What I Don't Know

Go to CruxDreams.com
«What I Don't Know» (2)

I am deep in debt you know.

I am a thief and I have to pay back twofold all I took.

Born a slave, I never owned anything however modest.
That did not pain me as I did not know the experience of possession, of having a thing all for myself.

I lacked for nothing, but desire grew inside me; it became a desire to know that experience.

It grew unseen in the dark, its root in blood – a pale, thin, etiolated stalk that patiently probed its way towards the light to burst into a poison bloom.
And so I saw a thing I coveted, and I took it for myself, and it was mine.

Its absence remained unnoticed.
I had timed my theft well.

I ran the sparkling gems through my fingers and marveled at their purity, but soon I found myself restless and empty and wanting and lacking.

What good was it to own such a thing other than for the purpose of showing it to someone. To show how beautiful I thought it made me.

... and I thought of whom I might show it to.​

And just as they say a slave is only truly a slave if she's been at least once sold – it came to me next, a thing is only truly mine if I can gift it to another – what good was it to own but for purpose of giving it.

... and I thought of whom I might give it to.​

Soon I was lost, because it came to me that if it was so, that the best proof a thing had been mine, was my ability to make a gift of it – then by making a gift of myself, I would …

... and I knew who it was I would give myself to.​

And it made my head spin, my heart race, my voice fail, when she’d said, I am all yours, as by giving what one thing I had, by giving what little I was – I had stolen away something perfect, something worth so much more.

Our absences remained unnoticed.
We stole away, we thieves of each other, we timed our moments well.

Stealing, stealing, concealing.
We had each other then. As seasons passed, we began to think no one else should ever have us, that we belonged to none but each other.

But while we always escaped attention when we stole away together – each for herself, we did not much longer escape attention when we were present.
It was expected of us that we should give ourselves to those whose eyes had turned to us, but ...

... all that came before, you could only guess. All that followed from that moment is written on the black tablet of shame.
Laid face down at the foot of my post of punishment, and you know; you’ve read it.

And you know too, of the simple rules the Despotate decrees, the way that transgressions are weighed and debts are discharged.

Faithless slaves must be discarded and replaced, which has a price.
Although both of us carried no cost of purchase, being born into the ownership of our Master, our entire lives had incurred cost, while the history of our service was voided by our disobedience.
All debt must be honored and debts from misdeed count double at the least.
I, the instigator, took upon me the debt for the two of us.
In all it might run to the price for of a dozen of my like when sold upon the block.

My debt could very well be paid in gold if I had it.

If I’d stubbed my toe on a rock while being led out to my suffering-place and it had turned out a lump of solid gold caked in mud, I could have said a Daemon had openen the earth from beneath and put it in my path to pay my price. It is said that an indeed such an event has occurred, as a Master much enamored of an unruly slave once placed exactly such an obstacle in the path of her trembling steps to the final torment.

It is said anything can occur in the Garden of Unearthly Despairs, and that it is precisely this that makes it the most esteemed of the pleasures and distractions available to the Notables of the Despotate.

Gold is good money and my debt could be paid with it if I had any; but of course I have nothing at all.

Still I must pay.

Pain, too, is a currency.

It’s good as gold here in the Despotate, but not measured by weight. Its value is judged more like the first of the things I have stolen. It is judged much more like a gemstone.

It's in how it is cut.
How it is mounted.
In its purity, its provenance.

What I don’t know is, if there could possibly be enough pain in me that it could be drawn out and still leave anything left of me. You would know though.

Anything????
including this,
Well if you've the cash I expect you can whisk the poor girl to be your personal muse.

You could but it's an overpriced way of buying a slave who might not be in perfect condition! :D

Every now and then a rich mindless fool falls in love with a condemned, outbids everyone and pays the sum for 'running the procedure at their whim', they think it's a grand idea for that whim to be taking the delinquent as their love-slave.

Those are the two extremes... paying the 'debt' all in gold, and releasing the delinquent - or having her pay it all in pain.

The example of the slave who's crucified only for the length of one day, with carefully placed nails and a footrest, shows that might be survivable for lesser transgressions.

Maybe most interesting is mixing both.

A spectator might purchase for instance one 'nailing option' ;)

That reduces the delinquent's 'debt' by the amount of gold paid and (with limits such as not causing premature death) gives the buyer the right to do with the nail as wished.

So, if that nail is used very painfully, that means her debt has been reduced both by the amount of gold paid, and the pain inflicted.
But if the client just pockets the nail as a keepsake and acts otherwise 'merciful' it does less to reduce the debt.

