What makes a story erotic or not for you?

Go to CruxDreams.com

windar

Teller of Tales
There has been some discussion of this at times on various story threads and in PM threads, but I thought perhaps it deserved a public thread of its own. I'm not looking so much for "Anything with a naked girl on a cross" or "Anything BUT a naked girl on a cross" but rather how elements of plot, character and style affect the eroticism. Though people can comment on anything they like, I am particularly interested on your thoughts on the following:

1. How does a complex plot and/or realistic character development affect the erotic appeal? Increase it? Decrease it? Makes no difference?

2. Does historical accuracy/realism of setting matter?

3. Do you have a strong preference for a level of severity and consensual vs non-consensual or is the quality of the writing more important?

There has been some discussion of this at times on various story threads and in PM threads, but I thought perhaps it deserved a public thread of its own. I'm not looking so much for "Anything with a naked girl on a cross" or "Anything BUT a naked girl on a cross" but rather how elements of plot, character and style affect the eroticism. Though people can comment on anything they like, I am particularly interested on your thoughts on the following:

1. How does a complex plot and/or realistic character development affect the erotic appeal? Increase it? Decrease it? Makes no difference?

3. Do you have a strong preference for a level of severity and consensual vs non-consensual or is the quality of the writing more important?
Do I get time to think about this???

The characters, at least the focal ones, have to be three-dimensional, complex personalities, with feelings, motives and inner conflicts that I can identify with. That doesn't necessarily mean a lot of psychologising or internal monologues, but what they do and say must reveal credible complexity.

I like vivid description and scene-setting, not over-done, but enough to draw me in. Blatant anachronisms or other factual blunders can be distracting, but in fantasies I don't expect over-precise accuracy/ realism.

For me, th quality of the writing is very important - the choice of appropriate, original words and phrases, even the sound and rhythm, make a big difference. I'm not squeamish, but detailed anatomical descriptions, blow by blow descriptions of torture or sexual abuse, soon become tedious and lack the variety and psychological insight of good writing,

The characters, at least the focal ones, have to be three-dimensional, complex personalities, with feelings, motives and inner conflicts that I can identify with. That doesn't necessarily mean a lot of psychologising or internal monologues, but what they do and say must reveal credible complexity.

I like vivid description and scene-setting, not over-done, but enough to draw me in. Blatant anachronisms or other factual blunders can be distracting, but in fantasies I don't expect over-precise accuracy/ realism.

For me, th quality of the writing is very important - the choice of appropriate, original words and phrases, even the sound and rhythm, make a big difference. I'm not squeamish, but detailed anatomical descriptions, blow by blow descriptions of torture or sexual abuse, soon become tedious and lack the variety and psychological insight of good writing,

I find myself in total agreement with Eul's three responses above. I think she said it all for me.

Do I get time to think about this???

812b4OhNniL._UY445_.jpg Tick tick tick ... :p

Realistic characters, certainly. It's important to see the characters as human beings with whom one can empathise.

Depends on the type of story, but jarring inconsistencies can be off putting

Severe cruelty is not especially important to me.

1. Complex plots - when I read material for its erotic content, I don't particularly appreciate "complex plots". My problem is I get easily confused and then lose all interest. So for me anyhow, I perfer my erotic readings to "stimulate" different parts my brain than the problem solving area.

Character development - yes, this is important to me. My rational here is that for the work to have any erotic appeal it must be "plausible". Any work of fiction requires the reader to suspend disbelief. Really makes no difference whether the story is in the past, present or future. The reader must be able to believe the characters are acting consistent within the "universe" the writer created and consistent with the character's own dialog and previous actions.

2. Historical accuracy - this is not very important to me. For example when Richard Manton describes his fetish for tight jeans worn by a convict about to be thrashed in a Victorian prison, I can enjoy it! Doesn't bother me a bit that he projected his fetish backwards in time. That is a time long before jeans were even invented.

