Windows 7

Go to CruxDreams.com
Use Linux! Not that crap of Microsoft Windows OS, the W10 is a worse of the OS, you are no longer owners of your PC ....

Yes, if you do upgrade to Windows 10, disable Cortana and all the other "helpful" features. What you end up with then is a computer that reminds you when you need an update, but otherwise functions mainly like Win7 (which was brilliant, so of course they had to change it).

What Win 10 does is allow you to easily link your computer to your TV (and other things, but I do not do the "internet of things", so I don't play music, or run my refrigerator with my computer) - this will let you wirelessly run things on your computer and watch them on a smart TV. If you have an old type TV, forget it. I agree it is annoying not to have MovieMaker on Win10.

Otherwise, Win10, like all Microsucks improvements has some nice features and, let's face it, it's an operating system - it's not supposed to do everything, and if it does, there's probably a better program out there that does it better. It loads fast, it is very stable (no crashes on my rig) and I have noticed no incompatibility with software or games. These are all good things.

True Jollyrei, I use W10 for my work but not in internet.
Ubuntu Linux is the OS I use for internet, but also for editing, my story Notturno Veneziano was edited with Libre Office Writer, in the same way as using MS Office... the suite Libre Office is very useful and easy to be used. Gimp replace very well Photoshop.
Mozilla Firefox is the standard browser.
But all is free and you can forget any antivirus and more other things you have to pay...

You can try Ubuntu without changing your OS, write over a DVD the image file .iso, and run it!
https://ubuntu.com/download

**Computer problems** (again) Hello cruxers not sure this is the right place to announce this but here goes. My boot sector is corrupted in Windows 8.1 and recovery disc will not load. So, as far as Windows is concerned I 'm like Popeye in the cartoons "I've had all I can stands, I can't stands no more!", I'm gonna dump Windows and switch to Linux. I am currently on line with Linux Mint via a usb stick and I kinda like it. So I won't be making any of my glorious posts :rolleyes: for a while until I get the new system loaded and all the accessory programs installed. Fear not all my valuable and risque files are on an external hard drive, so no loss there, just the OS is screwed. As the Terminator says "I'll be back!" :D

Fear not all my valuable and risque files are on an external hard drive,
... and you did well !!! I've too ...
A question : how do you get Linux ? Is it on another comput ? Can we upload and install it on an old comput , but in this case , with a new hard disk ?

I don't use linux (yet) as my main OS as a lot of application and games are sadly not compatible with Linux,but i use it
in a virtual machine when i do my online banking as its supposed to be safer.

Yes you can upload it and install Linux on your old laptop:the linux installation will take care of installing itself your new hard disk.

You can download Linux Mint here:https://linuxmint.com/
There are other distribution of Linux but for a Windows user Linux Mint is probably easier
to migrate to.

With the downloaded .iso image of LinuxMint you burn it to a DVD that will be bootable with your old laptop or transfer it to a
USB key but with an old laptop you will probably not be able to boot from USB as this option is only available on recent
computer.

The burned DVD will also be a "live DVD" that can be used to try Linux Mint on your old laptop without installing it on your
hard disk: it will be slower as Linux will load the files from the DVD instead of the hard drive.

You can also dual-boot (you get windows and linux on the same computer) but that is a fairly complicated option if you are not
experienced with installing operation system.

The main advantage of this option is that you can safely surf the net with Linux and use Windows for your old application
that are not compatible with Linux.

Sorry if this sound complicated:Hornet has been playing with computers for the last 25 years as a hobby
and has been obsessed by them since then... :comp4:

**Computer problems** (again) Hello cruxers not sure this is the right place to announce this but here goes. My boot sector is corrupted in Windows 8.1 and recovery disc will not load. So, as far as Windows is concerned I 'm like Popeye in the cartoons "I've had all I can stands, I can't stands no more!", I'm gonna dump Windows and switch to Linux. I am currently on line with Linux Mint via a usb stick and I kinda like it. So I won't be making any of my glorious posts :rolleyes: for a while until I get the new system loaded and all the accessory programs installed. Fear not all my valuable and risque files are on an external hard drive, so no loss there, just the OS is screwed. As the Terminator says "I'll be back!" :D

But u destroyed ur computer with axe or bare hand mr Viking ? Also Linux I know what u mean ;) ;)

Back
Top Bottom