A Capital Punishment Trial in Modern Singapore

Go to CruxDreams.com
Barb’s rant continued for several minutes as the men just stood and listened. The older Anglo, short and very rumpled-looking, with a small mustache, just wore a slightly amused expression which drove Barb to protest further.

“What are you grinning at, you fucking little shit? Are you trying to look like Columbo? Wipe that stupid expression off your face.”

At last Barb had vented her steam and stopped her ravings. She stood staring defiantly at Koh.

The short, rumpled man spoke, “Barbara Ann Moore, I am Detective Inspector W. E. Frost, and I am in charge of this investigation. These are Sergeants Wade and Goh. It appears that you are well-acquainted with Mr. Koh. Please have a seat and we can talk.” He gestured to the chair for Barb as he and the other two sat down across the table.

Barb stood obstinately for a few moments. “What about these damn chains, Inspector Gadget, or whatever your name is. This isn’t fucking fair. I want my lawyer.” The little shit didn’t know what kind of an independent woman he was up against, she thought.

“We can talk when you calm down and be seated,” said Frost in a soothing voice.

The weight of the chains and the awkwardness of her position caused her to sit.

“I want these chains removed immediately.” She whined at Frost.

“I’m sorry, but it is appropriate at this stage of an investigation to have the suspect restrained for the safety of all, including herself.”

Barb was about to object, but halted as she digested the word, “suspect.” She was a suspect! Oh God! Had Rose accused her starting the fight? That wouldn’t be fair. Where was her lawyer?

Last edited:
Barb was about to object, but halted as she digested the word, “suspect.” She was a suspect! Oh God! Had Rose accused her starting the fight? That wouldn’t be fair. Where was her lawyer?

This isn’t going so well for me, is it? :facepalm:

You put a spoiler in the title?? :eek: This is like calling a thriller “The Case of Lord Whippington-Bottomley who was Brutally Bludgeoned to Death by his Housekeeper with a plaster bust of Pliny the Elder, even though everyone Thought it Was the Butler what done it with a Rolling-pin”
I merely intended to say that the story would study the possible implementation of Capital Punishment in Singapore. It is a cautionary tale, much like Rebecca and the Bloody Codes. Any of a large number of things could happen to Barbara. However, to date, she has managed to eliminate over 16% of the non-lethal conclusions that were possible. Will she keep digging her own grave?
In the end,
she will get what she deserves.

CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE
(CHAPTER 68)
REVISED EDITION 2012

23.—(1) If, during an investigation, a person (referred to in this section as the accused) is charged with an offence or informed by a police officer or any other person charged with the duty of investigating offences or charging offenders that he may be prosecuted for an offence, he must be served with and have read to him a notice in writing as follows:

“You have been charged with [or informed that you may be prosecuted for] —
(set out the charge).

Do you want to say anything about the charge that was just read to you? If you keep quiet now about any fact or matter in your defence and you reveal this fact or matter in your defence only at your trial, the judge may be less likely to believe you. This may have a bad effect on your case in court. Therefore it may be better for you to mention such fact or matter now. If you wish to do so, what you say will be written down, read back to you for any mistakes to be corrected and then signed by you.”.

CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CODE
(CHAPTER 68)
REVISED EDITION 2012

23.—(1) If, during an investigation, a person (referred to in this section as the accused) is charged with an offence or informed by a police officer or any other person charged with the duty of investigating offences or charging offenders that he may be prosecuted for an offence, he must be served with and have read to him a notice in writing as follows:

“You have been charged with [or informed that you may be prosecuted for] —
(set out the charge).

Do you want to say anything about the charge that was just read to you? If you keep quiet now about any fact or matter in your defence and you reveal this fact or matter in your defence only at your trial, the judge may be less likely to believe you. This may have a bad effect on your case in court. Therefore it may be better for you to mention such fact or matter now. If you wish to do so, what you say will be written down, read back to you for any mistakes to be corrected and then signed by you.”.
A wordy variation of the old standard British caution, "You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so, but anything you do say will be taken down in writing and may be used in evidence"

“Miss Moore, the Singapore rules of police procedure require me at this point to caution you.”

At last, thought Barb, Miranda. I’m simply not going to talk until my lawyer is here.

Frost placed a laminated card on the table in front of her. “You, Barbara Ann Moore [God, why did he keep using her middle name? – she hated the Beach Boys reference] are informed that you may be prosecuted for the offences of assault and battery and culpable homicide.” Barb gasped in horror. How badly was Rose hurt.

“Do you want to say anything about the charge that was just read to you? If you keep quiet now about any fact or matter in your defence and you reveal this fact or matter in your defence only at your trial, the judge may be less likely to believe you. This may have a bad effect on your case in court. Therefore it may be better for you to mention such fact or matter now. If you wish to do so, what you say will be written down, read back to you for any mistakes to be corrected and then signed by you.”

Frost stopped and was silent. Barb was confused. Distracted by concern over what had happened to Rose, she hadn’t quite followed the caution. Stubbornly she refused to admit her confusion.