3. Level of severity - yea, I'm a wimp and don't find sheer brutality erotic. At the same time, I have no objection to those who do. I have zero use for those who wish to impose their "morality" on others. That is, I abhor the "thought police".

consensual vs non-consensual - my bent is erotic chastisement. "Chastisement" is by nature non-consensual.

These are my preferences and in no way should they influence your writing. You should write to satisfy your own demons.

Regards,
Tired

Excellent thread!

Definitely increase it.

It matters a lot. The idea of a modern young posh white woman (or women) undergoing the very same brutal treatment as people from the past (i.e. crucifixion, galley slaves, antebellum slavery) is a big turn on.

Both are important!

A plot is nice, although it doesn't have to be "complex". On the other hand, I do prefer to have some character development. It makes things much more interesting when I know who this person is and why these things are happening. And, the character's reactions to what is happening makes the story much more compelling.

In case you haven't noticed from my own writing, I do like historical details. Complete accuracy isn't necessary - we are dealing in fantasy after all - but, a certain realism is necessary for me.

The level of severity isn't too important and I'm not very squeamish. Although grizzly methods of execution like flaying or quartering don't appeal to me, I'm not a fan of coldly clinical methods like the electric chair or lethal injection either. But. I do require a degree of authenticity. I particularly dislike stories where a victim is subjected to tortures that would prove lethal in the real world but they survive and even remain conscious. My preference for realism also why I don't general like consensual snuff. The idea just dosn't make sense to me except as suicide and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

1 - Concerning the complex plot, it depends what is the effect that you want to research ... Some simple stories can be attractive in an erotic'side, but in my opinion, they do be linked with realistic characters ... Otherwise, they can quick come into insipid enumerations of erotic scenes like we can see in bad books , entirely devoted to bring male'erections ...
"History of O" is a nice example of what I want to say : the plot is not very complex but the characters are well developped and corresponding so well to our owns , mainly "O" !

2 - There is no interest in following an historical way : in all styles you can make something which is very erotic : historical fiction, sci'fi, fantastic fiction ...... We've many examples of that here, I think ...

3 - The level of severity is not much important ( even dead can be envisaged ) but in a consensual way ... Perhaps it's my nature, but I dont like very much all what is rapes or forced acts ... But all the tastes can be used ... generally, because the readers are in fact, consensual somewhere ...

I think I will be on the same line as most contributors here so far. My answers are also the main lines I follow when writing stories, just because I prefer it that way myself.

1. The story must not be ‘complex’ but there must be at least a ‘plot’, in which the character(s) is (are) worked out to some depth.

2. I check my own stories on historical accuracy. Inaccuracy is a disturbing factor. Intentional inaccuracy is acceptable, as author’s liberty, on condition that it is well framed, and fits the plot. Fictional societies should be kept as credible as possible.

3. No over the top cruelty for the sake of cruelty for me, even if it is intended to be erotic. I prefer consensuality as something implicit to the character. Not explicit (eg erotic eager to get crucified). The conflict between a deep desire of submission, and the struggle of the character’s real life, which eventually will lead (by pushing the limits, but partly unintentional) to the desire becoming real by a punishment.

consensual vs non-consensual - my bent is erotic chastisement. "Chastisement" is by nature non-consensual.
Not necessarily. A common theme in this genre is someone who accepts a caning or whipping or some other punishment to avoid something that they might find worse-exposure of some terrible secret, loss of status or a. As they are suffering, they may regret the choice, but by then it's too late.:eek:
These are my preferences and in no way should they influence your writing. You should write to satisfy your own demons.
Rest assured that I will continue to turn out my usual dreck, regardless of the answers here. :popcorn:

2. I check my own stories on historical accuracy. Inaccuracy is a disturbing factor. Intentional inaccuracy is acceptable, as author’s liberty, on condition that it is well framed, and fits the plot. Fictional societies should be kept as credible as possible.
I agree. You can construct a fictional society if you like and follow whatever rules you wish, but if you want to set it in an actual place and time, you shouldn't stray too far from reality.

personally I enjoy a complex plot, and in my own writing possibly go too far in this direction. I do enjoy the thought processes of the characters, especially where they are thrown into unexpected situations such as a sudden descent from privilege to slavery.
As long as the inaccuracies do not jar I think the author is entitled to some licence. A realistic setting that one can easily envisage helps the realism of the story.

