that. All of which makes for some great twists and bends and a very interesting pose. At the same time, the expression on her face shows her pain and terror. Every step in this process brings her closer to being crucified.

Here are a couple of pictures for context, to show a bit of the overall scene:

477886-c5e8cf3801fafaec1bd405f27a8ae29d.jpg
477887-6cdfabea4cc7a40cd65e92de56edbfef.jpg

And here are a few near-victim's eye views:

477888-e972e986eab5ab75053dda30426d274b.jpg
477889-e987f988ea0e9c849d2c5f23c593ec3b.jpg
477890-5ec6e0ed32c08881633a4ad510e578f0.jpg

Attachments

• Sabina Carrying Scene 10-84_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 10-84_0001.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Sabina Carrying Scene 11-52_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 11-52_0001.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 1,191
  • Sabina Carrying Scene 11-80_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 11-80_0001.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • Sabina Carrying Scene 11-99_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 11-99_0001.jpg
    924.6 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Sabina Carrying Scene 11-107_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 11-107_0001.jpg
    928.3 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Sabina Carrying Scene 11-108_0001.jpg
    Sabina Carrying Scene 11-108_0001.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 1,184
# 1 and 4 do a great job of capturing Sabina's emotions, especially the sideways look of her eyes in 4. One can sense the intense combination of weariness, surprise, and fear that must have been racing through her mind as she was hauled awkwardly to her feet, helpless, exposed and in imminent danger of losing her loincloth and last shred of feminine dignity.

# 1 and 4 do a great job of capturing Sabina's emotions, especially the sideways look of her eyes in 4. One can sense the intense combination of weariness, surprise, and fear that must have been racing through her mind as she was hauled awkwardly to her feet, helpless, exposed and in imminent danger of losing her loincloth and last shred of feminine dignity.

Exactly, her eyes instinctively shift toward the source of the threat. The first grip of Ajax's hand was when he grabbed her right upper arm with his right hand, with the grasp of his left hand on her left arm following that. She has to strain to see it because of the collar and chain around her neck which prevents her from turning her head further.

Exactly, her eyes instinctively shift toward the source of the threat. The first grip of Ajax's hand was when he grabbed her right upper arm with his right hand, with the grasp of his left hand on her left arm following that. She has to strain to see it because of the collar and chain around her neck which prevents her from turning her head further.

Now that you mention the chain ... that's one thing that struck me as a little odd .. I would have expected a heavier or courser looking chain ... that one struck me as rather light weight/delicate looking.

In the previous scene I posted from The Serpent's Eye, Sabina had fallen to her knees before her cross and Ajax, one of the executioner's helpers, was removing Sabina's shackles. At the same time, Hercules, the other executioner's helper, still had a firm hold on the chain attached to her slave collar and was lifting the patibulum off of her shoulder.

477885-839579cab0e07569bfec72bb0ac8a564.jpg

In the next scene, Ajax is pulling Sabina to her feet where they will remove her slave collar, strip off her loincloth and turn her to face the Carnifex, who will read her condemnation and give the final order for her to be crucified.

When I do these scenes, there's some choreography as I think about what the characters should naturally do and then pose them. In the scene above, Ajax grasps Sabina's right forearm with his left hand and holds it up while he removed the shackle with his right hand. If he's right-handed then that should be natural for him. From there, he tosses the shackles on the ground and grabs Sabina's upraised upper arm with his right hand, then transfers his left hand to her left upper arm and lifts her up from her kneeling position.

At the same time, Hercules drops the patibulum on the ground while holding on to the lead chain.

Sabina comes up awkwardly. She is tired and wasn't prepared to be lifted up like that. All of which makes for some great twists and bends and a very interesting pose. At the same time, the expression on her face shows her pain and terror. Every step in this process brings her closer to being crucified.

Here are a couple of pictures for context, to show a bit of the overall scene:

477886-c5e8cf3801fafaec1bd405f27a8ae29d.jpg
477887-6cdfabea4cc7a40cd65e92de56edbfef.jpg

And here are a few near-victim's eye views:

477888-e972e986eab5ab75053dda30426d274b.jpg
477889-e987f988ea0e9c849d2c5f23c593ec3b.jpg
477890-5ec6e0ed32c08881633a4ad510e578f0.jpg

Those additional 3d art from ¨The Serpent's Eye¨ reminds me of those Director's Cut movie edition.
Or the deleted scenes that are sometimes included in the DVD (or BluRay) edition !