“Is Rose OK? I didn’t hit her hard. How is she?’

“I’m afraid that I cannot share that information with you at this time,” Frost responded. He spoke in a quiet, level voice with no emotion which irritated Barb. “Do you acknowledge the caution?”

Barb tried to remember what he’d said. Did it include her right to an attorney being present? She had to get him to repeat it.

“I want you to repeat it. You weren't clear the first time.” Barb had a bad habit of shifting the blame for her mistakes onto others.

“Of course,” Frost said in his best soothing voice. “Though it is clearly printed on that card in English in large type. I assumed you could read.” Frost was well-known for subtle and not-so-subtle, cutting remarks. He repeated the entire caution.

“I didn’t catch the part where I have the right to a lawyer present before you question me.” Barb stated a little defiantly, looking at the card.

“That’s because it isn’t in the caution nor in the Statutes and Rules of procedure for Singapore. You are not in the United States anymore, Miss Moore. Singapore grants you the right to the aid of an attorney when you are prosecuted for a crime, but that right explicitly does not extend to the initial police investigation. You must only be given access to an attorney within a reasonable time of arrest.”

“W…what,” stammered Barb. “That is SO unfair! If that’s the way you act, I won’t say anything.”

“That is your right. You may not be forced to incriminate yourself. Though, as stated in the caution, if you have anything to say that would show your innocence, you should say it now. If you do not, when you do raise it in court, the judge is inclined to not believe you under our laws.”

Oh my God! thought Barb. What can I do? They have to believe me.

“Miss Moore, the Singapore rules of police procedure require me at this point to caution you.”

At last, thought Barb, Miranda. I’m simply not going to talk until my lawyer is here.

Frost placed a laminated card on the table in front of her. “You, Barbara Ann Moore [God, why did he keep using her middle name? – she hated the Beach Boys reference] are informed that you may be prosecuted for the offences of assault and battery and culpable homicide.” Barb gasped in horror. How badly was Rose hurt.

“Do you want to say anything about the charge that was just read to you? If you keep quiet now about any fact or matter in your defence and you reveal this fact or matter in your defence only at your trial, the judge may be less likely to believe you. This may have a bad effect on your case in court. Therefore it may be better for you to mention such fact or matter now. If you wish to do so, what you say will be written down, read back to you for any mistakes to be corrected and then signed by you.”

Frost stopped and was silent. Barb was confused. Distracted by concern over what had happened to Rose, she hadn’t quite followed the caution. Stubbornly she refused to admit her confusion.

“Is Rose OK? I didn’t hit her hard. How is she?’

“I’m afraid that I cannot share that information with you at this time,” Frost responded. He spoke in a quiet, level voice with no emotion which irritated Barb. “Do you acknowledge the caution?”

Barb tried to remember what he’d said. Did it include her right to an attorney being present? She had to get him to repeat it.

“I want you to repeat it. You weren't clear the first time.” Barb had a bad habit of shifting the blame for her mistakes onto others.

“Of course,” Frost said in his best soothing voice. “Though it is clearly printed on that card in English in large type. I assumed you could read.” Frost was well-known for subtle and not-so-subtle, cutting remarks. He repeated the entire caution.

“I didn’t catch the part where I have the right to a lawyer present before you question me.” Barb stated a little defiantly, looking at the card.

“That’s because it isn’t in the caution nor in the Statutes and Rules of procedure for Singapore. You are not in the United States anymore, Miss Moore. Singapore grants you the right to the aid of an attorney when you are prosecuted for a crime, but that right explicitly does not extend to the initial police investigation. You must only be given access to an attorney within a reasonable time of arrest.”

“W…what,” stammered Barb. “That is SO unfair! If that’s the way you act, I won’t say anything.”

“That is your right. You may not be forced to incriminate yourself. Though, as stated in the caution, if you have anything to say that would show your innocence, you should say it now. If you do not, when you do raise it in court, the judge is inclined to not believe you under our laws.”

Oh my God! thought Barb. What can I do? They have to believe me.
Try telling the truth, minus the abuse, that might be a useful start.

Interview room #1, Central Station Holding Facility, Sunday March 9, 6:56 PM

“Alright, alright. Geeze, it’s not fair, but I’ll talk. I’m completely innocent and I can prove it. What do you want me to say?” Barbara said with a whine.

Ignoring her tone, Frost said, “You are very wise to cooperate young lady. We just want the truth so we can understand what happened.”

“Oh, I never say anything but the truth!” interjected Barb. “Honesty is the best policy, you know.”

“Yes, of course,” replied Frost, struggling not to smirk. “Sergeant Goh will write down what you say and afterwards you may read it for accuracy and sign it. That will establish your version of what happened. Just tell us the story in your own words. What was your relationship with Rose and what happened in the anteroom?”