I don't think there is a need for too much graphic detail. Eroticism is in the mind.

I don´t know if my opinions are really helpful, because my first and my synoptic answer to all 3 questions is - it depends.
Mostly it is my current mood. Some days I prefer light fare, that is, a story just written for the fun of it; a story where the author isn´t really looking for the Nobel Prize in Literature. Another time I want to dive deep in a fictional world with much more depth.
The second point is my expectation. After reading a lot of stories in CF I think I know what style I am getting if I read a story written by Tree or windar (and there co-authors :)). If either of you would change your style drastically I would be rather surprised and at least the first minutes I would be disappointed.
Summarized I want to say that there are stories (usually the longer ones) where I expect a complex plot, credible character development and a certain amount of historical accuracy. But there are stories out here, which have nothing thereof and still are fun to read.
Regarding the last question,
I´m not into any gruesome tortures and I prefer methods which are maybe harsh but don´t leave ugly scars, but if it is written in the right setting (like a crucification or a interogation) therefore necessary and credible, I have no problem with that. I don´t need a fine-grained description of every blood-spritz.

I agree with Tiredny about what area of my brain I want to be stimulated by reading the stories here. I don't really want to have to concentrate on a complex plot. But for an erotic story to get out of the gate, the elements of good writing pertain. Believable characters, plausible motivations, and vivid descriptions are important to me.

And accuracy and realism in an historical setting, and consistency in a fantasy setting, is critical. I want to feel immersed in the world of the author. For me that means accuracy of language, customs, manners, clothing, etc. Having said that, I realize that in our little world we're dealing with extreme erotic fantasy. For instance, I'm very aware that the punishment of Mina, in my story, is over the top, and would be unrealistic for the time. I have tried to justify the extremity of the punishment primarily through character (a corrupt, sadistic judge) and setting (a foreign continent where English law may not entirely apply). Whether that works or not is up to the reader to decide.

Of course we all come here to feed our individual demons, and they can have very specific appetites. Personally, I have a thing for non-consensual judicial punishments, involving public nudity, humiliation, whipping, caning, and branding. But one of the great things about this site is the wide range of well written stories. I have wandered outside my own specific interest and read many stories that had an erotic appeal for me that I didn't think would.

I didn't think crucifixion would appeal to me until I read Jedakk's "Serpent's Eye." I don't usually care for sex scenes, but Barbaria wrote a really hot, fully consensual, lesbian scene. One of my least favorite tropes in this genre is the woman who discovers a deep, sexual need for the tortures and abuse she is forced to endure, but Windar's Priya is one of my favorite characters, and she is a cane-slut. I've read erotic fantasy, parody, and even poetry, at all levels of consent and severity, and discovered I have a wider range of interest than I thought.

And while we're on the subject, don't neglect to let the writers know your opinion of their efforts. It's great to get "likes," but personally, what keeps me going as a writer is the comments of readers, whether positive or negative. I don't write "Just for myself." I want my writing to appeal to readers. Sure, you can't please everyone, and ultimately a writer has to write according to his or her own judgement, but still, I think most writers really appreciate feedback.

The idea of a modern young posh white woman (or women) undergoing the very same brutal treatment as people from the past (i.e. crucifixion, galley slaves, antebellum slavery) is a big turn on.

Oh my god, for me too. I have several story ideas with that theme in mind. I wrote one for a paysite involving a time traveler who runs afoul of the Inquistion. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy.

Back
Top Bottom