So, it helps her more to hurt her in that case...

... if a victim gets all her 'torture options' sold, and put to use very painfully but not lethally, the question is whether she might just barely get through her ordeal and in what shape.

While if she doesn't inspire visitors to buy into her 'options' before closing time, her debt remains too high and has to be paid off by pain of death...

That might be the last desperate hope... it might inspire a good performance ...

Last edited:
I'm kind of glad Malins isn't a bank manager.... :eek:
OH! I hadn't thought of that. Think of the statement of qualifications needed for the post of loans manager.
Must have advanced degree in accounting.
Prior experience inflicting pain required.
Basic carpentry skills (hammer and nails) an asset, but not essential, depending on the range of prior experience and training.

or Chancellor of the Exchequer :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well to be honest that sort of thing would have been par for the course, the Lord High Treasurer of Queen Elizabeth I was not a man to cross (the Chancellor of the Exchequer just does part of his job it now being held 'in commission' the PM does another bit)....now any Monarch with Malins as a minister might well be very merry indeed....their enemies rather less so :devil:

You people! You need to stop leaking my devious schemes! I guess I shouldn't have mentioned Blythe Masters, blockchains or gaussian copulas. Not everyone would do that. Well we all slip up sooner or later ;)

Anyway really sometimes I just love making up crazy settings and cultures who follow their crazy rules while firmly believing they're justified, logical, and sane, even when it goes to their personal disadvantage. That of course is what from a distance in space and time our culture will look like too...
How can you tell?
you can't of course :D

Pp has been away from the forums for some time and is only slowly catching up with all that has been written over that time.
As a follower of the Stumbling Seeker, Pp did find this thread begun by Malin - a wonderful beginning with that heady mix of fantasy and language and clever undercurrents.

While the story is about the slave bound to the cross in the Garden of Unearthly Despairs there is one standing, watching, who might also play a part. A little surprised that no one had thought to take up the merchant's thoughts Pp spoke with malins and, with her agreement..........

<<What I Don't Know>> (3)

The Merchant's Thoughts

I come to this strange city-state often. It sits neutral, divorced from rivalries and conflicts among neighbours. A place of trade, of negotiation, of secrets and trysts. A place where, if enmity is left at the city gate, a world so different is offered.

No. Not offered. Not really. More available .... to those with the means. The Despotate is driven by gold as is all the world but here is a state where other currencies are also valued. And if you lack gold there are other ways to pay.

Trade is strong and I have goods the Despotate needs. And if I profit so does the Despotate and, as he should, the Despot himself. And if the Despot sees profit then doors are opened. Many were opened to me and then through one door I meet Belialine the Brilliant.

The door to her home opened first then doors beyond to more private places. And in those private places, on velvet pillows and between silken sheets, she guided me in the politics of the Despotate and the families of Notables. And that enriched us both and, of course, enriched the Despot too.

And Belialine opened a door to her sister Asmodelia. Now there was one. Like most an owner of slaves but one who, well, desired to know better the life her own slaves led. Asmodelia did not lack for gold but she deeply desired that delicious pleasure of the other currency. And, in exchange for delivering the currency Asmodelia sought, she enriched me.

And so it goes. Free to come and go. To trade and profit. And, with the right business partner, to exchange one currency for another.

Free to come and go. To involve myself in the goings on. To be here in the Garden and to play a part as much as any citizen. Ahh. No. There I am being modest. Citizens..a loose term...as there are those who are more free than others....

The Notables. Those more equal than the rest. The rules apply there too but they have a hand in their writing. And.....in the ways the rules might be....hmm...bent? And so they may enjoy all the distractions on offer in the Garden.

It was the yellow hair that drew me to you. And the chain. And the newly-wrought nails glinting.

Everything here is beautiful. Adorned. Even the ways of punishment, the suffering, are beautiful. The timber milled and planed and polished. The chain a circlet. New nails glinting like jewels.

So there you are. Different. As am I. And we are almost alone here, you and I. As the others, their backs to us, watch the better sport the brunette provides.

Both different but I am accepted as one with the Notables and I am free. You are a slave. Or you were. Now you are no more than a piece of entertainment. A scene to be watched as it plays out.

I turned over the tablet. You know your crime. And you can guess the value placed on your crime. But still you look down between your breasts and watch me as I read.

What you do not know is the price you must pay or how you will pay it. It is written there. You know that. On the titulus above your head. I step back from the foot of your cross so I can read it and your eyes follow me.

I can speak and understand the tongue of the Despotate but I do not read it freely so I begin to speak the words to myself, lips forming those words as my mind translates.