A great follow-up to this illustrated story....................

Now that you mention the chain ... that's one thing that struck me as a little odd .. I would have expected a heavier or courser looking chain ... that one struck me as rather light weight/delicate looking.

In the opening of The Last Temptation of Christ, the Roman soldiers were dragging a man to be crucified using a chain that looked to be no heavier than that, like a dog chain. I thought at the time that it looked kind of wimpy for a chain to be used for that purpose, but it's not like a victim was going to have much chance to work on it and try to cut or break it. And it's lighter to carry on the way back, too. That chain influenced my scaling of Sabina's lead chain, for better or worse.

I was just looking at some authentic Roman shackles and chains from a paper that I just received, courtesy of Marcius, titled Iron Age and Roman Slave-Shackles. The chains vary in style and size, and none of the slave collars are as big and heavy as the one Sabina wears. Some of the chains appear to be no more substantial than Sabina's, but the links might be a little bigger.

Those additional 3d art from ¨The Serpent's Eye¨ reminds me of those Director's Cut movie edition.
Or the deleted scenes that are sometimes included in the DVD (or BluRay) edition !

A great follow-up to this illustrated story....................

I'm actually going to use some of the renders from these scenes as illustrations in an expanded version of The Serpent's Eye that I will eventually post. These won't necessarily be used in the story, just some renders that might be appropriate to this particular thread.

When I illustrated the story originally, I was trying to do only the most dramatic scenes because it would have taken forever to include relatively minor ones. Now I'm looking at scenes that really are pretty dramatic but fell through the cracks before.

Psychologically I think there is a lot going on during these few minutes where Sabina arrives at the place of execution and while her executioners are making these final preparations to nail her to the cross. I think almost any victim in her place would have to think that this is surreal, it can't be happening. And all of those people watching and not lifting a finger to help her or raise a voice to argue against her crucifixion.

In the opening of The Last Temptation of Christ, the Roman soldiers were dragging a man to be crucified using a chain that looked to be no heavier than that, like a dog chain. I thought at the time that it looked kind of wimpy for a chain to be used for that purpose, but it's not like a victim was going to have much chance to work on it and try to cut or break it. And it's lighter to carry on the way back, too. That chain influenced my scaling of Sabina's lead chain, for better or worse.

I was just looking at some authentic Roman shackles and chains from a paper that I just received, courtesy of Marcius, titled Iron Age and Roman Slave-Shackles. The chains vary in style and size, and none of the slave collars are as big and heavy as the one Sabina wears. Some of the chains appear to be no more substantial than Sabina's, but the links might be a little bigger.
Have to be able to walk

Sabina comes up awkwardly. She is tired and wasn't prepared to be lifted up like that. All of which makes for some great twists and bends and a very interesting pose.
It certainly does! A perfect demonstration of how power controls bodies, this shuddering, sweaty young body in particular.

Someone told me that the new game Outlast 2 includes a crucifixion scene from first person view. (Among other torture scenes)

Another scene with some interesting victim's-eye views is when the executioner has just completed nailing her wrists. After all of the frenzy, panic and stabbing pain she experienced while the nails were being driven in, there is now only the pulsing, throbbing agony of the nails in her wrists, the awful sense of loss, knowing her hands will never be the same, helplessness, and despair as all hope is gone. No one will stop her crucifixion. She is about to suffer what she has seen so many others suffer, the slow, agonizing death of the cross.

Here are a couple of full pictures for context:

Here's what she would see if she looked down her body - mostly breasts, but there are the onlookers enjoying her nakedness, pointing to her private parts and talking about her:

If she raised her head a little and looked down her body, this is what she'd see:

From her right, the nail in her right wrist:

And a victim's-eye view of her left wrist:

And finally a close-up of her face and her nailed left wrist:

Awesome details of Sabina's suffering. Scary, too.

Back
Top Bottom