Your opinions / thoughts ...

Go to CruxDreams.com
Hello All,
I am posting a few manip photos and I am asking for your opinion and thoughts of not only the work but also some specific feedback.
I know these are not the best but this are just some working pieces right now. I am looking to get some honest input from the group.

Please see the photos and what kind of specific feedback. All are the same scene with different options. Thank you in advance for your help !!!

For the first two... The subject is just nailed. One with pierced nipples and the other without. Which one do you like?

Test 01 B.jpgTest 01.jpg

Now, same shot but with the subject tied and nailed.
Is the rope needed?

Test 02.jpg

The next three are with the subject wearing two variations of a crown of thorns and one with a crown of barbed wire.
Does she need a crown?

Test 03 B.jpgTest 04 B.jpgTest 05 B.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on these manips.

Hello All,
I am posting a few manip photos and I am asking for your opinion and thoughts of not only the work but also some specific feedback.
I know these are not the best but this are just some working pieces right now. I am looking to get some honest input from the group.

Please see the photos and what kind of specific feedback. All are the same scene with different options. Thank you in advance for your help !!!

For the first two... The subject is just nailed. One with pierced nipples and the other without. Which one do you like?

View attachment 603592View attachment 603593

Is the rope needed?

View attachment 603594

The next three are with the subject wearing two variations of a crown of thorns and one with a crown of barbed wire.
Does she need a crown?

View attachment 603595View attachment 603596View attachment 603597

Do what you like. Some will agree and others won't.

Hello All,

I think I should have nipple-rings - an additional little woman-torture for me,
both having them fixed on, and my Executioners can use them to rouse me
if I seem to be fainting...
(but they're not easy to see, until I open the image in a new tab and enlarge it)

Is the rope needed?

Well, it would be helpful holding my wrists down while they're nailed -
once that's done, they're not really needed, but I think they'd help keep my wrists from tugging on the nails,
so less chance of pulling one of my arms free. The ropes look well with the blood stains,
though a bit too obviously similar, right and left.

Does she need a crown?

I'd choose the barbed wire #2 as crude and cruel, without any of the religious connotations
of a crown of thorns. It would of course make my forehead and scalp bleed, you need to show that.

It's a strong manip, I like the intense facial expression, good muscles in the arms -
I'd like to be crucified in a loincloth like that, though I know Masters here don't generally approve,
they'd rip it off. The legs are nicely flexed, but the toes are a bit odd! The harsh desert setting,
the brutal rocks behind make a good contrast to the girl's nakedness.

I look forward to seeing more, Walt
:devil:

Hello All,

Is the rope needed?

View attachment 603594

Does she need a crown?

Hello, for me fitst pic from 3 pic set is better. I think victim must be tied and naild, wearing classic Crown of Thorns and loincloth. Also feet of this woman are in very beautiful position. And no nail polish, pircings or other modern atributs (my opinion) only classic Crux. Thanks for interesting theme.

I see nothing wrong with the subject or treatment. Some like nails. Some like ropes. Many like crowns of thorns or flowers. There is an ongoing discussion on the sexiness of loincloths vs total nudity. All of this is up to you, and you won't get many complaints (unless you crucify Barb, and then it's more or less constant).

As to the composition, the various elements (woman, cross, base, background) are all good in their individuality, but that's sort of what they look like - individual elements. Some basic shadow work might help to make the crucifix look like it belongs more in the background (if that's what you're going for). I treat a manip sort of like a painting, and try to blend lighting, shadow, and colour using Photoshop. Your images all have a "collage" type feel to them, which again is fine, if that's your artistic intent. You may also be limited by whatever composition software you are using.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, and overall I like your images a lot. Do keep going. Also check out our Crucifixion Manipulation Construction Kit (in the Crucifixion section), if you haven't already found it. Lots of good resources there. Thanks for posting these. :)

I think I should have nipple-rings - an additional little woman-torture for me,
both having them fixed on, and my Executioners can use them to rouse me
if I seem to be fainting...
(but they're not easy to see, until I open the image in a new tab and enlarge it)

Is the rope needed?

