A Little Night Music ...

Go to CruxDreams.com
As you may know, during these strange times of Covid-19, I am working at night in a big and relatively new hotel of a famous international hotel chain in Germany.

It is also a very strange but relatively well paid job right now because I am usually combining and sending relatively empty automatically created revenue reports of this hotel to a headquarter in the USA via eMails, I am making security walks through an almost empty building, working alone, no one controls me or how am I working. I sometimes think, I could also be the only person in a space station in unusual times. Last year, there were a few times in summer, when we had 350 guests in one week-end, now we are glad when there are 25.

Although tourists and private persons are not allowed right now to become our guests right now, we sometimes have some guests, for example special workers for the national railroad company "Bundesbahn" or persons with special permissions by the state authorities, police or the military, but most of them are sleeping when I am working. I control all the computers and check in the rare guests who come late at night. I usually see them only once and never again.

At the same time, there is usually slow and usually very beautiful music to be heard in the lobby around the reception and there is no one to hear this automatically played music except me. No one could tell me up to now who is making the playlists somewhere in this world, but I would like this person because the compilation is sometimes simply incredible.

Because I am also able to see some of the various videos of these pieces of music - guests are unable to see what compilations I can see - so I thought, it is a pity that no one except me is hearing or viewing them right now, so I will put some of them in right here and I hope, you are similar excited, thrilled or even shocked like me, when I was listening or watching this music, which all was really played in this hotel at night during the last months:

By the way, there is also the " 'Original's' horror version" of this song by Milla Jovovich, who really seems to be a fan of "Parcels", but this version certainly was never played or shown in our hotel:

On the other hand, alone at night in such a big hotel building with long corridors, you really understand how someone got the idea of making this famous movie or similar movies:

On the other hand, alone at night in such a big hotel building with long corridors, you really understand how someone got the idea of making this famous movie or similar movies:
From reading your first lines, 'The Shining' came up to me!

There have been occasions in my life, I did night shifts too. Although it was not in large, empty buildings with long corridors, it always had that strange quiet. Working alone, the supervisors are asleep, the responsability weighs both lighter and heavier.

Slowly letting the night pass by, waiting for the morning, while on work, then being relieved, longing to bed, while others start their job.

Maybe I am now to old for it, but I still recall the special atmosphere of these jobs.

To be honest, the responsability of the "Night Auditor" is a bit of madness in many hotels in the world. In our hotel, there were sometimes two "Night Auditors", when there were really many guests but there are a lot of hotels with only one. There are still many strange and weird guests who are forgetting over night that they are in a hotel, or there are really a few somnambulists / sleepwalkers wandering around, people who really cannot sleep during full moon and people who are addicted to cigarette smoking at night.

In earlier times, I would not have believed how many people are not really "normal" - OK, I know, it's funny to be in this forum here and complain about "not normal people" ;) - but there are people who are much more "a-normal" than most of us here ... and when you take all of this into account with often full hotels in the past and how relatively few accidents are happening in the world in hotels at night with only one Night Auditor but several hundred guests with always a few madmen beneath them ...

Hrm, in my opinion, these "non-happening catastrophes" are almost close to an indirect proof of the existence of a "higher benevolent power". ;)

But as long as the music is good I accept this responsability of which my manager once said: "At night, you are the boss of this hotel. You can deny any guest from check-in when this person looks somehow "suspicious" for you and I will always support your decision. When you think, it is necessary, call the police, call an ambulance or the fire brigades, whatever you need! I trust you and you can decide about this hotel whatever you want until I arrive in the morning."

OK, that was a bit too much for me for the first night and I must have looked a bit pale because the manager said additionally: "Sie schaffen das schon! Glauben Sie mir!"
(= "You can do it! Believe me!")
:eek:

OK, as long as all madmen are really sleeping ... :cool:

But there was some more "nice music" last night:

This was a really weird week at "my" hotel. I think I will write something about it in my thread about German & Austrian culture ... but the music at night was nice again:

The last minute of this version shows how good Katie Melua sings:

Last edited:
Last night, there was also played this song - in my humble opinion by far the best cover and remake song version in music history, even confirmed by Sting himself:

Some videos are better than the some of the new versions of the music in it, but the pictures in them are really great:

OK, I must admit that there were different versions or different songs from these movies played at night in "my" hotel, but they remembered me of these versions which I always found "fantastic", for example in the first video the perfect timing of the song and the "hero" switching off the light at the perfect moment:

... and this version has something "transcendental" for me:

... and these versions are very special for me, the first one because it is said that this was the first take of the scene and Meryl Streep was already as perfect as I could think of ... in some other scenes the actors were incrdibly funny ... etc. Altogether, this is one of the best musical movies ever for me:

In this first song which is somehow fitting to haircuts in Covid-19-times, we might ask ourselves what might have happened if the person behind the camera had said: "We need another take because this video has a very bad quality!" :

Somehow a nice "European video" :

By the way, what is Sally Oldfield doing today? I did not hear anything of her for a long time:

Seems to be a cold and dark "Sommer", but it is somehow fitting in our times, too:

Sometimes, there are coincidences in life of which you do not know if they are not somehow intended by someone in a higher or another dimension.
During the last months, I was "lend out" from my hotel chain to another one in South Germany and I was working there with a very friendly receptionist who was born in Egypt but raised in Bavaria and I found it really strange to work together with a friendly young man who spoke fluent Arabic with guests from Arabian countries and with me German with a Bavarian accent. Almost hard to believe how many different lives and fates you can meet at a hotel's reception. When we worked together in one week, there was in the background once a night playing the same song list and once a night this song from Sting and Cheb Mami, who was at that time one of the greatest singers of Algeria, but who obviously had a dark side of his character, because he was imprisoned in France for 3 years because of severely mistreating his pregnant girl-friend!
Anyway, this song will now always remind me of my friendly Egyptian colleague with the Bavarian accent and it will remind me of one of my girl-friends with an unbelievable erotic perfume:

Back
Top Bottom