Visiting The Jackson Plantation

Go to CruxDreams.com
I've tried to stick reasonably close to history, though in a few of the later chapters I will deviate somewhat. For sources, I should acknowledge "12 Years a Slave", both the book by Solomon Northup and the fine movie by Steve McQueen. Also, most importantly, "The Half Has Never Been Told" by Edward Baptist, who documents the role of cotton in the origin of industrial capitalism and how intrinsic slave-produced cotton was to wealth produced in the Northern US and Europe and the industrial scale of suffering endured by slaves. Many Northerners like Robert Owens profited from that without ever seeing a slave plantation. And the floggings certainly continued and will in the story.

You do seem to do a good job with the authentic history. One problem though. You make the Jackson Plantation outside of Charleston a cotton plantation. To my knowledge, any large plantation in the Low Country of South Carolina would be rice - Carolina Gold! The land has never been conducive to cotton planting.

You do seem to do a good job with the authentic history. One problem though. You make the Jackson Plantation outside of Charleston a cotton plantation. To my knowledge, any large plantation in the Low Country of South Carolina would be rice - Carolina Gold! The land has never been conducive to cotton planting.

Mmmm, I beg to differ. In fact. Sea Island cotton grown along the coast south of Charleston was considered the finest cotton in the world. http://www.scencyclopedia.org/sce/entries/cotton/

But the end was inevitable, the black slaves who had
given the ladies so much pleasure were ordered to
build a gallows and Lady Barbara And Lady Dorothea
plunged together through the trapdoor to their deaths.
Times Were Very Hard At The Plantation

Miss Dorothy Brown,

I like your ending so much better. Now, what does that make me?

An interesting and well written tale, although a bit unsatisfying in the end. After whipping and raping a white woman in the South? Would have liked a reunion plotted after the war. Perhaps in which Alicia solicits Lizabeth and Patsy to help capture and cut off the balls of their two asshole masters — but that’s probably just my vengeful southern nature showing.

Back
Top Bottom