Well, it would be helpful holding my wrists down while they're nailed -
once that's done, they're not really needed, but I think they'd help keep my wrists from tugging on the nails,
so less chance of pulling one of my arms free. The ropes look well with the blood stains,
though a bit too obviously similar, right and left.

Does she need a crown?

I'd choose the barbed wire #2 as crude and cruel, without any of the religious connotations
of a crown of thorns. It would of course make my forehead and scalp bleed, you need to show that.

It's a strong manip, I like the intense facial expression, good muscles in the arms -
I'd like to be crucified in a loincloth like that, though I know Masters here don't generally approve,
they'd rip it off. The legs are nicely flexed, but the toes are a bit odd! The harsh desert setting,
the brutal rocks behind make a good contrast to the girl's nakedness.

I look forward to seeing more, Walt:devil:

Thank you for your input !!!

Hello, for me fitst pic from 3 pic set is better. I think victim must be tied and naild, wearing classic Crown of Thorns and loincloth. Also feet of this woman are in very beautiful position. And no nail polish, pircings or other modern atributs (my opinion) only classic Crux. Thanks for interesting theme.

Thanks !!!

I see nothing wrong with the subject or treatment. Some like nails. Some like ropes. Many like crowns of thorns or flowers. There is an ongoing discussion on the sexiness of loincloths vs total nudity. All of this is up to you, and you won't get many complaints (unless you crucify Barb, and then it's more or less constant).

As to the composition, the various elements (woman, cross, base, background) are all good in their individuality, but that's sort of what they look like - individual elements. Some basic shadow work might help to make the crucifix look like it belongs more in the background (if that's what you're going for). I treat a manip sort of like a painting, and try to blend lighting, shadow, and colour using Photoshop. Your images all have a "collage" type feel to them, which again is fine, if that's your artistic intent. You may also be limited by whatever composition software you are using.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, and overall I like your images a lot. Do keep going. Also check out our Crucifixion Manipulation Construction Kit (in the Crucifixion section), if you haven't already found it. Lots of good resources there. Thanks for posting these. :)
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the feedback !!!

I agree with others, some of your questions are a matter of personal taste. Ropes, nails, crowns. I think I liked your first crown of thorns best, but it really is personal opinion. As for ropes and nails, it depends how well you do them. Nails really are easier to do convincingly, so my inclination would be to say they should be the choice for a beginner at photo manips. I also have a personal preference for nails, they are more dramatic and more, well, permanent! And I also prefer no nipple rings. But that's not relevant to your work as a budding manip artists.
One thing that struck me looking at your various versions was how the cross and figure seemed to move against the background from one pic to another. Is there a reason for this? It makes it look like each picture is unrelated to the others, each one is made separately rather than being variations on a single photoshop or paintshop file. How are you doing them? What tools are you using?
Like Jolly, I'd agree that the next step would be to get your components working better together. I'd also like to see the cutting out done more cleanly, this is a very common issue with those starting out in this field. Ragged edges just get to me!
Please take the comments constructively, and keep going. It is by doing and sharing that we improve!

Hello All,

Is the rope needed?

View attachment 603594

Does she need a crown?

I think she looks great, Walt!

Just give your own imagination free rein, if you enjoy your image then it's a fair bet that others will, too. And I certainly enjoyed these!

