Vintage Advertisement - political correctness not really given

Go to CruxDreams.com
Not so much politically incorrect ads, as an incorrect product.
When I was a child dinosaurs ruled the Earth and a popular product for children were candy cigarettes and cigars. Often sold in packs that looked like the real thing, they came in the form of paper wrapped chocolate sticks (which I can't find pictures of), a chalky peppermint flavored stick with a bit of red at the tip (so it looked lit) or bubblegum.
ad48.jpgad49.jpgad50.jpgad51.jpgad52.jpgad53.jpgad54.jpgad55.jpg
These played to a child's desire to imitate adults and were sold in a time when most adults smoked. I doubt anyone (other than the American tobacco industry) thought they would actually influence kids to smoke.
When I was 15, I graduated to the real thing.
BTW: I think that last one is from Nixon's 1960 presidential campaign. They probably were selling the real thing to grown-ups and candy ones to kids. That Tricky Dick, what a guy.

When I was a child dinosaurs ruled the Earth and a popular product for children were candy cigarettes and cigars. Often sold in packs that looked like the real thing, they came in the form of paper wrapped chocolate sticks (which I can't find pictures of), a chalky peppermint flavored stick with a bit of red at the tip (so it looked lit) or bubblegum.
They looked like this, right?:sifone:
ch_cig.jpg

I recall, the paper wrapping often stuck to the chocolate, and was difficult to remove entirely!:confused:

I ate a lot of them, but it did not make me a smoker.

, a chalky peppermint flavored stick with a bit of red at the tip
I don't remember chocolate ones in England, but always had a pack of the red-tipped variety to offer to my mates. The trick was to see how long you could hold it between your lips without the end dissolving, and could you talk without it falling out.
I ate a lot of them, but it did not make me a smoker.
Me neither.

My mum's partner just sent me this one, which features a very attractive woman in a wooden tub, which he says he found in an old electronics magazine (electronics world january 1961);

efficientcleaning.jpg

My mum's partner just sent me this one, which features a very attractive woman in a wooden tub, which he says he found in an old electronics magazine (electronics world january 1961);

View attachment 1214842
Never mind the bath-tub - I must get the '6" Injectorall Needle ... with a special fitting to prevent the needle from blowing out of the can'! :risas3:

View attachment 1214842
In those days, the tuners and knobs were analog.
It was a much simpler time.
However, to enhance the electrical connection … dressing the ground and lubricating contacts could produce amazing music!

:p

Kidding?
?

Maybe too many’61 songs!

View attachment 1024949View attachment 1024950View attachment 1024951View attachment 1024952View attachment 1024953View attachment 1024954View attachment 1024955View attachment 1024956
These played to a child's desire to imitate adults and were sold in a time when most adults smoked. I doubt anyone (other than the American tobacco industry) thought they would actually influence kids to smoke.
When I was 15, I graduated to the real thing.
BTW: I think that last one is from Nixon's 1960 presidential campaign. They probably were selling the real thing to grown-ups and candy ones to kids. That Tricky Dick, what a guy.
I actually remember those. The candy wasn't all that good, but I guess that wasn't really the point. I graduated at 13, btw. Smoke free now, though.
though.

In those days, the tuners and knobs were analog.
It was a much simpler time.
However, to enhance the electrical connection … dressing the ground and lubricating contacts could produce amazing music!

Kidding?
?

Maybe too many’61 songs!

I'm more of a 70s girl myself - I guess that growing up listening to my dad's prog rock collection had a big influence on me :)

1961 was like four years before I was born :D

Don't you all just love 70s advertisements?

Here's another one sent to me by my mum's partner - this one is from the March 1978 issue of Electronics Today International, and is an ad for a DIY musical doorbell that somebody decided needed a naked girl to advertise it - and quite rightly so if you ask me :)

ETI-3-78_ChromaChime_Ad.jpg

Here's another one sent to me by my mum's partner - this one is from the March 1978 issue of Electronics Today International, and is an ad for a DIY musical doorbell that somebody decided needed a naked girl to advertise it - and quite rightly so if you ask me :)

View attachment 1263754
I remember a few magazines

View attachment 1263754
I remember a few magazines from across the pond.
With naked ads!
All I thought was, WOW!

Back
Top Bottom