Wtf And Oddities

Go to CruxDreams.com
That is indeed the Aurora.
View attachment 774184
The ship is most famous for having fired the shot that signaled the storming of the Winter Palace during the October Revolution,
She is a museum today, but, like the USS Constitution and the HMS Victory, she is still listed as a commissioned warship.
She is also one of only 5 surviving per-Dreadnaught warships in the world.

ok you've got me curious, what are the other 4? Do you mean immediately pre Dreadnought, or do you include the Victory in that count?

Your home state battleship? ;)

Missouri has a coastline ???? :confused:

ok you've got me curious, what are the other 4? Do you mean immediately pre Dreadnought, or do you include the Victory in that count?

(still in active service!)

I think those are the four, Mikasa was at Tsushima on the other side to the Aurora . Georgios Averof took on an entire Turkish fleet by itself as the Greek battleships were two slow to keep up and then survived both World Wars. Leitha or Lejta fought in World War 1 on the Danube and was a civilian elevator ship for moving gravel from river barges to shore until she was rescued and restored as a museum ship. Parnaiba still patrols the Amazon.

I think those are the four, Mikasa was at Tsushima on the other side to the Aurora . Georgios Averof took on an entire Turkish fleet by itself as the Greek battleships were two slow to keep up and then survived both World Wars. Leitha or Lejta fought in World War 1 on the Danube and was a civilian elevator ship for moving gravel from river barges to shore until she was rescued and restored as a museum ship. Parnaiba still patrols the Amazon.
Mikasa name ship like Mikasa in attack on titan anime :oops: :cat:

A lot of times when I see a pic, I have to build a story to go with it. When I saw the pic below, there story was like that:
When I told my girlfriend that I wanted to present her to my parents, she asked what every female asks:"What should I wear?"
I answered:"You surely have a little black dress?"
For a moment she looked startled, then answered:"Okaaay..."
bdsmlr-394941-0SYwCPrwCj.jpg

A lot of times when I see a pic, I have to build a story to go with it. When I saw the pic below, there story was like that:
When I told my girlfriend that I wanted to present her to my parents, she asked what every female asks:"What should I wear?"
I answered:"You surely have a little black dress?"
For a moment she looked startled, then answered:"Okaaay..."
View attachment 774565

I'm taking this post as a signal that this tread is returning to sexually oriented silliness. And therefore—

4756446C-E911-41A8-89B4-0D4F8B207752.gif

The Mikasa was built by Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness along with several other Japanese warships and there is still a Mikasa Street in the town.

I don't know if it fits here, but I thought this was odd.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50365124

Apparently, a world renowned Napoleonic war re-enactor murdered his 24 year old lover and then fell in a river while carrying bits of her about.

As you do . . . . . .

Apparently he had imbibed a little as well, hence the falling in a river bit.

On an unrelated note, crux strangeness

church-sign-crucifixion-500x250.jpg11_09_02_crucifixion_fun_fest.jpg

The four I was thinking of were the Mikasa, Georgios Averof, Olympia and Aurora.
Leitha doesn't really qualify. She's a river monitor so she's not an ocean going vessel and belongs to an earlier type of warship. She represents a transitional phase from the earlier wooden broadside ships and the later armored, turreted warships.
The term "pre-dreadnought" refers to armored, steel hulled, steam powered, battleships and armored cruisers built before HMS Dreadnought revolutionized warship design in 1906.
HMS Victory and USS Constitution - both still commissioned ships of their navies - are from a much earlier era of wooden hulls and sails.
The Mikasa was built by Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness along with several other Japanese warships and there is still a Mikasa Street in the town.
The guns on the Georgios Averof were also British
During her restoration in the 1980s, it was found that many of Aurora's parts, including the armor were made in Britain.

The four I was thinking of were the Mikasa, Georgios Averof, Olympia and Aurora.
Leitha doesn't really qualify. She's a river monitor so she's not an ocean going vessel and belongs to an earlier type of warship. She represents a transitional phase from the earlier wooden broadside ships and the later armored, turreted warships.
The term "pre-dreadnought" refers to armored, steel hulled, steam powered, battleships and armored cruisers built before HMS Dreadnought revolutionized warship design in 1906.
HMS Victory and USS Constitution - both still commissioned ships of their navies - are from a much earlier era of wooden hulls and sails.

During her restoration in the 1980s, it was found that many of Aurora's parts, including the armor were made in Britain.

And on that point isn't the Victory supposed to be like my grandfather's axe, which has had the blade replaced twice and the shaft 4 times (or some such) :) Apparently only 17% of the original timbers survive, and wood other than oak has been used in various repairs.

Back
Top Bottom