Ahh ha. Caught you! Watching me intently. Reading my lips. I could have you whipped for that. Or ply the plaited hide myself for some sport.

I watched you earlier you know. When you were whipped. When the snake cut the soft skin of your belly. You writhed. Yes. But that was for punishment and the lash fell deliberately, methodically. The lash falls so differently when it falls for sport.

But you know I watched don't you?

I might not be a Notable but ..... I have gold and gold opens doors and gates to Garden and the distractions therein so here I am.

And you sense I might savour the distractions of the Garden.

I read the sentence again, this time with my fingers playing my beard. Should I let a word slip here and there? So those eyes can read my lips? No. Not yet.

Soooo. From the titulus to your face. Reading you now. Your face easier to understand than words written in a foreign tongue. Your breasts heave with your breathing. Taut belly. And the chain. Cinched tight around your waist, the free end run down, between your lips, deep through the cleft there. The fresh wrought nails through the links. Long enough to force thighs apart, sharpened points leaving deep scratches and dried trickles of blood.

My left hand on your hip, thumb hard against the bone, fingers curled around, tips digging in to the muscle. Right hand graps the chain, fingers forced between iron links and taut belly and twist. The chain tightens, links slip deeper into tender sex, nail points breaking soft skin of inner thighs.

My eyes lock to yours as your body responds.

Hold the chain tight. Twist hard again. Iron link moves across that nub, that hidden cluster of nerves. A nail points upwards towards more tender flesh. Buttock tenses in my hand as it clenches on the chain. A visceral grunt in your throat. But your eyes. They reveal your depths.

A step or two back and a few moments to think. Your crime was in wanting to own something of yourself. To be free to gift just that one piece of your being. And in wanting that you lost it all.

Oh, it can be bought back. You know that inside yourself don't you? And you might yet calculate the price. What you don't know is how you will pay.

Then I throw a few small coins in the bucket beside the tablet at the foot of your cross.

A spark there. In your eyes. As you realise a trade could be made.

That you have something I might desire. One thing you could be free to give.

Last edited:
Pp has been away from the forums for some time and is only slowly catching up with all that has been written over that time.
As a follower of the Stumbling Seeker, Pp did find this thread begun by Malin - a wonderful beginning with that heady mix of fantasy and language and clever undercurrents.

While the story is about the slave bound to the cross in the Garden of Unearthly Despairs there is one standing, watching, who might also play a part. A little surprised that no one had thought to take up the merchant's thoughts Pp spoke with malins and, with her agreement..........

The Merchant's Thoughts

I come to this strange city-state often. It sits neutral, divorced from rivalries and conflicts among neighbours. A place of trade, of negotiation, of secrets and trysts. A place where, if enmity is left at the city gate, a world so different is offered.

No. Not offered. Not really. More available .... to those with the means. The Despotate is driven by gold as is all the world but here is a state where other currencies are also valued. And if you lack gold there are other ways to pay.

Trade is strong and I have goods the Despotate needs. And if I profit so does the Despotate and, as he should, the Despot himself. And if the Despot sees profit then doors are opened. Many were opened to me and then through one door I meet Belialine the Brilliant.

The door to her home opened first then doors beyond to more private places. And in those private places, on velvet pillows and between silken sheets, she guided me in the politics of the Despotate and the families of Notables. And that enriched us both and, of course, enriched the Despot too.

And Belialine opened a door to her sister Asmodelia. Now there was one. Like most an owner of slaves but one who, well, desired to know better the life her own slaves led. Asmodelia did not lack for gold but she deeply desired that delicious pleasure of the other currency. And, in exchange for delivering the currency Asmodelia sought, she enriched me.

And so it goes. Free to come and go. To trade and profit. And, with the right business partner, to exchange one currency for another.

Free to come and go. To involve myself in the goings on. To be here in the Garden and to play a part as much as any citizen. Ahh. No. There I am being modest. Citizens..a loose term...as there are those who are more free than others....

The Notables. Those more equal than the rest. The rules apply there too but they have a hand in their writing. And.....in the ways the rules might be....hmm...bent? And so they may enjoy all the distractions on offer in the Garden.

It was the yellow hair that drew me to you. And the chain. And the newly-wrought nails glinting.

Everything here is beautiful. Adorned. Even the ways of punishment, the suffering, are beautiful. The timber milled and planed and polished. The chain a circlet. New nails glinting like jewels.

So there you are. Different. As am I. And we are almost alone here, you and I. As the others, their backs to us, watch the better sport the brunette provides.

