Vintage Advertisement - political correctness not really given

Go to CruxDreams.com
Thought I’d move on from sexism to gun nuttery.

Just wondering how many cowboys needed Thompson Submachine Guns. :confused:
General John T Thompson began developing the gun prior to the US entry into WWI as a solution to the stalemate on the Western Front. The problem was that advancing troops couldn't carry machines with them to counter enemy firepower. Thompson intended the gun to be used as a "trench broom". Other countries had the same idea with varying degrees of success. However, the Armistice went into effect two days before the prototypes reached the front for field testing.

After the War, the Army mostly lost interest so the manufacturer, Auto-Ordinance Co., marketed it elsewhere. There were sales to the US Postal Service, the Marines, numerous police departments, foreign armies and - clandestinely - the IRA. It was also marketed to civilians. Because it was neither a pistol or a rifle, it wasn't covered by most gun regulations. Until 1934, anyone in America could buy, own or sell a Thompson.

General John T Thompson began developing the gun prior to the US entry into WWI as a solution to the stalemate on the Western Front. The problem was that advancing troops couldn't carry machines with them to counter enemy firepower. Thompson intended the gun to be used as a "trench broom". Other countries had the same idea with varying degrees of success. However, the Armistice went into effect two days before the prototypes reached the front for field testing.

After the War, the Army mostly lost interest so the manufacturer, Auto-Ordinance Co., marketed it elsewhere. There were sales to the US Postal Service, the Marines, numerous police departments, foreign armies and - clandestinely - the IRA. It was also marketed to civilians. Because it was neither a pistol or a rifle, it wasn't covered by most gun regulations. Until 1934, anyone in America could buy, own or sell a Thompson.

The British already had such a gun (though they got the design from the US. The Lewis gun (or Lewis automatic machine gun or Lewis automatic rifle) was a light machine gun of US design that was perfected and mass-produced in the United Kingdom, and widely used by troops of the British Empire during the war. Out side the US, where the Tommy Gun was used, the Lewis was the most recognized machine gun in the world.

You left out the most notorious customers for the Tommy Gun, the gangsters!:machinegun::uzi:

Nice Healthy Snack for the kids
View attachment 696904
"From MacDonald's of Glasgow who bake the best biscuits"

I don't think Hannah serves these at her teas.;)

Memories:

The challenge of unwrapping the foil in one piece AND flattening it perfectly THEN eating the biscuit.
Innocent, happy days, how did I come to be here?

Attachments

• A9B0BF97-6878-40EB-8B73-DDB3FEFCDDE9.png
    A9B0BF97-6878-40EB-8B73-DDB3FEFCDDE9.png
    774.1 KB · Views: 22

U.S. citizens can even today own a Thompson with much red tape. You submit an application to the BATF, pay a $200 tax and wait 6-8 months while they do an in depth background check. You must designate how and where you will securely store the weapon and agree to unannounced BATF inspections. Not at all worth it to me, too much $$$$, Thompsons are extremely ammunition hungry $$$$. I can have plenty of enjoyment target shooting with my single shot 2nd Model Brown Bess black powder musket, just a little messy to clean afterwards. :)

I've been to the States three times, but never had the desire to buy a 'biscuit', I know about cookies so probably used that name.

BTW I don't find the Bourbons pictured particularly exciting, though they do sell well.

Aside from the former royal family of France and the current one of Spain, I’d never heard of bourbons before finding that photograph earlier today. ;)

Back
Top Bottom