Vintage Advertisement - political correctness not really given

Go to CruxDreams.com
Nice Healthy Snack for the kids
View attachment 696904
"From MacDonald's of Glasgow who bake the best biscuits"

I don't think Hannah serves these at her teas.;)

A Scottish invention, they were being produced by MacVities until quite recently,
though an internet search suggests they are now made and marketed in Serbia!
But in fact they were a copy of Tunnock's Tea-Cakes, which are still very popular,
made by one of Scotland's oldest bakeries:
'The product consists of a small round shortbread biscuit covered with a dome of Italian meringue, a whipped egg white concoction similar to marshmallow, although somewhat lighter in texture. This is then encased in a thin layer of milk or dark chocolate and wrapped in a red and silver foil paper for the more popular milk chocolate variety, with blue, black, and gold wrapping for the dark.'

A Scottish invention, they were being produced by MacVities until quite recently,
But in fact they were a copy of Tunnock's Tea-Cakes, which are still very popular,
'The product consists of a small round shortbread biscuit covered with a dome of Italian meringue, a whipped egg white concoction similar to marshmallow, although somewhat lighter in texture. This is then encased in a thin layer of milk or dark chocolate and wrapped in a red and silver foil paper for the more popular milk chocolate variety, with blue, black, and gold wrapping for the dark.'
I had American versions as a kid in the 50's. Not big on marshmallow, but the biscuit (my mother, a unrepentant anglophile, called them biscuits) and chocolate were heavenly to a child.:clapping:

https://web.archive.org/web/2011070...om/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2483699913&ShowSims=Y

:D The most splendid of many tasty treats on that Tunnock's Tea-Cake Appreciation Society Forum
is the report that 'Scots consumers have for decades paid VAT on teacakes, especially those produced by Tunnocks in Glasgow, after the UK taxman ruled that a teacake is a biscuit. The European Court of Justice has ruled that teacakes should be classified as cakes, and thus not subject to VAT, and that the VAT thus wrongly levied should be repaid.' :clapping:

:D The most splendid of many tasty treats on that Tunnock's Tea-Cake Appreciation Forum
is the report that 'Scots consumers have for decades paid VAT on teacakes, especially those produced by Tunnocks in Glasgow, after the UK taxman ruled that a teacake is a biscuit. The European Court of Justice has ruled that teacakes should be classified as cakes, and thus not subject to VAT, and that the VAT thus wrongly levied should be repaid.' :clapping:
Three cheers for the ECJ! Another argument against Brexit.

I just went shopping for an antique Brown Bess

https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/british-antique-guns/brown-bess-muskets

and the prices are in the :yikes: range. I found firing replicas that could be had for only a :oops:. May I ask what sort you have?

Davide Pedersoli replica, fully functional. Never try to load and shoot an original, that is if you want to keep both sides of your face intact. Metal fatigue sets in after about 250 years and it'll go BOOM out the wrong end. :eek: I PM'd you about it. :)

You need to visit Kentucky

That's right, c'mon over and we'll taste their wares. I live right in the middle of the surrounding distilleries of Jim Beam, Four Roses, Maker's Mark and Very Old Barton and they're building two more in town this year. My understanding is that the Australians and Japanese can't get enough bourbon whiskey. Naturally I keep some local products in the cupboard. :jump1:

Attachments

• 5D8C1DE4-C111-4CC9-9404-F73AF698E024.jpeg
    5D8C1DE4-C111-4CC9-9404-F73AF698E024.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 23
  • E9DD95BF-61DE-466D-84A3-2BE62FF50BF7.jpeg
    E9DD95BF-61DE-466D-84A3-2BE62FF50BF7.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 27
My understanding is that the Australians and Japanese can't get enough bourbon whiskey. Naturally I keep some local products in the cupboard. :jump1:

I've seen a few ads for it, but I can't say I've noticed anyone drinking it! Someone must be.

No. But I had pairs of polyester pants I’m not proud of.

Mind you, even at their height of popularity leisure suits rather repelled me. A premonition perhaps; they sell them now as Halloween costumes.

https://www.halloweencostumes.com/green-leisure-suit.html

Is that anything like the dreaded safari suit?

43e9491656916c812aa7a4c6d0418e3e.jpgil_340x270.1478250570_hks4.jpgPattern457_grande.jpgrgN3006_safari_narrowweb__300x726,0.jpg

#4 is future Australian Prime Minister John Howard

Back
Top Bottom