Frost still wore his slightly bemused expression. The detective had trained himself over the years to remain emotionally uninvolved in his cases to maintain clear judgement and reasoning. He was glad that Moore had decided to cooperate since it would simplify the questioning. But, despite his best efforts, the rude, and crude comments along with her condescending attitude, had already caused him to look on her with disfavor. He willed himself to try to maintain a neutral expression and attitude.

Barbara took a deep breath and began to speak.

She poured out a rapid and disjointed history of her time in the Detention facility and the actions of Rose Lin in persecuting her. She omitted how she, herself, had started the feud by unjustly accusing the other woman.

Sergeant Goh had to ask her on several occasions to pause or slow to allow him to keep up an accurate record. She partially accommodated, but the emotional stress she was under kept driving a manic desire to present her side.

Having portrayed Rose as a kind of demon from Hell, Barb then made the incredible claim that she had always liked Rose and didn’t blame her for anything. In fact, she felt sorry for her cellmate, trapped by the same unjust system that was persecuting her.

Barb recited how that had left the Head Matron’s office together and Barb had generously offered to let bygones be bygones. Inexplicably, Rose was having none of it.

There hadn’t really be a fight, Rose sarcastically thanked Barbara for being so forgiving and fair and reluctantly turned to shake Barb’s hand and apologize for her bad behavior.

However, there was a wet or greasy spot on the floor and Rose had slipped as she turned. Barb had heroically tried to catch her, but she fell against the desk. It must have been the jail’s fault for poor maintenance. Barb had tried to save the other girl. Rose would tell them so when she recovered.

Some facts Barb presented were not too far from the truth, though significantly slanted in her favor. At several points, Koh couldn’t help rolling his eyes in disbelief which only drove Barb to more emphatic and outrageous statements.

When Barb finally wound down, Frost began asking a few clarifying questions about the actual confrontation. Barb quickly responded without thinking and made noticeable changes in her story several times. In the end, Frost had all he thought he needed and had her read her statement.

Interview room #1, Central Station Holding Facility, Sunday March 9, 6:56 PM

“Alright, alright. Geeze, it’s not fair, but I’ll talk. I’m completely innocent and I can prove it. What do you want me to say?” Barbara said with a whine.

Ignoring her tone, Frost said, “You are very wise to cooperate young lady. We just want the truth so we can understand what happened.”

“Oh, I never say anything but the truth!” interjected Barb. “Honesty is the best policy, you know.”

“Yes, of course,” replied Frost, struggling not to smirk. “Sergeant Goh will write down what you say and afterwards you may read it for accuracy and sign it. That will establish your version of what happened. Just tell us the story in your own words. What was your relationship with Rose and what happened in the anteroom?”

Frost still wore his slightly bemused expression. The detective had trained himself over the years to remain emotionally uninvolved in his cases to maintain clear judgement and reasoning. He was glad that Moore had decided to cooperate since it would simplify the questioning. But, despite his best efforts, the rude, and crude comments along with her condescending attitude, had already caused him to look on her with disfavor. He willed himself to try to maintain a neutral expression and attitude.

Barbara took a deep breath and began to speak.

She poured out a rapid and disjointed history of her time in the Detention facility and the actions of Rose Lin in persecuting her. She omitted how she, herself, had started the feud by unjustly accusing the other woman.

Sergeant Goh had to ask her on several occasions to pause or slow to allow him to keep up an accurate record. She partially accommodated, but the emotional stress she was under kept driving a manic desire to present her side.

Having portrayed Rose as a kind of demon from Hell, Barb then made the incredible claim that she had always liked Rose and didn’t blame her for anything. In fact, she felt sorry for her cellmate, trapped by the same unjust system that was persecuting her.

Barb recited how that had left the Head Matron’s office together and Barb had generously offered to let bygones be bygones. Inexplicably, Rose was having none of it.

There hadn’t really be a fight, Rose sarcastically thanked Barbara for being so forgiving and fair and reluctantly turned to shake Barb’s hand and apologize for her bad behavior.

However, there was a wet or greasy spot on the floor and Rose had slipped as she turned. Barb had heroically tried to catch her, but she fell against the desk. It must have been the jail’s fault for poor maintenance. Barb had tried to save the other girl. Rose would tell them so when she recovered.

Some facts Barb presented were not too far from the truth, though significantly slanted in her favor. At several points, Koh couldn’t help rolling his eyes in disbelief which only drove Barb to more emphatic and outrageous statements.

When Barb finally wound down, Frost began asking a few clarifying questions about the actual confrontation. Barb quickly responded without thinking and made noticeable changes in her story several times. In the end, Frost had all he thought he needed and had her read her statement.
Relatively close to the truth, but probably too little too late.

But, despite his best efforts, the rude, and crude comments along with her condescending attitude, had already caused him to look on her with disfavor. He willed himself to try to maintain a neutral expression and attitude.

Commendable

Having portrayed Rose as a kind of demon from Hell, Barb then made the incredible claim that she had always liked Rose and didn’t blame her for anything.

Well as someone once said, if you’re going to tell one ....

... Make it a WHOPPER! ;)

Back
Top Bottom