I agree with others, some of your questions are a matter of personal taste. Ropes, nails, crowns. I think I liked your first crown of thorns best, but it really is personal opinion. As for ropes and nails, it depends how well you do them. Nails really are easier to do convincingly, so my inclination would be to say they should be the choice for a beginner at photo manips. I also have a personal preference for nails, they are more dramatic and more, well, permanent! And I also prefer no nipple rings. But that's not relevant to your work as a budding manip artists.
One thing that struck me looking at your various versions was how the cross and figure seemed to move against the background from one pic to another. Is there a reason for this? It makes it look like each picture is unrelated to the others, each one is made separately rather than being variations on a single photoshop or paintshop file. How are you doing them? What tools are you using?
Like Jolly, I'd agree that the next step would be to get your components working better together. I'd also like to see the cutting out done more cleanly, this is a very common issue with those starting out in this field. Ragged edges just get to me!
Please take the comments constructively, and keep going. It is by doing and sharing that we improve!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I copied an image to each background instead of using the same image over and over. Working the cutting issues. I am not happy with that part of the process. Currently using Photoscape and InPixio Photo Clip 7 to cut and create the scenes.

Manipulations often invite comparison with the original sources, and you have made a good job of blending in a new head and hands to Ramon's figure.
I sometimes use mirror images for the hands, although better results can be obtained by sourcing them individually.

I like to consider the practicalities of the scene, to make it appear convincing.
So, I think in terms of the subject being tied down prior to nailing, after which there is no reason to remove the ropes (which continue to provide additional security.)
Crowns of thorns seem, to me, to be a messianic motif, which is fine if that is your reference.
Ultimately such details are a matter of taste, as others have already observed.

Consideration should also be given to the background.
Sand alone provides an unsuitable foundation unless a permanent stake is deeply embedded - but you have thought about adding wedges and rocks for stability, which is good.
The effect can be enhanced by the addition of shadows, as observed elsewhere.

Sand is also troublesome because of its similarity to flesh tones, and it can visually swamp a Caucasian figure.
Your background contains many colours which reflect those used in the figure and the (convincingly rustic) cross.
Whilst these complement the main subject, the detail of the background distracts the eye, and I would probably be tempted to experiment with desaturating and defocusing everything behind the cross.

Reference to Ramon's original reveals a colour crucifix set against a monochrome sky (with the cloudscape turned through 90 degrees!) and the eye is attracted primarily to the colour component, with the background serving a subsidiary purpose.

Your figure looks as though it has been cut prior to enlargement.
I sometimes obtain better results by making the enlargement before cutting.

Your work looks very promising and I hope you will find my comments useful.
Please carry on :)

POAG-Walt Flint-1.jpg

Manipulations often invite comparison with the original sources, and you have made a good job of blending in a new head and hands to Ramon's figure.
I sometimes use mirror images for the hands, although better results can be obtained by sourcing them individually.

I like to consider the practicalities of the scene, to make it appear convincing.
So, I think in terms of the subject being tied down prior to nailing, after which there is no reason to remove the ropes (which continue to provide additional security.)
Crowns of thorns seem, to me, to be a messianic motif, which is fine if that is your reference.
Ultimately such details are a matter of taste, as others have already observed.

Consideration should also be given to the background.
Sand alone provides an unsuitable foundation unless a permanent stake is deeply embedded - but you have thought about adding wedges and rocks for stability, which is good.
The effect can be enhanced by the addition of shadows, as observed elsewhere.

Sand is also troublesome because of its similarity to flesh tones, and it can visually swamp a Caucasian figure.
Your background contains many colours which reflect those used in the figure and the (convincingly rustic) cross.
Whilst these complement the main subject, the detail of the background distracts the eye, and I would probably be tempted to experiment with desaturating and defocusing everything behind the cross.

Reference to Ramon's original reveals a colour crucifix set against a monochrome sky (with the cloudscape turned through 90 degrees!) and the eye is attracted primarily to the colour component, with the background serving a subsidiary purpose.

Your figure looks as though it has been cut prior to enlargement.
I sometimes obtain better results by making the enlargement before cutting.

Your work looks very promising and I hope you will find my comments useful.
Please carry on :)

View attachment 604350

Thank you for your comments and feedback !!!

Back
Top Bottom