What does your membername or nickname mean? How did you come to your name on CF?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16639
  • Start date
Go to CruxDreams.com
indignor quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus
When you're old and blind, a therapeutic nod in the PM is acceptable.
and eul frequently falls flat on her face in the shit! :icon_pc:
Having a little experience here, I wonder whether Eul might occasionally choose to roll in la mierda (I'm still in Chilean mode) on orders.

Ah it's one of those Google Books that only lets you see certain pages, and won't let me see that one!
But thanks for the link, it's useful to know the details of the book, 2017 I see so should be up-to-date with scholarship.

Ah it's one of those Google Books that only lets you see certain pages, and won't let me see that one!
But thanks for the link, it's useful to know the details of the book, 2017 I see so should be up-to-date with scholarship.

Here is a screenshot of that page... :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-18 Dizionario etimologico-semantico dei cognomi italiani (DESCI).png
    Screenshot_2019-01-18 Dizionario etimologico-semantico dei cognomi italiani (DESCI).png
    237.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Gabriella, most interesting. It confirms that there was one little slip in your note above,
Sebile, Sebille etc. wasn't a name for Charlemagne, but his (second) wife, according to medieval romances;
it's an Old French form of Sibyl. As the entry says, that name is often 'crossed' (incrociato ;) )
with that of the great city of Andalusia, which is probably from an early Phoenician cognate
of Arabic Asfal meaning 'lowland'. So the Sibyl of Seville meets Phlebas the Phoenician :D

Thanks Gabriella, most interesting. It confirms that there was one little slip in your note above,
Sebile, Sebille etc. wasn't a name for Charlemagne, but his (second) wife, according to medieval romances;
it's an Old French form of Sibyl. As the entry says, that name is often 'crossed' (incrociato ;) )
with that of the great city of Andalusia, which is probably from an early Phoenician cognate
of Arabic Asfal meaning 'lowland'. So the Sibyl of Seville meets Phlebas the Phoenician :D

You are right Eul! I had read "wife" but not written it... :D And thanks for all the rest, is really fascinating... :)

A long dead ancestor by the name of William Wragg, I came within a gnat's whisker of calling myself Willy Wragg! :rolleyes::doh::facepalm:
I think we all dodged one there. :beer::D

My name comes from my preferred temperament, with a few letters from my actual name thrown in because I liked the sound of them. Seems silly now, considering that most just call me "Jolly" and have done with it.
THE "OTHER" PART WAS JUST SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF MY SOMEWHAT WHIMSICAL AVATAR AFTER I GOT TO CF - I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO STARTED "HIM", BUT "JOLLY" SEEMS TO SUIT THERE AS WELL.

Back
Top Bottom