Both different but I am accepted as one with the Notables and I am free. You are a slave. Or you were. Now you are no more than a piece of entertainment. A scene to be watched as it plays out.

I turned over the tablet. You know your crime. And you can guess the value placed on your crime. But still you look down between your breasts and watch me as I read.

What you do not know is the price you must pay or how you will pay it. It is written there. You know that. On the titulus above your head. I step back from the foot of your cross so I can read it and your eyes follow me.

I can speak and understand the tongue of the Despotate but I do not read it freely so I begin to speak the words to myself, lips forming those words as my mind translates.

Ahh ha. Caught you! Watching me intently. Reading my lips. I could have you whipped for that. Or ply the plaited hide myself for some sport.

I watched you earlier you know. When you were whipped. When the snake cut the soft skin of your belly. You writhed. Yes. But that was for punishment and the lash fell deliberately, methodically. The lash falls so differently when it falls for sport.

I might not be a Notable but ..... I have gold and gold opens doors and gates to Garden and the distractions therein so here I am.

I read the sentence again, this time with my fingers playing my beard. Should I let a word slip here and there? So those eyes can read my lips? No. Not yet.

Soooo. From the titulus to your face. Reading you now. Your face easier to understand than words written in a foreign tongue. Your breasts heave with your breathing. Taut belly. And the chain. Cinched tight around your waist, the free end run down, between your lips, deep through the cleft there. The fresh wrought nails through the links. Long enough to force thighs apart, sharpened points leaving deep scratches and dried trickles of blood.

My left hand on your hip, thumb hard against the bone, fingers curled around, tips digging in to the muscle. Right hand graps the chain, fingers forced between iron links and taut belly and twist. The chain tightens, links slip deeper into tender sex, nail points breaking soft skin of inner thighs.

Hold the chain tight. Twist hard again. Iron link moves across that nub, that hidden cluster of nerves. A nail points upwards towards more tender flesh. Buttock tenses in my hand as it clenches on the chain. A visceral grunt in your throat. But your eyes. They reveal your depths.

A step or two back and a few moments to think. Your crime was in wanting to own something of yourself. To be free to gift just that one piece of your being. And in wanting that you lost it all.

Oh, it can be bought back. You know that inside yourself don't you? And you might yet calculate the price. What you don't know is how you will pay.

Then I throw a few small coins in the bucket beside the tablet at the foot of your cross.

Ah, Pp is back writing again! :)

Putting sparks into young ladies eyes, so he is! ;)

A fine Malins - Pp double act! Well, if you're a merchant, then I'm buying! And it seems I'm not the only one...

The Merchant's Thoughts

this is really good....thanks!!

The Merchant's Thoughts

Very nicely done. A worthy addition, building the suspense. Now, does it go further?

Ah, Pp is back writing again! :)
Putting sparks into young ladies eyes, so he is! ;)
A fine Malins - Pp double act! Well, if you're a merchant, then I'm buying! And it seems I'm not the only one...
And it feels good Wragg especially with a few pieces written for an old story that might wake up soon ;) too.

But not sure about the double act. Pp is happy to give Malin some support ..... and hope that the young woman opens her purse strings if she wants to survive :devil:.

this is really good....thanks!!
It is rb. The wonderful tale belongs to Malin. Pp only adds some thoughts of another there.

Very nicely done. A worthy addition, building the suspense. Now, does it go further?
Thank you Jolly. Pp is pleased to be able to add His mark to Malin's tale :D. Does it go further? That depends on the young woman and whether she has the currency the merchant will demand.

And it feels good Wragg especially with a few pieces written for an old story that might wake up soon ;) too.

But not sure about the double act. Pp is happy to give Malin some support ..... and hope that the young woman opens her purse strings if she wants to survive :devil:.

It is rb. The wonderful tale belongs to Malin. Pp only adds some thoughts of another there.

Thank you Jolly. Pp is pleased to be able to add His mark to Malin's tale :D. Does it go further? That depends on the young woman and whether she has the currency the merchant will demand.

00003828.Little.Caprice.jpg Way to go Pp! Good to see you are back in such good form! :clapping:

Just for you, just a moment ;)
View attachment 433522 View attachment 433521

Do you let such a one slip away...
View attachment 433523 View attachment 433529
or by force of your will (having newly discovered your sorcerer-self) bind and seduce her,
she awaits the transfixing spike for her foot...
View attachment 433524
... (and it seems nature's care has provided a sedile...)
View attachment 433525

(And to be honest I never got past TBL ;)

Breathtaking woman. Who is this goddess who graces us?

Back
Top Bottom