A Philosophical Thread about Good & Evil - Catastrophes, Coincidences & Theodicy

Go to CruxDreams.com
Modern physics - which I admit I find mind-blowing - certainly puts our brief moment of consciousness into perspective, natural science - evolution, genetics, etc., which I do understand and find fascinating - puts us humans in our (far from supreme or central) place. But for understanding myself, coming to terms with the complexity of being human, working out how to live the 'good life', it's to the insights of creative writers, philosophers, and - yes - religious teachers that I turn.
This is perfectly in accord with the holy text.. in The Hitch-hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, a super-intelligent alien civilisation builds a massive computer (called “Deep Thought”) to answer the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. After 7.5 million years of calculating, the computer finally informs the descendants of its creators that the Answer is 42. When they protest that this wasn’t the sort of answer they had been hoping for, the computer suggests that perhaps they should build an even bigger computer to work out why. For me, this perfectly expresses the limits of scientific knowledge ... the answers we get never satisfy us, but only raise more questions.

Science can give us the answers but can never satisfy us.. art, music, meditation, and “spiritual” activity can satisfy us but can never give us the answers. I think we will always need both the “Speak-Your-Weight machine” of science and the “Ghost-train” of whatever the hell all the rest of it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the idea of the flat DVD earth is becoming more and more sympathetic to me. "Captain, we accidentally rammed the outer wall of the earth with our icebreaker. The thing has a hole and the entire ocean is starting to leak. Full power back we are disappearing here, maybe nobody saw us." Or also: "The human rights activists have complained that our types of execution such as crucifixion or hanging were too cruel, so we just throw those condemned to death over the outer wall."
"Irony Off"
This is not true! Actually, the ocean water simply runs off from the flat earth. The water is replaced by rain.:paraguas::D

Just to mention that strange concept that, at the edge of a 'flat Earth' you can fall off. Where do you fall into? There must be a gravity force below that flat Earth? Here is an urban legend about flat Earth that has really gone around. In my ancestral village, there was in the late 19th century a man who had traveled to Argentina. There was a rumour that he had been 'at the edge of Earth' . There was no risk of falling off, but the skies touched ground level there, so he could simply use the clouds to wash his hands.

By the way, did you know thet somewhere amidst the ocean there is a buoy floating. It is attached by a chain to a plug, that covers a drain in the ocean floor, some 5000 m deep. Ship captains are warned to avoid the area, since hitting the buoy risks to rip out the plug and, like the emptying of a bathtub, the oceans will empty themselves completely, through the drain into the Earth's core.

This is not true! Actually, the ocean water simply runs off from the flat earth. The water is replaced by rain.:paraguas::D

Just to mention that strange concept that, at the edge of a 'flat Earth' you can fall off. Where do you fall into? There must be a gravity force below that flat Earth? Here is an urban legend about flat Earth that has really gone around. In my ancestral village, there was in the late 19th century a man who had traveled to Argentina. There was a rumour that he had been 'at the edge of Earth' . There was no risk of falling off, but the skies touched ground level there, so he could simply use the clouds to wash his hands.

By the way, did you know thet somewhere amidst the ocean there is a buoy floating. It is attached by a chain to a plug, that covers a drain in the ocean floor, some 5000 m deep. Ship captains are warned to avoid the area, since hitting the buoy risks to rip out the plug and, like the emptying of a bathtub, the oceans will empty themselves completely, through the drain into the Earth's core.
I saw a documentary in which gigantic CGI monsters came out of that plug hole and had to be bitch slapped by equally gigantic CGI robots :eek:

I saw a documentary in which gigantic CGI monsters came out of that plug hole and had to be bitch slapped by equally gigantic CGI robots :eek:
Oh, that's why it is always said that it is so dangerous in the Bermuda Triangle. One tries to prevent someone from pulling the plug out of the sea. But maybe this plug is also in the Mariana Trench. There is supposed to be a triangle that is dangerous for ships. Maybe those monsters there just want to play a little underwater with the ships? "They don't do anything, they just want to play."

With greatest respect, I don’t feel the same way; I count myself lucky that members whose first language is not English take the trouble to write in my language at all. I certainly couldn’t write in theirs. Unless they’re French. But I would certainly make mistakes... and would hope to be treated kindly. :p

Back
Top Bottom